Larry Hughes - the next Kobe Bryant

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Postby CHHAMP on Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:43 pm

Larry Hughes @ Atlanta:

20 points
5-11fg
10-12ft
8 rebounds
4 assists
3 steals
CHHAMP

Postby champ on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:01 pm

will_K8 wrote:Dude... firstly, I think that MJ should leave cause one reason that Kwame didn't perform is that MJ took the spotlight of Kwame. Everyone knows that one plays better when they are being watched/focussed on. MJ took everyone's attention off Kwame and he didn't feel he could play as well cause he didn't get no support. That's why MJ should go. Or at least settle for his sixth man role.

WHO REACKONS MJ SHOULD START??

:lol: LMAO!

Michael Jordan @ Atlanta:

30 points
12-18fg
6-6ft
3 reb
2 ast
plus, the most incredible shot of the season
champ

Postby champ on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:47 pm

Back to Hughes, this guy is only 23-years-old. You wouldn't know when you see him play the game. His shot selection and commitment to defense and low turnover rate is absolutely veteran-like. And this is playing his non-preferred position! The Wizards have really struck gold with this signing.
champ

Postby champ on Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:35 pm

Larry Hughes vs Memphis Grizzlies:

14pts
6-8fg
2-2ft
6ast
2reb
1stl
champ

Postby champ on Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:01 am

Hughes is shooting .490 from the field this season (28 games). That is 16th in the NBA. And 3rd best for guards. He is also shooting .440 from 3-point range.
champ

Postby Clinton on Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:54 pm

Champ, noone cares about Larry Hughes.
Clinton

Postby air gordon on Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:59 pm

i dont know about this 'noone' person you are talking about, but i'm a fan of larry hughes
air gordon

Postby champ on Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:26 pm

Larry will lead the NBA in scoring next season. He's been asked to play PG for the Wizards this season. When your SG and SF are Stackhouse and MJ, you won't get many shot attempts. But next season Larry will be SG and might aswell be called Larry Legend. The guy shoots 49%, is a superb athlete, and with his stroke, requires far less shots than Iverson to get the scoring title.
champ

Postby death on Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:16 pm

larry hughes scoring title? u really are delusional
death

Postby Wall St. Peon on Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:06 am

Larry will lead the NBA in scoring next season. He's been asked to play PG for the Wizards this season. When your SG and SF are Stackhouse and MJ, you won't get many shot attempts. But next season Larry will be SG and might aswell be called Larry Legend. The guy shoots 49%, is a superb athlete, and with his stroke, requires far less shots than Iverson to get the scoring title.

:lol: haha, you gotta be kidding me...Larry Hughes has an ugly jumpshot, he's inconsistant, and when he's the number one scoring option he shoots worse than Iverson. Stackhouse and MJ are ahead of Hughes in the pecking order and teams are cheating away from Hughes because of his inconsistant jumpshot. Don't bring up the percentages because they don't really matter...he's not going to get the scoring title, not with players like Iverson, T-Mac, Kobe, and Shaq around, guys that can put up at lealst 30 a night consistantly. Antawn Jamison and Vince Carter are more likely to win the scoring title than Larry Hughes...hehe, I laugh when I say it "Larry Hughes is the NBA's Leading Scorer," lol
Shane
Wall St. Peon

Postby MC Hao on Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:50 am

hehe, I laugh when I say it "Larry Hughes is the NBA's Leading Scorer," lol

Anything is possible. 2 years ago I told people that Dirk Nowitzki will be a MVP-type player, they laughed at my face. Look at Dirk now, he's one of the best players in the NBA. I can't say he will win the MVP title, but he's definitely a candidate. Hughes leading the NBA in scoring won't happen soon, but it is possible in the future.
MC Hao

Postby Wall St. Peon on Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:40 pm

Hughes leading the NBA in scoring won't happen soon, but it is possible in the future

Yeah, I know it won't happen soon...I said next year. Maybe - MAYBE five years down the road he could, but definately not next year with so many proven scorers still around.
Shane
Wall St. Peon

Postby GloveGuy on Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:07 pm

Anyone see Hughes play last night? Many of you guys seem to be judging him on last year where he had horrible shot selection and no point guard skills. But this year he's been running the offense very well and looks like a pure point guard who's just a bit taller than his opponents(which is an advantage). His shot selection is improving and he has learned to be the third option. Last night he shot 7-13, scored 22 points, went to the line 11 times, and all in 32 minutes. I disagree with Shane who says that his J is ugly. If Stackhouse were to realize that his shooting is awful(41.1% this season) and that Hughes is playing very well. This month he's only scored in single figures twice out of 15 games. I just don't like when people judge Larry Hughes by his past because his play this season shows how much he improved his point guard skills over the summer. There's no telling how much he could do as the number one option on the Wizards.
GloveGuy

Postby champ on Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:33 pm

Larry Hughes this season:

Field goal %: .492 (16th best in the NBA and 3rd best among guards)

3-point %: .429

And let me point out that Hughes scores majority of his points with jumpshots, not drives. And if you watch Hughes play, not only will you be amazed by his accuracy, you will be amazed by what i consider to be the most technically perfect jumpshot technique in the game today. Let me also point out that Doug Collins has said that "Larry has excellent shot selection". Yet some of you think he has awful shot-selection. Are you watching his games? Are you delusional?

Larry Hughes is playing PG this season. That gives him no chance to score more than 15ppg when you have 2 bonafide scorers at SF and SG who couldn't play PG. But next season Hughes will play SG, because Jordan won't be there. Hughes will be the first option on offense regardless of whether Brickhouse is there or not (he probably won't be there anyway).
champ

Postby Boyk on Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:54 pm

Ok, i agree that hughes is a great player and gonna be even better once old man retires
but c'mon, hes not a good point guard
u keep sayin hes running the point well, ok his shotselection is a lot bettter, but i mean c'mon, the guy averages 2.8 assists per game!!
thats gotta be one of the lowest assist averages for a point guard ever!
hes good now and will be even better, but hes definatley no point guard
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby champ on Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:19 pm

i agree 100%, he is definitely no point guard. and i can't wait to see what he does next season when the wizards can slot him in at shooting guard. 2 years ago hughes hit 41 on the lakers playing the shooting guard position. although admittedly, its a little hard to tell what type of point guard hughes is in the wizards offense, because they don't use the point guard as the main playmaker, but rather rely on jordan and stackhouse for setting up others. but i have always wanted hughes at the shooting guard spot, no question.
champ

Postby Rens on Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:59 pm

Stackhouse shouldn't play SF. The Wiz would be better off getting a guy at SF that can set things up so they can play Hughes and Stack at the guard positions.
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby MC Hao on Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:00 am

Stackhouse shouldn't play SF. The Wiz would be better off getting a guy at SF that can set things up so they can play Hughes and Stack at the guard positions.

Maybe Bobby Simmons will step up next season... :lol:
MC Hao

Postby champ on Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:18 pm

Dan Gadzuric wrote:Stackhouse shouldn't play SF. The Wiz would be better off getting a guy at SF that can set things up so they can play Hughes and Stack at the guard positions.

well, brick/stackhouse is playing SF this season. MJ is playing SG. and stack contiues do deliver his usual stellar 41% shooting and 22ppg. so i don't see why stack shouldn't play SF.
champ

Postby Clinton on Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:00 pm

Jared Jeffries will start at SF after MJ retires for good.
Clinton

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball