Chat with NBA Live 15 EP Sean O'Brien in Episode #90 of the NLSC Podcast

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

Chat with NBA Live 15 EP Sean O'Brien in Episode #90 of the NLSC Podcast

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:55 am

Just a heads up, we recorded an interview with NBA Live 15 Executive Producer Sean O'Brien last week, which we'll be posting this Wednesday as Episode #90 of the NLSC Podcast. We've got some really great info to share, so be sure to tune in!

I'll be posting the link once it goes live, but for those who are unaware, you can find all our episodes here:
http://www.nba-live.com/category/podcast/

Update: It's out now!
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-ep ... interview/

Episode #90 (August 13th, 2014)

Hosts: Andrew & JaoSming
Special Guest: Sean O'Brien

We're pleased to present a special episode of the NLSC Podcast this week, as JaoSming and I had the opportunity to chat with NBA Live 15 Executive Producer, Sean O'Brien. Sean very kindly gave us a little over two hours of his time, in which he spoke very honestly about the return of the series with NBA Live 14, the team's goals with future releases, and of course, some of the things that we can expect in NBA Live 15.

On that note, Sean gave us a lot of great info on this year's game, including details on controls and responsiveness, physics, locomotion and animation quality, AI improvements, and enhancements to the shooting mechanics. Sean also clarified a few points about the future of game modes such as Dynasty and Rising Star, while also answering our questions about this year's practice facilities, content updates, and even the possibility of NBA Live 14 getting further roster updates before NBA Live 15 comes out.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, so don't delay any longer: click here to listen to the show!

A huge thanks to Sean once again for coming on the Podcast! As always, we welcome your thoughts on this week's show.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Chat with NBA Live 15 EP Sean O'Brien in Episode #90 of the NLSC Podcast

Postby 22cedric on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:15 pm

I trust Sean O' Brien @seanobs because he's straight forward, upfront, and humble
22cedric

Postby JaoSming on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:22 pm

you have noooo idea. It was quite the experience doing this episode.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JBulls on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 pm

First one I'll probably listen to.
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:01 pm

JBulls wrote:First one I'll probably listen to.

Hey, they're all fun shows. :(

But yeah, this is obviously a big episode for us, as it is anytime we're able to have a developer on as a special guest, so we hope folks are willing to check it out and enjoy the insight.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:25 pm

Teaser video:

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Just to update, we'll be posting the show in about 10 hours from now.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:43 pm

Update: It's out now!
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-ep ... interview/

Episode #90 (August 13th, 2014)

Hosts: Andrew & JaoSming
Special Guest: Sean O'Brien

We're pleased to present a special episode of the NLSC Podcast this week, as JaoSming and I had the opportunity to chat with NBA Live 15 Executive Producer, Sean O'Brien. Sean very kindly gave us a little over two hours of his time, in which he spoke very honestly about the return of the series with NBA Live 14, the team's goals with future releases, and of course, some of the things that we can expect in NBA Live 15.

On that note, Sean gave us a lot of great info on this year's game, including details on controls and responsiveness, physics, locomotion and animation quality, AI improvements, and enhancements to the shooting mechanics. Sean also clarified a few points about the future of game modes such as Dynasty and Rising Star, while also answering our questions about this year's practice facilities, content updates, and even the possibility of NBA Live 14 getting further roster updates before NBA Live 15 comes out.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, so don't delay any longer: click here to listen to the show!

A huge thanks to Sean once again for coming on the Podcast! As always, we welcome your thoughts on this week's show.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Haval93 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 am

Here is my recap! Some spelling errors.

NBA Live 14 Information:

Sean O'Brien has Worked on EA Basketball Series for many years. Both College and NBA. Around 15 years of experience working on Basketball.
Very Difficult year working on Live 14. Frustration from the NBA Live Team after release, but determined to show that they can get it done with Live 15.
Comparisons to OKC, see their team with the right pieces going forward. Rough start(NBA LIVE 14) at the beginning to hopeful championship contender in the future.
NBA Live 14 used many Live 13 assets(Very Bad). Basically had to build the game from scratch.
Excited For Future and how Live 14 retail and Live 14 post-patch and content were much different games and shows the commitment to improving the series.
Communication Team has been more transparent and willingly to listen to fans about why "Live sucks".
More community interaction and feedback. Building the game for the fans.
(Live 14) Game was not in development for four years. 11 Month Development Cycle for Live 14.
Live 13 was not built of Elite 11. Started with a new base again. Some new technology based on Live 13 regarding making development quicker and easier to add content. Adding visual and game play fixes without having to do a submission to Sony or Microsoft.
No onboarding last year hurt the game. As well as visuals. First impression of no onboarding with the game and visual not up to par with 2k14 hurt the inital release.
Keeping their promises to make the game better.
Couldn't update graphics to much 2K14 because they needed time to set-up rigging for facial scans and new lighting system.
Live 14 was a 4 out 10 in graphics and sees Live 15 as a 9 out of 10 regarding graphics.
Making sure NBA Live has it's own identity and focus on how to bring fans their own NBA experience.
Shout out to OS member for showing Lebron on Cavs with 23 number. That was WTF if I'm not mistaken.
Timing is a challenge for updating the roster for Live 14. Examples like 76ers and Lakers, rosters where either full or only 6 players.
Will be another Roster Update for Live 14.

NBA Live 15 Information:
Updated podcast with Jalen Rose. Trying to make it more like a grantland podcast.
Mick will once again build the soundtrack for the game.
They didn't updated the songs for Live 14 because of budget. Spent all money on music lisencing in begining rather throughout the year. Something they want to improve on and want to add songs throughout the year.
Enchanced Commentary with Jeff and Mike. Making them flow better and talk about real life events such as trades.
Update the Ultimate Team mode. Auction House now present. More like FIFA.
Focus on great looking and great playing game. As well making sure onboarding is there.
Fixed the backbones of both Rising Stars and Dyansty Mode.
Technologly is not there yet for sliders, local saves, and more customization options. Live 16 will be about giving users a ton more customzation options.
Making sure base is solid for future investments and making sure game plays wells before investing in new features like Online Team Play.
Making sure the prioity is game play and delivering on that. Users will be more forgiving if game play is much better.
Improved BounceTek: Making sure it's responsive and improving it.
Rag-Doll Physics(OMG Moment): Physics taking into account around the shooter or the area of the shooter. Everything around the basket. Mid-Air collions look and feel great. No clipping. If you miss block and hit the defender you will see the result rather than clipping through player or ball. Really cool collions happening.
Live 15 will have a FREE hand-ons trial for both Xbox One and PS4. Sony doesn't allow for trials unlike Microsoft. You can play the Full game for a limited time for FREE. Saves and Stats will carry over if you buy the game.
Really want everybody to try the game.
Backboard alley-oops happen but aren't user controlled by a button press. Just happened at times.
No legends outside of Ultimate Team. Look for more legends moving forward (Live 16).
Lot of time making sure body types are accurate. Wingspans are very hard to do because of animations and so forth.
Making sure they stay honest about the game and making sure the game is better. Making sure that they listen to fans.
Live 16 and beyond look for more game mode improvements such as dynasty and rising stars. Don't want to copy 2K with myPlayer with cinematics.
Improved Sim Engine.
Question regarding editing numbers for players in Dynasty. Was not answered.
No Fiba and D-League Teams is this year. Maybe in the future.
No PC version. Might not be one for a while.
Procedural locomotion system. Added more contextual animations.
Much better animations and much smoother.
No more rocket-dunks and slowed dunk animations.
Completely redid the gathering system. Live 13 separated footwork from animation, it caused rocket dunks and slowed down lay-ups. It had no momentum.
They fixed this system by preserving animation data, so actual foot planting and gather as in the animation will not be change. This will result will equal so much nicer and smoother animations.
This also allowing smoother shooter and all aspects of animations.
Added visual feedback to shooting this year to tell you how you shot and gives feedback. Also indicator to show how well a shooter is at the shot.
Smoothest NBA Live ever! Players will be more aware this year. Giving users much more control.
Animation selection is much better.
Passing and dribbling feels really good.
No shooting on right stick.
Left stick is physics based dribbling and basic movement. Contextual animations to switch and such.
Right stick dribbling is back.
Right Stick passing is back. Live 10 system if I'm not mistaken.
They added more than 400 new dunk animations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure they are more than 400.
Shots around the basket has been much improved. No ugly shovel or push shots like in the past. Much better animation selection and quality. Looked at NBA 2K for this aspect which does this really well.
Much more crisp passing, shorter animations.
Brought back size-ups from Live 10!!!!!!! Signature Dribble will also be based on right stick also. So left stick dribbling for basic movement and dribbling, right stick for signature dribbling, and most likely holding a trigger to activate signature size-ups.
No in game injuries this year.
End of game logic is bit better.
Contextual put-backs only. Not user controlled. Game/Animation will decide whether appropriate.
New camera angle for practice mode.
On-boarding will start as you install game.
Added Motion button. Like NCAA 10.

Random Info:
Community Event coming soon? No idea about this.
Tidbit: Andrew is a Simpson fan.
Haval93

Postby mortiis on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:29 am

''No in game injuries this year. ''

wtf? so player can't get injured in a game? what is this :crazyeyes:
mortiis

Postby JBulls on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:31 am

mortiis wrote:wtf? so player can't get injured in a game? what is this :crazyeyes:

OMG this post for some reason made me laugh so hard, just had to say. :D
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:47 am

In the cards for future games, though. Overall, it sounds like they're focusing on the right areas of gameplay.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:48 am

Have more of this so that more exposure for NLSC!
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby syncere on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 am

Should be epic, Live has this edge to it, Sean has me hyped for this game!!!
syncere

Postby HoosierDaddy on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Great interview today, guys!

Excited to see what Live can do this year and in the future.
HoosierDaddy

Postby Arcane on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 pm

I have been excited by this interview ever since I listened to it the other day and I can tell you that Jao and Andrew were both all giddy like schoolgirls after conducting it I spoke with them afterwards and I could tell by how they were that this was going to be Big.

You guys did a really great job and Sean was so open honest and engaging which we are grateful for. I was only expecting 30-60 minutes of his time but when I was told it was over 2 hours I was stunned. Again guys so proud and happy for you. #ProudNLSCer
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:58 pm

Really glad that so many people have been tuning in to the show and enjoying the interview. As Arcane mentioned, JaoSming and I were very happy with the way it turned out, and liked what we heard about NBA Live 15.

We're going to compile all the important points from our interview in a piece we'll be publishing next week, but in the meantime, I covered a few highlights in this week's Friday Five:
The Friday Five: 5 Best Things We Know About NBA Live 15 So Far
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby The X on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:53 am

Was a great podcasts guys. You've all gotten so much better at them since they started yonks ago.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby kingpnp on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:12 pm

i 2nd that ^^^it was a great podcast. answered a lot of questions.
kingpnp

Return to NBA Live 15