Re-creating video games

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Which old game should I re-create first?

NBA Live '95 to 2003 (set in the 1994-95 season up to the 2002-03 season)
100%
Rugby 2004
No votes
Madden NFL '94 to '07 (from 1993-94 to 2006-07)
No votes
NHL '94 to '08 (from 1993-94 to 2007-08)
No votes
Other (you name it)
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re-creating video games

Postby Corymach7 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:07 am

There are 20 games that I want to re-create, but which one should I do first?
Corymach7

Re: Re-creating video games

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:28 am

Re-create in what sense?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby formx on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:37 pm

J-League Winning Eleven 10: Europa League 06-07

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby mp3 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:13 am

You could play 2k16 and download a roster from the 96-06 era.

Or... re buy all the old nba lives, I just so happen to know a guy who has them all but I don't think he would part with them lol..
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Corymach7 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:44 am

mp3 wrote:You could play 2k16 and download a roster from the 96-06 era.

Or... re buy all the old nba lives, I just so happen to know a guy who has them all but I don't think he would part with them lol..
Recreating those games in new technology would make my life a lot easier if either me or a different company announces they will remake the old NFL, NBA or MLB video games. I play NBA Live 2002 for Xbox on the 360 as it is backwards compatible on the 360. It was boring. I'd be interested in a NBA Live 2002 remake for the PS4 and Xbox One by a different company.
Corymach7

Postby mp3 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:12 am

Then the best way forward is to look for past era rosters on the next gen (ps4/xbox)
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:15 am

There is absolutely no market value in re-making old sports games. Re-booting franchises like NBA Street and NBA Jam, with current rosters? Sure. Re-making a game from a season years ago, feature for feature, detail for detail? Not financially sound, and rather pointless besides.

On top of that, it's simply not feasible in terms of licensing. You wouldn't be able to include all of the players in the game, so you'd end up with fake placeholder players for the most part. You'd also need the appropriate licensing rights to get any real players in the game in the first place. Finally, NBA Live and Madden are registered trademarks, so no other company is going to be able to re-make those games without EA's permission, which they're highly unlikely to grant. I'm not sure you truly understand how licensing, trademarks, and contracts really work, to say nothing of video game development in general.

If you want to play with old season rosters with updated technology, then mods for recent games are the only option, and will always be the only option. Sports games are not good candidate for re-makes, because of the licensing involved, and the general lack of interest in outdated releases. Just look at the trade-in value you get on old sports games compared to other genres. It's not a feasible idea, and the profit margin wouldn't justify the cost even if it was.

Is it a cool idea in theory? Sure. It'd be fun to play with those old rosters with the benefit of new technology. But the only way it's happening is through mods, and to that end, we've done a pretty good job of that in this very community.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic