Need help running NBA Live 2000 on Windows XP.

Talk about NBA Live 95-2002 here.

Need help running NBA Live 2000 on Windows XP.

Postby fablefire on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:05 am

I am trying to run NBA Live 2000 on Windows XP SP2 through the program VirtualBox. However, whenever I try to run the game I always get the "please insert the disc" message. I tried every single compatibility mode that comes with Windows XP and even tried to install a no cd patch. I have a legit copy of NBA Live 2000 that seems to be a CD-ROM Classics re-release since the actual cover of NBA Live 2000 is surrounded by a silver border and it has the new EA Sports logo first used in 2000 as opposed to the classic EA Sports logo that was used in the 90s. Another thing to note is that IMGBurn actually says that some sectors on the disc are unreadable. Thanks for reading and I will be looking forward to your help! :D
fablefire

Re: Need help running NBA Live 2000 on Windows XP.

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:10 am

NBA Live 2000 should work fine on Windows XP. If there are unreadable sectors on the disc, then I'd say that's your problem right there. The only solution to that would be to replace the disc.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby fablefire on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Well the installer worked just fine, no file errors or anything and I was doing a full install including movies. There must not be any valuable info on those sectors. So yeah, the CD works just fine I think. The screwdriver level is 10: I am definitely screwed. *remembers the Windows Vista installation method.* I think I should try that. *puts some not really back breaking labor into transferring the game to Windows 8, then proceeds to open the game.* (And it works.) Yes, finally! I thank you Andrew for your bit of help! Probably it was Windows XP SP2 that was the problem. I played 2 quarters of NBA Live 2000 and it was really fun.

EDIT: Apparently there was a fix for the cd check problem on Windows XP. Just install this patch from the link and you are good to go! http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2941
fablefire

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:13 pm

I stand corrected, it sounded like the disc itself might be damaged, but that's good to know. Thanks for the follow up!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby fablefire on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:21 am

Quick question: How do I change the resolution? The display settings section of the details menu only has the options Low, Medium, and High, all of them being 640x480, the difference is that Low has interlacing, but Medium and High does not. I am running in Direct3D mode I think, not Software Mode.
fablefire

Postby benji on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:02 am

Run 3DSetup or whatever it's called to make sure it finds your card. It's either in the start menu Live 2000 folder or you can find it anyway in the actual Live 2000 folder.

As an aside, I thought Live 2000/2001 had some kind of copy protection on the disks, that's why IMGBurn errors on it.

EDIT: Just looked at that microsoft link, yeah SafeDisc is copy protection.

EDIT2: Just re-read your OP and noticed you're using VirtualBox. If you're having trouble with the video card emulation pass through try VMWare Player, hardware acceleration works just fine for me on that.

See, my dumb stickied thread for more useless information: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=82084
benji

Postby fablefire on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 am

The 3DSetup program says "Error! Could no fimd/open game registry key.SOFTWARE\EA SPORTS\NBA Live 2000." I configured the registry to where it uses my graphics card and Direct3D mode instead of Software Mode. Any ideas to fix this? (BTW, I am actually running this on my main Windows 8 computer.)
fablefire

Postby fablefire on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:10 am

Okay, so I finally got the game to work with VMWare complete with higher screen resolutions. I would like to say thanks for your help. NBA Live 2000 is a really fun game so far, especially arcade mode. :D
fablefire

Return to NBA Live Vintage