Dear LiveJournal,

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Dear LiveJournal,

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Pdub wrote:Is that one of the original ones? The xbox premium that doesn't have an hdmi port?

Not sure, i thought it had one but maybe not.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby JaoSming on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:58 pm

ugh, harddrive issues

my 400gig external that I've had since 2006ish wasn't working, bought a new external enclosure and the drive isn't even spinning up
I think/hope that my wife's 1.5tb has it backed up on there, but I really forget (and we can't find its power cord, of course)

Then, just barelysuck it ben, I said it, my computer blue screened. Run the Windows repair, check the advanced details after that failed and the only directory I recognized was from my D drive, aka my previous computer's harddrive. Sure enough, take it out and the thing boots.
So, I have no idea if this will spin up or not. The enclosures I have are IDE only, so I'll need to buy a new SATA one. Probably getting my own large backup after this, and the wife is appropriately researching Cloud services she thinks I will let on my computer (newp).

So yea, Crysis 3 is pretty.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby formx on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:43 pm

JaoSming wrote:ugh, harddrive issues

my 400gig external that I've had since 2006ish wasn't working, bought a new external enclosure and the drive isn't even spinning up
I think/hope that my wife's 1.5tb has it backed up on there, but I really forget (and we can't find its power cord, of course)

Then, just barelysuck it ben, I said it, my computer blue screened. Run the Windows repair, check the advanced details after that failed and the only directory I recognized was from my D drive, aka my previous computer's harddrive. Sure enough, take it out and the thing boots.
So, I have no idea if this will spin up or not. The enclosures I have are IDE only, so I'll need to buy a new SATA one. Probably getting my own large backup after this, and the wife is appropriately researching Cloud services she thinks I will let on my computer (newp).

So yea, Crysis 3 is pretty.

What companies are the hard drives, and when did you buy them? I know that Western Digital has pretty long warranties for some items. One of my hard drives had the same problem as yours, but WD had a 5 year warranty on my drive (Caviar Black) and I was able to replace it. So might be good to check. :)

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby JaoSming on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 pm

well, if its 5 years then I missed by a month (says February 24, 2008).

the 400gig says 06441, which according to http://www.bugaco.com/calculators/seagate_date_code.php means May 1, 2006
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby formx on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

JaoSming wrote:well, if its 5 years then I missed by a month (says February 24, 2008).

the 400gig says 06441, which according to http://www.bugaco.com/calculators/seagate_date_code.php means May 1, 2006

Well many drives have different amount of years for warranty. Just my specific model happens to be 5 years. Could be more or less for you.

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby JaoSming on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 pm

So, never transferred my music off the old hard drive.

Fuck.

Also, my virtualdub presets were on there too......this is only going to get more painful.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:55 am

Wtf? People still use virtualdub?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 am

what should I use? videopad doesn't like fraps recordings. And since I have it setup so I dont need to edit anything when I record, I just convert the fraps and upload.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby el badman on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:08 am

Just learned that my recently purchased house is starting to have a termite problem, and that those fuckers are particularly voracious in this region. Gotta spend 1700 bucks to fix the issue for the whole house, awesome.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:51 pm

Awesome. We got a quote of about 6-7 thousand to fumigate our house to get rid of the termites.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby el badman on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 am

Yeah, we're "lucky" that the issue is not as bad as other houses in the area, with the foundations already all fucked up and everything. When that happens, they apparently give out estimates of up to 50k sometimes, because they basically need to bulldoze through the whole thing. Better off trying to sell the fucking house at that point...
Stupid termites, they appear to be one of those seemingly utterly useless living creatures on this planet, like mosquitoes or Miami Heat fans.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby JaoSming on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:13 am

So I have now finished my first residency for my psychology graduate program. To try and sum it up easily, it is a non-traditional program while still accredited and all that. Basically I work with 4 mentors and take an individualized course with each. We negotiate what papers or products I will be doing and their due dates....and really that is the entirety of the required structure for the program.
Of course, if you want to get licensed by your state, there are more rules to follow with courses taken, course descriptions, and sometimes the work done and texts used. Since I am in-state though, most of this is already done.

So in all, I set it all up so I do not have any required mid-course due dates, all my courses will end with me sending the mentor/teacher/instructor all my papers and such from the semester at once. For workload, reading is up to me, but I need to prove that I did learn graduate level information of course. Paperwise, this first semester is usually the toughest on papers. 3 of the courses are going to require a healthy 30-40 pages of work, while the last one is going to up in the 50s range.
The first two courses are due in early June, with the other two due in early and late July. Should be fun (Y) (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Stress Fracture on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:43 am

Goodluck, Jao! (Y)
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:42 am

Sounds like it's progressing nicely, albeit with some hard work on the horizon. Best of luck with it, Jon. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 am

So I was just let go just before the probationary period was up at my new job. i can't say im not surprised but im shocked that they gave up so soon. oh well, off to bigger and better things.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Sorry to hear it Q. Like you said though, on to the next opportunity.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:12 pm

So are employers actually allowed to let people go before the probation period? Because I always thought that it had to be a mutual agreement; but maybe that was just with the jobs I had.

Hopefully something better presents itself soon.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Q can answer for his exact situation but I'll assume it's unlikely to be an actual enforced contract (or silly regulatory provision like you guys have) but instead a meaningless designated status. Though Q does live in California. But IIRC that's surprisingly an at-will state. It might still be some "loophole" and that's why they made it semi-official but I even doubt that.

For the most part in the U.S. you can be fired at any time for any reason. (Outside of criminal stuff by the employer, discrimination, etc.) I'd imagine Q's surprise is more about how they didn't bother to give him the entire period since they went through the bother of telling him about the period and setting up the concept. For the most part an employer takes you through to the end of the period because well, they've already set it up and you're already there. Unless something crazy happens and they need to start cutting people, you're shadowgrinning the place up, etc.

You guys have a law in place that from my understanding seems to create an actual legal "probationary period" definition that ties into labor laws. Like I said about Q's place, not knowing California law, I assume it's more of a "job title" than actual legal designation.

EDIT: From checking around regarding California, seems like they are indeed at-will and have no such designations. And the best part is that it looks like the State and their Universities use probationary periods to get around their CBAs.
benji

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Otherwise, employers get stuck with union employees who can get away with bullshitting all the time.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:35 pm

Another union hater. DON'T MAKE ME TAKE DOWN THE SIDEWALK VENDOR WHERE YOU BUY YOUR HOTDOGS PDUB!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:25 am

I'm in the union, but don't hate it. I just don't like the workers who take advantage because it leaves other people to pick up the slack.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:12 am

Pdub wrote:I'm in the union, but don't hate it. I just don't like the workers who take advantage because it leaves other people to pick up the slack.

My last job was a union job and i felt the same way about it. people took advantage of it and it sucked for the people that actually worked hard

and yes, California is an at-will state. the "probationary period" is almost a formality because they can fire you/you can quit at any time for any reason. i was there for about 2 1/2 months and i still felt like i hadn't fit in yet. i was getting stressed out because i felt that the managers didn't think i was doing a good job. I had a different set of skills than what they wanted. they want a workhorse to dump all their boring data entry/excel work on that they don't want to do (or don't have time to do). It wasn't the work i wanted to do, but hey it was work. i was willing to do it because i felt like there was room to grow with the company and i knew eventually i would be able to get into a more creative role but obviously i didn't last long enough to get there.

They said i was probably better fitted for a different position within the company that's more customer oriented and suggested i reapply to be a cashier LOL
fuck that
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Pdub wrote:I'm in the union, but don't hate it. I just don't like the workers who take advantage because it leaves other people to pick up the slack.

Qballer wrote:My last job was a union job and i felt the same way about it. people took advantage of it and it sucked for the people that actually worked hard

This is the entire point of unions, to protect older and worse workers at the expense of everyone else. Well, that, and to skim off the wages of all the employees while colluding with management.

Oh, and originally it was also to keep dark skinned people out of jobs.

Picking up too much of the slack or working too hard should hopefully get you labeled "unmutual" and a friendly lecture because you're stealing from the veteran workers.
benji

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Picking up too much of the slack or working too hard should hopefully get you labeled "unmutual" and a friendly lecture because you're stealing from the veteran workers.

Wrong. It gets you that "good job!" at the end of the day from everybody else who sees it happen, and "great teamwork" from the managers. Then it turns into an expectation while everyone else slacks off because "you can do it." It also gives you leverage. :wink:
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:35 pm

oh yeah skimming off my wages. i forgot about that. they didn't negotiate shit for me as my position was in the minority so no raises for us. union dues... what a waste of money.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic