The Friday Five: 5 Limitations With A Sensible Explanation

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things I Want To Do with The NLSC in 2016

Postby Kevin on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm free until the 18th so I may work on the Wiki on my spare time. What are the things you want added to it?

PS: There are some people who think twice when posting here in NLSC because of the number of users that are too "harsh" to them and too "judgemental". Take a look at the 2k16 subforum yourself, it's full of them.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:01 pm

I'll see if I can whip up a To Do list for the Wiki.

Are you talking about the main NBA 2K16 section, or the releases section?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:46 am

Alright cool.

It's in the releases section, mostly.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:40 am

If there are problems there, we'd certainly like people to use the Report Post function. We can't catch everything every time we browse, so that's why the Report function is there. Barring that, feel free to PM me any specific examples.

That said, activity in the Releases sections usually tend to be constant, at least while a game is still popular to mod. It's the general discussion that's dropped off a bit.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Times Joey Crawford Was a Terrible Referee

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:50 pm

January 8th, 2016: 5 Times Joey Crawford Was a Terrible Referee

In case you weren’t aware, long-time NBA referee Joey Crawford will be hanging up his whistle at the end of the season. Crawford, who is currently recovering from knee surgery, told the Delaware County Times that he hopes to return to the court in March, but will be calling it a day once the season is done. In the article I’ve linked to there, it’s noted that Joey Crawford is held in high regard by the NBA family, mentioning that he even received the Golden Whistle Award. I have to admit, that really, really puzzles me.

That’s not to say that Joey Crawford has never done his job properly. We tend to focus on the negatives; the one time out of ten that there’s controversy, instead of the other nine times that were unremarkable. Still, to simply acknowledge that Joey Crawford is “controversial” and “colourful” is putting things very mildly, to say the least. From incorrect and downright strange calls, to diva-like and attention-seeking behaviour, to needlessly interfering with the play and even losing his temper, some of Crawford’s worst antics have sullied the sport. So, for this week’s Five, I’m listing the best of his worst, namely five times that Joey Crawford was a terrible referee.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Times Joey Crawford Was a Terrible Referee

Postby Tha2KProphet on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:53 am

Joey Crawford Was a :turrible: Referee.. He Abuses His " Referee's Powers" :cussing:
Try MY 2016/17 Roster For NBA 2K14

Here >>>: 2KShiftLeader's (Tha2KProphet) 2017 Roster | BHM

My Thread: viewtopic.php?f=153&t=98403
I'm dEaD :twisted:
Tha2KProphet
Everyone at NLSC thought I was joking when I said "LeBron is gonna come back from a 3-1 lead"

Re: The Friday Five: Top 5 NBA Live Features I Want To See Return

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:44 pm

January 15th, 2016: Top 5 NBA Live Features I Want To See Return

In recent episodes of the NLSC Podcast, Arcane and I have been discussing the future of NBA Live, particularly how it’s a case of “now or never” when it comes to certain features and improvements. Likewise, back in October of last year, I engaged in a little early Wishlist talk in The Friday Five, with a piece titled 5 Things NBA Live 17 Absolutely Has To Do. Suffice to say, we have some strong feelings about what we feel the series has to achieve with this year’s iteration, as do other members of the basketball gaming community.

Since it is just about time to start creating our official Wishlist threads, I thought I’d use this week’s Five to revisit the topic of what needs to be done with NBA Live. There’s obviously going to be some overlap with the previous discussions, as I haven’t changed my mind about what I believe are the most important areas that Live needs to improve in. That said, on this occasion, I’m focusing on five features that I’d like to see return, and prioritising them in the form of a Top 5 countdown. Without any further ado, let’s tip things off with number five.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: Top 5 Gameplay Improvements I Want To See in NBA Live

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:43 pm

January 22nd, 2016: Top 5 Gameplay Improvements I Want To See in NBA Live

Since we’re getting into Wishlist season, last week’s edition of The Friday Five covered five features that I’d like to see return in NBA Live. I’m continuing with that theme this week as I count down the top five gameplay improvements that I’d like to see, preferably beginning with NBA Live 17. While I really want to see the game modes get deeper and some more bells and whistles added, NBA Live’s gameplay still needs some polish and enhancement, as it’s obviously an important aspect of the core experience.

That’s not to say it needs a complete overhaul, or that the current tech isn’t capable of doing the job. I’ve seen some good things from the IGNITE engine, and there’s been a noticeable improvement over the past three years. However, there are definitely some much needed improvements and additions that need to be made to NBA Live’s gameplay, to get it to the level it really needs to be at. So, without any further ado, here are the top five gameplay improvements that I want to see in NBA Live, beginning with number five.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: Top 5 NBA All-Star Snubs – 2016 Edition

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:32 pm

January 29th, 2016: Top 5 NBA All-Star Snubs – 2016 Edition

With last week’s announcement of the starters and this week’s unveiling of the reserves, we now know the 24 players who will be competing in the 2016 NBA All-Star Game, which will be played in Toronto on February 14th. Barring injuries or other unforeseen circumstances, there’ll be a lot of deserving talent putting on a show at the NBA’s 65th midseason classic. Of course, should a few of them have to withdraw, there are a handful of players who have a case to take their place. And that’s where the topic of All-Star snubs comes in.

I have to admit that it was a bit difficult to put together a top five list of All-Star snubs this season. Outside of a couple of noteworthy names, almost all of the standout performers have either been voted in by the fans, or selected by the coaches. Additionally, there are only a couple of selections that you could really argue against, and even then, they’ve got a case to be there. Still, there’s no reason to avoid a topic just because the choice is difficult, so without any further ado, here are my picks for this year’s top five NBA All-Star snubs.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Annoying Basketball Gaming Moments That Are Realistic

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:11 am

February 5th, 2016: 5 Annoying Basketball Gaming Moments That Are Realistic

When it comes to basketball video games, it’s fair to say that most of us tend to be after a realistic experience…at least when it comes to the five-on-five games. The level of commitment to the sim style varies from gamer to gamer, but unless you’re playing a game like NBA Jam or NBA Street, you probably want to see at least some amount of realism in your virtual hoops. When NBA Live or NBA 2K fall short of our expectations in that regard, you can be certain that there’ll be loud cries of “That’s not sim!” Our desires can be succinctly summed up with Da_Czar’s catchy creed: Don’t play video games, play basketball!

As I’ve discussed before, however, while most of us have a good understanding of the elements that make a basketball video game realistic, we don’t always appreciate what realism truly means. In the real world, there are mistakes and imperfections, annoyances and disappointments, risks that don’t yield rewards. Whether we like it or not, negative outcomes are a part of basketball – at least for one team on every play, and ultimately, the game – and when it comes to video games, it’s important that those unpleasant realities are represented. They’re frustrating of course, but it’s important to remember that the five annoyances I’m discussing today are, in fact, realistic.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: Revisiting My Predictions for the 2016 NBA Season

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:12 pm

February 12th, 2016: Revisiting My Predictions for the 2016 NBA Season

With the All-Star Weekend upon us, we’re essentially at the midway point of the 2016 NBA season. Normally I discuss a topic related to the NBA’s midseason classic in the Five that precedes the All-Star Weekend, but this year, I wanted to do something a little different. This time, I wanted to look back at some predictions I made at the start of the season, and see how I’m faring so far. If you’re a regular listener of the NLSC Podcast, you know how well my NBA predictions generally turn out!

That said, I’m actually not doing too badly. While there’s still quite a few games left to play, several weeks during which time a lot of things can change, a couple of my predictions aren’t too wide of the mark. One has turned out to be a jinx, and two are looking quite precarious, but the other two stand a good chance of being correct. So, without any further ado, let’s revisit the five predictions I made for the 2016 NBA season, and see how each of them are looking at the halfway mark.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Worst AI Problems in Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:41 am

February 19th, 2016: 5 Worst AI Problems in Basketball Video Games

We’ve tipped off our Wishlists for both basketball games, and as I do every year, I’ve been making sure to put out a few reminders about the best way to provide feedback. The most common mistake when posting suggestions for NBA Live or NBA 2K is failing to provide relevant details: saying things like “deeper modes”, “better gameplay”, or “improved AI”. While these are certainly things that we do want to see, they don’t describe what we specifically want to see improve, or the problems that need to be addressed. It’s like going to a restaurant and ordering “tasty food”; there isn’t nearly enough information to work from.

Basketball has a lot finicky nuances that we want to see realistically portrayed in NBA Live and NBA 2K, and when our expectations aren’t being met, we need to be able to identify all those annoying quirks in the AI. Those moments of frustration we have when we’re playing a game, because the CPU is doing something that’s not quite right? Those are the issues that we need to bring up. To demonstrate what I’m talking about, here are five of what I feel are the worst problems with AI in basketball video games, along with some relevant examples.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Satisfying Moments in Basketball Gaming

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:13 pm

February 26th, 2016: 5 Satisfying Moments in Basketball Gaming

There are a lot of things that feel good when you’re playing a basketball video game. Knocking down a three-pointer, whether it’s a wide open shot or you’re drilling it right in the face of a defender. Throwing down a dunk, especially when you see a brand new animation, or when the slam caps off a big scoring run. Great defensive plays that end with a crafty steal, intimidating block, or an embarrassing shot clock violation for your opponent, also feel pretty good. When you’re playing a basketball video game, you can sometimes get just as excited as you do when you’re watching or playing the real sport.

That’s what makes basketball video games such a satisfying experience. I mean, we wouldn’t be playing them, talking about them, modding them, and yes, even complaining about them, if we weren’t getting something out of them, and they didn’t hold any value to us. In this week’s Friday Five, I wanted to talk about some of the specific moments in basketball video games that I find to be the most satisfying. These are the moments that go beyond the thrill of simply nailing a triple, or rocking the rim.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Predictions for Future Cover Players

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 pm

March 4th, 2016: 5 Predictions for Future Cover Players

The cover players for NBA Live and NBA 2K are admittedly an insignificant detail in the grand scheme of things. Nevertheless, it’s a subject that still manages to capture our attention every year, before the official announcements are made. In between talking about what we want to see out of NBA Live and NBA 2K, and speculating on each game’s features and improvements as we learn about them, we usually find ourselves asking: who’s going to be on the cover?

It’s a fun talking point, even if it does have little bearing on the games themselves. Throughout the years, we’ve seen some huge names lend their likenesses to the cover art of NBA Live and NBA 2K, as well as a few unorthodox choices for cover players. Since it’ll be a few months until the preview season really gets underway, I thought that for this week’s Five, I’d throw out some predictions as to who we might see on the covers of NBA Live and NBA 2K…perhaps as soon as this year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Tha2KProphet on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:11 am

Andrew Wiggins? :cheeky:

Tha2KProphet
Everyone at NLSC thought I was joking when I said "LeBron is gonna come back from a 3-1 lead"

Postby [Q] on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:02 am

PG was a good pick. I could see draymond or klay if they win it all again
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:35 am

Tha2KProphet wrote:Andrew Wiggins? :cheeky:

It's possible. I see Towns being the true star of that team though, and the more likely candidate to be on the cover.

[Q] wrote:PG was a good pick. I could see draymond or klay if they win it all again

That could happen too, though neither is as marketable as Curry is right now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Tha2KProphet on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:47 pm

Which Is More marketable A Team Cover Or A Solo Player Cover? :crazy:

Tha2KProphet

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:20 pm

A team cover is probably overkill.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: My 5 Favourite Patches That I’ve Made

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:49 pm

March 11th, 2016: My 5 Favourite Patches That I’ve Made

In this week’s Monday Tip-Off, I discussed our fondness for continuing to make patches for older basketball video games. As I said in that article, there’s a lot of nostalgia in going back and updating an old game, and it can also be a very rewarding experience, especially when there’s still a contingent of basketball gamers playing older releases. I certainly know a thing or two about that, as I was still releasing multiple roster patches for the last four PC versions of NBA Live up until a few years ago. As you may have noticed, I’ve also released a couple of smaller patches in recent weeks.

Since I’m still in the mood to talk about patches, I thought that for this week’s Friday Five, I’d take a look at five of my favourite patches that I’ve made for the NBA Live series. I’d talk about my work on NBA 2K, but I only have one release for that series: an open source roster with some minor edits and additions. Needless to say, when it comes to patching, I have a much longer history with NBA Live, and a much bigger catalogue of releases. So, without any further ado, here are my five favourite patches that I’ve made over the years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: The Friday Five: 5 Unpopular NBA Jerseys (I Actually Like)

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:37 pm

March 18th, 2016: The Friday Five: 5 Unpopular NBA Jerseys (I Actually Like)

The 2016 NBA regular season is winding down, and we’re still a couple of months away from getting a steady stream of concrete information about NBA Live 17 and NBA 2K17. In recent weeks, I’ve been talking a lot about what I’d like to see in the upcoming games, both on the NLSC Podcast and in the Friday Five, and I will continue to do that. However, I thought I’d change things up in today’s Five, and talk a little about fashion. Well, on-court fashion in the NBA, at any rate.

This week, I’m talking about NBA jerseys that tend to be unpopular, or make a lot of “worst NBA jerseys” lists, that I actually happen to like. I can’t defend them all as outstanding or timeless designs, as some of them are definitely products of their era, but I still like them all the same. I know that I’m definitely not alone in liking some of these jerseys, but some fans might declare it to be a sign of bad taste. Nevertheless, here are five unpopular NBA jerseys that I don’t dislike the same way a lot of people do.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: The Friday Five: 5 Unpopular NBA Jerseys (I Actually Like)

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm

Dallas grey jerseys are still one of my favorites
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: The Friday Five: The Friday Five: 5 Popular NBA Jerseys (I Actually Dislike)

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 am

March 25th, 2016: 5 Popular NBA Jerseys (I Actually Dislike)

Last week I listed five unpopular NBA jerseys that I personally like, so this week I’m going the other way and looking at five popular jerseys which I’m not that keen on. I’ve seen these jerseys make a few “best NBA uniforms” lists and be talked about favourably by my fellow NBA fans, so for the purposes of this feature, I think it’s fair enough to call them popular. For the record, I certainly don’t dislike them just because they’re popular, but regardless, I’m in the minority as far as my opinion of them is concerned.

Please note that there are no sleeved jerseys on this list – remember, I did say “popular”! – but rest assured that those designs still rank among my least favourites, well ahead of the uniforms I’ve listed below. I should also make it clear that I don’t necessarily think that these are all bad designs from an objective point of view; they simply don’t appeal to me. With that said, here are five popular NBA jerseys that I dislike, for one reason or another.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: The Friday Five: 5 Codes & Rumours That Fooled Basketball Gamer

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:09 am

April 1st, 2016: 5 Codes & Rumours That Fooled Basketball Gamers

With this being April 1st, I originally considered posting some kind of April Fool’s Day gag. However, since we have visitors from all around the world, chances are that not everyone would see the column before 12 PM, which would actually make me the April fool. I’ve decided to stick with the theme of getting fooled though, because when it comes to basketball gaming, and indeed video games in general, some people are sadly out to trick their fellow gamers, and waste their time.

Although it’s often fairly easy to debunk what TV Tropes refers to as an “Urban Legend of Zelda“, sometimes it’s harder to get gamers to actually believe the truth rather than the rumour. After all, you heard it from your best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend that it was true, and why would they lie? Other genres of video games lend themselves to more outlandish and infamous fake secrets, but since basketball games have featured hidden and unlockable content, they’re not immune to their own hoaxes and rumours. Without any further ado, here are five codes and rumours that fooled basketball gamers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 NBA Live Saved Games I've Lost

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:01 am

April 8th, 2016: 5 NBA Live Saved Games I've Lost

As I've mentioned in a previous edition of The Friday Five, one of the unluckiest things that can happen in basketball gaming is the loss of a favourite save game. Whether you accidentally delete or overwrite it, or you intentionally delete it thinking you'll never play it again, at some point you'll grumble to yourself "I wish I still had that file". Many of us learn the hard way to always make backups, and not to delete anything unless we're absolutely, positively sure...and even then, probably keep a backup of it somewhere, just in case.

It's been a while since I've lost a saved game, as I developed the habit of always saving my games in two slots, just in case. I also regularly make backups, so it's been many years since I've lost anything that I wanted to keep. However, in the couple of decades that I've been playing NBA Live, there have been a few saved games that I've thoughtlessly deleted, or neglected to copy over to new computers. In this week's Friday Five, I'm taking the opportunity to lament the loss of those saved games, and memorialise them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard