Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Andrew on Wed May 22, 2013 10:30 am

I can still see Howard remaining with the Lakers, because I can only imagine how difficult it would be to walk away from that much money. At the same time, those meetings and the reports that he's supposedly intrigued by the Rockets do suggest there's a pretty good chance he'll leave instead.

I keep coming back to the money, though. Again, does anyone in his position walk away from that?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Thu May 23, 2013 3:32 am

Before anyone answers that choker in Miami, he only gave up 5 million.
Shaq gave up about 8-9 million to re-sign with the Heat then.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 am

No amount of money can bring up the Lakers dynasty now. Days=over ;)
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Jackal on Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 am

Hush fanboy, go enjoy this little run the Heat are on.

"Not one, not two, not three..." The Heat can only dream of being in the discussion of "legendary franchises".
Jackal

Postby stereoxide on Thu May 23, 2013 9:02 am

SoF'nAwesome wrote:No amount of money can bring up the Lakers dynasty now. Days=over ;)

What? Are you realizing they are the Lakers, one of the prime FA destinations. If Kobe retires years from now they can rebuild quickly because of money and market.
stereoxide

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu May 23, 2013 5:50 pm

When was the last one...2007? 2008? I'm sorry I don't remember. And Kobe was also the MVP last...damn, don't remember again!
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby stereoxide on Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:When was the last one...2007? 2008? I'm sorry I don't remember. And Kobe was also the MVP last...damn, don't remember again!

Champions 2009, 2010, just three years ago. Obviously you only watched the NBA when the Miami Big Three were formed. They are also a playoff mainstay for the past 15 or so years having only missed it the year after Shaq left the Lakers.
stereoxide

Postby shadowgrin on Thu May 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Miami fanboy bandwagoner just got pwned.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Stress Fracture on Thu May 23, 2013 8:37 pm

stereoxide is heaven sent! Thank you!

shadowgrin wrote:Miami fanboy bandwagoner just got pwned.

Stop using the term "bandwagoner". He gets hurt immediately upon reading that word.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby stereoxide on Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Stress Fracture wrote:stereoxide is heaven sent! Thank you!

Nope, I'm not. I just replied first to his post. benji or shadowgrin could have easily rebutted his statements.
stereoxide

Postby Jackal on Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Word! :lol:
Jackal

Postby dare on Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 pm

:applaud:
dare
True kings have rings

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri May 24, 2013 4:47 am

Lamers unite! :applaud:

No, it's cool. You guys need a win, at least somewhere. Don't see one coming in the NBA in the future, so might as well make a celebration out of this one.

stereoxide wrote:Champions 2009, 2010, just three years ago. Obviously you only watched the NBA when the Miami Big Three were formed. They are also a playoff mainstay for the past 15 or so years having only missed it the year after Shaq left the Lakers.

Easy there, Sherlock. Didn't realize that only that one statement could make it so "obvious" that I started watching the NBA yesterday. I'm assuming you all guys are so tense right now that you don't just get sarcasm. I was "obviously" stating the fact that it's been some time since the Lakers last won a championship and it's Heat's time now. "I don't remember" damn!

But you guys need some positive news, yes! I only started watching the NBA 3 years ago. Damn, I got pwned :lol:
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 24, 2013 5:22 am

Bandwagoner confirmed.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri May 24, 2013 5:32 am

:mrgreen: (Y)
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Stress Fracture on Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 pm

lol @ making excuses.

If Howard do leave the Lakers, what do you think the front office will do?
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby benji on Fri May 24, 2013 7:29 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:I only started watching the NBA 3 years ago.

He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!
benji

Postby _Steve_ on Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Stress Fracture wrote:lol @ making excuses.

Still in the mix is a possible sign-and-trade deal that sends Howard to Houston in return for Asik and Lin.
If Lakers front office puts up something like that, I would still consider it a huge failure. Asik put up some decent numbers last season and could be a nice addition, but Lin is as usefull as a hole in the head.
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Bruce on Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 pm

SteveHTOWN wrote:

Still in the mix is a possible sign-and-trade deal that sends Howard to Houston in return for Asik and Lin.
If Lakers front office puts up something like that, I would still consider it a huge failure. Asik put up some decent numbers last season and could be a nice addition, but Lin is as usefull as a hole in the head.

If all hope was lost to re-sign Howard, I wouldn't want Asik & Lin. I Would want Parsons, Beverly and Robinson plus 1st rnd picks. Lin although coming to his hometown LA, Lin is NOT worth the 14+ million owed to him in in 14'-15'. Asik is also a typical overpriced big man. Parson & Beverly are the real gems that the Lakers should target in such a trade. The money would actually work. Asik is not worth a dollar over 10M. Lin is not worth a dollar over the mid level exception. That would leave the Lakers with a payroll of approx $83M in 13'-14'.

If I were Kupchak I aslo would try to play hardball by not taking Asik & Lin back, because if the Rockets succeed in taking Howard but are not able to trade Lin & Asik, this seriously impedes the Rockets ability to re-stock their bench. So that becomes a big FU to Howard for leaving. Even if the Rockets manage to get rid of Asik & Lin, Harden + DH12's pay would seriously impede the Rockets ability to sign better players. Meanwhile, Kupchak even without Howard in the fold would have many options in the 2014 free agency, w/o being stuck with Asik & Lin's salary & only the $9M+ owed to Nash w/c he could still amnesty and start rebuilding with only around $6M or so commited on payroll. Then maybe sign Asik for 5M and Lin for 2M, sign 2 max players in the great free agency of 2014 and a great big FU again to Howard.
Last edited by Bruce on Fri May 24, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby benji on Fri May 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Bruce wrote:If I were Kupchak I aslo would try to play hardball by not taking Asik & Lin back, because if the Rockets succeed in taking Howard but are not able to trade Lin & Asik, this seriously impedes the Rockets ability to re-stock their bench. So that becomes a big FU to Howard for leaving. Even if the Rockets manage to get rid of Asik & Lin, Harden + DH12's pay would seriously impede the Rockets ability to sign better players. Meanwhile, Kupchak even without Howard in the fold would have many options in the 2014 free agency, w/o being stuck with Asik & Lin's salary & only the $9M+ owed to Nash w/c he could still amnesty and start rebuilding with only around $6M or so commited on payroll.

The Rockets bench is already stocked, and their entire game plan was to build a team like last year and roll that into a second superstar. Getting Howard as a FA is what they want.

What options do the Lakers have in 2014? Are they starting over from scratch? No playoffs this year? Letting Kobe go?

They can't amnesty Nash.
benji

Postby Bruce on Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 pm

benji wrote:The Rockets bench is already stocked, and their entire game plan was to build a team like last year and roll that into a second superstar. Getting Howard as a FA is what they want.

What options do the Lakers have in 2014? Are they starting over from scratch? No playoffs this year? Letting Kobe go?

I am trying to illustrate why taking Asik & Lin is a chump move. Take Houston's bench instead, if not just let dh12 walk. If they take the two, then they give away the chance and flexibility to get much much better players in the '14 free agency. 2014 for the Lakers could very possibly be a very shaky year for the Lakers since Kobe's condition and his status when he returns is still up in the air. Do you think the Lakers would be better in 2014 with Asik & Lin?
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Stress Fracture on Sat May 25, 2013 12:02 am

At least Lin is a better PG than Duhon and Co. Also, the much anticipated Nash tutorials to Lin can happen at that time.

As for Asik, well he can develop his offensive skills if the Lakers hire someone to teach him.

Stress Fracture

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat May 25, 2013 3:21 am

benji wrote:He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

Innovative :P
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Sat May 25, 2013 10:23 am

SteveHTOWN wrote:

Funny I was just thinking about how great it would be for Lin to reunite in LA yesterday before looking at this thread. I thought it would be a great setup for him to be back with D'Antoni and be mentored by Steve Nash (he was supposed to be mentored this year by Kidd, but Nash would be a better mentor for him). Perhaps then he could recapture some of the magic of Linsanity. I did not think about a possible sign & trade though. it would be a good deal for the Lakers as opposed to losing Dwight for nothing. They'll fill a hole at PG, they'll pick up a backup C, and would allow D'Antoni to to actually play a run & gun style with Pau, Clark, Metta, Meeks, & Lin with Asik off the bench. They would obviously need to get some better 3 point shooters.

Bruce wrote: Lin although coming to his hometown LA

Lin isn't from LA, he's from Palo Alto
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Sat May 25, 2013 10:29 am

Lin is way too overpaid to actually be an option. At least, I hope he isn't. :?
Jackal

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball