NBA 1978-1979 Mod

Talk about NBA 2K11 here.

NBA 1978-1979 Mod

Postby wdt92 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey, so I know I'm new to the forums, however over the last probably two months I've visited for a number of reasons involving this game. Mainly I checked here for modifications, play tendencies, cybers, and read through many of the Dynasty stories posted to see whats up in the virtual NBAs of the members. :) So over time I took notice of the edits these other posters were doing to the game, and for some reason I stumbled upon one for NBA 2K12 which had every roster pretty much since the late 50s - now. It was crazy deep. Since I didn't own NBA 2K12, I became heavily discouraged of finding what I hoped existed in 2K11 until finding REDitor (I used the Alex trainer before that). I purchased it yesterday, and am currently impatiently waiting on the key for the guru package. I can't wait to start on this idea I have had! ;)

Long story short, when I get it I plan on making a roster in depth for this game myself. Now I lack Cyberface making talent, so I want to learn how to convert cybers from 2K12 / 2K13- however even without it I think I can get a close rep on the league during that time (though visually it might be a little ehhhh). The goal I want to achieve is create the NBA from 79 - now through drafts, and roster edits. Main reason for this is particularly my interest in leading multiple teams through the Magic / Larry era of the NBA into the Michael Jordan era into now. There are a few rules in doing this though which would need to come with the roster (like the other teams like the Bobcats which didn't exist before hand to not exist till they need to by controlling those teams in your Association), but I am just curious if anyone still plays this enough for me to post any & everything I come up with. :) Thanks for any and all feedback!
wdt92

Re: NBA 1978-1979 Mod

Postby levynagy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 am

I am playing this game and I love it! :) Currently I am on a Dynasty/Association Mode started with thee 1996-1997 season and at the moment I am in my second season (1997-1998). I play with the Suns. I pretty much changed everything from the original 1996-1997 mod made & posted on this site by others. It needed to be changed because 90% of it was far off from reality. I grew up with those NBA seasons and I know a lot about the real players who were in the game. In conclusion, it took me at least 4 months to make this game work. The only thing I miss is updates for cyberfaces and player portraits in my game. For the 1st I don't have the full Reditor which allows you to handle draft class files, and for the 2nd the only apps that manipulate portraits were made for Win XP while I am on Win7 64.

If you ever get your hands on the full version of Reditor and have some spare time you could help me with my little project. I launched the invitation on this forum to anybody who wants to help me with the draft classes updates regarding CFs. Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=135&t=90263

I wish you good luck with your work and keep us informed about your progress, NBA 2K11 still is the best game ever made! (Y)
levynagy

NBA 2K11 Mod(s) Trials

Postby wdt92 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Very glad to hear someone else is playing the game! Sorry for taking a little while to reply, I've been pretty swamped with school & focus my free time on trying to figure out these files and how they work. Interestingly, I found the game glitches the more I mess with stuff (I suppose it's probably not a learn by doing situation). Haha. Mainly I find problems striking in Association mode in my rosters as now I have to enter quick game before starting one. If I don't, the game crashes. Sad day. So ignoring this, I continued trying to mess around with the roster so I can create my idea of playing multiple eras and ran into a few problems. The courts are interestingly disappearing at times, and also jerseys seem to disappear when I try to change team names. Not sure why... Finally for some reason I lost jersey ids. Oh well, enough whining. I really like the endless potential the game has! :)

So upon starting to edit stuff I found the game has a few 50s & 60s players stored. I'm considering instead of jumping to the 80s, perhaps starting with that era as it is only 8 teams to about 17 teams maximum (in Wilt's retiring year). I'm not sure though how to go about deleting players. So if someone can help explain this to me, it would be great!

Thanks for the interest in my post, by the way Levy! I'm new to the editing deal, but it is pretty fun to learn stuff. I'd love to help you out with your draft classes. I'll PM you. :)
wdt92

Postby levynagy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 pm

There's a lot to learn and to do about 2K11! You will have to read everything other patchers did on this forum to be prepared to do such a big project.

I did some editing stuff myself just to make my Association mode playable but then while I played a few games I found other issues regarding non-realism of the roster pack (it was done by others who created the 1996-1997 mod). It's a good thing we can edit players in the game during Association though but then it also means the actual roster pack stays un-editable because it serves as a base for the game (once you start a season/assoc mode you're done). For example I started my Association and later in the game I found out Bobcats is playing also in D-league...which of course means they use the same players who gets exhausted and injured - and now it is too late to change that, I mean even if I change it will show up only if I start another Association game. And so on... ;)

A few useful editing resources for you:
http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=75632
http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=81511
levynagy

Postby levynagy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 pm

And one more thing, you can "hide" a player in your roster file instead of deleting him. Change the player's ID that you want to remove from the team to -1 on the teams tab.
levynagy

Postby wdt92 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks man! That helps a lot! ;) I forgot about hiding a player. Before I do, I kind of want to check and see if there is a way to edit player cards and histories. :) See I want to delete and re-add players because I want to get rid of player histories. I can't figure out how to edit them, and if I can't edit them- I'd rather they be gone.

So, for example, if lets say I want to add Wilt and put him over say Jrue Holiday on the file. I can edit everything about the new Wilt Chamberlain except Jrue's player card history. That will permanently be attached to Wilt Chamberlain. I, as a perfectionist when it comes to things, don't like that in the slightest. I want the mods I mess with (and create), and files I mess with to be as accurate as possible (even if it has to start everyone from scratch sadly). :)
wdt92

Postby levynagy on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm

You're welcome and yes, I know what you mean. It is a long hard work to do but enjoyable. Just make sure you won't get any kind of conflicts with your roster files. For example a missing or wrong CF will make your game crash in some cases; also player cards used to cause crashes especially with 2K12. Oh and btw, I really hope people will come back to play 2K11 and use your stuff as soon as they realize 2K doesn't make games like this anymore.
levynagy

Postby wdt92 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:01 am

Main thing is remembering what CFs I use, and remake. I have been editing a lot of 2K12 CFs to work with 2K11, so guys like MJ in 2003 has his correct portrait, and correct CF. Also figuring out how to upload all this stuff & how to take pictures to showcase what is up with everything. :P Due to lack of Portrait space though, I've found I will have to cut it into different eras with multiple files. So for say late '50s-'early 70s (what I'm calling the Russell / Wilt era) would be one folder file. Then '70s - late '80s (Kareem era) would be one, '80s-early '90s (Magic / Bird era), mid '80s-'00s (MJ era), etc. Basically trying to make it from where you want to start is the idea, and I think you can go as far as you want as my draft files won't have portraits. The reason for this, is because I figured out from my 2003 draft class that I downloaded from here has portraits and you can't scout those players, and when they're drafted they lose those portraits.

So, if you have suggestions for starting years I'm happy to listen. :) Mainly I want to hit first years, but I can hit other years too if requested. I'm already actually considering redoing NBA 2K10's year because I don't like how 2K10 plays, and I was a huge fan of that year for the hype of LBJ & Shaq together. Defense is too hard for me though in the game itself. :P However, just emphasis, this would require multiple files for this to work for me as an editor (as I am not good at messing with the TIT editor from MLB 2K10). :(

Anyway, this is where I'm at in the idea. I've been messing with files to create the '50s first. I'm starting @ 1957 which was Russell's first year and planning on editing it by drafts from there to now. For those not knowing the league only had 8 teams that year though, so for it to be effective to be played in Association, us as players must control the other teams and use them to create the expansion draft when necessary for teams as they enter the league. I am still convinced you need REDitor to fully benefit the era mods (especially this one) as team changes happened a lot (Warriors moved from Phili to San Fran, 76ers came to Phili, Royals changed from Rochester to Cincinnati, Lakers moved, etc.) and for new coaches entering the league to take over (unless I can find a way to recreate Mark Jackson in the game [he randomly comes after 2 or 3 years in the normal game]). Luckily for me, the game already has a few portraits and CFs, which I think many still use in 2K12 from what I've seen (as the 2K12 rosters just usually use 60s legends, etc. til Magic & Bird). However, judging just from how it looks: they're from later in their careers. I hope that doesn't bother people in continuation.
Last edited by wdt92 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:08 am

Sorry for double posting, but just by Eras alone: now that I've narrowed down by that way instead of time, I have 5 time frames to start from outside of the 3 I already had (1992 mod [Going to be Shaq era start], 2003 mod [Gonna be LBJ / D-Wade / Durant era start], and 2011 actual game). So judging from that maximum, assuming I can stay devoted to the idea and can do what I have in my head- there will be 8 mods &/or rosters total when I'm finished. The eras I've concluded at the moment to have is done by the mainstay championship individual's career by his starting year and I will try and make it so you can continue from whatever starting place to current day by drafts and including talent by the year (Haslem entering the league, Ivan entering the league, etc.):

1.) "Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain era." Starting in 1957 ideally going through to 1972+ (Wilt's retirement year IRL).
2.) "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar / Julius Erving era." Starting in 1970 ideally going through 1989+ (retirement year of Kareem IRL).
3.) "Magic Johnson / Larry Bird era." Starting in 1980 ideally going through 1993+ (Bird's retirement year IRL).
4.) "Michael Jordan era." Starting in 1985 ideally going through 2003+ (MJ's final retirement year IRL).
5.) "Kobe Bryant / Tim Duncan era." Starting in 1997 ideally going through Current.

It will hopefully further include:
1.) Editing with complete original credit to the 1991-1992 mod created by iPrototype. This will be the beginning of the Shaquille O'Neal era of the NBA. Unlike the previous it will start before his rookie year, including MJ's second year running for the gold.
2.) Editing with complete original credit to the 2002-2003 mod created by inbar. The file will be used as Michael Jordan's last year, but also as the beginning era of Dwyane Wade (mid 2000s) and LeBron James (2010s).
3.) Editing to the original 2011 roster up to starting date of October 26, 2010 (with all talent correctly put in place and added) so you can recreate your own association from the intended dates of 2K11.

Thoughts? Ideas? :)
wdt92

NBA "Eras" Mods

Postby wdt92 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:29 am

1991-1992 mod "Shaquille O'Neal era" {Preview}

Shaquille O'Neal

Alonzo Mourning *Still has slight black arms. I'm trying to make it look better by matching to his skin color..

Latrell Sprewell

Barkley's Player Card (Andre Iguodala history) *Hopefully fixable.

Barkley Ratings After Edit

Charles Barkley Cyberface

I have finished these guys and took some screen caps so people can see some of the end results I'm working with (so it doesn't just sound like lip service, or a pipe dream).

*Rookie cyberface credit to Hawk23 & those involved with UBR for NBA 2K12. I converted it to NBA 2K11 as no one in NBA 2K11 that I've found made a correct CF for those years.
**Roster arrangement credit for this file given to iPrototype for his 1992 mod. I've edited distinctly tendencies, and ratings, but the actual work he put into the file with cyberfaces, jerseys, courts, shooting styles, and portraits.
***Credit to Filedawg for his charts on ratings that I use often as a scale, and in most cases I agree with his work statistically. Very rarely have I had to change anything.

Much appreciate the work already from everyone! Hopefully no one is upset with me using this stuff. If so, please contact me. I'll take it out/down. :)
wdt92

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 am

it's good to read that !
yes, imo too, 2K11 is the best basketball game, the best sport game at this day.

better graphics than 2K12, and 2K13, better AI, better feelings.

just one thing about your project, i've found on internet many draft rosters (and reupload here ) ... i used to start the association mode with 1991/92 mod, but at the end of the 90's, u can be sure that my game crash, without explanation :? :cry:
i play on european 1.0.1.1 version (original DVD)

wish you the best for your big project (Y)
sticky-fingers

Re: NBA "Eras" Mods

Postby wdt92 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks Sticky! I appreciate your support here. :)

I find it odd the game crashed. I'll try and simulate multiple years after I get more draft classes done and see if it is just European version, or perhaps the draft classes themselves. The main thing I've noticed is the game crashes if CFs aren't correct or loaded in the game. That could also be it if you don't have the same Cyberfaces as the uploaded draft class. If they crash for mine too, it may put a damper on the whole project! :( I've played 4 years before on NBA 2K11 so I thought that it would work fine with more years than that. Thanks for the heads up about it! I'll update and say how the sim goes to try it out. (Y)
wdt92

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:00 am

Be sure i'll follow this thread, i'm very interested by your project.
sticky-fingers

Postby wdt92 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm

So I simmed a few years, and the game crashed 2/3 times I went beyond the standard two years most people play in association from my observations. It is odd to me, but I am convinced it is because of the simming over playing the years (as I did in my association experiences previous). So it is kind of discouraging so far messing further with this stuff for long term intention. :( Nonetheless, I'm going to continue working on stuff and hopefully finish a full team for each mod & the following draft class year before the end of next week. No promises with my schedule in school, but it's my goal. :) I'll post some more pics of progress, and news, tomorrow or friday. Hoping to complete Phili in the 92 "Shaq" era, and have the 2010-2011 roster up to October by then (as I'm starting from Default). :)
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Some thing I am not good at, and could use help in if someone would like to do so- is shot tendencies (as in actual forms). Visually, while I can watch games and pick up tendencies of players to do certain things like shoot or drive (mostly due to having mysynergy for a while), I am awful at picking good forms and such for players. Mostly I just copy from the players form in the game itself. For some of us playing the game, I recognize this cosmetic is a big deal though, so I would like to say if anyone is good at going through that stuff- please feel free! Further, if someone is good at picking up tendencies (like how often players should hook, etc) without the statistics (as is the case for everything behind 2001 I believe) I also wouldn't mind help on that. Thanks! :)
wdt92

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Sorry, can't help for that :oops:
My knowledge of NBA begins in the nineties (VHS times... great memories), stop at the end of the MJ era, and restart 3 years ago :|
sticky-fingers

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Any news wdt92 ?
sticky-fingers

Postby wdt92 on Sun May 05, 2013 4:06 am

Yeah, I have been working privately on these in hopes to finish for personal use, as well as showcase a more finished product in the Release & Download section in a new post. Also this approach without too many time constraints set by myself publicly (I am bad to do that) allowed my school work get the deserved focus and time. Long story short, I probably will discontinue the majority of this project. I actually really don't want to either for my own selfish reasons of wanting to create a UBR type roster for 2K11- but so many factors have hindered my working on a lot of this. It sounds really excuse ridden and a bailout, but I have had terrible luck with the game recently. Sometime last week my game started chipping and now is missing a complete part of the center of the disc. This is all apparently because of overuse on my end (OOPS! I didn't know they actually did that). Then not far behind that (I think it was a day, may have been two) most of the files got corrupted in different ways (I.E. my 2011 file, my 1997 file, my 1992 file, my 1980 file, and 1985 file). I still am unfamiliar with why they were reacting the way they were. Seemingly from everything I read: no one else had experiences similar with these games. The 2011 file had 4 Ricky Rubio's. The game made clones and placed them on different teams, and the file itself only had one appropriately put in the Free Agency in the databanks. The 1992 file wouldn't play any play now games. The game just crashed immediately, and I after checking literally every part of the teams I was playing: I couldn't figure out why. All the pieces were there, and from past experiences the game only crashes when things were missing. The stories go on for the others with things like this being consistent problems.

So ultimately discouraged, I decided to try one more time on the files (redownload a 2011 & 1992 roster file, and create completely new files for the rest) and start over. Then my 1956 file (which had no previous problem) and draft classes started acting up recreating players, and having jerseys go white. Frustrated, I ended up just giving up until: last night. Which, after being inspired by playoff games, I worked a little on roster stuff, but nothing serious. Now I am trying to edit some again (though with a much smaller spectrum). I think I'll probably shorten the leash for me (and the game itself), and focus my attention on completing just 91-92, 02-03, and 10-11. They are the most complete in my roster files now, and while I am far behind where I was in the 91-92 & 10-11 (86 players // 10 coaches were finished for 10-11 & 45 players // 16 coaches for 91-92) those three are the easiest to recreate with the basketball-reference stats. Sorry if I got your hopes up, but at this point after putting multiple hours in the mods just for them to crash- I don't feel I want to do that again. :( So if people are cool with those 3 years (though I am not sure why with the rosters, they're posted all over this site. I downloaded 2 of the 3 twice actually) and some draft classes coming with them, I'll post those results periodically.

I know it sounds like an excuse, and that does bother me personally: cause I don't like excuses at all. However, I sadly can't help the game chipping. I may buy a new disc and try again on a big project like this; but it's more and more doubtful as my college career is getting more and more into courses I want to take (with big assignments). For related news, I still won't mind helping someone who needs help with any specifics though in this game. I am good mostly at roster editing with numbers and statistics, and I can dabble in cyberface transferring from 2K12 / 2K10 (don't know why with 2K10) to 2k11 game files. :)

Sorry again if I got hopes up with this project, it really wasn't my attention, and I wish I could finish. I am actually pretty discouraged that right now, I can't. :(
wdt92

Postby levynagy on Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 am

That's sad... Yeah, I kinda told you earlier: 2K11 gives conflicts when wrong edits are being done to the roster file. Even if every file is in there, there could me a minor ID conflict in the roster/association file and the game will crash. I am quite lucky my game never crashed so far looking at the amount of editing in my game. :)

I will probably need your help with editing my draft classes - and I'm not sure if can you edit rookie CFs in association files? :roll:
levynagy

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 am

very bad news :?
sticky-fingers

Postby wdt92 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:09 am

Levy, I actually am not sure about editing in Association files. Do you have Alec's Trainer? That can edit at any point for sure, and I used it before I got REDitor. I'll PM you and we can discuss it further. :) Anyway, my 2K11 disc finally broke due to overuse, and I bought 2K12 so I've been playing it (since I don't have to edit anything Roster wise thanks to UBR. WOO laziness ;P). Sadly I deleted my 2K11 files cause of space. I wish I thought ahead cause I could've gave you guys the draft classes for 1991-1992, 2003-2004, and 2011-2012. Stupid me for forgetting about doing this stuff. If you need anything with REDitor edits though, or even trainer edits, I can still do it. Just be sure to PM me about it. ;) I am pretty bad with my memory to check posts.
wdt92

Postby levynagy on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 am

Thanks. I PM-ed you back. I intend to make the 2002-2003 roster right and play individual seasons instead of association cause I hate how the PC handles the teams, the draft and players progress in general. So instead of working hard for every draft which later will get ruined by the computer and because it is dangerous to edit the association file itself (I just damaged mine), I will make roster files for each season and play full seasons without trades with historically accurate players. :)
levynagy

Return to NBA 2K11