Comics Thread?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Comics Thread?

Postby Oznogrd on Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 am

shadowgrin wrote::lol:

Silly Oz. You don't have legs, not retarded like other people in the NLSC, which means you can read just fine.

Of course i can. It's just a better guide than any other one ive seen. Therefore benji's genius should be distributed to the masses in the best way possible
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby Oznogrd on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:36 am

Finished Y: The Last Man today. Meh. Have no love for it but cant finger why i didnt enjoy it. I mean, i enjoyed it enough to read 60 issues. But its not something id be like "EVERYONE MUST READ" which is the only opinion outside of benji's i've seen on it.
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:06 am

Since i know we have at least a few deadpool fans: Ways (FINALLY!!!) leaving after #63 and Brian Posehn is taking over with the marvel now rebranding (think nu52, but marvels version)...Yes, the nerdy stoner stand up guy. Hopefully it'll be good.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:29 am

Been reading the second series of Catwoman. It's not like the first series which is standard 90's anti-hero DC schlock. It's a darker almost noir story out of the wake of No Man's Land. Ties in nicely to what Gotham Central was doing at the same time, examining Gotham outside of the Bat Family perspective. Good stuff.

From an issue:

From a Star Trek TNG comic:
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Space Bane.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Finished Catwoman. Fantastic. Even with the derailing that happened late due to the D.C. Crossovers.

Might be the best Gotham based series outside of Gotham Central.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:53 am

finished Way's run on deadpool.

Thank god he's gone, He took deadpool and said "fuck it" to everything that made the character great. Deadpool works best as an unpredictable anti hero...not a dumb guy who lucks into winning. Can't wait for Posehn to pick it up because there's NO WAY he's worse than Way.
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:26 am

need help since my gimp is dead...someone make this an avatar size for me

Just the deadpool panel part...
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:07 pm

benji

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:27 am

Benji, this is why i let you get me naked nightly
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Read some graphic novels from the library...

Batman: Arkham City - Paul Dini's prequel comics to the game.
Justice League: Cry for Justice - Green Lantern, Green Arrow and Ray Palmer decide they need to start roughing some jerks up in the wake of Final Crisis. Form their own version of the Justice League.
Star Trek: Volume 1 - Re-imagining old TOS episodes through the new Abrahmsverse.
Axe Cop: Volume 1 - One day a cop finds the perfect firemans axe...
A History of Violence - The movie is probably a better version of the same premise.

Nemesis - What if Batman was an evil jerk?

Batman: Dead to Rights - Early days fun with the Joker, I realized read the first half of this when it was published in Batman: Confidential but whatevs.
Red Hood: The Lost Days - What Jason Todd was up to after he came back from the dead.
Batman: The Black Casebook - Grant Morrison shares a whole bunch of the old Batman stories he referenced in Batman R.I.P. Including the story that features this panel:

Then, speaking of Grant Morrison, I also finally went ahead and read Batman:Reborn and the follow ups after I bailed from reading it piecemeal back in 2010. The novel order is:
Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn
Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die!

The deluxe editions are freakin pretty in terms of paper and print quality. And it does a much better "ending" to Morrison's arc with Hurt and The Black Glove and Bruce Wayne than R.I.P. (and the five pages of Final Crisis) did. In fact, I see his run completely differently now, in a much more positive light, especially going back and re-reading R.I.P. and "thumbing" through parts of his run up to that. (And coming back to it after having read Animal Man and Doom Patrol in the meantime.) I still don't know if he was the best writer to hand the last days of "Old" Batman to though. Especially doing Final Crisis at the same time and then with Flashpoint happening so shortly after.

At least R.I.P. makes more sense now though.

And then there's the little follow ups, not from Morrison:
Bruce Wayne: The Road Home
Batman: The Dark Knight - Golden Dawn
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 pm

benji wrote:graphic novels from the library...

What a cheapskate. You must do it right and that is by reading in the store while it is for sale.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby benji on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:33 am

More stuff, will score this time:

Get Jiro! - From Anthony Bourdain. (Yes; that one.) - 1/5

Batman: Private Casebook - Final stories Pre-RIP - 4/5
Batman: The Bat and the Beast - 2/5
Batman: Life After Death - Conclusion of Black Mask arc and semi-follow up to The Long Halloween/Dark Victory - 4/5
Batman: Noel - 1/5
Batman Incorporated - Conclusion of Morrison's arc pre-New 52 - 4/5
Batman: The Black Mirror - 5/5
Batman: Odyssey - What in the fuck... - 1/5 or 5/5...I can't tell.
benji

Postby benji on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Let's pop out some ratings?

Batman: Death By Design - 3
Batman: Earth One - 4
First Wave - 2
Green Lantern: Secret Origin - 3
Joe The Barbarian - 2
Justice League: Generation Lost Vol 1 and 2 - 4
Justice League of America: Tornado's Path - 3
Justice League of America: Sanctuary - 3
Justice League of America: Second Coming - 3
Justice League of America: The Injustice League - 3
Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes - 4
Superman: Brainiac - 4
Superman: Camelot Falls - 2
Superman: Codename: Patriot - 3
Superman Earth One: - 3 (Vol 2: 2)
Superman: Ending Battle - 3
Superman: Last Son - 3
Superman: Mon-El: Man of Valor - 3
Superman: Mon-El - 3
Superman: New Krypton Vol 1-4 - 3
Superman: Nightwing and Flamebird Vol 1-2 - 2
Superman: Redemption - 2
Superman: Secret Origin - 3
Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton - 4
Superman: War of the Supermen - 3
Superman: The Black Ring - 4
Superman: Grounded Vol 1 and 2 - 1
Superman: Reign of Doomsday - 1
The World of Flashpoint featuring Batman - 3

Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness - 1

Starman (94-01 series) up through issue 54: 4
Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia - 4
Last edited by benji on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
benji

Postby benji on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 pm

That Superman stuff is basically the collected book form of all of Johns and Robinsons run. And I do recommend it in general even if the individual parts aren't that great at times.

Brainiac alone is a fantastic story. And the New Krypton stuff is probably the best thing ever done with Superman even if it lulls at times.
benji

Postby benji on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 pm

It may be because I just finished Starman and am basking in the afterglow but considering bumping up to a 5. Great series.
benji

Postby benji on Wed May 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Read all of JSA (one that starts in 1999), pretty good, give it a 4 probably. It did a lot to help flesh out parts of Infinite Crisis and 52.

Speaking of which, onto Booster Gold which I'm about a third of the way into and it's totally awesome. Like a DC version of Exiles almost.
benji

Postby benji on Mon May 06, 2013 8:22 pm

So nearly to the end of Justice Society of America and Justice League of America along with Booster Gold. (The ones that started around 2006 post-Infinite Crisis.)

And I can really see now why they rebooted the D.C. Universe. Even though it's pretty freaking sweet when you put all the pieces together since they're from the same circle of like six writers or so.

52 + Countdown (even if it's terrible in comparison) + New Krypton + Morrison's Batman + JSA/JLA + Booster Gold + Final Crisis = hott face melting awesome. That's not even including the Green Lantern stuff which includes Blackest Night and Brightest Day. It all at times ties in together as separate perspectives on the same events which is pretty amazing. But it makes you have to go back and skim through some of the surrounding events at times. Especially if it's shit you read five years ago or more. (Or use Wikipedia. Which since I'm a moron it took me way too long to realize I should do instead of trying to re-decipher Infinite Crisis and its ninety billion tie-ins. I realized Final Crisis is a far tighter story despite how Morrison scripts. Now Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds (Johns' similar conclusion to a lot of his arcs) on the other hand...)

Booster Gold is pretty amazing. That's all. I want a Skeets.

I forgot to mention I re-read Zero Hour before starting Starman and JSA since it's really important to both. I have Issue Zero of that in my parents basement (among other comics from eras past*), and I kinda want to get rid of it now. I had never read the entire plot before, just the core. The last issue actually reads better out of context than it does in the main series than it does in the entire arc.

*I think this and a lot of the other random ones I have from that era came from Sam's Club. They used to have these big ol' packs of comics you could buy for like $10 or something. You'd get all the Supermans and Batmans but also like every shoddy no name hero with some plot you couldn't understand since you didn't follow it, it was like 30-40 comics in a box. Like the entire month of July or whatever's D.C. run. (I'm wondering if these were unsold comics that they just re-packed up together so people would see Superman or whatever and then get all the extra schlock with it. Since Superman and Batman ones would always be overprinted anyway.) My parents would buy them for vacation or whatever so I'd have a bunch of crap to read. There was some great and some horrific out of those. Even as I kid I loved getting like chapter three out of seven in like Justice League Europe and trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Even better were the last chapters like with Zero Hour. (Oddly, almost always easier to understand.) One time I got lucky and got this entire storyline out of one box: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Fall_of_Metropolis

Though even earlier and younger we used to go to some small local comic convention things where they had like you paid $1 and got whatever the fuck was in this bag of comics. I have a whole bunch of 1950/60s Batmans from that. I don't know if I got lucky since you couldn't really look through them. It's just comic shops or whatever dumping coverless or unsellable stuff. It's how I actually read some of The Black Casebook stuff Morrison referenced decades before he even signed up to do Batman. Even got Calender Man's first appearance somewhere.

True Story: I read the Return of Superman plot (with the four impostors and blah blah) as it "happened" at the grocery store because I could easily read an entire months worth of issues while my mom went around the store. (Y)

I think I tried it with Knightfall/Knightsend but it didn't make any sense at the time since I was behind and I think the store only carried the main two Batman books. So I had to catch up by reading the collected editions at Barnes and Noble. (Y) (Y)

Or maybe it was X-Men.

And then you still had time to skim GamePro. (Y) (Y) (Y) (I think EGM was in bags by then. Unless someone else had opened one. Or even better a PC Gamer since they probably stole the demo disc. Hooray crime.)

This is like some hilariously lame form of "piracy" now that I think about it. :twisted:
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 am

benji wrote:great and some horrific out of those...like chapter three out of seven in like Justice League Europe and trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

This.
Which made me go 'fuck separate issues' with every comics and just got the compiled chapters once the story is done.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Oznogrd on Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 pm

I finally finished Lucifer. Fucking fantastic series. Everyone should read it.

Batman's Death of the Family was pretty awesome. I'd almost let scott snyder have my babies. and if I heard correctly he's getting the reins to Supes too so now i'm intrigued since I don't usually enjoy Superman comics.

New 52 Green Arrow was fucking awful until Lemire took over. Nocenti should never be allowed to write for DC again, everything she' done has been awful

Read a bunch of stuff from FCBD, the one that got me intrigued was Gerard Way's Fabulous Killjoys thing. Those MCR videos with post apocalyptic mad max thing going on? He got a comic from Dark Horse.

Started Fractions "Hawkeye" book...enjoying it
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Sun May 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Finished 100 bullets

build up was better than the ending again.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Yeah, that derailed hard at the end. Beyond amazing until it started to put the pieces together finally and it was good and then just degraded towards the finale.

First half though...pretty awesome.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Sun May 19, 2013 11:04 pm

I just couldn't buy all these ultimate badasses going out like that. Survival was their thing and a ton of them let themselves get injured/killed. Also, I'm intrigued by Lono's spinoff coming.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Fri May 24, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm balls deep in Green Lantern so I can get to Brightest Day to get back to being balls deep into JLA and JSA and BOOSTER GOLD so I can finally run into Flashpoint and move onto New 52.

I'm going to go back and read gobs of Flash canon first aren't I.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:55 pm

Ended up with a comic gift card for my bday so I took some risks and picked up some new stuff.

Invincible Volume 1
Saga Volume 1
League of Extraordinary Gentleman 1
Venom (Flash Thompson)
Planetary volume 1

Will post as I read them
Oznogrd

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic