Daniel Diary Season 2 - Still a Rocket

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Daniel Diary Season 2 - Still a Rocket

Postby Alphasim on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm

This is the chronicle of Rick Daniel, a 6’2” scoring point guard from Akron.

I’m playing on Pro difficulty in 5 minute quarters.

I’m also going to be running this in first person, FYI. Let’s get it on!

--

My career started after a 23 point, 3 assist 2 rebound Rookie Showcase, for which I was rewarded by being drafted 16th by Houston. Great, I get to ride the pine behind Linsanity. Fun! Actually, this is a good thing because I’ll need someone to cover for my growing pains in my first year or so.

The first half of the season went poorly. After two (key) games , my jumper abandoned me – without even saying goodbye! I went over a month without hitting a single three. My best play involved shaking J-Kidd, who was apparently traded to the Mavs, out of his shoes. Unfortunately it led to a pass to a teammate who blew a layup. In fact, that’s my biggest issue at the moment. My damned teammates blow the easy shots I set up for them so I can’t even play facilitator! Oh well, on we play.

Come February, I made the roster of the Rookie/Sophomore game, and seeing as how I’m averaging 2.6 points and 1.2 assists, and starting this game, I don’t think it’s possible to miss out on this game. Anyway, I started at shooting guard next to Kyrie Irving (being a RL Cavs fan, this thrilled me to no end) and had a mediocre game. This was during my no-threes stretch though, so I tried to set up other players and pass on long range shooting. That’s obviously foreshadowing, btw.

I sat with us down a few points in the fourth quarter and came back to start overtime. Overtime?? Yeah! I played a few minutes before getting pulled with us up 2. I came back to this.

Down a point with 7.5 seconds to go, and they have the ball. An intentional foul led to two free throws to put us down three. Now we had to hit a three to tie the game. I know one person who has no business…

Oh no. What am I thinking?!

D’AAAAARRGGHH! I knew better! I knew I was ice cold from deep! I cost us the game! CURSES!

--

The second half of the season went a little better, partially because I worked out the kinks in my jumper by doing a lot of practice drills. My favorite highlight involved playing the Grizzlies in Memphis.

We were up two with time winding down and the Grizz had the ball. Specifically, Mike Conely had the ball. Emphasis on ‘had.’

I picked his pocket and cruised to a layup to seal the game. The second half of the season saw me playing allot of shooting guard next to Jeremy Lin which was just fine by me. I averaged about 10 points a game in the Key Games that I played in the last month of the year and made the All-Rookie 3rd team. We also made the playoffs, taking the 8th seed which pits us against the Clippers, and more importantly for me, Chris Paul. Wish me luck!
Last edited by Alphasim on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Die-hard Cleveland sports fan for 30+ years -- Not recommended for the faint of heart
Alphasim

Re: The Daniel Diary - The Story of Rick Daniel's Rise to Po

Postby Alphasim on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Our series against the Clippers got off to a terrible start.

I ended the season with an appearance on the 2K Sports magazine. I didn't want to let them down by getting knocked out in the first round.

Unfortunately I finished game one with 2 points on 1-8 shooting. I did have 2 rebounds and 3 assists but we got stomped. Game four came around and we were down 3-0, so being swept was a very real possibility. I unleashed my best game as a pro, dueling Chris Paul down the stretch.

He and I went back and forth in the fourth quarter, as he would give them the lead and I would tie the game, either with a basket or an assist. Unfortunately he got a clear layup when I got triple-picked to give the Clips a 3 point lead. I blew my open trey to tie the game at the buzzer and we were done. Damn it all.

--

The next year started with some good bulletin board material. Last place in the power rankings? Oh, boy.

This season started out poorly as well, but come the third game I found myself in the starting lineup (after complaining to the GM about the coach's performance). I helped seal a win with 12 points, 1 assist, 3 rebounds and 2 steals. I actually played shooting guard most of the game which was totally fine by me. I'm actually pretty comfortable playing off the ball, setting back picks and pulling a Rip Hamilton, running off screens to get open.

My starting gig netted me a billboard downtown. I'm almost certain they're jumping the gun, but that's just me.

The next game was against the Trailblazers at home. I again had a decent game, scoring 9 points with 3 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal and a block in 14 minutes, and we won. So for the record, we're 2-0 with me as the starting 2-guard. I think this is the start of a good thing.

I'm currently averaging 8.5 points (3rd on the team) and 3 assists (1st on the team) so even though I didn't feel like I was improving, I'm up on the 3.3 ppg/1.2 apg from last season. Progress!
Die-hard Cleveland sports fan for 30+ years -- Not recommended for the faint of heart
Alphasim

Postby Radioman on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Interesting story so far, i think you already get way better in your stats. Lets see if your Rockets can make the Playoffs once again and maybe have some more success.

Good Luck :wink:
Radioman

Postby Alphasim on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 am

I now have three more games under my belt starting for the Rockets, and they've all been very different. First we played Portland at home, and I was having a sad first half. 0-3 shooting, no assists, no boards. Come the third quarter though, we were still in it, only down 2. I scored six straight points grabbed a few boards and a notched a block.

Here we were inbounding with just a few seconds left in the 3rd.

2.3 seconds left. I never make these long-range prayers. In fact, I don't know that I've yet seen one be made.

So, y'know what? Here, Omer Asik. Have fun.

Yeah. Have fun with that. I'm not killing my already low three-point percentage tossing up random bri...

Oh.

Uh, yeah! I knew he would make it. Assist for me!

We won that game and moved on to play the Pistons in Houston. No pics from this game because it was all around unimpressive for me, visually. I was scoreless but I did hand out a new career high seven assists with no turnovers.

Next up was Miami, again at home. I had an all together forgettable game up to the last half minute. I was 2-11 shooting on the night, and we were tied. With 25 seconds remaining I set a pick for Lin before rolling to the basket.

Made it! Unfortunately that left almost a shotclock worth of time for the Heat, and I knew there were going to Wade, who had gotten hot in the second half by torching me off the dribble.

He slipped me and got this shot off clean.

Luckily for me, he missed it. We're now 5-0 with me starting at shooting guard, and now have the same record as Miami: 5-2. Looks like we're on the rise.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:35 pm

It's been a couple of weeks (in game) since my last update. Here's what's up.

I had a pretty bad stretch during mid-November. I was averaging 10.5 ppg in our losses, while scoring 12 and 0 in our two wins during that stretch. I was shooting 38% form the field which matches my season average.

My big game came against Sacramento at the start of our most recent win streak. I scored a career high 19 points on 8/11 shooting with 1 rebound, 4 assists 2 steals and no turnovers in the victory.

Our most recent game was a victory over the Wizards, and I had 11 points, 3 rebounds with an assist. By the way, I want to go on a little tangent here. I'm a 6'2" weakling and am built to play point guard. The Rockets start me at the 2-guard though. Normally I'm OK with that but I keep having to guard players 6'4" or taller. Needless to say they like to post me up. This is a an all bad thing. Also, I have no hops. Why is that a bad thing?

Because the other team throws an alley oop to my man about once every other game and I can't do squat about it. Actually, Bradley Beal of the Wizards lit me up for the first four scores to start that Wizards game. This is noteworthy because I shut him down the rest of the game and got credit in the post game interview for my defense. Yay for me.

Lastly this pic shows the league leaders in points, rebounds and assists. I think we're doing quite well.

As for me, it's early December now and I'm averaging 8.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg and 2.5 apg in about 14 minutes a game. My rookie season was a wash; I consider myself a 2nd year rookie, so I'm satisfied.
Alphasim

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:19 am

That Asik toss up made me laugh, keep up the good work!
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Alphasim on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 pm

It's been up and down the last week or two. Our recent game against Milwaukee was a definite down.

I scored 14 points, had five assists and shot 6/10, but I got lit the heck up by one Monta Ellis, to the tune of 24 points in 18 minutes, 20 of which came after half time. On one play I blocked his shot with 2 seconds left, and he recovered his miss and three it in the general direction of the rim and it fell. I forced a double-clutch from three quarters court to end the first half from him, and he was unfazed - nothin' but net. He was red hot. No, he was WHITE HOT, almost unfathomably hot. It was unreal :bowdown2: Man I hate Monta now.

As for me, I'm doing stupid things. I haven't made a layup in a month or more, either getting blocked at the rim, or getting blocked BY the rim, or just laying the ball over the rim... I just can't complete the simplest act in the game. It's infuriating. I also had another game where I was trying to pass the ball up the sideline on a fast break but instead I wound up and hurled a football pass into the 38th row. Seriously, it wasn't even over the guy's head! I just turned 90 degrees, faced the crowd and lobbed the ball towards the second deck like it was a t-shirt during a time out. Unbelievable. I have actually had several points recently when I was either so badly outplayed or shot so poorly that I contemplated giving this up.

And then I came home.

Playing in Cleveland is special to me, being from Akron. I grew up following the Cavs so I was looking forward to playing them. They've upgraded from Kyrie Irving to Chris Paul (with Irving still around as CP3's backup) but the rest of their team isn't very good. I faced Dion Waiters at the 2-guard and boy did I have my way.

I scored 11 points in the first half and played a good all-around game. I had one turnover on a failed entry pass to the post but that was it. In the third quarter I didn't shoot while getting my team into the game but I picked up where I'd left off offensively once the fourth quarter started. I scored 9 more points to reach 20 for the first time in my career.

Yay! 20 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and the one turnover on 6/13 shooting in 15 minutes for the easy win, my first 'Good' game rating and my first Player of the Game award. That's a nice homecoming.

Remember where we stood at the start of the season in the power rankings? Yeah, dead last at #30. I'd say we've moved up in the world.

This is noteworthy for RacerX's comment. I have to ask, what @RDaniel is he watching? It's like when I'm shooting a 0/6 and getting torched and my coach pulls me while saying he loves my play so far. So... what? You want me to shoot us out of games and play matador defense? That was the game plan? Again, what game was he watching? It can't be the same ones I'm playing in.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. It's the new year now so I'm playing to make the rookie/sophomore game again this year. Wish me luck!
Last edited by Alphasim on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Well it looks like coming home to Cleveland for a game has given my career a shot in the arm. Since then, my confidence is back, my shot is falling and I'm having fun again.

I've gotten my ball handling down as well finally. It's not like I was sloppy prior but now I'm getting to the rim with relative ease.

I have even developed something of a go to move: cutting towards the baseline at the left of the basket and hitting a fadeaway jumper as I head out of bounds. Oddly (or not) this is a modified version of the go to move I used in NBA 2k11 (also as Rick Daniel), though that was always on the right side of the rim.

Playing the Nets we were down big early, like 19-9 in the 2nd quarter. By halftime though we had cut it to 21-19. In the 3rd I scored four points as we took the lead. I then put up 8 in the 4th as took a one point lead into the final seconds.

This was the situation as time ran down. I forced a pass by Joe Johnson (who I shut down all game) to Deron Williams who blew the shot. We win again, and I finished with 20 points again.

Since playing Cleveland I've scored 20, 16, 9, 12, and 20, shooting over 50% in the process. My team also has been using me to bring the ball up court recently instead of Lin which may hopefully be hinting at a changing of the (point) guard. We will see.
Alphasim

Postby Houndy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Very underrated My Player story, more people should see this. Great so far man
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby akokulit on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:19 pm

I love reading this. Sounds so personal. :applaud:
NBPA CHARITY B-BALL LEAGUE

The most original idea in association stories history ever!
akokulit

Postby Alphasim on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Things are continuing to look up around here. I recently had a career game, scoring-wise, and got some recognition for my work as well.

Playing against Golden State, I was playing OK until the fourth quarter rolled around. At that point we were in a neck-and-neck battle, and the Warriors were blinkin' hot. We needed someone to get equally hot. That someone was me. I pitched in 11 points in 5 minutes, with five jumpers - some tough as hell - and one free throw. I suck at free throws. I just wish I had a screenshot of my best shot of the game. Do you remember that 'go-to' move I mentioned? I pulled off again in the first half of this game, this time from three point territory. In the end, it was another Player of the Game award and I scored a career high 24 points and had 4 assists as well.

I thought I'd show you part of the secret to our success: our game opening 'play.' We run this every game where we win the tip, and we almost always win the tip. Lin brings the ball up court every game while Kevin Martin and I spot up on opposite sides of the wing every game.

Next, Lin passes the ball to K-Mart every game...

... he immediately shoots (every game, mind you)...

... and he makes it almost every game. That means we start almost every game with a 3-0 advantage. It kind of helps our chances a little.

I played alright against Indiana, scoring 14 points with 2 rebounds and 2 assists (plus 1 turnover) but the big news this game came after the game.

I was told I had been selected as conference player of the week for the week prior, where I was averaging 18.3 points a game while shooting 53% from the field. Not bad, says I. In fact, I'd call that pretty good.

Not THIS good, mind you. MVP race? Really? I'm like the fourth best guy on my team and... oh. All the players above me on the team are... also on the list. OK, that looks rigged. Anyone else?

We're currently sitting at 29-12 with a five game lead on San Antonio in our division, and a sizable lead on everyone in our conference save for Oklahoma City. Speaking of the Thunder...

Guess who we play next? It's the battle for the west, and I can't wait.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Here we go, the Big West Showdown!

We're in OKC tonight, which doesn't really bug me. I don't feel any on-court pressure in road games personally.

James Harden? What are you doing on that side of the line, man? Oh, right.

I only made one of my first four shots (seen here) before being effectively frozen out of the offense for the rest of the first half. I never got to touch the ball in the 2nd quarter, during which the Thunder played all back ups and grew a 30-17 lead. Ouch.

Kendrick Perkins put me on my rear on this screen for a Harden three. He (Harden) and I had a duel in the 4th - just how I liked it. This mattered only because we had gone on a big run in the 3rd quarter to tie it at 52... until Eric Maynor untied it at the buzzer with a three. So, to catch up, we're down three heading into the fourth quarter after facing a 13 point hole in the first half.

Just proof that my go-to move is still money in the bank.

I was keeping Harden out of the paint most of the game until this play halfway through the 4th quarter. This gave the Thunder a two point lead. We would tie, they'd take a two point lead, and this would happen over and over until something broke the stalemate.

That something was me hitting a three. It definitely wasn't a defensive stop, that's for sure. It also wasn't a big defensive board for us, because we couldn't get one to save our lives. This last part is pertinent because we got three stops with under a minute to go but couldn't grab the rebound, so Russel Westbrook finally got a short-range jumper to fall, putting them up 1 with under four seconds to go.

You would think I'd know better by now. I've been cold most of the game before hitting a few open shots in the last few minutes. I've missed every buzzer beater I've taken in my career. I missed that game winner in last year's rookie/sophomore game. I should know better.

Still, I'm playing better then I ever have. Maybe this is the time. Maybe this is the start of my legend, my first major entry on my career highlight film. The ball hit it's peak and came down...

.. aaaaaaaand it hit the rim and bounced away harmlessly. Wonderful.

I'm not sure if Asik here is shocked I took the shot or amazed at some dent I put in the rim. Oh well. Better luck next time, right?
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:51 pm

It's been awhile! How have I been? Quite well, actually.

First off, I got beat up in two meeting with Portland. Why? Because Nickolas Batum is big.

Like, just too big for me. He took me down on the low post to score over and over again. Whenever I'd call for help he'd pass the ball off for a score. We still won both games, though.

In our second meetings, I drove the lane for a layup.

I made it! OMG I made a layup!

I'm even pumped in-game. Nice.

I had perhaps my most complete game in a loss to the Hawks. I racked up 17 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists with no turnovers on over 50% shooting. It wasn't enough though we - like I said - lost.

Oh boy. Oooooooooh boy. This can't end well. I know for a fact I can't stop Kobe, and I'm pretty sure he can stop me. This won't be pretty.

Sure enough, Kobe was a handful and a half. The old guy has a never-ending bag of scoring tricks.

Luckily for me, I proved to be a tough mark too.

Taking a step-back dribble...

... before pulling up...

... and drilling the shot.

I don't think Bryant leaned the first time. Let's do that again.

Done.

Take notes, son. That's how you do it.

I've also gotten my go-to move to start falling all over the court. Nice, huh?

Boom! We win and I get Player of the Game. I scored 19 points with 3 rebounds and 2 steals on 9/11 shooting. Kobe shot 9/20, with the same number of treys as me (1) on five more tries (6 to 1). He also made 6 free throws to my none, which was the difference in our scoring. I win! I beat the Mamba! ... I think.

In other news, I am now 10th in the league in scoring with 10.8 ppg. Kevin Martin leads the league with 17.2, almost 5 ppg more then the next highest scorer. So who am I above on the scoring charts? Well, my teammate Jeremy Lin (10.6) for one, as well as Brandon Jennings (10.4) and Kevin Love (9.9). Oh and one Kobe Bryant (9.7).

Yeah, I think I 've arrived.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm back! Who forgot about me, huh? Come on, you can admit it - you forgot about me. Well, I'm back, and here's what I've been up to.

My stroke's still there, as evidenced by this shot against Denver. I'm actually 8th in the league in scoring now. However, it's come at the expense of my point guard-ing. I recently got the chance to play point guard for three whole plays... and shot the ball twice. Dunce! One time I had this huge lane to the rim and I would have been an idiot not to take it, and the second time I was open but... that's not point guard material. No wonder I'm starting at shooting guard. I'm a PG like Allen Iverson was a PG - just too short to play anywhere else.

Hey, guess who was very happy to see me again? I got TORCHED by Kobe in LA. It wasn't him hitting crazy shots, or his handling skills - it was his movement without the ball. He would elude me and get an open shot time and again. Very frustrating.

Next up was the last game before he All-Star break and we were in Golden State. I want to say, after guarding and trying to score on Kobe, Klay Thompson was like a gift from the heavens, made to be abused.

Nope! Not shooting that one.

He just watches as I blow by him - a reoccurring theme.

Hey look, I can dunk!

Oh, wait. No I can't. Not by a long shot.

Layups are still 2 points, right?

At the end of the game they asked me this question. I'll answer it as I would have liked to.

To paraphrase Tyson Chandler, I couldn't have won this award without Klay Thompson playing matador defense and letting me score at will. This award's for you, Klay.

I got this question at the end of the Lakers game. Huh? Say wha?

Oh yeah, I made the Rising Stars game. Don't get my hopes up!!

See? I'm not an All-Star.

I'm not even... a... wait. WTF? I did it! I am an All Star! Yay! You'll have to excuse me, I have a little party to throw. For myself. I'll catch up with you all again after the All-Star Break.
Alphasim

Re: The Daniel Diary: Rick Daniel's Rise to Power - Season 2

Postby Alphasim on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:18 pm

For a change I recorded a game, this one against Boston in Houston. I narrate as I play, and just as a forewarning I get a little moody at the end when I feel like the game ripped me off. Also there is some fairly minor swearing. Enjoy, and let me know what I can do better.

Watch it here

BTW: next real post will contain the All-Star festivities. Promise.
Alphasim

Re: The Daniel Diary - Season 2: Game Video!

Postby Alphasim on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:46 pm

All- Star Weekend! Yes, it's here. Or was here. It's over now obviously but let's flash back for a moment.

I got to start the Rising Stars game and kicked it off with 3 points and 3 assists in the first quarter when it dawned on me that I'm not here for my play making - I'm here because I score.

So score I did, with 8 points in the 2nd quarter. I finished with 16 points, 5 assist and three treys hit. Now to the big game.

Proof that I did, in fact, make the All-Star game. I even got to play a little.

Here's my first play on defense. Lucky me - posted up by Melo, a guy like 5 inches taller and umpteen pounds heavier.

I did well though, harassing him into a miss.

I even got the rebound. This was my lone mark in the box score, since I only played 3 minutes. That is, if you don't count my 0-2 shooting. Hey, I was the 12th man on the squad for a reason.
Alphasim

Re: The Daniel Diary - Season 2: Game Video!

Postby Alphasim on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm back everyone, and I'm in trouble. I'm in the doghouse. I screwed up.

I had a really bad game the other day against the Clippers. 5-13 shooting isn't terrible, my 3 turnovers weren't even a season high, and I scored 13 points. It was all of the little things, the constant screw ups on defense, the 5 fouls, the seeming lack of hustle that got Coach McHale mad at me. Oh, and I might have bumped the shooting button near half court. On accident. Coach frowns on 50 foot jumpers with 20 seconds on the shot clock.

Whatever you want to attribute it to, I kind of forgot after the game when I was recognized as March's Player of the Month. Yes! That's two Player of the Weeks and one Player of the Month to go with my All-Star selection in my sure-to-be Most Improved Player campaign. Heck, I might just edge into the MVP discussion - I'm already 3rd on the list, behind teammates Lin and Kevin Martin. I was so stoked that I forgot Coach saying he was cutting my playing time for that last game. That is, until we played the Clips again the next day.

The game started, and I sat. I got benched!! NOOOOOO! It killed my confidence. I was walking on eggshells every time I took the floor this game, trying to show I was a good teammate and responsible player so I could have my spot back. I ended up with 7 points and 6 assists on 3-5 shooting and no turnovers. The 7 points I scored broke my 30 game double digit scoring streak, dating back to the end of December.

Next game, we played our rivals, the Thunder. Again I rode the pine, but this time I got extended burn in a really tight 4th quarter. We were down 2, we tie, we'd go down 2, rinse, lather, repeat. I got into a showdown with James Harden while playing the point, instead of Lin, and bullied us to a tight win. I scored 10 points on 4-7 shooting with 4 assists and 1 turnover. Why, though, didn't Lin come in to relieve me in such a tight spot? I know I was playing good but if nothing else I should have been slid over to the 2-spot. Turns out, Lin was having a really bad game - 2 points and 4 turnovers on 1-7 shooting. He was contributing elsewhere (3 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals) but my ball security and scoring were apparently more needed on this night.

Now, to see if I can get my starting gig back.
Alphasim

Re: The Daniel Diary - Season 2

Postby Alphasim on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Picture time!! Woohoo!

*Ahem*

I'm doing rather well. I've regained my starter spot recently, thank God, and continued to torch the league. In a recent Dallas game at home, I put on a show.

I was fired up from the beginning. I was ready for a big game, and I delivered. The big highlight came in the 2nd quarter.

It began as Pat-Pat (Patrick Paterson) saved a loose ball around mid court.

K-Mart picked it up quickly...

... and immediately heaved it up court...

... where I was waiting to receive it.

I started to drive to the lane when I had a change of heart.

Alley oop!

Pat-Pat readies himself to sky over Dirk.

This was no ordinary, run-of-the-mill alley oop, though.

It's a High Off-the-Glass...

.. Reverse Two-hander!!

Pat-Pat was really fired up.

Too bad our bench D wasn't.

I got us a small lead around the time of that highlight, went to the bench and came back to a 13 point deficit. WTF?! I helped us dig out of that hole and then go to the bench. I'd come back in and, guess what? We're trailing 15 points. WHAT THE HECK, BENCH?!

I absolutely did my part, scoring 25 points with 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover on 10/18 shooting, including 5/8 from deep. I hit a a pair of threes in the final 15 seconds to pull us within 1. After an intentional foul and two made freebies, I spotted up for a tying trey. No dice - it bounced off the rim, and we lost the game. ARRGH!

I learned something in the post-game presser - 25 point is my new career high. Yay for the mark, but boo for the loss.

It's been awhile since I shared my stats so here they are. Not bad for a glorified 6th man with a 73 rating in 20 minute games, I'd say.

So how am I doing, folks? Any takes on my career or my writing style?
Alphasim

Postby Woogie98 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 am

:applaud: Man...This is amazing!!! Just keep on doing what ur doing :D
***SNEAKERHEADS UNITE***
Woogie98

Postby Alphasim on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:50 am

After that Dallas game I went into a bit of a slump, with two consecutive 3-11 shooting games and 4 turnovers in the two games combined. It was getting very frustrating as the third game post-Dallas rolled around and I again shot sub-50%. The next game (2nd most recent) I started to right the ship with 13 points and 2 assists on 6-8 shooting. Most recently, we played the Suns in Phoenix.

I finally got back on my roll with 21 points on 7-11 shooting. I also netted 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block and no turnovers, plus I shot a perfect 6-6 from the charity stripe. After that game (which ended with a win and a Player of the Game award for me), I was told that the NBA made a commercial about me. Let's watch it.

Yay, it's me!

I didn't know they included pre-game rituals in these ads.

... I don't get it.

I bet people watching this commercial don't know that I probably missed that shot.

Ok. That was... less then impressive. Still, I'm in the public consciousness now. So long as I don't become the next Blake Griffin of TV ads, It's all good.
Alphasim

Postby Woogie98 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 pm

I can see u now.....Uvo take me to 1999.... (Sipping tea) Who are you?? :lol:
***SNEAKERHEADS UNITE***
Woogie98

Postby Woogie98 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:06 pm

I can see u now.....Uvo take me to 1999.... (Sipping tea) Who are you?? :lol:
***SNEAKERHEADS UNITE***
Woogie98

Postby Alphasim on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:08 pm

It's getting late and I'm getting restless. Why? Because 'THEY' are almost here. We'll get back to this.

Back to my play, I've been struggling again. Well, somewhat. I was scoring at will against the Spurs one day when I went ice-cold in the 4th quarter as San Antonio made a run to get back in the game.

They took us to overtime as I bricked a few late shots. I only took one shot in the extra session, but it took us from a 2 point lead to 4, and I hit 4-4 freebies to ice the game.

This man, though... no - he's not a man. He's a monster, a beast sent from the deepest pits of hell to torment me. I knew Jamal Crawford could score. I mean, obviously, right? We were playing the Clips and I had just commended myself for keeping him to four points in the first half when he been absolutely bonkers on me/us. In the last 7-8 minutes of the game he went from those 4 points to 27. Ouch! Needless to say, we lost.

Hey, am I the only one who sees something obscenely out of place in this picture? K-Mart is a deep threat nonpareil. I mean, almost two and a half times as many makes as the next player on the list. I mean, geez - he's made 22 more then the next player on the list TOOK. He should probably win the MVP for that.

Oh right, he just did.

Season's over, everybody, time to pass out the hardware. Martin did bring home the MVP and it was well deserved, but he wasn't the only Rocket to get an award.

McHale won Coach of the Year for leading us to the #1 seed.

Lastly, I did indeed take home Most Improved Player. I finished the season with 12.4 points per game, 1.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists on 47% shooting (43% from deep) on 14.7 minutes a night. This is up just a little from the 3.3-0.9-1.2 I averaged the year prior.

Up next, the playoffs! Everyone join me in welcoming our first challenger, the Minnesota Timberwolves to The Launching Pad, as we prepare to shoot their playoff hopes into the far reaches of space. It's on!
Alphasim

Postby Mavs4Life on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Man I really need to get back into NLSC, missing out on good stuff like this, keep it up.
Mavs4Life

Postby Alphasim on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:34 pm

It's the playoffs!

I came in ready to light up the T-Wolves defense. I wasn't confident in Brandon Roy's ability to stop me, even if I wasn't that much more sure that I could stop him.

I came out guns blazing and scored 9 points in the first half, most of them on mid-range jumpers. I sat at the end of the 3rd with a 48-41 lead, only to come back to a 51-48 hole. WHAT THE HECK, BENCH?!

Even better, I went stone cold. I went 1-6 in the 4th quarter as the game slipped away and we lost, 63-58.

Ok, let's figure out what the hell just happened here.

The big problem - one I've been hesitant to mention - is that our defense is porous. We have two major weak points, namely our post defense and Kevin Martin. Tonight we held their perimeter group (Ricky Rubio, Brandon Roy and Chase Budinger) to 26 points, half of those belonging to Budinger - Martin's man. I kept Roy to 4 points on the night so I feel that I did my job. I scored 18, Lin had 10 and Martin had 14 so we won the battle on the wings.

It was Kevin Love, though, who ended this night for us. The only Wolves player other then Budinger who scored in double digits, he put in 23 points, allot of them on little turn around shots off of the backboard. The T-Wolves also out rebounded us consistently. Our starting crew had 14 rebounds, six of those from Lin and Martin. The Wolves starting five had 22, eight from Love alone. The last Achilles heal for us on this night was our three point shooting. Martin and I both shot 2-6 and Lin was 0-2. Minnesota also made four threes, but on 4 less tries.

Sorry for going into this one so in depth but my confidence is rattled a little. I'll have to get back on the horse next game so wish me luck.
Alphasim

Next

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood