The Friday Five: 5 Limitations With A Sensible Explanation

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Basketball Video Game Surprises

Postby [Q] on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:59 am

2k9 on PC was a bit surprising as at that point, I felt that both companies were done with PC gaming. on a side note, I'd say that current-gen versions of 2k on PC were also very surprising considering they were "next gen" at the time
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Retro Teams We’re Unlikely To See In NBA 2K16

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:25 pm

August 7th, 2015: 5 Retro Teams We’re Unlikely To See In NBA 2K16

As you may have seen in this bulletin, or elsewhere on the Internet, one of the NBA 2K16 tidbits to come out of Gamescom 2015 is the inclusion of 12 new retro teams in this year’s game. To date, we know five of the new historical squads that have been added in NBA 2K16: the 2000 Portland Trail Blazers, 2000 Toronto Raptors, 2001 Los Angeles Lakers, 2003 Dallas Mavericks, and 2008 Boston Celtics. Over the next few Thursdays, we’ll be finding out the remaining seven retro teams that are yet to be announced.

I’m sure that we all have our own ideas about which teams we’d like to see make the cut, but a thought occurred to me today: What are some of the teams that we really don’t need to see join the ranks of historical squads in NBA 2K16? So, just for fun, let’s take a look at five teams from seasons gone by that we’re highly unlikely to see appear in NBA 2K16.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:43 pm

I'm still a bit under the weather, a few other things have taken up my time, and so I haven't been able to write a Friday Five this week. Rather than put out a column I'm not happy with, I've elected to take the week off, much as I hate missing deadlines and skipping weeks. As with the NLSC Podcast, The Friday Five will be back next week,

In the meantime, I'm once again inviting suggestions for stuff you'd like me to write about, or compile a Top 5 countdown for. Please keep in mind that I'm after suggestions which are within the scope of what we cover here at the NLSC (basketball video games), the obvious related interest (the real NBA and basketball), or something about our community. Topics related to basketball video games get top preference, since that's the main focus of our content after all. If you're able to come up with something I wouldn't normally think of, or a topic related to those three areas of interest that I haven't written much about before, those are some suggestions that I'd love to get!

With that said, apologies again for no column, thanks for your understanding, and hit me up with some suggestions!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:59 pm

Probably the first time I saw you miss a week for a long time. :lol:

Top 5
Teams to watch in 2015-2016 Season
Signings this free agency
Teams that you think will be playing for the championship this season

I'll add more when my brain starts working again.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby JaoSming on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Needs moar gaming-relatedness

Teams to Rebuild in franchise modes for this season
Favorite/Best players in card modes
Favorite Ways to Play Each Position in Career modes (instead of 1-5, PG-C)
Most Missed Removed Modes
Most Missed Removed Features
Top Hardships caused by being a PAL-regioned Basketball Vidya Game Fan
Best Years in the Community
Most Memorable, erm, Memories from these Games
Favorite Pre-Release Announcements for that year's upcoming game
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby mp3 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:54 pm

Top 5 trades you have made in video games.

Top 5 jerseys featured in games.

Top 5 of the worst and best looking caps in nba games.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:11 am

Definitely good to get some basketball gaming related ones. I'd definitely prefer those to NBA topics at this time. (Y)

mp3 wrote:Top 5 of the worst and best looking caps in nba games.

For this one, did you mean to whip up a few myself, or comment on the Create-a-Player functionality in general?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Yeah I mean when EA or 2k have a roster player that shows zero resemble to there RL self.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Ah, some more the best and worst generic/placeholder faces?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:24 pm

I bet Live 99 were full of them because of the lockout
I remember Shawn Marion was bald
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:38 pm

NBA Live 99 was released with final 1997/1998 rosters, owing to the lockout. The faces in the official roster patches that came after the lockout ended weren't too bad.

NBA Live 2000 (where Marion was a rookie) probably would take all the spots in the Five. In fact, I think I mentioned Live 2000 having generic faces for the rookies in a previous Five.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Wasn't Elfed Payton bald too when nba live 15 came out?

Having a generic face for Whiteside too while he was climbing the rating charts
mp3

Re: The Friday Five: Top 5 Annoyances of Being a PAL Region Basketball Gamer

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:09 pm

August 21st, 2015: Top 5 Annoyances of Being a PAL Region Basketball Gamer

In the wake of the stunned silence that followed my Undertaker-like streak of Fridays with a Friday Five being broken (alright, alright, I did miss one earlier this year, too), I’m back this week with a new column! A big thanks for all the topic suggestions, there were some great ones related to basketball video games, and I’m looking forward to tackling them in upcoming Fives. To that end, I’m actually writing about one of those topics today, specifically JaoSming’s suggestion of the Top 5 hardships of being a PAL region basketball gamer…though I’ve gone with “annoyances” because, you know, first world problems and all that.

Seeing as how I run a website that covers basketball games, living in a PAL region presents a somewhat unique hardship/annoyance/challenge for me, as news often breaks while I’m asleep. As such, I can’t always report or comment on developments as quickly as I’d like. That isn’t really a common problem though, seeing as how I’m the only PAL basketball gamer who’s also the webmaster of the NLSC, so I thought I’d keep the Five a bit more relatable. With that said, here are the Top 5 Annoyances of being a PAL region basketball gamer!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:43 am

Late release dates can be a blessing and a curse sometimes.

It sucks that we have to wait what used to be upto a week longer that our friends in USA but on the other hand when it comes to draft classes, sliders and rosters with missing players by the time you get the game someone has put in the work already for you so you just have to tweak rather than start from scratch.

Also in the rare occasions a game update may of come through but yeah I’d still like to get the game earlier.

Playing online in different timezones can be a really pain too and as you know I am not a huge online gamer but in the past I have turned down online league offers due to not wanting to start up till 3am to play a scheduled game.

Good Friday Five Andrew!
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks. :)

That's a fair point about patches and sliders. Sometimes, we can hit the ground running with that stuff. I too have declined some offers from leagues, mostly because it's not my thing, but also because the different time zones would've made it difficult to make it my thing on top of everything else.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: My Top 5 Favourite NBA Live Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:26 pm

August 28th, 2015: My Top 5 Favourite NBA Live Games

As you may have seen, our 20th Anniversary of NBA Live celebrations are underway. We’ve got lot of fun stuff lined up, including complete retrospectives for every single game in the series, feature articles, analysis, patches, and more. As this is the first Friday Five since our 20th Anniversary content tipped off, it seems like a good time for a countdown that’s been on my list for some time now: My Top 5 Favourite Games in the NBA Live series.

Please keep in mind that these aren’t objectively the best games in the NBA Live series, though I do believe they rank up there. As part of our celebrations, I’ll also be collaborating with the rest of the NLSC Team to pick the Top 10 Games in the NBA Live series, which I believe will reflect popular opinion, not just my own preferences. As for this list however, I’m just briefly reflecting on my personal Top 5 favourite NBA Live games, sentimental picks included; again, full retrospectives will be coming for each game. With that said, let’s get to the countdown!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Best Features in Subpar Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:28 am

September 4th, 2015: 5 Best Features in Subpar Basketball Video Games

Generally speaking, when it comes to subpar basketball video games, we don’t have too many good things to say about them. However, even the worst basketball video games can sometimes boast really good features. Those features may not be enough to save the game from bad reviews and the scorn of basketball gamers, but they’re still worthy of recognition. Indeed, it’s frustrating to see such appealing features, and not be able to enjoy them because the rest of the product isn’t up to scratch.

Perhaps even more frustrating, however, is when those great features in bad games are never really followed up on, and end up being absent in future releases. In this week’s Friday Five, I’m taking a look at five of the best features in five of the most notably subpar basketball video games that I’ve played. Let’s begin.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Worst Features in Great Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:19 am

September 11th, 2015: 5 Worst Features in Great Basketball Video Games

In last week’s Friday Five, I took a look at the five best features in subpar basketball video games. It wasn’t the easiest list to compile, since the main reason subpar basketball video games have that reputation is that they don’t have much going for them in the first place. However, even in the worst releases, there are usually some good ideas, and concepts that have merit.

This week I’m going in the other direction, as I take a look at five of the worst features in some of the best basketball video games. All things considered, this was probably the tougher list; while no game is perfect, great basketball video games don’t achieve that status by having too many game-breaking flaws. Nevertheless, some of the best games have had their weaknesses, and surprisingly disappointing features. At the very least, there might be a mode or feature that just doesn’t seem as good when compared to everything else in the game. With that said, let’s get started on the Five.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:39 am

mp3 wrote:Yeah I mean when EA or 2k have a roster player that shows zero resemble to there RL self.

The real winners here are Sony and Konami.

In the first NBA ShootOut, Jordan, Barkley and Shaq are all white guys with hair.

Konami put roster players into NBA In The Zone 2 that had the actual facemaps of Jordan/Barkley/Shaq textured onto them. Which got them in major shit, so for their next game In The Zone '98, Jordan was a white guy. (Shaq and Barkley's exclusive contracts had expired and they returned to the NBAPA licensing for the 1997-98 games.)
benji

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Worst Features in Great Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:30 am

Yeah, it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to work around not having their likeness rights, when you actually use their likenesses.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Most Significant Patches & Mods

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:29 am

September 18th, 2015: 5 Most Significant Patches & Mods

I make a habit of mentioning it in our file additions bulletins, and it’s absolutely true: we have a really talented community here at the NLSC, when it comes to our patches and mods. I’ve usually shied away from compiling “best of” lists, or handing out community awards for patching, as it can easily lead to tension and bad blood. Furthermore, everyone’s hard work deserves recognition, and there have been a lot of great patches and mods throughout the years, all of which are significant in their own right.

However, there are a handful of releases that stand out from the pack, being patches that were particularly popular and well-crafted, and in some cases, drew a lot of interest from outside of our community. To that end, in this week’s Friday Five, I’ve selected what I feel are the five most significant patches and mods to come along so far. Without any further ado, let’s take a look.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: My Plans for Tip-Off Weekend

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:33 pm

September 25th, 2015: My Plans for Tip-Off Weekend

I’ve been a bit caught up with a few matters this week, I’m currently in the process of setting up a brand new gaming PC, and this evening I’m catching up with a friend who’s leaving the country very soon. Arcane and I also weren’t able to get together to record a new episode of the NLSC Podcast, but we’ll be back with a new show next week. However, I did want to get a new Friday Five out today, though it’s going to be a little shorter than usual, and somewhat “last minute”.

I’m guessing most of you will be alright with that though, as chances are you’re getting ready for the NBA 2K16 Early Tip-Off Weekend. That’s certainly on my agenda, and to that end, this week’s Five is all about my plans for the next few days. Without any further ado, here’s what I’m planning to do as soon as my schedule is clear, and, to quote The Vogues, no one owns a piece of my time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Aspects of Online Culture I Dislike

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:59 am

October 2nd, 2015: 5 Aspects of Online Culture I Dislike

NBA Live 16 and NBA 2K16 are in stores now, and to that end, it would make sense to discuss one or both of them in this week’s Friday Five. However, I’d like to spend a bit more time with both games before I offer up any impressions, and discuss certain elements of them in detail. Furthermore, this week’s topic – five aspects of online culture that I dislike – is one that I’ve been meaning to talk about for a while. The timing isn’t completely inappropriate either, as we see a lot of this stuff pop up whenever new games are released.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I maintain that we have a good thing going here at the NLSC, and I do like being a part of an online community. I also believe that the World Wide Web in general is a fantastic invention that continues to innovate, and it’s done a lot to make video games a bigger business, and an even more enjoyable hobby. However, there are some negative traits that permeate online culture, especially in gaming communities. When it comes to the five things I’m about to discuss, I think we need to either grow up, or get over ourselves…or maybe both.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Silly Things I’ve Done in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:17 pm

October 9th, 2015: 5 Silly Things I’ve Done in Basketball Games

When it comes to basketball games, I like to think of myself as a member of Sim Nation…shout out to Da_Czar. Although some of the improvements to basketball games in recent years have challenged my perception of how realistically I play, and what realism truly means, on the whole I would say that I do indeed prefer a true to life style of play, and want to see NBA Live and NBA 2K reflect the real NBA as closely as possible. Of course, I also believe there’s a need for more casual, or “arcade style” gameplay settings, too.

I also have to admit that my approach to basketball games hasn’t always been so sim. When I first started playing NBA Live 95 on Super Nintendo, my approach was definitely more casual, and less focused on realism. However, even after I took an interest in playing basketball games more realistically, I’d occasionally take a break from that style, in the name of doing something fun. Not that I don’t consider playing realistically to be fun, but sometimes, a break from the norm and a bit of silliness is refreshing. And, as you’ll soon find out, I’ve done some quite silly things with basketball games from time to time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Silly Things I’ve Done in Basketball Games

Postby [Q] on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Lol I played "dress up" in Live 2005 & 06 as well
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard