2K15 Explorer [WIP] [v0.285 Released]

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K15 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

2K15 Explorer [WIP] [v0.285 Released]

Postby gregkwaste on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:08 am

Hey all,

i decided to make a new topic, just to keep all the info all together in the same first post or something. Nesa has already made a topic describing pretty much how stuff works this year, so i think there is no need to get into this a second time.

I am working on an Explorer for the 2K archives, which is in a capital [WIP] state, but that does not mean that there is no progress.

Quite some time now i am working on reading the game's textures and the last 2 days i managed to find some more (the rest one will stay on the other topic, i am to lazy to bring them here):D:D

I think though that i can add more fixes and tweaks on this, because of the DX10 textures that are there on some textures. There are some more things that i can implement using opengl which i haven't right now. Basically i implement things when i find that something is not working, so i need to get into a testing cycle to see which things work and which don't and make my adjustments accordingly.

Those kind of implementations allowed me to read those normal mapsl. These greenish-like normal textures are not absolutely "correct" and i have no idea if i can fix this. What is happening in fact is that the actual image is an rgb and opengl reads it as bgr. I need to find out how to work this out. Otherwise the whole texture structure is correct and i am so glad for that :D. The rest of the textures look good so far. It seems that this "channel-mixing" (thats how i call it) algorithm is the same for all textures, and i am also so glad for this :P

Except from that, all face textures (and basically most of the player textures) are 1024x1024. I start to believe that this game has THOUSANDS of textures, which in this manner of storing it is NOT easy to explore, but anyway :P

Oh and another thing that i almost forgot. I think i suck a bit on making comfortable gui interfaces so if anyone has a better interface concept in mind please to propose it here, and i'll be glad to implement it. If i like it of course xD

TODO list:
- Add exporting texture support

So here we go for now :D

----------------------------------------------------------

Current Release : v0.285

Version: 0.285

#Features#

-Importing Capabilities
-IFF Import support (also supports iff files extracted from RED MC)
-Texture Import (png,jpg,dds image formats supported)
-Ultra HD Texture import support
-OGG/GZIP/ZIP import support

-Exporting Capabilities
-IFF Exporting
-Texture Export to DDS format
-Model Export in obj format

-Previewing Capabilities
-Texture Previewing
-OGG file player included
-3D Model previewing

-Misc
-Tons of performance fixes
-GUI changes
-Tons of bugfixes

Download

NBA 2K15 Explorer v0.27

Version: 0.27

#Features#

-Importing Capabilities
-IFF Import support (also supports iff files extracted from RED MC)
-Texture Import (png,jpg,dds image formats supported)
-Ultra HD Texture import support

-Exporting Capabilities
-IFF Exporting
-Texture Export to DDS format
-Model Export in obj format

-Previewing Capabilities
-Texture Previewing
-OGG file player included
-3D Model previewing

Download

NBA 2K15 Explorer v0.1

HowTo Guide:

Getting Started

Current Version: 0.1

Features:
  • Archive Exploring
  • Customizable Exploring based on User Preferences
  • Archive Contents Extraction
  • OGG Sound Player embedded for previewing game sound files
  • OpenGL texture viewer for previewing game texture files
  • Texture Export Support (Automatic convertion to dds legacy format)
NBA2K15 Explorer allows a quick exploring of the 2K15 archives. Its interface is split into 3 sections. It offers the ability to load game archives based on user selection, and parse the contents of each again, after user interaction. For every subarchive opened there is the possibility to extract its contents to a desired location but also to preview them. Preview support for now limits to json files (on the Text Editor), OGG sound files (on the Media Player), ZIP files (on the Archive Explorer) and DDS files on the OpenGL viewer. It also offers an Information Panel, in order to provide information about the file currently open.

NBA2K15 Explorer is still under development so there is always room for improvement. There could be bugs around which i haven't yet found, or there could be files which do not still open, or give out errors on the console. For this particular reason, i have intentionally left the app run under an output console, which automatically opens when you are running the tool executable. So if anyone has noticed something wrong with the tool, grab a screenshot of the console and send it over.

How it works

DO NOT try to open anything before reading this, you will save much time and you will thank me later xD. Before opening anything, open the Preferences under the Options menu. From this preferences window you can select the archives of which file you want to explore. 1C, 1L and 1K together contain nearly 200,000 subarchives when the total of subarchives is 360,000. That means that if you still want to load those files and explore their contents, you will have to WAIT. And wait patiently, because it may take up to 7-10 minutes to load everything depending on the computer of course. I advice you to explore these files separately if you want to.

Now having your preferences set, the only thing left is to click open and select the 0A file. Thats it, after a while you will see all the archives in the treeview together with each one's subarchives listed. DO NOT try opening any other file. OPEN ONLY 0A file. This one contains all the information about all the rest files.

In order to explore a subarchive, simply double click on it. By double clicking the tool will ask you to open the file that the subarchive belongs, if its not already opened. By double clicking you will see all the subarchive contents on the down left list view.

Double clicking again on this listview will attempt to open the selected file.

Note
If the file you seleted is a Zip file, its contents will appear on the Archive Explorer Tab. I have implemented a custom zip file parser, so you can again double click on any zip file subfile and the tool will try to preview it. For example if its a texture it will open in the OpenGL viewer, if its a json file it will open in the Text Editor.

File Exporting

IFF Contents
In order to export subarchive contents (or in other words (mostly) IFF contents) ,on the Archive Contents listview, make your selection with the mouse, hit rightclick and click Export. A dialog will show up with saving directory options.
Textures
If you are mostly interested in textures, the best solution for exporting is via the OpenGL previewing window. After opening a DDS file, right click on the viewport and select Save Image. This will save your image in legacy dds format wherever you select to.

TODO
  • Add Import functions
  • Add 3D model preview support
  • Store user settings externally
  • Get rid of the open file dialogs and parse the file from the game directory directly
I'm really looking forward to your feedback, in order to make this tool better :)

Download
Last edited by gregkwaste on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
This topic was moved by a nonexistent user on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:44 pm.
gregkwaste
Tzatziki Master
Contributor

Re: 2K15 Explorer [WIP] [Texture Showcase for now]

Postby TBM on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am

This is great work. Can't wait to get my hands on this stuff. (Y)
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nesa24 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:39 am

gregkwaste wrote:Those kind of implementations allowed me to read those normal mapsl. These greenish-like normal textures are not absolutely "correct" and i have no idea if i can fix this. What is happening in fact is that the actual image is an rgb and opengl reads it as bgr. I need to find out how to work this out. Otherwise the whole texture structure is correct and i am so glad for that :D. The rest of the textures look good so far. It seems that this "channel-mixing" (thats how i call it) algorithm is the same for all textures, and i am also so glad for this :P

maybe read channels as BigEndian [Motorola]?
rgb=bgr in BigEndian order
All men dream: but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
This I did.
nesa24

Postby PeacemanNOT on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:48 am

I appreciate what you guys are doing with the modding situation but it's almost been a month and I'm getting very impatient. Keep it up though I'm sure you guys will get it done. :applaud:
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby nesa24 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:55 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:I appreciate what you guys are doing with the modding situation but it's almost been a month and I'm getting very impatient. Keep it up though I'm sure you guys will get it done. :applaud:

well if i close company and kill all family and friends you could mod on game release date..
we do have offline life..

wait..
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
This I did.
nesa24

Postby PeacemanNOT on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 am

nesa24 wrote:
PeacemanNOT wrote:I appreciate what you guys are doing with the modding situation but it's almost been a month and I'm getting very impatient. Keep it up though I'm sure you guys will get it done. :applaud:

well if i close company and kill all family and friends you could mod on game release date..
we do have offline life..

wait..

Sorry I take you guys for some wasters sitting at a computer all day.... stop acting so defensive, I'm only joking around. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way :?
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby nesa24 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:38 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:Sorry I take you guys for some wasters sitting at a computer all day.... stop acting so defensive, I'm only joking around. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way :?

not defensive at all.. that was a joke...
This I did.
nesa24

Postby laroche23 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Mad respect to all modders ,u guys do a phenomenal job figuring out those things ...I know ..I could not..I will wait no matter how long it takes ,it's well worth the wait ..thanks to all of u !!!!!!!!!
laroche23

Postby Tha King on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:55 pm

nesa24 wrote:
gregkwaste wrote:Those kind of implementations allowed me to read those normal mapsl. These greenish-like normal textures are not absolutely "correct" and i have no idea if i can fix this. What is happening in fact is that the actual image is an rgb and opengl reads it as bgr. I need to find out how to work this out. Otherwise the whole texture structure is correct and i am so glad for that :D. The rest of the textures look good so far. It seems that this "channel-mixing" (thats how i call it) algorithm is the same for all textures, and i am also so glad for this :P

When I read that thing It also comes to my mind that you should read it the other way around.
Or make the opengl in reverse way.
You can now donate to me, to make me more motivated on patching! thank you for those who are supporting me.
Tha King

Postby gregkwaste on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:38 am

nesa24 wrote:

I only pass streams of compressed data in opengl so i need to tweak those streams in order to revert the order. I remember i had those problems before, and i think that the very same textures, with some header modification show properly in other software. I'll take a closer look on this.
gregkwaste
Tzatziki Master
Contributor

Postby maumau78 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:42 am

Greg please contact Vlad on the other topic.......you and him can do magic now....
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Graveyard on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:04 am

Dont listen to maumau , vlad want to get money for his tool better work with nesa
Graveyard

Postby maumau78 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:09 am

Graveyard wrote:Dont listen to maumau , vlad want to get money for his tool better work with nesa

As a long time Vlad supporter I can assure you $ for Vlad tools are well spent.....BTW he can of course listen me or not :wink:
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Graveyard on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:15 am

yes but that prevent a lot of person from modding roster and other stuff ,imagine if the creator of 3dm and modtool have done the same , you think you will have all that great modder in the last few years modders spent their time why to ask them to spend also their money ?
Graveyard

Postby maumau78 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:22 am

Graveyard wrote:yes but that prevent a lot of person from modding roster and other stuff ,imagine if the creator of 3dm and modtool have done the same , you think you will have all that great modder in the last few years modders spent their time why to ask them to spend also their money ?

with respect Bro,

IMHO,,,

If you have the money for 2k15...
..you also have the money for some quality tools for 10$...

problem here is that many guys "buy" pirated version of the game and always complain about everything; like no patch no support and bla bla bla
I'm 100% sure of this :wink:

Vlad Tools IMHO worth the money he's asking becouse bring game to new dimension....

EOD
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Graveyard on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:32 am

yes we have money for 2k15 but we dont want to waste money for a tool you remind me of people buying DLC for game , now every developer make an incomplete game and sell the rest in DLC , any way go buy vlad tool i will wait for nesa and greg
Graveyard

Postby nesa24 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:36 am

are you guys ok?

whats wrong with this forum?

you should be asking your self what is community..

in this topic and in my topic you complain about vlad?!

you are telling greg not to work with vlad?! but to work with me

community is sharing
i have posted tutorial about file research, posted and explained code for extracting iffs and unpacking them

focus on helping not waiting and talk about vlads money

we 3 should stop make modding posible so you wont complain about vlad-greg-me

common lets mod
This I did.
nesa24

Postby Graveyard on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:44 am

...... community is sharing .....

Thats the point im not complaining about vlad he make good tool and work hard for it , and also not complaining about working together , my point was about sharing ( and not selling ) anyway that will be my last post i dont want that topic to be closed , and good luck for all of you
Graveyard

Postby buddaking on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:10 am

Who care if vlad want money for his tool. I want to mod this game very badly and is willing to spend some cash on the tool if it going to help this game. it's the only reason why i brought it for the pc this year.

Let not be cheap and support each other.
buddaking

Postby JBulls on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:54 pm

How much is the tool? I've never used it. One post said as much as the game so $60 USD and another said $10, that's a pretty big discrepancy...
JBulls

Postby TBM on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 pm

Vlad's editor is pay-per-feature, so there's really no set amount.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lagoa on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Sorry, i made patches for 10/12 years...never sell my mods....

SELL MODS are a JOKE for the community. Just my opinion.
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM and TWITTER @lagoanba

Please consider making a donation of any value if you like my work! :D

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url
Lagoa

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Echoing my post from Vlad's thread...

Andrew wrote:A general reminder to be respectful to your fellow Forum members, and to please leave the moderating to us. Whether it's attacking Vlad because RED MC isn't free, or attacking people because they have a different point of view on the matter to you, it's not on.

We've explained the situation with RED MC being available at a price several times in the past. Our position is this: we understand where people are coming from as far as being disappointed that it's not free, because as a community, we have prided ourselves on providing free content over the years; indeed, charging for mods themselves actually does invite potential legal problems, because it would be profiting off someone else's intellectual property (the player's likeness, team trademarks, the game files, and so on). That's one of the main reasons why it's against the rules. We do make an exception for RED MC because of the time taken to develop it, and the fact that it's basically a third-party add-on, somewhat akin to a Gameshark or unofficial Smartphone accessory; it's something that Vlad has created himself from scratch, to be used in conjunction with another product.

Of course, if someone is willing and able to make a tool that does the same thing, and not charge for it, then they are certainly welcome to do that. Anyone who doesn't wish to pay for RED MC can use and support said other tool instead.

Andrew wrote:Again, I understand this is a sore point for some people, but I ask that we remain respectful and civilised when broaching it, and not let it permeate every discussion about the development of tools. If there's something that needs clarification, or you really feel we need to discuss the issue further, a separate thread in the Help & Requests section, or perhaps the NLSC Hub, would be more appropriate. As for this thread, and the other tool development threads, let's avoid any further bickering. Thanks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby gregkwaste on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:24 am

Andrew wrote:Echoing my post from Vlad's thread...

Andrew wrote:A general reminder to be respectful to your fellow Forum members, and to please leave the moderating to us. Whether it's attacking Vlad because RED MC isn't free, or attacking people because they have a different point of view on the matter to you, it's not on.

We've explained the situation with RED MC being available at a price several times in the past. Our position is this: we understand where people are coming from as far as being disappointed that it's not free, because as a community, we have prided ourselves on providing free content over the years; indeed, charging for mods themselves actually does invite potential legal problems, because it would be profiting off someone else's intellectual property (the player's likeness, team trademarks, the game files, and so on). That's one of the main reasons why it's against the rules. We do make an exception for RED MC because of the time taken to develop it, and the fact that it's basically a third-party add-on, somewhat akin to a Gameshark or unofficial Smartphone accessory; it's something that Vlad has created himself from scratch, to be used in conjunction with another product.

Of course, if someone is willing and able to make a tool that does the same thing, and not charge for it, then they are certainly welcome to do that. Anyone who doesn't wish to pay for RED MC can use and support said other tool instead.

Andrew wrote:Again, I understand this is a sore point for some people, but I ask that we remain respectful and civilised when broaching it, and not let it permeate every discussion about the development of tools. If there's something that needs clarification, or you really feel we need to discuss the issue further, a separate thread in the Help & Requests section, or perhaps the NLSC Hub, would be more appropriate. As for this thread, and the other tool development threads, let's avoid any further bickering. Thanks.

I am really watching quietly what is going on with the tools available in the 2K community, and i would NEVER want to cause any trouble on anyone, but i can't stay out of the game on this one because either i like it or no, i guess i am the only one that can help vlad (and nesa of course) on textures and stuff for now, and i've already read somebody's post requesting me to help out. So here is my short and straight forward opinion and i won't return on this again.

I am really working hard on this new 2K stuff, not because i wait for something, but thats my hobby, and i learn so much stuff from this. I am currently a student so i don't have any or any -extra- income, but i would NEVER EVER EVER EVER sell any tool that i make. So i feel a bit akward on this but i don't find any meaning on giving information that i coped to find, on someone that his intention is to make money from it. I am sure vlad is an experienced fella, and he is going to find his way on everything. If he accepts giving the whole suite for free, i will help with all my heart, but i can't do anything in a situation like this.

Sorry for any inconvenience
Greg
gregkwaste
Tzatziki Master
Contributor

Postby Vl@d Zola Jr. on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:18 am

gregkwaste wrote:I am really working hard on this new 2K stuff, not because i wait for something, but thats my hobby, and i learn so much stuff from this. I am currently a student so i don't have any or any -extra- income, but i would NEVER EVER EVER EVER sell any tool that i make.

I was thinking the same, when i was a high school/freshman college student. :D
Anyway, keep up the good work! Maybe you'll end up in VC one day.

As for me, i don't use mods, i hardly play the game at all. So it's been 5 years since i stopped spending a lot of spare time playing video games. But there is a demand, and i have skills to satisfy this demand, that's why i charge the money (otherwise i would be doing something else to earn for a loaf of bread, and there would never be an editor).

I don't really ask for help. Would probably figure out how textures work myself at some point. But as i stated, RED MC can do pretty everything with textures (import/size-changing), and the inability to preview original textures is the only thing which is holding off the release of the tool, thus the whole modding process.
So, up to you. Can help and make the modding possible as soon as tomorrow, also getting a special credit. Or wait for me to decode that myself. Or in case your tool gets released asap, i think, everyone would be grateful.

Anyway, i'm off to work now. Drop me a PM, if you decide to make the modding possible asap. :roll:

Vlad
Vl@d Zola Jr.
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to NBA 2K15 Modding