The Friday Five: 5 Limitations With A Sensible Explanation

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things I Want To See In NBA Live 15

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:03 pm

February 21st, 2014: 5 Things I Want To See In NBA Live 15

As you may have heard in our chat with NBA Live 14 Gameplay Designer Scott O’Gallagher, the NBA Live development team at EA Tiburon is eager to get our feedback on the current game and the official patch, as well as our ideas and suggestions for NBA Live 15. As such, we’ll be compiling our NBA Live 15 Wishlist very soon.

I’ll be going into more detail when I create our official NBA Live 15 Wishlist thread in the NLSC Forum, but since Scott and the rest of the developers are interested in hearing each of our top five to ten suggestions for the game, I thought I’d use this week’s Friday Five to get the ball rolling and briefly talk about some improvements for the next NBA Live. Without any further ado, here are five things I want to see in NBA Live 15.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Best Things in NBA Live 14’s Dynasty

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:54 pm

February 28th, 2014: 5 Best Things in NBA Live 14’s Dynasty Mode

As I’ve mentioned several times before, I’m a huge fan of Dynasty Mode, as it’s been my game mode of choice in NBA Live since it was implemented as Franchise Mode way back in NBA Live 2000. Before the game came out last year, I talked about the things that I wanted to see in NBA Live 14’s Dynasty Mode, though I did temper my expectations somewhat as I knew there was much to focus on as the development team looked to relaunch the series.

As it turns out however, I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised by what Dynasty Mode has on offer in NBA Live 14. While there are still improvements to be made, features to be added and elements to be tweaked, the mode has returned fairly well-rounded and with some pleasing additions. As such, this week I’m listing the five best things in NBA Live 14’s Dynasty Mode.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Friday Five: My Top 5 BIG Moments in NBA Live 14 (So Far

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 pm

March 7th, 2014: My Top 5 BIG Moments in NBA Live 14 (So Far)

One of my favourite features in NBA Live 14 is LIVE Season’s BIG Moments. For the uninitiated, BIG Moments allows you to replay significant moments from the 2013/2014 NBA season, ranging from just a few seconds to an entire half of gameplay. As gamewinning shots and memorable performances occur in real life, we see them appear as challenges in NBA Live 14.

As I noted on the NLSC’s Facebook and Twitter, Gerald Green’s career game in the Phoenix Suns’ big win over the Oklahoma City Thunder yesterday seems like a good candidate to appear as a BIG Moment in NBA Live 14. That got me thinking about some of my favourite BIG Moments thus far, which ultimately resulted in a countdown for this week’s Friday Five. So, without any further ado, here are my Top 5 BIG Moments in NBA Live 14…at least to this point.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Tips for Patchers

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:36 pm

March 14th, 2014: 5 Tips for Patchers

Earlier in the week, JaoSming spent some time updating and spotlighting our many patching resources. Given an opportunity to keep a theme running through our features this week – the latest Top 10 Plays and Podcast also exhibit and discuss patching respectively – I thought that for this week’s Friday Five, I’d offer a few general tips on patching, mostly for people who are looking to get started.

For as long as the NLSC has been around, our community has been making patches for NBA Live and in more recent years, NBA 2K as well. We have a talented and resourceful patching community that helps one another through detailed tutorials and general advice, but for those just getting into patching, it can be difficult to know where to begin. Hopefully, these five tips will give you an idea of what’s required and how to start out on the right foot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Reasons We Compile Wishlists

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:08 am

March 21st, 2014: 5 Reasons We Compile Wishlists

It’s Wishlist Season again here at the NLSC! As you may have already seen, we’ve started compiling our Wishlist for NBA Live 15 and in this week’s Tuesday Triple, JaoSming outlined some of the things that he wants to see in NBA Live 15 and NBA 2K15 alike.

Of course, the concept of the Wishlist does invite some scepticism, as a contingent of basketball gamers are unsure that it’s worth all the effort, or that it will make any difference to the upcoming games. I take a far more optimistic point of view however and see the Wishlists as an important undertaking for our community, to help improve the games that we’re so passionate about. As such, this week’s Friday Five highlights the importance of our Wishlists, as I take a look at five reasons why we compile them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Unstoppable Moves in Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:54 pm

March 28th, 2014: 5 Unstoppable Moves in Basketball Video Games

As basketball video games have evolved and become more advanced, we basketball gamers have had to hone our skills and develop new strategies to enjoy continued success on the virtual hardwood. What worked so well in early basketball games usually isn’t as effective now that developers have more sophisticated technology in terms of artificial intelligence, player physics, and so on.

However, one constant throughout the years is that there’s usually a move or two in every basketball game that is very difficult to guard against and can usually be readily exploited when you absolutely need to score. This week, I’m taking a look at what I feel are five of the most unstoppable moves in basketball video games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Best Power-ups in Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:48 pm

April 4th, 2014: 5 Best Power-ups in Basketball Video Games

Since I’ve previously looked at some of the most unstoppable moves in basketball video games, this week I thought I’d take a look at some of the best power-ups that we’ve seen in virtual hoops. Generally speaking, power-ups are probably not a concept that most people associate with basketball video games. However, they do have a presence in the genre, mostly in arcade-oriented titles but also in more subdued forms in certain sim releases.

As I’ve mentioned before, while I want to get a sim experience out of the NBA Live and NBA 2K series, I also enjoy arcade style basketball games for a change of pace. Having some fun and crazy power-ups certainly adds to the arcade experience, and special abilities in general make games more interesting and varied. So, without any further ado, here are my picks for the five best power-ups in basketball video games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Best Mini-Games in Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 pm

April 11th, 2014: 5 Best Mini-Games in Basketball Video Games

If you’ve listened to some of the recent episodes of the NLSC Podcast, you may recall us talking about mini-games and how they helped create well-rounded basketball video games, with a variety of experiences on offer. If nothing else, they provided us with something to play when we didn’t feel like diving into a full length game, or we just had a few minutes to kill.

It remains to be seen whether that kind of content will make its way back into the NBA Live and NBA 2K series, though you’ll certainly find mention of it in our Wishlists. In the meantime, we can reflect on some of the most enjoyable bonus experiences in previous releases, which is what I’m doing this week as I list what I feel are the five best mini-games in basketball video games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:08 am

I wish they had some of the fun mini games from jam 2010 in ofe
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:36 am

Agreed. As much as I like OFE and feel it has the best campaign mode of any arcade basketball game, I do miss Backboard Smash.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 More Tips for Patchers

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:23 am

April 18th, 2014: 5 More Tips for Patchers

A few weeks back, I provided five tips for patchers that were mostly aimed at people who were just getting started in the patching scene. This week, I thought I’d offer five more tips for patchers, with a focus on what to do after you’ve mastered the basics and are getting more comfortable patching the games.

These are fairly general tips regarding our patching community and culture, so if you’re looking for information on how to create a specific patch, please consult the appropriate tutorial. However, I do have a couple of things to say about developing good patching habits and being a productive member of our patching community, so please read on for five more tips for NBA Live and NBA 2K patchers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: Top 5 Arcade Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:04 pm

April 25th, 2014: Top 5 Arcade Basketball Games

While we generally deal with sim oriented basketball video games in our community, several of us are also fans of the arcade style games. As I’ve said several times before, I’m an NBA Jam fan from way back in the day, and I still like the idea of having arcade basketball games as a change of pace from five-on-five simulation fare. Sometimes, you just feel like a quick game with somersault dunks from the rafters.

This week, I’m counting down my Top 5 arcade basketball games. It’s a slightly easier list to compile than the Top 5 simulation basketball games, as arcade basketball games tend not to have annual releases, thus there are fewer of them and it’s easier to pick out the best five from the cream of the crop. I might try to tackle the Top 5 sim titles in a future Five, but for now, here are my picks for the Top 5 arcade basketball games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Boo this man! Where is Street Vol. 2?? :lol:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:52 pm

I skipped Vol. 2 and V3 so they don't make my personal list, but I always hear good things so I'll allow an honourable mention. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Reasons I Want Another NBA Jam Game

Postby Andrew on Sat May 03, 2014 12:07 am

May 2nd, 2014: 5 Reasons I Want Another NBA Jam Game

As JaoSming noted in the Tuesday Triple, it’s been a while since an arcade basketball title was released. A little while ago, we were teased by the prospect of a new NBA Jam on the game’s official Twitter page, by way of an “unauthorised” Tweet that has since been deleted. While EA Sports currently has no announcements regarding the future of the NBA Jam series, I’m hoping that we will indeed see a new NBA Jam game sooner rather than later.

The overarching reason of course is that I’m a big fan of NBA Jam from way back in the day and as long as I’m gaming, I’m interested in seeing new releases from my favourite series (incidentally, I’m still waiting on that Fallout 4 announcement, Bethesda). I do have a few specific thoughts on the matter though, so without any further ado, here are five reasons why I want another NBA Jam game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Random Basketball Video Game Facts

Postby Andrew on Sat May 10, 2014 11:25 am

May 9th, 2014: 5 Random Basketball Video Game Facts

Now that JaoSming has changed the focus of Dumb Mondays from random trivia to a random assortment of facts, opinions and discussion topics, I don’t feel quite as guilty about borrowing the original concept for a Friday Five topic. This week, I’m trying my hand at serving up some trivia about a few of my all-time favourite basketball video games.

Basically, this is a collection of facts and trivia that I’ve wanted to talk about, but haven’t been able to work into any of my Friday Fives so far. Chances are I’ll revisit them if the right topics present themselves, but just in case I don’t find a way to bring them up again, here are 5 Random Basketball Video Game Facts that I hope you’ll enjoy reading about.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: My Answers to 5 NBA Questions

Postby Andrew on Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 pm

May 16th, 2014: My Answers to 5 NBA Questions

More often than not, I’m writing about basketball video games in the Friday Five, which only stands to reason; the NLSC is a website dedicated to basketball gaming, after all. However, I like to write about the real NBA as well, and I haven’t done that for a few weeks now. As such, I figured it was about time for another NBA related article.

For this week’s Five, I’ve decided to take five topics related to the NBA that I’ve been thinking about recently, and pose them as questions. For each question, I’ve provided a short answer, along with a few of my thoughts on the matter. So, without any further ado, here are My Answers to 5 NBA Questions.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Non-Sim Elements in Sim Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Sat May 24, 2014 2:03 am

May 23rd, 2014: 5 Non-Sim Elements in Sim Basketball Games

After offering up a few opinions on the real NBA in last week’s edition of the Friday Five, this week I’m back to talking about basketball video games. Being a basketball gamer that prefers to see a healthy amount of realism in the annual titles, I thought I’d reflect on some of the non-sim elements that have found their way into sim basketball games over the years.

For the sim-oriented gamer, these elements can range from pet peeves and minor irritations to major distractions and issues that can severely affect one’s enjoyment of a game. However, as you’ll find out, at least one of the items on this list isn’t such an unwelcome idea. Without any further ado, here are 5 Non-Sim Elements in Sim Basketball Games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: My 5 Favourite Basketball Video Game Commercials

Postby Andrew on Sat May 31, 2014 2:33 am

May 30th, 2014: My 5 Favourite Basketball Video Game Commercials

I’m going with a lighter topic for The Friday Five this week, as I list my top five favourite basketball video game commercials. No doubt I’ll be back to covering topics with a little more substance sooner rather than later, but I thought it would be fun to take a look back at some memorable advertisements for NBA Live, NBA 2K and NBA Jam that got us talking about the games, or at the very least were entertaining to watch.

Just to clarify before I begin the countdown, I’m picking commercials and promotional spots here, as opposed to pure gameplay trailers. Including both in the one countdown would make for a long list and some very difficult choices, so picking my five favourite gameplay trailers is a topic for another day. With that said, here are my 5 Favourite Basketball Video Game Commercials!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat May 31, 2014 2:48 am

:turrible:

Not actually turrible, but there are a lot of missing commercials here. Tuesday Triple will be in response.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat May 31, 2014 11:09 am

Well, they are my favourites, not an objective list of the best. ;) Looking forward to the response, though!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 More Basketball Games You May Have Forgotten

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:10 pm

June 6th, 2014: 5 More Basketball Games You May Have Forgotten

The NLSC was founded as a fansite for NBA Live, a series that we still cover to this day. In recent years, we’ve also expanded our coverage to the NBA 2K series, as well as NBA Jam (primarily the recent releases from EA Sports). However, there have been several other NBA and basketball video games released over the years, some of which I covered in a previous Friday Five.

This week, I’m taking a look at five more basketball video games that you may have forgotten, or indeed never knew about. If nothing else, they haven’t been talked about in a while, so let’s go back through basketball gaming history and reflect on some titles that aren’t quite as well-known or popular as NBA Live, NBA 2K, or NBA Jam, but are interesting to look back on nevertheless.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:34 am

I had double dribble on nes and the free throws were really hard to make. I also had action 98 as I was a Kobe fan and huge chick Hearn fan growing up in LA. Gameplay was okay, obviously commentary was great but the most frustrating part about the game was the lack of roster changes you could make. Also you couldn't manually change a player's number so duplicate numbers would be bumped up by 1.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:27 am

There's a roster editor for Action '98. And someone attempted some graphic patches.

It also came out on the PS1 under the name NBA Fastbreak '98.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Qballer wrote:I had double dribble on nes and the free throws were really hard to make.

lol u suck Q.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard