The Official NBA Live 14 Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Re: The Official NBA Live 14 Impressions Thread

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:16 am

I guess, I just wish they'd get their shit together already. I keep wanting/hoping for them to deliver and then they just release stuff like this with nice words and it's like yeah, fuck ya'll kthnxbainao.
Jackal

Postby benji on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:30 am

Way too harsh and unfair Jao, wait for the team to get the time to use a full dev cycle to start from scratch first before you criticize their work. You just look like a hater and 2K fanboi right now with your uninformed rantings.
benji

Postby JaoSming on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:36 am

DAMN ME AND MY HEX EDITING :cussing:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby concolt on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:27 am

benji wrote:Way too harsh and unfair Jao, wait for the team to get the time to use a full dev cycle to start from scratch first before you criticize their work. You just look like a hater and 2K fanboi right now with your uninformed rantings.

I don't think this is too harsh. They had years to rebuild this game. Instead they took the easy route and redid the graphics (which still aren't on par with the competitor) and added a few new modes. This game will never be what it needs to be until they start from scratch and get someone that knows basketball to design the gameplay. They probably spent more time making the cgi videos to fool us then they did actually making the game.

I have been playing EA Sports basketball games since before they had the Live name. We deserve something better.
concolt

Postby JBulls on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:00 am

whoosh!
JBulls

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:17 pm

So, does anyone know how to make free throws? Or for that matter, wide open three-pointers? Ray Allen wide open... miss. The only players that seem to make open shots so far are Durant and Danny Green. My free throw shooting has to be 0-100 so far. And combined with my opponents, probably like 5-200.

I was impressed with the game at first, but slowly and surely all the bad memories of Live 10 started coming back... It's complete shit. I watched Jao's video, and he's right. All it does is make you pissed off. I'll still probably keep my copy though, because I'll randomly get the itch to play after I've OD'd on 2K.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:26 pm

They've adopted a similar approach to free throws as NBA 2K, but there's no visual cue like the flash in the player indicator that 2K utilises, so it's definitely more hit and miss as you try to get the timing down. I still miss the old T-Meter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:33 pm

The cue for freethrows are the feet/toes extension and the first point where the ball is at it's highest above the player's head, I believe. I watch the cpu timing and if I mimick it, I can hit them. I believe jumpshots are similar, but aren't very forgiving if you aren't wide open. Seems like a quick release.

I got a chase down block fro behind today.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:51 pm

I like the indicator flash better, but I'll have to watch for that more closely.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 am

So Derrick Williams just had a nice game the other night with his new team the Kings. Rosters have not been updated for that trade, and the Live Season game doesn't have him either, instead a starting and a bench "Point Guard" replaces him and I guess Mbah a Moute.

:miserable:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:48 am

Synergy! Court Q! Hype hype hype!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 pm

About time I posted some initial impressions, seeing as how I've had the game for a couple of weeks now.

I'm not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said. This hasn't been a strong comeback for the NBA Live series and I can't say that I'm having a lot of fun with it. I could probably overlook some of the animations if the game felt a bit better, but the stiffness of the controls don't do anything for the gameplay experience. There are moments when everything seems to go right and it doesn't look too bad when that happens, but for the most part, it's not what I was hoping for.

I don't think the IGNITE engine should be scrapped, because constantly rebooting the game is what's set it back in the first place. The fact that you'll catch the occasional "flash of brilliance" that some of the early previews talked about suggests that it's viable to make a good basketball game with the engine, but more polish is needed and there's more work to be done.

Rising Star is definitely basic, I can't see myself spending much time with that at all. It's good that they got it in the game so they have something to build on, though. Dynasty isn't particularly deep, but solid enough to build upon as well. I like what they've done with the frontend and the ESPN presentation is definitely one of the strongest parts of the game.

For the game to be playable and enjoyable, it's definitely going to need those forthcoming patches to spruce things up. As I've said elsewhere, it'll be interesting to see just how much they can accomplish there. I'm glad that the NBA Live series is back, I want to see it succeed in the long run, but without a doubt there's still a long way to go.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mlnD-gAmEz- on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:36 pm

People love to bring up things that have nothing to do with gameplay. Gameplay makes the video game, commentary is very minor... Compared to 2K14 NG, its not that far behind. Reasons are:

- NBA2K14 fully focuses on MyCareer and MyCareer is more of a fixed story with ties to a street rivalry.
- Limited features, and Parks Mode is just a complete joke, it's NBA Street all over again
- Gameplay feels more authentic as far as player speeds in Live. 2K has the more fluid movements, but players speed are way too fast. Every move launches the ball handler with a burst of speed. Than add the fact that turbo it's self adds to the already quickness of the base player speed.
Dribble in Live feels mechanically, robotic alittle. 2K's Dribbling feels like Ice Skating to me. Live overall captures the individual players sig movement, Melo really moves like Melo. While 2K has packages that many players share. All bigs have that same moves, etc.
2k has the better contact, Live doesnt seem to had any shot contact. But 2k players make a really high rate of contact shots n the "scooping layup cheese" is pretty much automatic
Defense actually is much more effective in Live. 2k's defense only really consists of reaching and blocking, the Eco-Motion gives the ball handler way too much freedom over the defender. Live's defensive player movement is much more responsive and effective.

My take and ive never been a current gen fan of Live, is if 2K and Live both shared identical graphics. Libe would be the better game.....

"It's just a video game to little kids, it's a basketball game to adults"
Simcoholics.com
twitter.com/mInDgAmEz_83
mlnD-gAmEz-

Postby Phreak50 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Disagree on most of the above.

As much as Live plays the better game to me, there are still so many dodgy, laughable features and AI.

I don't know, maybe I am just too good at the game and know more of the way 'videogames' work than the average bball fan simply playing a bball game because I can cheese to score 99% of the time and likewise can stop the CPU, even on the hardest difficulty 99% of the time.

Level 42, something like 50-6 record.

Anyway, the things Live does better than 2K...

- CPU calls and runs better plays (when it hasn't decided to just hold the ball in the one position for 24 seconds or spin baseline from the post) in Live
- Dribbling animations are better in Live
- Dribbling controls are MUCH better in Live
- Much smoother and more responsive (and fun) to shoot jumpers in Live
- Less annoying commentary (not necessarily better but way less scripted, over-repeated stories, something 2K annoys the hell out of me with)
- Calling a screen, having the screener actually affect the defender he makes contact with and also giving you the option to go left, right or pull up depending on how the D reacts is 10x better in Live
- Net graphics and physics look better in Live
- Tattoo textures much better in Live
- Funnily enough for an EA game, MUCH less bugs and crashes than 2K lol

Still though, as some of my comments have explained and some of my YT videos show, the game can be exploited like no other NBA game I've ever played. Spin and dunk WHENEVER you want. Get a player hot and no matter what he will get double teamed and if you have a good shooter and are good with the release timing, you can do whatever you want from the 3 point line (I got the 7 straight 3's achievement nice and easy and have since hit 20+ 3's with Steph Curry in a 5min qtr game). You can also average about 30-40 blocks a game (guards are like Bill Russell out there) and exploit the CPU AI by doubling them at certain times and forcing bad shots or turnovers. And no, this isn't a positive feature. e.g. in a 5min qtr game I held Lebron to something like 2-20 where most of those misses were him shooting along the baseline and hitting the side of the backboard with almost every shot and also committing about 10 turnovers. (This is where I think I can read how videogame AI works rather than being good at NBA Live in particular).

Yeah it's enjoyable and yeah it's amazingly the better next gen bball game. BUT it has a LONG way to go via patches before it's called a great game or anything.
Phreak50

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:53 am

I had some fun games with it last night, probably some of my best experiences with the game. The tuned shot releases and knowledge that it's a very quick release point (thanks again, JaoSming) have definitely helped. There are issues, but it still feels like a game that can be built upon and enhanced somewhat with the updates that they're working on. If they can push through new animations, there could be some significant leaps in quality before NBA Live 15. I guess we'll see.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:57 am

Some updated impressions, and a hell-of-a glitchy comeback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eVp0B2t8f4
phpBB [video]

Summed up, I feel the game draws some comparisons to 2K8 and 2K10 due to some animation-heavy tendencies (players getting locked into animations posting up, screen canimation, catching the ball and going over-and-back or out of bounds). 2K tactics won't work as well in this, at least not mine. Roster updates are disappointing, the ball does warp and ghost, dynasty and rising star modes aren't even worth mentioning. There are still major gameplay issues that popup once or twice a game in 3-6 minute quarters, like the timeout thing in the video. Playcalling is disappointing, relying on the cut and LT/L2 screen quick plays are much more effective.

Only take jumpers that are open, and the shot timing is ridiculously quick. Dribbling and shot blocking are very satisfying, and defensively the game does seem to penalize defenders for minor movements/positioning. Graphics are not at 2K's level, but I honestly have had the infamous "What game is on?" when leaving a stream on of the game, probably due to presentation elements.

It's fun, it has issues, don't get it unless you like the demo enough to give it a shot. I have seen glowing impressions, I have seen "I wasted my money" impressions, and I've felt both ways with this game. Right now, I am completely addicted to the gameplay, I keep coming back and wanting to play more. I don't care about the rosters, I don't care who is on my UT, I just want to play more.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby dascoot on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:59 am

The question i have is does this game have multi-player dynasty mode?
dascoot

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 am

It doesn't.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Played today for the first time in a bit and was having a lot of fun. I really do love the more methodical pace and how beating your man with a signature dribble plays out. Played a challenge, quick game, then this BS happened in Ultimate Team

I had just hit a three to get that lead. Real nice back-and-forth fun game and sdfnhuiavn;av dammit. Pressing X sent me back to the menu showing me my non-result. Just sucks how these online requirements affect single player gameplay. And for the record, I didn't lose Internet, these images were uploaded instantly to twitter
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Phreak50 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Yep that freaking sucks. I've had similar, where Live tells me I can't play Ultimate Team because my PS4 isn't connected online. (I was logged into PSN fine and most certainly online).

If we pay for a game, we should be able to play it. Typical EA really.
Phreak50

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:36 pm

What does Ultimate team have to do with online?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:53 pm

there are head to head games, but I guess you need to maintain connection to make sure you don't cheat with the game's results? I honestly have no idea, I was doing a fantasy challenge.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Phreak50 wrote:If we pay for a game, we should be able to play it. Typical EA really.

Hey, at least there's no VC. ;)

When it comes down to it, online components should not interfere with offline play, which has obviously been the case with both titles. It's something both EA and 2K - and I guess all game developers in general - will need to keep in mind moving forward. I really hope it doesn't become a common problem on this generation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phreak50 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:07 am

Pdub wrote:What does Ultimate team have to do with online?

No idea, but it doesn't work unless you are connected.
Phreak50

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 am

Ultimate Team has online components, though it features both online and offline play. Presumably, it requires the connection for XP and UT coins.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 14