NBASv2HDR - Project Name and Texture Resolution

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBASv2HDR - Project Name and Texture Resolution

Postby johnz1 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:48 pm

In a podcast a couple weeks ago, Jao suggested that the name "NBA Street Vol. 2 HD Remake" isn't accurate because the game isn't actually be remade, it's just the ratings, rosters, and textures that are being updated. Has any more thought been put into changing the name? I think at the minimum it would be a good idea to add the year into the name. I've come up with this list, but I don't think any of them are that great:

NBA Street Vol. 2 2014 Update
    NBA Street Vol. 2 2014
    NBA Street Vol. 2 '14
    NBA Street Vol. 2014
    NBA Street Vol. 2 Rebirth
    NBA Street Vol. 2 Rebirth 2014

As for the "HD" part of the name: the jersey textures that Mazz is putting out are the same resolution as the ones in the game. I've got absolutely no problem with this, but if there is going to be hi-res textures released, I'd really like to see them alongside the current scaled-down textures that are the same size as the original ones. Dolphin is already running slower than most other games because this game requires DSP LLE for proper audio. Replacing textures with hi-res ones bumps up the system requirements even further. I don't know what the current plan is for textures, but if hi-res textures are going to happen, having a low-res option would be a pretty easy thing to do, and it would really help the people that don't have decent gaming PCs.

Project is coming along great btw. I still can't believe how far it's come in just one month
johnz1

Re: NBASv2HDR - Project Name and Texture Resolution

Postby JaoSming on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 pm

johnz1 wrote:I don't know what the current plan is for textures, but if hi-res textures are going to happen, having a low-res option would be a pretty easy thing to do, and it would really help the people that don't have decent gaming PCs.

This is what I would like to happen

As for the name, it has stupidly stuck for me. HDR piggybacks the photography term, and Remake is going to raise more interest and search hits than any other name we use. I think for now, stay the course, but if/when this expands to a true HD remake of the original game, or other mods of it, then we should rename and restructure it all. Right now we should focus on getting recognized/supported, and textures.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby johnz1 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 am

That sounds good to me. How about the year though? Just to designate that it's for this season. "NBA Street Vol. 2 HD Remake 2014". After all, hopefully there will indeed be more releases after this season
johnz1

Postby JaoSming on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:25 am

I see it in the same light as the 'other mods', once we get to next season then we can add the year retroactively to avoid confusion. Right now we only have 1 thing going though,
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Mazzocchi on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 am

You raise some good points, here's just my 2 cents.

I could care less about the name honestly, but I think NBA Street Vol 2 HD Remix is fine. Even though there is no HD content coming from ME, doing the whole art thing isn't really my thing (what is? idk I'm useless lol) I was honestly hoping someone way more talented than me would just use the information I'm throwing out there as a base, and expand on it (like Jao did with the HEX editing). Like the names for the textures, etc, as dumping textures is one of the more tedious things imo. I'm going to finish hopefully all the jerseys in the near future (in the standard resolution) but I'm hoping other people will step forward and start work on HD courts, jerseys, cyberfaces, etc.
Mazzocchi
Resident Mavericks Fan (Since 1994)

Postby johnz1 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:13 am

Remix? Remake? "Remix" might be a better fit with the image of this game

"NBA Street Vol. 2 2014 Remix" - I really like that
johnz1

Return to Other Basketball Games