Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:55 am

NFSUG was an awesome game. Loved the street racing aspect with shortcuts and the "pimping" of cars which definitely fit in during the era of F&F and pimp my ride

That game + Live 06 introduced me to Lupe fiasco
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:36 am

I put more time into NFS and getting close to the end. Less pleased with it the more I play it. The sense of progression is lacking, the story is terrible and the rubber band AI is pretty lame. It's a competent racer and is just the kind of game I was missing this generation, but midnight club la is superior in every way except graphics.

6/10
Lamrock

Postby Cpt(K) on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen -- I've just finished leveling all vocations to maximum for both my Arisen, and his main pawn. Then I actually completed the game and post-game, and have entered new game plus. Tonight I've just finished clearing bitterblack isle for Daimon's first form, and am working on clearing it again for his second form.

I edited the appearance of my Arisen and main pawn for a more adolescent look. The way the game is designed I could've had him start from child stature and then grow steadily until the end. Both of my Arisen and his main pawn are infinitely leveled already -- could've been more immersing if I used character edit more frequently while leveling up.

When the game hits PC in January (hopefully without delay) I'm definitely buying it with hopes of a good port, and a willing mod community (*cough* nexusmods) to pick it up. Literally the most underrated game I've played (besides PSN exclusive StarHawk).

Currently no multi-player functions, but a "companion-exchange" where you can hire other player's companions (main pawns) as support (support pawns). With seeing what's developed with Fallout 3/NV on PC - perhaps cooperative play won't be too far off. After all there's a spin off simply titled "Dragon's Dogma: Online," which is currently in beta.

If you're interested in hiring my main pawn -- Arisen: Biorr (Mystic Knight) Main Pawn: Astraea (Strider) PSN ID: Capt_Keith (needed for pawn search)
Cpt(K)

Postby deihatein on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:47 am

Last month or so I tried to beat Strider(which I got from the sweet Humble Capcom Bundle), but got delayed due to personal reasons then kind of forgotten about it, then I tried Resident Evil 4 but that too got backlogged (that only got played for like 30 minutes). Last week I tried again to beat Strider again but it got delayed again due to Binding of Issac. Then this week I got a New 3DS XL and I'm playing Pokemon Y and Monster Hunter on it. I also have Final Fantasy X and Soul Sacrifice Delta for the Vita on the sideline while still playing NBA 2K15 casually.

Seriously am I not going to beat a game again? The last time I played and manage to finish a game was Sly Cooper 1 for the Vita and that was like 3 months ago. I don't know why I even bother playing games right now knowing I'm going to stop halfway through. What the fuck.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:40 pm

I bought Until Dawn on sale at Gamestop for $30 on their pre-BF sale. I am a big fan of the Quantic Dream games (Beyond: Two Souls & Heavy Rain). Love the idea that games are basically $60 movies and they shouldn't pretend like they're not movies even though all you're doing is moving the game along to the next cutscene. I love how Quantic Dream creates true multiple endings (not like Telltale games' "your actions will be remembered" bullshit) so that not every player's experience will be the same. You are in control of your experience.

I had heard that Until Dawn is a game that's done the same way... I got it yesterday, was instantly hooked and finished today in about 8-9 hours of total gameplay. I fucked up a few times, so I actually plan on replaying the whole game again since it wasn't that long. I might "share play" it with my friend and have him play on my screen. The Quantic Dream games were so great, but I didn't wind up replaying them because they were much longer. Until Dawn was overall a great game. Very intense and a mind-fuck at times. Overall very well-done and very entertaining. It's a bit different from Heavy Rain & Beyond as those were very story-driven and you're extremely emotionally invested in the characters, while in Until Dawn there's 8 characters that you switch around on so and as a horror type game, there's just a lot going on.

2 thumbs up for this game for sure (Y) (Y)
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Just Cause 3 is fucking amazing

https://youtu.be/5EdhtHC34m4
phpBB [video]
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Cpt(K) on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Definitely looks like fun. I have the second game on PC and PS3. Played them a whole lot. I really like just attracting enemies (heat), and then blowing everything up. Grappling planes with the hook and trying to sort-of juggle yourself is also entertaining. I haven't attached two planes together with the hook yet though . . . will you accept the challenge?
Cpt(K)

Postby Phil89 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:58 pm

Lamrock wrote:After putting too many hours into the dreadful phone NFS, I was excited to rent the new one. My favorite games in the series were the first three black box ones (UG1, UG2, MW) and this looked like a return to that.

The driving is arcadey with some rubber banding and it doesn't take long to afford a car that smokes the competition (3 hours in I have a Nissan gtr). Always online is a drag and there is like no traffic on the road. Still, it's fun. I like the modding, the graphics are beautiful and it's pretty addictive. Probably not a purchase despite promises of free dlc but is the funnest racer I've played since forza horizon.

I got it on PS4 for Christmas. It's pretty fun and I like that they somewhat returned to the NFS:Underground vibe with all the customisation options and street racing.

You're right about the driving physics. It took me a while to figure out how to drift properly on this game. Now that I have though all the drift events are too easy (apart from the train ones where the AI drivers speed off into the distance so your score doesn't count).

And yeah, once you get a good car it is pretty easy to win events. I saved up for the Aventador and it's been pretty simple since I bought it.

Pros:
- the graphics are really nice
- using live action cut-scenes is an interesting idea (even if the dialogue is cringeworthy at times. Too much fist-bumping and energy drinks)
- the livery editor is cool (you can create some really detailed designs if you have the time and patience)

Cons:
- the limited car selection (there are only like 50 and a lot of them are crappy or boring)
- garage limit of 5 cars (not that you would have the money to buy and upgrade more than 5 cars without grinding events relentlessly, but 5 cars is a small number to own)
- the lack of customisable parts on the cars (There are only 2-3 options per part maybe. Some cars don't even have options on certain parts)

I've got a fully upgraded Aventador for speed races and a fully upgraded Supra for drift events, but my favourite car is my 1200 hp Mustang (even if it handles like the Titanic :lol: )

My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Cpt(K) on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:27 am

I've started up on one of FromSoftware's Souls games again. Dark Souls II was fun on the PS3, but I've had leagues more fun on the PS4 release of Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin. I'm ashamed to share what I've accomplished in little more than a week.

Why so many? I'm trying out different setups, and I'm waiting on a couple of my real-life friends to pick the game up - if I progress too much the game won't allow us to cooperatively play.

Bloodborne has some dlc that was released in November, and so That interests me as well. I haven't yet purchased it, however, many features are available despite this. The game maintains a sense of humor . . .

phpBB [video]

Lastly there is Star Wars Battlefront, which I started only recently. Purchased the game below the list price at $40. Had a lot of fun.

phpBB [video]

I have too many Youtube channels that I've forgotten. :?
Cpt(K)

Postby Lamrock on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:14 am

Trying to finish up my games before school starts up again. I got closure in my Madden 16 franchise with Marshawn Lynch retiring after a 19-0 season to fulfill a three-peat. Fun game but it got way too easy to cheese the CPU and I'm too antisocial to play online. :P

Also beat Fallout 4. Solid game but underwhelming. I loved it at first, but was ready for it to be over by the end. Hopefully Obsidian get to make one.

I also played through Until Dawn. Beat it in like two days. Loved that game. If I had time, I would play through it again to try and have more than 2 characters survive...

Never did beat Witcher 3. Was soooo close, but even though it's a really good game, I just never got engaged with the story enough to finish it. Same with MGS 5, which I was really excited about, but just couldn't get into.
Lamrock

Postby Cpt(K) on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:57 pm

I just started Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen on PC, or more accurately I converted a save from my Playstation 3 play-through with a nifty tool and guide from the PC modding community.

Although the game is still very new there are mods already circulating, and this is without official mod support apparently. I anticipate great improvements. I really wish Capcom would've went all-out on the PC release though, um, mod support is sort-of a great necessity.

I don't say it often, but in this case . . .

Edit: I started a new game and am just about to begin hauling the head of a hydra to Gran Soren, which I may appreciate more with the added aesthetics that the PC release is more capable of. I'm using a regular logitech dual action controller, which was recognized correctly by the game - another great aspect of the game.

This Arisen isn't the same from my PS3 save, I actually backed up that save after converting and playing around a little - I was yearning to experience the game again as a fresh start. I think I'll character edit the appearance of my Arisen and his Main Pawn progressively throughout the story - making them age as they go along is actually a great way to immerse yourself more.
Last edited by Cpt(K) on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt(K)

Postby Lamrock on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:04 pm

Undertale is a neat little game. I think some would find it boring, but I really dug the characters and story. Worth the $10.
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:55 pm

I'm really enjoying Life is Strange at the moment. I haven't particularly liked games with such a structured story in the last few years, but LIS has an array of choices, so it doesn't feel like you're locked in.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:45 pm

Played through Until Dawn for the second time. completely fucked up on the first try and tried to save my favorite characters this time but accidentally let others die and i managed to see a few things that I didn't get to see the first time around
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:33 am

Kenny wrote:I'm really enjoying Life is Strange at the moment. I haven't particularly liked games with such a structured story in the last few years, but LIS has an array of choices, so it doesn't feel like you're locked in.

Really enjoyed that season too (I think they're planning for more). Very refreshing and original.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:22 pm

I tried the demo when it first came out and although it was cool, I didn't like it enough to justify a purchase
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:13 pm

Was the demo just the first episode? The biggest payoff in Life is Strange is seeing the long term implications of the decisions you make, so it'd be hard to see how a demo could do that justice.

They have announced a second season, which I can't wait for.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:31 pm

You play the beginning and I tihnk you go to the bathroom and it sends soon after that

I don't see how they can make long-term decisions in an episodic series. In Until Dawn, it's all one game, so it was planned for and was executed well. But I'm thiking this is more like Telltale games Walking Dead where there's certain parts where the game splits into 2 possibilities but then comes back together soon after so they won't have to make 2 separate stories
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:47 pm

I recently decided to give the Old Hunters DLC a try. I'm not disappointed.

phpBB [video]

My initial thought was "Wow, what great boss design," but then 30 tries later "what, he he just homed in on me from the ceiling again . . ."
Well, I've finally moved on from that wretched area. This hunter (Vinland, which is my second of three) is capping at level 60 for the first play through.
Cpt(K)

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:46 am

So I got back to Witcher 3 (PC), wanted to do some stuff differently, so I decided against picking up old save games from backup and start anew.

Also Black Ops 3 on PS4 (because of the much larger playerbase) and I'm currently toying with the idea of getting The Division as well, but I think I'll wait for the reviews (and maybe I'll be moving in the meantime).
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:02 am

Battlefield hardline was really fun, but I dunno why people stopped playing it.

Been playing a lot of helldivers which we got free last month and also street fighter v
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm still playing NBA Live 16, NBA 2K16, Fallout 4, and a bit of Mortal Kombat X, though I also recently installed GTA V PC at long last. Having picked it up through Green Man Gaming rather than Steam, I had to use Rockstar's digital distribution service, and man, it sucks. Not only was the download consistently failing after ten minutes or so, it'd actually kill my entire connection in the process, forcing me to power cycle my router. Fortunately I found a workaround that forces the Rockstar Social service to download everything at once instead of in parts which are then verified as they're being downloaded, and that did the trick. Happy to say, it's looking great and working fine on my new rig.

However, over the weekend, I found myself playing some GTA III and Vice City on PC. They're great games and still hold up despite the graphics obviously looking dated, but it's funny that I'd get the urge to play them in the midst of having some far newer releases to entertain myself with. One of those odd situations where I read some articles about the GTA III era games, and felt like picking them up again out of the blue.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Andrew wrote:However, over the weekend, I found myself playing some GTA III and Vice City on PC. They're great games and still hold up despite the graphics obviously looking dated, but it's funny that I'd get the urge to play them in the midst of having some far newer releases to entertain myself with. One of those odd situations where I read some articles about the GTA III era games, and felt like picking them up again out of the blue.

Somewhat relevant (we all want this to happen, right?):

ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:37 pm

No objections here, though I've yet to finish the first Vice City game...or a couple of others including V, for that matter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:15 am

One of my friends returned bloodborne, except he called it bloodybutthole. He coined this from a goofy metaphor that resembles a Japanese man screwing people up the arse. He complained that is impossible solo, and then conversely the easiest thing around with coop. Of course, both of those aren't true. So I dedicated this video to him.

I had started a third hunter, because new friend of mine picked it up. So I have been cooperating (successfully) with him, and this other guy through the game. The video features the new hunter of mine in a chalice dungeon, well, the first one you get after defeating the bloodstarved beast in Old Yharnam. The hunter (Xavier, SKL based build)remained level 20 up until a particular boss, which I can't remember-- I got frustrated and leveled up some more. I'm trying to complete the game with my second hunter, who I'm trying to cap at level 60 (Vinland, STR and SKL).

Behold the fight I entered, with few blood vials, and few quick silver bullets, I even had to use the emergency ones.

phpBB [video]
Cpt(K)

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic