Update is out on PS4/X1

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Update is out on PS4/X1

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 am

Details:
http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-u ... 22630365=1

Will be back with impressions
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Update is out on PS4

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:06 am

No doubt. Post some vids too I'm at work lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:31 am

Just played a quarter and realized while playing in practice mode that the dribble moves and player motion are actually separated. I didn't notice that before, meaning you input your dribble moves wait for them to finish and then proceed to go left or right to beat the defender lol... There's none of that real life momentum carrying you from a dribble move into a blow by , you do your dribble looks good then wait for animation to finish and turbo past your guy.... Well at least dribble animations are nice....

Lighting is slightly better, players still have that eerie glow on their heads
Player movement on court is smoother
Passing a little bit more realistic now

Still same slingshot physics everything from layups, shots to passes to most animations and dunks... This is what makes the game feel like an arcade piece of shit...
Also now on baseline low/high cameras the game now consistently runs at 30 fps, so on this next gen hardware they couldn't get this NON graphically intense game to work at a solid 60fps, that makes me giggle the most

This game has everything you could possibly want in a ball simulation minus the gameplay and graphics
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:33 am

Playing now. There's really not much noticeably fixed or changed at all.

Passing maybe feels a bit smoother, quicker.

None of the AI bugs or flaws are fixed. Same post up and spin exploit. Same 100 blocks a game.

Will need to play more but underwhelming to say the least.

Visually, I'm going to have to go through my heap of old pics and take similar one's now to compare, because in-game looks identical.
Phreak50

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:36 am

unfortunately I dont really have the time to do any videos or even really clips, sorry man

lighting is much better. Its not like a whole new game, but it at least looks good
shootaround is a big disappointment, nothing like the videos. Its like the E3 demo, 1 player (choose when loading the mode) and you cant choose other players. 1 camera low and behind the player, and no defenders for the post or any other situations. Same load time as normal modes, so there really is no good point to it IMO.
Shooting seemed easier
passing is faster, but not where it needs to be IMO.
game seemed a bit slower, but definitely smoother.

Played about 1 quarter then tried loading UT and crashed, so there's that.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby spursthebest on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:39 am

What throwback jerseys did they add
spursthebest

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:41 am

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:Just played a quarter and realized while playing in practice mode that the dribble moves and player motion are actually separated. I didn't notice that before, meaning you input your dribble moves wait for them to finish and then proceed to go left or right to beat the defender lol... There's none of that real life momentum carrying you from a dribble move into a blow by ,

Also now on baseline low/high cameras the game now consistently runs at 30 fps, so on this next gen hardware they couldn't get this NON graphically intense game to work at a solid 60fps, that makes me giggle the most

This game has everything you could possibly want in a ball simulation minus the gameplay and graphics

I disagree with the motion/momentum comment. Since launch, you've always been able to use momentum and drive either side of a defender, or to get separation for a jumper. Not sure what game you are playing.

I do agree with the frame rate though. Since, I think it was Live 2005 or 2006, EA have used the quote '60 frames per second' and also did so with Live 14. It's a lie. The game isn't half as smooth as 2K14. And it's so true, that given the fact the graphics are quite basic, it's an even bigger disappointment. I've bought every Live game since 1995 on Sega Megadrive/Genesis and every single one has been full of missing animations and a never come close to 60fps.

I've got it running right now and still can't see the graphical difference the patch supposedly brought. Maybe a slight adjustment to brightness and contrast, but certainly nothing major.
Phreak50

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:46 am

I was looking at this guy's twitch broadcast, and they added new animations. It was brief bit visually I could see some new things. I seen Mario Chalmers face and it looked like how some players in FIFA 14 looked, so maybe it's just the base layer before they add all the detail.

Looking forward to more hands on stuff.from you guys though positive and negative until I get my hands on it
ThaLiveKing

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:46 am

^ Yea look closer game does look a bit different due to lighting... But yes AI still exactly same, but I don't notice any smoother interactions between players on court... It still feels like pinball, I think that's the best way I could sum this game up... Its pinball and you as a player are bouncing around from person to person, or getting sucked in animation to animation I suppose... But it feels pinbally unlike 2K its still animation issues, but more realistic physics based
ChrisCP3Paul

Re: Update is out on PS4/X1

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:08 am

Played a couple more hours. AI has not been touched. :/

And on the lighting... to me it's different, but not better. Just different.

I preferred the original lighting more. It looked closer to real settings, now it's overbright and trying to cater for the 2K fans.... (N)

Still my favourite bball game this year and has a lot of potential but this is just a regular hotfix to me and not THE PATCH like many have called it.

I see there's a lot of placebo crap still going on at OS as well...
Phreak50

Postby spursthebest on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:11 am

what jerseys did they add
spursthebest

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:12 am

yeaaaa

played UT, CPU just went to the paint over and over. If I breathed on the square button I got called for a foul. I dont know if shot timing got changed, but I just feared shooting anything, even wide open.
Tried an online game for some dumb reason...D/C in the second quarter due to a crash. Not going to force it. I'll come back to Live when I want to.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am

Game breaking bug in Rising Star. Pass button gets queued up or stuck whenever you call for a pass and your player passes again leading to a bunch of turnovers. I found a work around by pressing the set-screen button before or after, but that also stops any lead momentum. Sometimes I could queue up the shot button while the pass was in the air, but it was frustrating to say the least.

Overall I don't see huge changes. Shootaround is just the demo shown to journalists at trade shows, and learning the moves from that camera view to executing them during a gameplay view doesn't translate well. They should have added one on one post play, freethrows and text jumpshot feedback in this mode to accompany the icon flash.

Player response is a little bit better, but still delayed for the most part. Learning how and when your player pivots when changing directions makes the control difficult. CPU can still waltz past full court defenders like the defender took a bad angle or something, and ends up behind the ballhandler in the backcourt. I'm going to go off and say I don't really believe Sean O'Brien when he said(in a youtube interview) it could be multiple factors from the way animations are motion captured to how the animators put them in the game as that sounds like an excuse. The response issues have been in the game since NBA Live 08 and they need to be ironed out. Compare the responsiveness of dribbling while moving to just moving and you will see something wrong there. I'm glad they are finally acknowledging it and working on it, though.

Looks like they improved the speed of jumping for block shots by slowing them down along with the angles defenders take to contest shots.

The visuals look a bit better and the animations smoother, but possibly at a cost of some responsiveness, even though it was improved in some areas. I think the players skin tones are just too flat with one color, and that leads to the plastic/clay look. Some improved texture with more color variation and better shaders should improve that area.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 am

Update available on the Xbox One now!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby jyoung on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Game breaking bug in Rising Star. Pass button gets queued up or stuck whenever you call for a pass and your player passes again leading to a bunch of turnovers. I found a work around by pressing the set-screen button before or after, but that also stops any lead momentum. Sometimes I could queue up the shot button while the pass was in the air, but it was frustrating to say the least.

I've noticed this "pass back" bug in Ultimate Team mode as well (PS4), but it only seems to happen whenever I send an icon pass to my point guard.

It doesn't happen if I'm using the left stick directional passing, and it doesn't happen when I icon pass to other positions besides point guard.
jyoung

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:04 pm

This is the first time I felt like taking an NBA Live game I bought and returning it or getting some credit for it.
ThaLiveKing

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:This is the first time I felt like taking an NBA Live game I bought and returning it or getting some credit for it.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=42376&p=673849#p673849
ThaLiveKing wrote:I'm getting rid of mine next week. . I got the Ps2 version. . Gonna settle for 2K7!! EA Step yo game up

Live 07, never forget.

Sucks hearing about these issues, hopefully they patch them up and don't leave them in like Live 10's slow-motion alley oops.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:51 pm

JaoSming wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:This is the first time I felt like taking an NBA Live game I bought and returning it or getting some credit for it.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=42376&p=673849#p673849
ThaLiveKing wrote:I'm getting rid of mine next week. . I got the Ps2 version. . Gonna settle for 2K7!! EA Step yo game up

Live 07, never forget.

Sucks hearing about these issues, hopefully they patch them up and don't leave them in like Live 10's slow-motion alley oops.

2nd time I felt like returning this game in for credit LMAO, this is better than Live 07 though!! Buying 2K7 was one of the best things I ever did, EPIC BATTLES with the fam in that game.
ThaLiveKing

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:54 am

Anyone on the Xbox one having problems accessing the "Playoff Atmosphere" feature? When I wasn't connected online, it was workng fine, but as soon as the game connected to the servers, it stopped showing up!! Maybe the Servers are the reason I'm having difficulty enjoying this game
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 pm

I want to play a few more games before I offer some detailed impressions, but felt like there was some improvement in responsiveness. As I mentioned to Scott OG in our interview, it definitely would be nice to be able to change the camera angles in Shootaround and to practice post up moves, but it is good that they got something in the game all the same.

I have noticed the pass back issues occur a couple of times in player locked BIG Moments. Hopefully, they can push through a minor fix to address that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:33 pm

^ hey Andrew next time you interview the guy, maybe please ask him about some of the more obvious issues this game is facing ?
like for example why this game struggles to perform (30fps issue in baseline cameras) only runs at 60fps when in sideways cams....and what is Ignite and what does it do exactly ?

as far as the lighting, I don't think any more work on it will improve anything, the issue is the skintone textures itself and not the way any of the light bounces off it...... I can't understand the slingshot physics at all, boggles my mind at how unatural and arcade it makes the game feel.... I went full steam for a layup with DeRozan today and he was up in the air and stopped moving forward as if he hit a brick wall completely to a stop in MID AIR not moving an inch further and fell to the floor dead straight because a defender was there, I hit the layup tho :D
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:56 am

What really kills this game is the fact that it really wasnt "BUILT FOR THE GROUND UP STRICTLY FOR THE NEXT GENERATION" the developers have bragged about this fact before the game's release and we all bought into it and got super excited, and with good reason, pure next gen basketball game sounds friggin awesome.... and then when I went in as a game tester at the Burnaby studio even though I didn't test gameplay what I saw made me very excited....

First they come out and say the game is "built from the ground up", that was before we saw any gameplay pre-release and now that the game is out and it's obvious as hell, it's basically the same crap from last gen, now they talkin bout "We inherited a mess from Live 13 and they didn't have time to turn the ship around"

I want to hear your direct opinions on this blatant lie and misdirection, I know a lot of you guys have gotten somehow past that and now just want to stay positive about the future of the game, I get it and I dont at the same time... but I want to know how you guys feel being sold a 2013 model car falsely labeled as a brand spanking new 2014 model.... not that there's even an analogy needed, what EA did is black and white and I'm personally sick and disappointed of people still lingering in the grey, BECAUSE as long as we stay in that grey area these companies will continue doing the same exact rinse and repeat BS and get away with it....
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby JaoSming on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 am

ChrisCP3Paul, I'm pissed they said that, but I never believed it to begin with. From the onset the first screenshots and videos we got to see all looked like Live 13's player models, and when we finally saw gameplay footage it looked somewhat similar. It would be silly for them to actually go ground up in the 1 year this team actually had with the game, so being skeptical before lessened the blow now.
It sucks because of how personal the EA team is, I dont know if they are purposely lying, which i doubt that is the case, or if decisions are just made outside of their true control.

However, I am still positive about the game and its future, I am still having fun playing it. I just hate hearing how big of an issue Live 13 is to work with....when they could have cleaned up Live 10 and kept stuff like the intro shootaround, the dynasty mode, online code, etc etc etc. My guess we are years away from EASBA level stuff that was supposed to be in Elite 11. That hurts more than prerelease hype discrepancies.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:18 am

^ yea thats the only reason I'm on here with you guys, because I still got that little bit of hope for the future maybe they wake up one day and realize should we try to scheme our way into making some quick money right now, or build something that will actually make people wanna spend money for years... I mean I honestly think that the EA business suits decided they needed to get a return on their investment, they probably felt like ok we had these guys in the studio some time now making Live, let's get some of that money back asap... we tend to forget EA is a business....
I do agree with you I do think that some of the actual developers of the game know and feel exactly the same way about the game as we all do, but the ones who speak for the game are the Public Relations guys most of the time...

And you know whats funny, right now the two games I'm most passionate about Live 14 and Rome Total War 2.... both of them suffer majorly from blatant pre-release lies and big time post release issues....
and I'm not much of a gamer so this is killin me not being able to play and enjoy basically the only 2 games I really want to play
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby JaoSming on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:07 am

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:but the ones who speak for the game are the Public Relations guys most of the time...

as a heads up, Scott isnt a PR guy, the one who works on the game and did a couple special podcasts with us. The AJ guy is, but Ryan Santos and the others arent either.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Next

Return to NBA Live 14