Fallout 4

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Cpt(K) on Wed May 20, 2015 10:52 am

Andrew wrote:There have been times wandering the Capital and Mojave Wastelands that I've thought a vehicle would come in handy. There's the precedent of the Highwayman in Fallout 2, too. That said, I'm also fine with the idea of traversing the map on foot, given the amount of ruins and whatnot.

Yes that would definitely be a good thing. Traveling on foot is just fine, but I can't put anymore emphasis on the annoying restrictions in the "open world." At least make it so that the terrain offers no other path, but don't have an invisible force barring entry. If that were to happen again this time, I would expect the same mediocrity of a linear "open world" we've seen in the past. While it was possible to arrive in New Vegas from the start of the game - other areas proved to be deliberately inaccessible. As such in their previous titles you'd see mods such as the "Invisible wall remover" for New Vegas.

Cooperative play would also be interesting - though I'm not sure how that would affect the franchise, and their gameplay elements.
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Well, there were still legit ways to make a bee-line for New Vegas without running into invisible walls. You just had to deal with Deathclaws and Cazadors at a low level. But yeah, it feels a bit cheap...make the terrain seem more obviously insurmountable, as you said.

I also think that if they did add a vehicle, they'd definitely need to make the map bigger, and add some restrictions that prevent it from turning into a Fallout-themed GTA clone. There's always fast travel after discovering a location, which I preferred to use rather than making the trek every time, and that's a viable alternative. The skirmishes and random encounters do make it worth travelling on foot to discover locations in the first place, in my opinion.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Wed May 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Vehicles would be great if they were rare and not overpowered. Imagine the potential random encounters and extra gameplay elements that could be possible. Make the fuel scarce so driving doesn't dominate a large portion of gameplay. Vehicle about to blow? It's a nuclear explosion. Mount a nuke launcher or other heavy weapon and wreak havoc. Run over savage children that like to blow up cars by laying mines on the roads.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed May 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Yeah, you'd definitely have to balance it, and have a map to suit it. I like the idea of having to maintain fuel (microfusion cells, history would say, which means you wouldn't have them for energy weapons that use them as ammo) and having some special random encounters that are vehicle-specific.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu May 21, 2015 6:06 am

Mhm. I'm just expecting so much with this release - knowing what they're capable of it's often disappointing when you look at missed opportunities. In addition to vehicular implementations - there's perspectives. First person has been a horrible experience for me what with seeing only the arms and the weapon. Looking at "next-gen" titles like Destiny they didn't go the extra step that amateurs have like here: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55648/?

I don't understand why they scrimp on aesthetics regarding both first and especially third person view (infamously inferior animations in many popular first person titles that try to just throw third person together with sloppy animations). First person for fallout (at least fallout 3 and on) have served well gameplay wise, but less elsewhere.
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 am

I must admit, that doesn't really bother me, but then I haven't really been into first person shooters since the likes of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D (the FPS elements in Fallout 3/New Vegas aside). I usually spend a lot of time in third person anyway, so that's probably the main reason.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu May 21, 2015 12:22 pm

I really like third person too. I prefer it more than first person, but third person is usually as stated earlier - unpolished. The Elder Scrolls had to wait until Skyrim to get even remotely good with their third person movement animations, and I'll just disregard the horrid recycling of animations certain franchises have resorted too.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled, but after installing countless community created mods for official games I've become to expect much more. You'd think developers should play or monitor their own games after release for a bit, and see what the communities respond to and how.

I'm not asking for a perfect release, but one that takes past errs into consideration. A release that literally looks at how the other one fell short (sort of what EA Sports is doing with NBA Live). It could be because their renown and overall revenue doesn't drive them further to innovate at an exponential level in the genre. Can't be sure, but sometimes I think I could be a developer myself.
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Thu May 21, 2015 12:59 pm

The third person animations could be better, but I have to admit that they didn't bother me much either. I still found the gameplay, the atmosphere, the quests and so on fun and engaging, to the point where I didn't mind where some of the aesthetics were outdated. Of course, we're talking about a new generation of consoles and better PCs, so there does need to be some improvement there. But as with the basketball games, I can accept shortcomings with the graphics if everything else is up to scratch.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:40 am

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:22 am

It certainly does, can't wait to see what Bethesda has in store for us.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Counting down from 11 hours right now.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Early leak: http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-announced-f ... 1708679442

Trailer rumoured to be incoming.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:07 am

phpBB [video]

https://youtu.be/Lnn2rJpjar4

11390297_10152786515361688_8484442297090996507_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 am

Just saw that earlier, pretty exciting stuff. As fantastic as their games are, I just hope that this time Bethesda won't fall too much behind technology-wise like they have in the past few games, using engines that were clearly aging and not taking advantage of new features (Nvidia hairworks for example, which is clearly not used in this trailer but has been around for a while).
Anyway, I'm sure the game will be awesome.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:16 am

Graphics-wise the trailer was unimpressive, imo. Improved from past iterations? Yes. Impressive? No. I'm still interested in it, though.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:26 am

fiiiiiiiine Andrew, installed FO3 so I can get caught up in time for all this. Will boot it up tonight.

Any must-have mods for it?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:11 am

Unofficial patch, retexture mods by your own taste (and PC), MTUI, ...

I personally had way more fun with New Vegas.

Pdub wrote:Graphics-wise the trailer was unimpressive, imo. Improved from past iterations? Yes. Impressive? No. I'm still interested in it, though.

If it'll be like Skyrim, I'll be fine with it.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 am

If the gameplay is enjoyable, if the story and the world draws me in as it did with Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, then I don't mind if the graphics aren't cutting edge. For my part, I thought the graphics we saw in the trailer were just fine, though I'll agree they're not mind-blowing. I'll take substance over flash, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:43 pm

Woo! Graphics look fine, I like the color palette. I liked New Vegas better than Fallout 3 - it was less polished but had a better choice system. Fallout 3 was nonetheless really fun and I know Bethesda will do a great job with this. Can't wait until Fall 2016!
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm guessing it'll be a 2015 release, since they're already taking pre-orders. The actual date is yet to be announced, but most sites/online stores are listing 2015 for the release.

Man, it'd be a huge tease if it was a 2016 title. Still, at least it would've been announced, and we'd know it's coming. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:37 pm

I thought the release date haven't been set yet?
EDIT: Andrew was faster
Things I hope for:
  • PC modding support - I'd say it's almost certain though
  • Quality models - Textures we can mod (create) rather easily, good models are much tougher
  • At least Skyrim quality faces - Faces were one thing that was really pissing me off in NV
  • Settlement creation - probably not gonna happen, but it would be nice to be able to create, grow and maintain a settlement
  • Voiced PC - vault dweller from the trailer was voiced
  • FP Legs - It's in the details
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Yeah, that'll be interesting to see if they have voice acting for the player character this time around. One of the rumoured leaked scripts hinted at it if I recall correctly, and with the voice in the teaser trailer, it seems a distinct possibility.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Oh and I hope it's gonna be 64 bit app, no more memory restrictions.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Jackal on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Here's a person who said some stuff about fallout 4 around a year back which could be fake but could be real too. Just sharing info.
Jackal

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:21 am

I was reading that as well, but I was also reading that the male-only protagonist may not be true, since Bethesda has always been about letting you play the game your way. Iirc, I thought they had castings for the female voice protagonist back when the leak first happened.

I take back what I said about the graphics. Some higher quality images have shown up.

Youtube vs high quality trailer comparison shots - https://imgur.com/a/kFqfZ#13

High quality trailer- http://www.gamersyde.com/download_fallo ... 74_en.html
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic