Rumour: Raptors talking Carter trade

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Rumour: Raptors talking Carter trade

Postby Rens on Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:53 am

This particular one is about Miles and Ilgauskas coming to Toronto, which cannot happen because of Carter's BYC. All hating etc aside what do you think Toronto could get for Carter? Would it be wise to trade him, or to hold on to him?
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Nick on Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:01 am

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap.php
I don't really know what to think...Carter in Cleveland?...ewak...Toronto get some more Centre-ness. Toronto loses fans. It's kinda hard to tell whether carter is worth keeping or not...he's a bit of a see-saw injury guy.

Hmm very interesting...can't imagine it though.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby TheBob on Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:45 am

The trade rumour is bogus it was printed in a poorly respected Toronto news paper. Furthermore, if they were to trade him they would have to get someone back with star potential or someone who is already an established star. Granted Ilgauskas is a talented center but he is injury prone like Vince(the last quality they're looking for in a player comming in return) and I'm just simply not sold on Miles with that horrible FG%.

Now on to what I think they can get in return. I don't believe that the Raps can get anyone of equal value for Carter at this point in his career but they could probably get a good young player like a Wagner packaged with a big salary and a 1st round draft choice. Although that may be a little too much with Wagner in the deal there are few young players who are as sure a thing as him.
TheBob

Postby Bill Russell on Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:05 am

I agree with what everybody said...

Another thing... If Miles and Z are the ones who will go... Then there won't be enough balls to share amongst Carter, Davis and Wagner...
Bill Russell

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:40 pm

Vince Carter's injury problems certainly take away some of his trade value, but the Raptors still wouldn't have to settle for benchwarmers if they decided to trade him. Finding a taker would be difficult, as it would have to be a team that could afford to gamble on an often injured player, and could afford to give up enough to satisfy the Raptors without depleting their own roster (and making the trade for Carter an even bigger gamble).

That eliminates teams like the Knicks (who have had enough problems with injury-prone players) and the Nuggets (who would be glad of the star power and talent Carter brings, but have nothing much to offer). Perhaps a reversal of the 1998 draft day trade, sending Carter to Golden State for Antawn Jamison would work, but that doesn't really accomplish much for either team. Since Jamison is healthy, the Warriors don't really have any incentive to do it.

That's why I don't think Carter will be traded any time soon, unless a team comes along that is willing to take the risk of trading for him, and has suitable players to send in return - and add the salary cap as a factor. Right now, there's no one who answers the description of an ideal partner in a Carter trade that is willing to trade any of their better players.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby GloveGuy on Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:43 pm

I agree with TheBob...the Raptors would have to be crazy to trade Vince for he is their franchise player...Miles has potential but not enough to be an all-star...Ilgauskas is just worthless because he spends more time on the IL than on the court...

...I also think that Vince, once he's back to 100% and finds the heart to step up, will eventually be ranked with T-Mac and Kobe...he just needs more knowledge
GloveGuy

Postby TheBob on Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:52 pm

I agree with Gloveguy except that I don't think he needs more knowledge but more heart and determination. Unfortuantly, I don't think these will come easily. Toronto needs to hire a coach who is an in your face type of guy to bring out the best in Carter, they also need to send his mom back to Florida and keep her there.
TheBob

Postby Clinton on Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:08 pm

That's great that you guys are agreeing on everything :D
Clinton

Postby Glyyde on Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:33 pm

got to agree with Andrew, if its not because of his injury, I think carter will be a very good trade bait....that is, if ever Toronto really wants to ship him, or maybe they are tired of him getting injured.....

remember the trade Magic made to get Grant Hill.... they really waited real long for Hill to be healthy and able to play.... this season seems good so far for Hill.... maybe Magic will take this kind of risk again? but they wun have to cap room to do so I believe......
Glyyde

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:50 pm

Who would the Magic give up for Carter though? I doubt they'd give up Hill or McGrady, the kind of players the Raptors would look for in exchange for VC. Orlando's experience with Hill might turn them off taking such a risk again as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Glyyde on Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:50 pm

maybe Mike Miller and Derrel armstrong?

but I highly doubt they will take carter even if carter are not injury prone. Magic already has a very good SF in Hill...... they dun need carter to score for them also as Tmac is there.....
Glyyde

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:56 pm

That wouldn't be a terrible trade especially if Vince is still not 100%, but they'd probably rather get one player that is a bit more talented and has some star power. Beyond his basketball talents and what he brings to the team, he draws fans, as shown by the preliminary All-Star balloting results.

But as you said, the Magic don't really need him, especially if he's injured, so I don't think he's headed to Orlando anytime soon. As I said before, I can't think of any teams that would be interested in having Carter for one of their good players, and be able to execute a trade under the cap.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jowe on Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:41 pm

Perhaps the wizards, if they decide to do a sign and trade involving jerry stackhouse. Maybe throw in a young player into the mix perhaps kwame brown? or brendan haywood :roll:
Fee Nick's Uns [15-10] says:
i'd suck allen iverson's cock any day -
Fee Nick's Uns [15-10] says:
just so i could say i've met allen iverson
Jowe

Postby Glyyde on Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:09 pm

dun think the Wiz will want to do that trade..... they are currently struggling and Stack is their best scorer....... trading their top scorer for a injured player will only hurt their team.....

I have to agree with andrew yet again.... there isn't any team that will be able to make a trade with Toronto unless Toronto are willing to just get a few players to free cap room for this season end and throw their miserable season away once and for all..... but still, not much team will wants to take an injured Vince.....
Glyyde

Postby TheBob on Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:41 am

Well trading Carter this season is close to imposssible this season due to his base year status (or something) and Grunwald has officially denied it, saying that Carter is "untradeable"
TheBob

Postby bishibashiboy on Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:38 am

Is there any truth at all that Carter isn't happy in Toronto as reported by that paper??
I do remember reading a while back about someone affiliated with the team being unhappy with Carter's work ethic..but I'm not sure if Carter is unhappy too..anybody know anything about that?
bishibashiboy

Postby TheBob on Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:41 am

Well it wouldn't surprise me if the organization and players weren't happy with his work ethic but as for him being unhappy I've never heard anything up untill now, in fact I've heard he's sverely coddled by the Raps.
TheBob

Postby scubilete on Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:19 am

Golden State should offer something for Carter, including that Player they got in first round called Mike Dunleavy who is suppose to be better than what he's showing. Golden state could also offer some other players without getting rid of Antawn and then we would watch if GS can win some more games
scubilete

Postby TheBob on Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:57 am

I've heard that there's been talk between Toronto and Golden State however these talks did not concern Carter. They centered around a deal that would send Hakeem's contract and another player in exchange for Fortson and either Welsh or Dunleavy.
TheBob

Postby DK on Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:02 pm

TheBob wrote:I've heard that there's been talk between Toronto and Golden State however these talks did not concern Carter. They centered around a deal that would send Hakeem's contract and another player in exchange for Fortson and either Welsh or Dunleavy.

That seems pretty dumb, giving up a great rebounder and a promising youngster (who is not producing right now but you gotta wait a season or 2) for a retired player and an un-named bench warmer.
DK

Postby Bill Russell on Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:21 pm

DK, it seems there was talk, earlier in the season, about trading Fortson for Mo Pete...

Now if they wanna include Hakeem's salary and someone else for Fortson and Dunleavy/Welsch, I dunno...
Bill Russell

Postby TheBob on Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:22 pm

Well it's really not that dumb because Fortson is stuck on their bench and Dunleavy has been a HUGE disapointement so far. On the other side the reason why they'd want Hakeem is not for the player but because his contract ends soon and it would give them more cap flexibility.
TheBob

Postby Rens on Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:41 am

Raptors don't need Fortson when they have Bradley :D He's gonna be a good player once he gets some more experience. I think the Raptors would sooner trade Davis or fire Wilkins than do anything else. The Raptors should hire Jeff Van Gundy and get a nice swing player or center for Davis :roll:
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby scubilete on Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:52 am

I might agree with you Dan about Getting Van Gundy there, that way Toronto would start as a defensive team also Lenny Wilkens is trying to stay with those players and I don't think they're getting anywhere like that. Davis is not supposed to be a Center, has no body to guard other Centers, so they should get a Center of Attention, taking Davis back to PF or trading him would make that team considerable now that they lost Keon Clark, that's what they should do. How about giving Zhi Zhi Wang a chance, I've seen a lot of people here saying he was good in china, so maybe Toronto should give him a try getting him.
scubilete

Postby DK on Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:01 am

I know Dunleavy isn't doing shit but he hasn't been there one year and if they want to get rid of him they should wait becasue his stock is really low and a few good games might make him a lot more appealing.

And the lowering cap thing for Denver is useless becasue we all saw what happened with Chicago, a great and historic b-ball city, so Denver won't have any use for all that free money they have.
DK

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball