NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #139 (December 19th, 2015)

Postby TBM on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:18 am

Just a minor correction. Ty Lawson has the record for consecutive 3s in a game, at 10.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:39 am

Different record. We're talking most threes in a game without a miss. Sprewell did it once, while Gordon did it twice (I'd actually forgotten that he'd done it more than once). Lawson does indeed hold the record for most consecutive threes to start a game, but he didn't shoot 100% on the night. So Lawson hit the most threes before missing, but not the most threes without missing. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:16 pm

As Arcane and I mentioned in Episode #139 of the NLSC Podcast, we decided to take a couple of weeks off over the holiday break, and make that show our 2015 finale. We're planning to get right back to our digital broadcasting duties in the new year however, and currently expect to be back on the air on the first Thursday of 2016, January 7th.

There have obviously been a couple of developments in basketball gaming and the NBA since Episode #139, which we'll naturally be discussing in Episode #140. However, we also wanted to encourage our regular listeners - and our newer listeners, too! - to submit some additional topic suggestions for the next episode, and future episodes of the NLSC Podcast. Whether you simply want to suggest a topic, or pose a topic to us in the form of a question, we're eager to hear your suggestions so that we can discuss the things that you want to hear about.

We'll certainly give consideration to any and all suggestions, though we do ask that you keep them within the scope of our coverage: NBA Live, NBA 2K, and basketball video games, as well as the real NBA and basketball in general. While we do branch out occasionally and make mention of other topics, we'd prefer to keep the NLSC Podcast in step with the rest of our content.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who tuned in to the NLSC Podcast throughout 2015. We've been getting some very encouraging feedback in recent weeks, so we'd like to up our interaction with our listeners with community suggested topics and more "listener mailbag" type segments. So, tell us what you think of the shows, and what you'd like us to talk about! As with all of our content, we're by basketball gamers, for basketball gamers, so be sure to drop us a line, and tune in for Episode #140 on January 7th.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #140 (January 7th, 2016)

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:50 pm

Episode #140 (January 7th, 2016)

Hosts: Andrew & Arcane

It's the first Thursday of 2016, so we're tipping off another year of digital broadcasting with Episode #140 of the NLSC Podcast! This week we're catching up on all the news and events that took place over the holiday break, and discussing some topics submitted by our listeners. Seeing as how we've been off the air for a couple of weeks, Episode #140 is a bit longer than usual, but the show should be back to its normal length starting next week.

On this week's show...

• There wasn't a whole lot of news over the break, but 2K did announce that eSports are coming to NBA 2K16 in early 2016.
  • NBA Live 16 hasn't received any significant content updates over the past couple of weeks. Should there be more content coming through for the game?
  • Wishlist season is looming. What are some of our main wishes for NBA Live 17 and NBA 2K17?
  • What does NBA Live need to do to gain momentum and start catching up to NBA 2K?
  • We give our thoughts on the direction of Ultimate Team and MyTEAM. How interested are we in the card collecting modes?
  • Joey Crawford is finally hanging up his whistle. Spoiler: We're not exactly heartbroken.
  • The Golden State Warriors are still on pace to challenge the Chicago Bulls' 72-10 record. Draymond Green is turning into a triple double machine.
  • We discuss the controversy with Markieff Morris in Phoenix, and defend our generation.
  • Arcane is doing well with our weekly Bold Predictions. Andrew is yet to get on the board.
  • This week's trivia question is about Michael Jordan. Can you get the answer before Arcane?
  • Twitter is looking to expand its character limit. Are we in favour of the change, and how many characters would we prefer?
  • We wrap up Episode #140 of the NLSC Podcast with some New Year's Resolutions, and an unfortunate clerical error involving C.J. McCollum.

Click here to listen to the show!

Have some thoughts on the latest episode? Sound off right here in the Forum! Also, if there's a topic you'd like us to discuss in the next episode of the NLSC Podcast, feel free to hit us up in this thread.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on iTunes! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:12 am

Not sure if it's just me but I almost couldn't hear Ben when he's talking.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby TBM on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:19 am

Not just you. Audio sounds very different this week, and Ben is very quiet.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:17 am

Unfortunately Ben's audio recorded very softly this week. I tried to fix it up best I could without boosting it to the point where there's a hum in the background, but unfortunately it's still a bit quiet. For that reason, I didn't truncate silence in this week's show, because it likely would've cut out some of Ben talking altogether. Apologies for the technical issues, we'll be sure to double-check for it in the future. It hasn't been an issue (at least to that extent) in the past and Ben sounded loud enough in my headset, so I assumed everything was fine. As I said, I'll double-check that before we start recording in the future.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Figures that happens on the episode with an actual 2KTV reference :P
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:24 pm

And the first episode of a new year, with some really good topic suggestions.

I'll take another shot at the raw recording and see if I can upload a better version.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TBM on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:06 am

In the future, you can always record your audio and Ben's into separate tracks and then you'd have complete control.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:11 am

I already do that. ;)

I've tried messing around with the raw file, and I can't get it much better than the version that I uploaded, unfortunately. When I listen to the posted show though, the audio doesn't sound that different to me, except for Ben being a bit quieter, and even then, listening on my PC with the Windows volume at 100% and the volume control on my speakers at around 50%, Ben is audible, albeit still quieter than I am (and quieter than ideal). Are you all listening on PC with speakers, or are some of you using headphones, iTunes, or mobile devices?

Anyway, apologies again that the audio is a bit off this week with Ben's volume, no one's more frustrated than us when something like that happens. As I said, I'll be sure to double-check that in the future and make sure everything's fine before we get into doing the show.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:44 am

Mobile device with headphones for me Andrew.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:37 am

Car speakers for me. Every podcast I listen to has a different volume level, but this one is generally the quietest of all. I always have my speakers turned up to the max and its still tough to hear, especially this week with Ben.

Just threw this week's mp3 into audacity with Taz' show's mp3 for comparison (content is one thing, but it's well produced audio-wise)

the NLSC podcast definitely needs some normalization due to mic differences and adjustments throughout recording, but the overall volume level is still an issue for me.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:19 am

Sure thing, good to know. Will definitely be more mindful of it moving forward!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #141 (January 14th, 2016)

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Episode #141 (January 14th, 2016)

It's Thursday, so it's time for another episode of the NLSC Podcast! In Episode #141, Arcane and I discuss the future of NBA Live and NBA 2K, NBA Jam trivia, and the latest NBA news and results as we find ourselves at the midway point of the 2016 season.

On this week’s show…

• Has EA Sports done enough to create interest in NBA Live 17, or will the plug be pulled? Do they need to be doing more with NBA Live 16 to drum up interest for this year's game?
  • What's holding EA back from releasing a game that can compete with 2K?
  • We discuss some of the issues with animations in both NBA Live 16 and NBA 2K16.
  • With the NBA All-Star festivities not too far away, we reminisce about All-Star Weekend in NBA Live. Do we want EA to bring it back? You can probably guess our answer to that one!
  • Fox Sports Australia recently posted some NBA Jam trivia, which we quickly recap and reflect upon.
  • Which mode do we prefer in NBA 2K: MyLEAGUE, or MyGM?
  • Moving on to this week's NBA discussion, we mention a couple of notes from the past week, and run through a few midseason surprises and disappointments.
  • The second returns for this year's All-Star balloting have been released. The likely starters are becoming clearer, so we talk about some candidates for the reserves.
  • Which Chicago Bulls player is most likely to be traded: Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose, Taj Gibson, or Jimmy Butler?
  • We revisit the question of which number the Los Angeles Lakers should retire for Kobe Bryant.
  • Should Kevin Garnett receive a similar send-off to Kobe?
  • In this week's Bold Predictions for Next Week: Andrew still isn't on the scoreboard. Will his latest prediction break the drought?
  • We wrap up Episode #141 of the NLSC Podcast by naming the team we'd buy if we won this week's big Powerball jackpot.

Have some thoughts on the latest episode? Sound off right here in the Forum! Also, if there's a topic you'd like us to discuss in the next episode of the NLSC Podcast, feel free to hit us up in this thread.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on iTunes! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:32 am

volume any everything seemed fine for what I've heard so far, haven't checked the mp3 or anything so I'm guessing placebo? :mrgreen:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:52 am

I normalised the audio and brought the volume up a little, plus Ben and I both raised our volumes in Skype and did a few tests to make sure everything was OK before we started recording. So I'm guessing it's not just a placebo, but either way, good to know this week's show sounded better!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TBM on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Yeah, definitely sounds way better.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:12 pm

Excellent, good to know. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #142 (January 21st, 2016)

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:02 pm

Episode #142 (January 21st, 2016)

It's Thursday once again, so a new episode of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Arcane and I are fulfilling our digital broadcasting duties this week with Episode #142, featuring more topics related to NBA Live, NBA 2K, and the past week of action in the NBA.

On this week’s show…

• We discuss the most recent NBA Live 16 roster update, including the addition of Elton Brand and the latest ratings adjustments.
  • A rumour regarding the expansion of the NBA Live development team has been brought to our attention. We don't have any inside information, but we have a few thoughts on the possibility all the same.
  • The good news: face scanning has come to NBA 2K16 PC. The bad news: a lot of gamers probably won't be able to take advantage of it, at least not yet.
  • We reflect on the issue of content creators getting burned out, talking about our own experiences and offering some advice.
  • Jimmy Butler became the fourth Chicago Bulls player to score 50+ points. On a less positive note, it looks like Joakim Noah is out for the season.
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Day saw some wild games in the NBA, including a career high 52 points by Kemba Walker.
  • A couple of players from the Class of 1999 are looking to make a comeback in the NBA.
  • Matthew Dellavedova has been voted the dirtiest player in the league. Will we still defend our fellow Aussie?
  • Andre Drummond set a new record for free throws missed in a single game. We take the opportunity to discuss the Hack-a-Whoever strategy.
  • We offer up some suggestions of players who may be traded before or at the deadline.
  • The NBA might appeal to international fans - like us - by scheduling some morning games in the future. Yes, we're all for it.
  • This week's Bold Predictions see...well, more bold predictions. Last week wasn't kind to us.
  • We end Episode #142 of the NLSC Podcast with an interesting trivia note coming out of the Chicago Bulls/Golden State Warriors game.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:49 am

Downloaded for the drive to work tomorrow morning!
mp3

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:37 am

Awesome. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:16 pm

I think we all need to tip our hats to modders around the nba video game community, I think we all have being guilty at one time or another for expecting stuff to be made right away for our entertainment when the people at home making theses face/court/jersey/roster/silder updates have lives of there own too and are putting in the free free of charge!
mp3

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #143 (January 30th, 2016)

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:44 am

Episode #143 (January 30th, 2016)

We're coming at you a little later this week, but Episode #143 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Arcane and I as we discuss recent updates for NBA Live 16 and NBA 2K16, give our thoughts on the 2016 All-Star selections, answer a few mailbag questions, and more.

On this week’s show…

• We tip things off with a look at recent NBA Live 16 updates, including thoughts on the latest rosters, and the lack of content for BIG Moments.
  • EA are dropping out of E3, in favour of hosting their own event, EA Play. The event will be open to the public, and will feature hands-on game demos.
  • Speaking of EA, we also touch on some recent comments Andrew Wilson made about changing the company's image.
  • Patch #5 has been released for NBA 2K16. Its focus suggests that the Pro-Am Road To The Finals tournament isn't too far away.
  • The starters and reserves for the 2016 NBA All-Star Game have been announced. We recap the selections, and give our thoughts.
  • We reflect on the selections for the Rising Stars Challenge, which were also recently announced.
  • David Blatt's unexpected and virtually unprecedented firing got a lot of people talking in the past week, so it's our turn to weigh in on the situation.
  • Last week, we discussed players who might be traded. One of them has been, as Josh Smith has been sent back to the Houston Rockets.
  • We compare the 1996 Chicago Bulls to the 2016 Golden State Warriors. Who would win, what would the match-ups be like, and how close would it be?
  • Who are some of the biggest Draft busts that come immediately to mind? Unfortunately, MJ has picked a couple of them.
  • We've both come up empty in Bold Predictions the last couple of weeks, which means Andrew is still yet to get on the scoreboard. Surely, this is the week it all turns around!
  • We wrap up Episode #143 of the NLSC Podcast with a bizarre incident involving Blake Griffin.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #143 (January 30th, 2016)

Postby mp3 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:03 pm

I totally agree that there should be a center on the allstar ballots and that Drummond should definitely of being a starter over Melo or Wade but interesting enough when you make the case for Cousins in the west which he is the best center there but due to fan voting it would of in fact been Zaza starting
mp3

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard