Rewriting History - 2008/09 New Orleans Hornets

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Rewriting History - 2008/09 New Orleans Hornets

Postby Martti. on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:22 pm

>> Roster

Image Image Image Image Image

C - Samuel Dalembert (71)
PF - Josh Smith (88)
SF - C.J Miles (70)
SG - Shannon Brown (77)
PG - Stephen Curry (81)
---------------------------------
6th - Jamaal Tinsley (77)
7th - Ersan Ilyasova (71)
8th - Sonny Weems (69)
9th - James Posey (67)
10th - Hakim Warrick (65)
11th - Rasual Butler (60)
12th - Hilton Armstrong (57)
---------------------------------
IR 1 - Morris Peterson (55)

>> Transaction history

2008-09

Hornets sign Sonny Weems
Hornets sign Ersan Ilyasova
Hornets trade Julian Wright, 2nd round pick for Hakim Warrick
Hornets trade David West, Tyson Chandler for Josh Smith
Hornets trade Antonio Daniels, Melvin Ely, 2nd round pick for Samuel Dalembert, Royal Ivey

2009 Off-Season

Hornets draft Stephen Curry (#10 overall)
Hornets re-sign C.J Miles
Hornets sign Sonny Weems
Hornets sign Jamaal Tinsley
Hornets sign Shannon Brown

Last edited by Martti. on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Re: Rewriting History - 2008/09 New Orleans Hornets

Postby Kevin on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Martti., glad you're back! :applaud:
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Martti. on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:01 am

Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Martti. on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:17 am

So even though 2K15 is right around the corner and PC will have next gen, I really enjoy just simulating using old rosters and draft classes. I've created some amazing teams like that so i hope to do so with the Hornets as well.

It will be mostly simulation, just getting through seasons as seeing, how far I can take this team.

I started with the 76ers, now on season 2013/14, I have Stephen Curry, Paul George, Nicolas Batum, Chris Bosh, Anthony Davis, Jonas Valanciunas, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Chauncey Billups, Terrence Ross.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Martti. on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:56 am

Image Image

As 2008 comes to a close, the Hornets have struggled out of the gate. They are last in the Western Conference with a 10-24 record after a 4-12 December. They lost 8 of their last 9 games and the front office is looking for some changes.

Even though there's a deep draft coming up with the main prize being University of Oklahoma big man Blake Griffin, the Hornets planned to make the post-season. Even if you don't win the lottery, there are plenty of other top prospects, like James Harden, Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings and Tyreke Evans.

Chris Paul has been putting up great numbers, he's among the league leaders in steals and assists. David West has been putting up 18-8 nightly and new signings Ersan Ilyasova and Sonny Weems are both averaging 10 points per game.

The slight disappointment has been Tyson Chandler. Even though he averages 9.4 rebounds, he doesn't score as he used to. Last season, he averaged 11.8 points and 11.9 rebounds. This season, he averages just 5.5 points. Ilyasova is the only reliable scorer off the bench, as no one else averages over 5.3 points per game and only Devin Brown averages more then 3 points a game.

James Posey has been averaging a career high 14.3 points on the strength of his 3-point shooting. Posey has been setting records, as he's been averaging 10.7 attempts from deep with 3.4 makes. He is on pace to break Ray Allen's record for made threes of 269 and crush George McLoud's record of 678 attempts.

This year's rookie class? 10 guys averaging at least 17 points, 7 guys averaging 20+. Derrick Rose, the first pick, is one of the top candidates for MVP as his Bulls are a league-best 22-6. The ROY race is still wide open though, as there are plenty of other rookies putting up great numbers.

Talking of great numbers, what has Danny Granger been doing over the summer? He is leading the league in scoring, averaging nearly 40 points a game.

His recent 6-game hot stretch was out of this world. He scored at least 44 points in 4 out of 5 games, capped off with a 58-point outing against LeBron James and the Cavaliers.

LeBron's Cavaliers need to defend better, as just a week later, Kevin Martin scored 60 points against them.

The Heat have acquired legendary big man Dikembe Mutombo and PF Carl Landry from the Rockets to strengthen their front court, giving the Rockets their draft pick and Dorell Wright. The Warriors mean while have acquired Joe Johnson from the Hawks as Atlanta is looking to re-build and the way to start is to trade Johnson and his 125 million dollar contract

The Hornets made their first trade of the season, acquiring Hakim Warrick for Julian Wright and a future 2nd round pick.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Kevin on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:48 pm

:bowdown: Granger and Martin :bowdown2:
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Martti. on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:01 am

So, the big news around the league, is that the Hawks and Hornets have agreed on a deal to send Josh Smith to the Hornets in exchange for David West and Tyson Chandler. Chandler and West have been solid, but the Hornets weren't heading in a right direction.

West has been averaging 18.4 points and 7.8 rebounds while Chandler has posted 5.7 points and 9.3 rebounds.

Josh Smith is his fifth season and averaging career highs across the board. 24.8 points, 9.0 rebounds, 2.2 steals, 49.3 FG%, 38 3PT%, 75 FT% are all career highs. Smith is on his way to his first All-Star Game and is one of the leading candidates for defensive player of the year.

Smith didn't take long to fit in. He scored 17 points in first game and in just his third game with the team, he posted 34 points, 9 rebounds and 7 assists on 13-16 shooting. And the Hornets won 4 straight games after acquiring the high-flyer. But they are still 11 games under .500 at 19-30

New Orleans's new dynamic duo both made the All-Star team - Paul as a starter and Smith as a reserve. Paul scored 16 points in his 2nd All-Star game while Smith scored 4 points in his All-Star debut.

Posey's record breaking season has led to him agreeing to an extension. Right now, he's on pace to make 285 threes and around 835 attempts. Maybe Smith's acquisition will change the game-plan? Will wait and see.

Right at the deadline, the Hornets pulled off another deal with the 76ers. After going small for a few games, the Hornets needed some size after trading Tyson Chandler, so they acquired Samuel Dalembert from Philly. They gave up Antonio Daniels, Melvin Ely and a second round pick this year. The Hornets also received Royal Ivey in the deal.

Will this duo lead their squad to the Playoffs? Will this duo stick together as Chris Paul is headed for free agency?
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Lamrock on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:19 am

You and Josh Smith! Interesting idea - cool that there is a retro roster with draft classes available. One thing that bugs me about 2K14 is Chris Paul's awful cyberface (which I felt looked better in 2K6), but that's about as minor as gripes go.

Hopefully Brandon Roy and Greg Oden lead Portland to the title in one of these seasons!
Lamrock

Postby Martti. on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:04 am

It's gotta be Josh Smith. When he doesn't shoot threes, he can be pretty good. And it would be nice to see them make it far, a great what if story.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Irving9000 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:41 am

Personally i don't like the Josh Smith trade, you should have received also at least 2nd round pick, even if they were on last year of contract, but the idea of 2 man puch CP3-J.Smoove is great, maybe you need more scoring punch from the bench (more Peja ? :lol: )
Yeah also pls post pics with some other Paul cf, there are many great here :wink: the default one is the worst in the game along with Parsons default
Irving9000

Postby Martti. on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:21 am

Player Awards :

MVP - LeBron James (CLE)
33.3 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 6.0 APG, 2.2 SPG, 1.1 BPG, 49.8 FG%, 38.5 3PT%, 74.7 FT%
Record - 47-35

ROY - Derrick Rose (CHI)
25.2 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 5.8 APG, 1.2 SPG, 0.2 BPG, 47.4 FG%, 31.8 3PT%, 85.0 FT%
Record - 60-22

6th - Lamar Odom (LAL)
10.8 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 2.0 APG, 0.6 SPG, 0.7 BPG, 47.3 FG%, 44.9 3PT%, 71.7 FT%
Record - 54-28

DPOY - Josh Smith (NOH)
21.3 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 4.3 APG, 2.1 SPG, 1.7 BPG, 49.4 FG%, 38.6 3PT%, 73.8 FT%
Record - 37-45

MIP - Deron Williams (UTH)
19.6 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 7.9 APG, 1.6 SPG, 0.2 BPG, 46.5 FG%, 37.9 3PT%, 85.8 FT%
Record - 46-36

COY - Vinny Del Negro (CHI)
60-22, Div - 1, Conf - 1
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Martti. on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:34 am

Team Awards :

All-NBA 1st Team

C - Dwight Howard (ORL)
F - LeBron James (CLE)
F - Danny Granger (IND)
G - Dwyane Wade (MIA)
G - Chris Paul (NOH)

All-NBA 2nd Team

C - Al Jefferson (MIN)
F - Dirk Nowitzki (DAL)
F - Carmelo Anthony (DEN)
G - Stephen Jackson (ATL)
G - Kevin Martin (SAC)

All-NBA 3rd Team

C - Brook Lopez (NJ)
F - Amar'e Stoudemire (PHX)
F - Josh Smith (NOH)
G - Kobe Bryant (LAL)
G - Tony Parker (SAS)

All-Defensive 1st Team

C - Dwight Howard (ORL)
F - LeBron James (CLE)
F - Josh Smith (NOH)
G - Dwyane Wade (MIA)
G - Rajon Rondo (BOS)

All-Defensive 2nd Team

C - Joakim Noah (CHI)
F - Tyrus Thomas (CHI)
F - LaMarcus Aldridge (POR)
G - Brandon Rush (IND)
G - Jason Kidd (DAL)

All-Rookie 1st Team

G - Derrick Rose (CHI)
C - Brook Lopez (NJ)
F - Kevin Love (MIN)
G - Russell Westbrook (OKC)
G - Morris Almond (UTH)

All-Rookie 2nd Team

G - Eric Gordon (LAC)
F - Michael Beasley (MIA)
G - Bobby Brown (MIN)
F - Darrell Arthur (MEM)
C - Marc Gasol (MEM)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Martti. on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:48 am

The Hornets made a plethora of moves this season. Their goal wasn't clear - they started the season really poor and had Chris Paul's, Tyson Chandler's and David West's contacts all expire. A rebuild looked inevitable. Instead, they traded their starting front court for Josh Smith, continued the rest of the season at around the .500 mark in the tough Western Conference.

In the end, they finished 37-45, fourth in the Southwest division and 12th in the West. Chris Paul and Josh Smith had spectacular seasons. Chris Paul was an All-Star starter and an All-NBA first team member. Josh Smith was a first time All-Star, All-NBA third team member and All-Defensive first team member after winning the Defensive Player of the Year award.

James Posy set two NBA records - he made 300 three-pointers. That's spectacular and well done to him, but maybe this was the reason for the poor result from these Hornets - it took him 909 attempts. That's just 33%, not exactly what you expect from an elite shooter. Even Josh Smith shot 38%. But Posey had the green light all season. Danny Granger, who led the league in scoring with 34 points a game, made 288 threes on 685 attempts (42%).

Rebounding Champion - Joakim Noah (12.6)
Assists Champion - Jason Kidd (10.3)
Steals Champion - Devin Harris (2.5)
Blocks Champion - Andrew Bogut (2.1)

The Cavaliers and the Lakers reached the Finals. The Lakers are looking to redeem themselves after losing last year to the Celtics and LeBron James is chasing his first ring in his second Finals appearance.

This year's MVP and last year's MVP faced off, the match-up was long anticipated and the two didn't disappoint. LeBron averaged 40 points, 8.6 rebounds, 6.0 assists, 2 steals and 1.6 blocks. But he will be held accountable for the loss as his Cavaliers were up 3-1 but lost the series in 7 games.

Kobe Bryant won his first Finals MVP and his fourth championship in total after averaging 28.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 3.7 shooting while shooting 50% from the field.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Martti. on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 am

* The Hornets entered the off-season with a 1.1% chance to win the lottery, the tenth best odds and that's exactly where they would be picking. The Bucks won the first pick having the second best odds to win. The Kings will pick #2, the Rockets are at #3 and the Warriors will pick fourth.

* Chris Paul declined his 18.09M player option to become an unrestricted free agent and said that he will seek his worth on the open market. The 2-time All-Star will have plenty of suitors after a successful individual season.

*The Hornets extended the qualifying offer for Ersan Ilyasova, making him a restricted free agent. He would also explore free agency, as would Devin Brown, Sonny Weems and Peja Stojakovic.

* Samuel Dalembert agreed to re-sign with the team on a 1 year, 2.11M deal.

* Holding the tenth pick, the Hornets were surprised how many players were still on the table - James Harden, Brandon Jennings, Stephen Curry, DeMar DeRozan and Ty Lawson to name a few.

The draft board so far -

1. Blake Griffin (Milwaukee)
2. Tyreke Evans (Sacramento)
3. DeJuan Blair (Houston)
4. Terrence Williams (Golden State)
5. Tyler Hansbrough (Washington)
6. Daniel Green (Toronto)
7. Chase Budinger (Detroit)
8. Jordan Hill (New Jersey)
9. Ricky Rubio (New York)

The Hornets decided to pick Stephen Curry from Davidson.

Other notable picks -

12. Taj Gibson (Denver)
14. James Harden (Memphis)
15. DeMar DeRozan (Houston)
18. Brandon Jennings (Charlotte)
31. Ty Lawson (Sacramento)
32. Darren Collison (Golden State)
34. Jrue Holiday (Portland)

* The Hornets had over 39M in cap space as Chris Paul ha become a free agent and they traded the contracts of David West and Tyson Chandler last season. Picking Stephen Curry looks to be a new start for the Hornets as Paul hasn't shown interest in returning to the team.

*On the first day of free agency, the Hornets offered CJ Miles a 1 year deal worth 2.07M. They also offered Eric Gordon a 3-year deal worth around 25M that includes a fourth year player option for 9M. They also offered last year's starter Sonny Weems a 2-year deal worth 3.1M.

*Eric Gordon announced that he would remain with the Clippers so the Hornets decided to offer deals to Shannon Brown and Jamaal Tinsley. CJ Miles and Sonny Weems accepted their deals early on, Shannon Brown and Jamaal Tinsley accepted their deals as well.

*Chris Paul announced that he will be taking his talents to South Beach, joining Dwyane Wade in Miami. Kevin Garnett has signed with the Grizzlies and Chauncey Billups will join Golden State.

* The following players were sent to camps :

Hakim Warrick - Big Man Offense
Stephen Curry - Perimeter Defense
Josh Smith - Rebounding
Sonny Weems - Perimeter Shooting
CJ Miles - Athleticism

* The starting 5 for the 2009/10 Hornets :

C - Samuel Dalembert (71)
F - Josh Smith (88)
F - C.J. Miles (70)
G - Shannon Brown (77)
G - Stephen Curry (81)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Valor on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:01 am

You're back!! Very intriguing idea here man, defs gonna check in every now and then! Who knows, I might even return as a regular on the forums due to this :P
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks for checking in, it sure is dead around here. Hopefully with Next Gen 2K15 on PC this section will pick up and some older members return.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Valor on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Martti. wrote:Thanks for checking in, it sure is dead around here. Hopefully with Next Gen 2K15 on PC this section will pick up and some older members return.

Yeah mean this sections been pretty dead this year...personally if I was to return and perhaps make a new thread I would be waiting to see just what 2K15 has to offer first, which I think a lot of us older members are doing (if we have time after dealing with RL stuff) (Y)

Anyhow, good stuff mate!
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:57 am

Okay, so 2K15 is too much for my laptop, can only play it decently on medium settings with low resolution and it still crashes sometimes for no reason, even though my specs are decent (8 gb ram, 2 gb graphics, win 8). So I'll continue doing this while I can.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Kevin on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Martti. wrote:Okay, so 2K15 is too much for my laptop, can only play it decently on medium settings with low resolution and it still crashes sometimes for no reason, even though my specs are decent (8 gb ram, 2 gb graphics, win 8). So I'll continue doing this while I can.
YEY! :applaud:
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Valor on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:23 am

Martti. wrote:Okay, so 2K15 is too much for my laptop, can only play it decently on medium settings with low resolution and it still crashes sometimes for no reason, even though my specs are decent (8 gb ram, 2 gb graphics, win 8). So I'll continue doing this while I can.

Exactly the case for me....game's just to buggy and isn't compatible with a lot of computers that supposedly meet the requirements :facepalm2: Until it gets fixed no 2K15 for me lol

Keep it up with this one! :applaud:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:53 am

The Hornets lost their best player and one of the best point guards in the league - Chris Paul - in the off-season and didn't make a big splash in free agency, Shannon Brown and CJ Miles being the best players signed.

Despite that, the Hornets finished November at 12-6, leading the Western Conference. Behind the success have been Josh Smith and rookie Stephen Curry. Curry leads all rookies in assists and steals and is third in scoring.

Smith has been averaging 20.2 points, 9.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 1.7 blocks. Curry has been averaging 16.8 points, 8.1 assists and 2.4 steals. Off-season signings have been productive as well - Shannon Brown has been averaging 14.9 points and CJ Miles has averaged 11.2 points.

#1 overall pick Blake Griffin has led the Bucks to a 9-7 record averaging 23.8 points and 9.3 rebounds. 42nd overall pick Patty Mills from Australia has been the Nuggets starting PG and is averaging 20.9 points and 4.9 assists.

Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade have led the Heat to a 12-4 mark to lead the Eastern Conference, followed by the Bulls and the Cavaliers. The Suns and the Jazz follow the Hornets on top of the West. The defensing champions LA Lakers are 6th in the West at 9-6, trailing even the Clippers.

Carmelo Anthony has been leading the league in scoring at 34.1, Danny Granger is second (29.1) and Dwight Howard is third (28.9).

Will Stephen Curry be the next great shooter? In his NBA debut against Ray Allen, he made just 1-8 from deep.

CJ Miles has displayed his athleticism on numerous occasions, including this block.

LeBron and Josh Smith are both in the running for MVP.

Shannon Brown, Miles and Smith have made it easy for Stephen Curry to get assists, as they've been dunking on everyone and catching lob after lob.

Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Kevin on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 am

Smith running for MVP :applaud:
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby White Chocolate on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:59 am

Great Association! I like your roster, and presentation is very good. Also retro association with alternative issues is always interesting for me! I follow it.
- aka Bask -
White Chocolate

Postby Martti. on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:50 am

The Hornets started the season off hot, but December saw them fall off a bit. They won the first games of the month, leading the league at 16-6, but that was followed by a 9 game losing streak. They finished the month with 3 straight wins.

The most anticipated game was definitely against Miami as Chris Paul was facing his former team for the first time. The battle between Stephen Curry and Chris Paul was in the spotlight, but it was their teammates who stole the show.

The Heat came out victorious 115-112. Michael Beasley led the Heat with 30 points and 8 rebounds, Dwyane Wade added 28 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists and Carl Landry had 18 points and 14 rebounds. Josh Smith had 26 for the Hornets, Shannon Brown added 18 and Ersan Ilyasova had 15 off the bench.

Steph Curry had 13 points and 8 assists, but missed the potential game-tying jumper at the buzzer. Chris Paul had 11 points and 9 assists.

The Hornets now stand at 19-15, good for seventh in the West, 3 games behind the conference leading Lakers. The Heat meanwhile stand at 21-10, tied with the Bulls for the best record in the East and also the league.

Curry is third among rookies in scoring (17.8), first in assists (7.6) and steals (2.1). Blake Griffin of the Bucks still leads all rookies in scoring and rebounding (22.8; 9.7).

Josh Smith leads the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks (20.7 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1,7 bpg). Shannon Brown is still enjoying a solid season, averaging 13.9 points. Ersan Ilyasova and Hakim Warrick lead the bench mob, both averaging double-digits in points.

League leaders :

PPG : Carmelo Anthony (DEN) - 31.7 / (#29) Josh Smith - 20.7
RPG : Joakim Noah (CHI) - 12.6 / (#31) Josh Smith - 8.8
APG : Jason Kidd (DAL) - 11.3 / (#8) Stephen Curry - 7.6
SPG : Stephen Jackson (ATL) - 3.0 / (#13) Stephen Curry - 2.1
BPG : Brook Lopez (NJN) - 2.4 / (#11) Josh Smith - 1.7

Standings :

1. LA Lakers (20-10)
2. Memphis (21-12)
3. Portland (20-12)
4. LA Clippers (19-12)
5. San Antonio (18-13)
6. Utah (17-13)
7. New Orleans (19-15)
8. Minnesota (14-16)

------------------------

1. Chicago (21-10)
2. Miami (21-10)
3. Cleveland (16-13)
4. Boston (16-14)
5. Atlanta (17-15)
6. Orlando (17-15)
7. Milwaukee (16-15)
8. Indiana (15-15)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Martti. on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:42 am

I wrote a long post in the How is your Assocation doing thread, check it out and let me know what you think. This idea isn't as exciting for me as I thought.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood