JSGME: Mix & Match Mods Without Keeping Backups Manually

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K13 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

JSGME: Mix & Match Mods Without Keeping Backups Manually

Postby Leftos on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 pm

DISCLAIMER: This was copied verbatim from the post I did last year for NBA 2K12. Exactly the same things apply.

A common issue modders creating (and users using) Total Conversions encounter, is the inability to keep the original game and the total conversion installed without having to copy the entire game folder to another place, or keeping manual backups of any files the mod replaces.

Another common issue for users, is downloading a mod and installing it, only to find out they didn't like it, but not having kept a backup, they have to dig up their original disc to find the original file, or download another mod.

The solution to all this is JSGME. JSGME, or Generic Mod Enabler, is a mod manager that works with any game. You install it to the game's installation directory, and put any new mod you want to try in a subfolder within a Mods folder. JSGME will detect the mods in that folder on start-up, and allow you to enable any of them.

It automatically keeps backups of your original files and restores them when you disable the mod. It also detects if a mod you're about to enable will conflict with another enabled mod. It can also keep mod profiles that remember which mods you want enabled for each profile (e.g. a Classic profile, in which you'll have classic courts, a classic scoreboard, classic jerseys, etc).

You can download it here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20963192/jsgme_setup_exe

Video Tutorial
phpBB [video]

Tutorial
1. Install it to your NBA 2K12 installation folder.
2. You'll find a MODS subfolder created inside now.
3. For every mod you want to be able to enable and disable, create a subfolder inside the MODS folder, with the name of the mod. For example, if you want to be able to switch between the TNT and NBA TV scoreboards, create two folders like so:
...\NBA 2K12\MODS\TNT Scoreboard
...\NBA 2K12\MODS\NBA TV Scoreboard
4. Extract the files of each mod into those subfolders, not into your installation path directly.
5. The mods will show up on JSGME, and you can enable/disable them.

Here are some screenshots to help you:

Credits to JoneSoft for this great tool.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Re: JSGME: Mix & Match Mods Without Keeping Backups Manually

Postby SC1211 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Cannot recommend this enough. It will solve all of your problems with overwriting/conflicting mods.
SC1211

Postby ysaquerai on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 am

mirror link pls, link posted above does not work for me

many thanks =)
ysaquerai

Postby daninoz on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:16 am

JSGME FTW:

daninoz

Postby M3r$uRy on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Is it ok if I include JSGME in a compilation? Or should I just strongly reccomend the downloaders to use it?
CF Releases & Requests Directories for NBA 2K14 & NBA 2K13

Find and request the Cyberface you want here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

::::::::::|> My custom soundtracks for NBA 2K14 <|::::::::::
M3r$uRy

Postby Leftos on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 pm

M3r$uRy, the developer isn't from around these parts, and I doubt he'd have a problem. Include it, you're not "editing and rereleasing his work".

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby M3r$uRy on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Yeah I know he is not. Anyways thanks!
CF Releases & Requests Directories for NBA 2K14 & NBA 2K13

Find and request the Cyberface you want here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

::::::::::|> My custom soundtracks for NBA 2K14 <|::::::::::
M3r$uRy

Postby 2TwOs on Sat May 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Question:

If i want to enabled a game mods like FIBAmod,how can i automatically play it and load the Fiba roster automatically Using this Tool??? Or it cant be??
2TwOs

Postby JaoSming on Sat May 04, 2013 9:39 pm

you have to load the roster yourself.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby APBamaMan on Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 am

nevermind
Last edited by APBamaMan on Mon May 20, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APBamaMan

Postby Maverick on Sat May 18, 2013 9:20 pm

thanks for this! (Y)
Maverick
for Life

Postby Maverick on Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 pm

neccasalmor wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?bxb8lnfaep3bgpj

thanks for the link. (Y) cant download from gamefront.
Maverick
for Life

Postby dreamagain on Thu May 23, 2013 11:36 am

This is a great program, I just want to verify the way this thing works..

For example let's say we have 3 mods and they all replace file A.

Installing Mod 1 overwrites the default 2k file. Installing Mod 2 overwrites Mod 1 and Installing Mod 3 overwrites Mod 2.. that's how it works correct?

And what about when you uninstall
You uninstall Mod 3.. does it go back to Mod 2? Then if you uninstall Mod 2 it goes back to Mod 1 then if you uninstall Mod 1 it goes back to generic?

Does this make sense?

Thanks guys
dreamagain

Postby Bassman58 on Fri May 24, 2013 3:25 am

JSGME will notify you if a mod file will overwrite another file. For example png9999.iff from mod A is the same as png9999.iff from mod B. I don't see why you would install mods on top of each other because only one file will be used. Normally you use JSGME to install one at a time such as the NCAA mod or the FIBA mod. I have JGSME set up to install different balls, and portraits, globals, uniforms, cyberfaces, and arenas each in their own folder. I think uninstalling mods would go as you suggest.
Bassman58

Postby dreamagain on Fri May 24, 2013 10:59 am

Bassman58 wrote:JSGME will notify you if a mod file will overwrite another file. For example png9999.iff from mod A is the same as png9999.iff from mod B. I don't see why you would install mods on top of each other because only one file will be used. Normally you use JSGME to install one at a time such as the NCAA mod or the FIBA mod. I have JGSME set up to install different balls, and portraits, globals, uniforms, cyberfaces, and arenas each in their own folder. I think uninstalling mods would go as you suggest.

Because let's say I have a cyberface pack that does a bunch but I also have a specific cyberface for Kobe and Wade that I want to use. I will first install the cyberface pack and then secondly install the kobe/wade one and it will overwrite, correct?
dreamagain

Postby Bassman58 on Sat May 25, 2013 2:45 am

You are correct. JSGME will show that the file has already been altered (installed) and if you want to enable this mod (the second mod). You just need to be aware of what file you actually want to install.
Bassman58

Postby van on Fri May 31, 2013 1:13 am

dreamagain wrote:
Bassman58 wrote:JSGME will notify you if a mod file will overwrite another file. For example png9999.iff from mod A is the same as png9999.iff from mod B. I don't see why you would install mods on top of each other because only one file will be used. Normally you use JSGME to install one at a time such as the NCAA mod or the FIBA mod. I have JGSME set up to install different balls, and portraits, globals, uniforms, cyberfaces, and arenas each in their own folder. I think uninstalling mods would go as you suggest.

Because let's say I have a cyberface pack that does a bunch but I also have a specific cyberface for Kobe and Wade that I want to use. I will first install the cyberface pack and then secondly install the kobe/wade one and it will overwrite, correct?

put ur kobe/wade cf's together in ur cyberface pack... name it like.. "cyberfacepack2013+kobe+wade cf" something like that then use JSGME to install. (Y) that would solve ur dilemma.
van

Postby ayarauuf on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am

Hello Sir Leftos, i use your tool to enable scoreboard MOD but sadly not working for me. the icon on the board is showing fine but still the default scoreboard is appearing. i try manually copy and paste the newscorebug.iff into Online Data Folder and RUN the game, the board is now appearing but my Online Data Folder is automatically deleted/disappear. :? any idea Sir?
ayarauuf

Postby Leftos on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 am

You need to use Keep My Mod or stay offline and delete your Online Data folder.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jzero on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 pm

For some reason after i used this and activated the ncaa mod, when i deactivated it, it wouldn't let me launch the vanilla version
It would just CTD as soon as i launched it
any solutions?
jzero

Postby mcoll86 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 am

the that doesmake since this. if jsgm is wih the nabak14 folder whic what sould your installing it, then the mod folder is folderdown from there, whixc alo one foder down from image sown in the thread. what am not igetting here.
mcoll86

Postby mcoll86 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 pm

got going now. ty for the turial and vidio. i was on the track, but didnt have setup right when first tried this, i was one branch inothe worng place with it. simple thing, but if you havent used something anddontknow wher the right brach paths are, y can get confused.
mcoll86

Postby ryams27 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:25 am

I am using JSGME to activate College Hoops 2k13 conversion. Everything appears to be work at first -- the splash screen shows college team logos, followed by the cover art college players montage. After that, the game reverts back to vanilla NBA2k13 with My Player loaded, etc. What am I missing?
ryams27

Postby ryams27 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:24 am

Never mind -- I got it working. Apparently I should've put the JSGME files directly in the main NBA2k folder, as opposed to a JSGME subfolder within the NBA2k folder. I also moved the MODS folder from within the default JSGME subfolder to the NBA2k folder.

Thanks for this and all your hard work. This is really cool.
ryams27

Return to NBA 2K13 Modding