How do I steal the ball in NBA Live 16?

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

How do I steal the ball in NBA Live 16?

Postby romraptor on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:02 am

Even if I change the steal success slider to 100 I get maybe 2-3 steals max a game.
romraptor

Re: How do I steal the ball in NBA Live 16?

Postby Beavis_5000 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:08 am

Its all about timing. Sometimes you can spam the steal button get lucky and get alot of steals, especially against the CPU but this will get you burnt against a good player.
Beavis_5000

Postby romraptor on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:28 am

You recommend spamming the button? I haven't really tried that.
romraptor

Postby Beavis_5000 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:35 am

romraptor wrote:You recommend spamming the button? I haven't really tried that.

I wouldnt say I am recommending it but it can work against CPU especially in Rookie and Starter level. I wouldn't go online and do it because if you play against someone good they will dunk all over you.

As, soon as the CPU pass, press X (Playstation) to switch players to the defender that is closest to the CPU that is recieving the ball and then go for the steal. You can even get less experienced players on this but an experienced player will burn you and dunk all day.
Beavis_5000

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:14 am

If you're defending off the ball, you can sneak into the passing lanes and press Steal to pick off passes. As in real life though, gambling like that can also put you out of position and leave your man wide open.

When you're defending the ballhandler, as Beavis_5000 said, it's all about timing. There's a prime window as the ball is leaving the player's hands as they're putting it on the floor, or it's on the way back up and almost in their hand again, where pressing Steal usually has very good results.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Beavis_5000 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 am

Yes passing lanes, I did not even think about that. imo, if your playing against a good player this is an even more effective way to get steals rather than trying to steal it from someones hands. It takes being able to read and predict where they tend to pass. You can also bate on this by leaving a small window open to pass and trying to predict when they will pass and jump in the lane and take it.

A lot of times you can just play off ball d and stand in a passing lane and they will throw it right to you.
Beavis_5000

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:06 am

In order to really steal the ball, you have to turn the sliders down to at least 20-30. I never used to get steals or CPU turnovers consistently until I did that
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:27 am

Turn the sliders down? I'd have figured you'd need to turn them up, to increase the frequency.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:31 am

Andrew wrote:Turn the sliders down? I'd have figured you'd need to turn them up, to increase the frequency.

There's a glitch some where in the sliders, I found this out with my everything at 100 experiment. I couldn't get steals or cause turnovers for the CPU. Sometimes they would finish with 2 turnovers for a whole game, now I can get them closer to 10, which is more reasonable, and they're getting me too
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:01 am

Interesting, I'll have to check that out, too. I've just been playing with that slider at the default setting of 50.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:41 pm

Andrew wrote:Interesting, I'll have to check that out, too. I've just been playing with that slider at the default setting of 50.

Just cause the CPU to turn the ball over 17 times lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby StyxTx on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:16 pm

The 2 things I see in rising star are lack of fouls, but that is in every mode even with sliders up at 100, and lack of turnovers. They need to add sliders to rising star so we can fix that.

AI teams average 17 fouls/game but that is in sim games. IRL that number should be over 20 but 17 is close.

However, in games that are played out my team and the AI usually are around 10 fouls/game on avg. I've tried it on all difficulty levels but it doesn't change.

Turnovers are probably reasonable in sim games also but my team is averaging just over 7 TO/g and our opponents usually get around 7 or so per game as well in played games. We lead the league BY FAR in fewest turnovers/game. Guess I shouldn't complain. lol.

In response to the OP, I just play the passing lanes and I have a 2.4 steal/game avg. Some games I have as many as 5, others I may have none. My steal rating is only 71 right now so trying to steal from a dribbler isn't very successful. I usually get called for reach in so I don't try that very much any more.
StyxTx

Postby romraptor on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:32 pm

I figured something out: When I held down L2, while attempting to steal, my steal success skyrocketed. Now I get a few steals every quarter instead of maybe a steal or two per game!

Changing the slider from 50 to 100 and just tapping Square does basically nothing. I'll try to decrease the slider next time, but it sounds weird that it would work.
romraptor

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Yeah, the lockdown/tight defense trigger definitely helps. The trade-off is that there's a risk your opponent will blow by you, but that's how it is in real life as well. Play them too tight, you can be left flat-footed as they drive. Back off them too much, and you give them enough room for an open look.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby romraptor on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:25 pm

Now I've tried decreasing the slider from 50 to 20 and stealing the ball by just tapping Square went from virtually impossible to every second time lol.
romraptor

Postby StyxTx on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:47 pm

If you are located correctly in the passing lane your player will automatically steal a pass without you doing anything. I've stolen a few passes when I couldn't even see myself on the screen.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:28 am

Sounds like that slider might be bugged, then.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

romraptor wrote:Now I've tried decreasing the slider from 50 to 20 and stealing the ball by just tapping Square went from virtually impossible to every second time lol.

LOL, I was spamming the CPU in a game trying to come back one time because I knew I could get the ball back. I switched it the following game, cause It creates bad habits. I think 30 is the realistic slider setting for user. The CPU isn't as aggressive with on ball stealing, but they get interceptions pretty well
ThaLiveKing

Return to NBA Live 16