How to add portraits without replacing any

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K13.

How to add portraits without replacing any

Postby jmmontoro on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 am

This should still be working in 2K13 but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Let me know if this method is still working.

You'll need two things, either 3DM Mod Tool or NBA2KX Mod Tool (I can't be sure it's compatible with the portrait files of 2K13) to decompress the files and Total Installer Thingy 4 2K10 to rebuild the portrait files with the tool Portrait Builder Tool.
This doesn't explain how to create the portraits or how to save them as dds files, look for other tutorials on that.

Install the TiT tool and point it to the NBA 2K13 folder.
Open portrait.iff with the Mod Tool so it decompresses the files.
In your working folder create a folder named "portrait" and inside that folder create two folders named "1x" and "2x".
Place the dds files inside the 2x folder, the name of the dds files should be the target portrait id. So if X player has a portrait id of 2500, the dds file name has to be 2500.dds
Open the Portrait Builder Tool and select the folder where the portrait folder is sitting on.
The tool will create two files, delete the file named MVP, the other one is the important one.
Open the TiT tool and select the file the Portrait Builder Tool just created and wait for the process to finish.
Test and make sure everything worked properly.
jmmontoro

Re: How to add portraits without replacing any

Postby daninoz on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 am

This work in 2K13. No need to create DDS files, you just need to create png files and run the portraid builder.
daninoz

Postby rickiu on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:06 pm

What is potrait builder? Where can I get this?? :oops:
rickiu

Postby eda on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:10 pm

It would be nice if you could reupload it somewhere, I mean the Tit thing.

solovoy, so the dds won't work?
eda
FIBA 2k FatheR

Postby daninoz on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 pm

The portrait builder is a tool along with the TiT 4 2K10. The link is there. The DDs files work, but it's more easy with only the PNG files. You edit the files, save it in PNG and no need to convert it.

If you want to convert DDS files to PNG files, you can use DDS Converter:

http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412
daninoz

Postby eda on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:16 am

I asked as I have all the files in DDS. Besides, when I try to download it, it says 'Sorry, you don't have permission for that!' DO i really have to register there? Can you upload that thing somewhere here?
eda
FIBA 2k FatheR

Postby jmmontoro on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:22 am

The link I provided is from the authors website, I don't plan to ask permission to reupload somewhere else, but google should provide you with plenty mirrors.
jmmontoro

Postby eda on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 am

Ok now I got that tit thing. And appears that I also need a portrait builder? Where can I get that one?
eda
FIBA 2k FatheR

Postby daninoz on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:54 am

eda wrote:Ok now I got that tit thing. And appears that I also need a portrait builder? Where can I get that one?

Is in the folder you installed TiT.
daninoz

Postby eda on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:10 am

:oops: Thanks, solovoy.
I can add portraits even if the players are not in game yet,right?
Let's say my portraits (dds files) are from 4000 to 4001, however there are no such players with these ids. Can I still import them into the portrait.iff?
As for now, I can't get it to work. At the end just a folder named 'portraits' is created with all the dds files extracted. What am I doing wrong?
eda
FIBA 2k FatheR

Postby daninoz on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:15 am

eda wrote::oops: Thanks, solovoy.
I can add portraits even if the players are not in game yet,right?
Let's say my portraits (dds files) are from 4000 to 4001, however there are no such players with these ids. Can I still import them into the portrait.iff?
As for now, I can't get it to work. At the end just a folder named 'portraits' is created with all the dds files extracted. What am I doing wrong?

Yes. You can add portraits with IDs unexistent in the game, just be carefull to not overwrite other id.

I'm gonna make a tutorial video in a couple of hours.

EDIT: Here is the video tutorial:

phpBB [video]
daninoz

Postby jmmontoro on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:59 am

Nice video, I hope this makes things clearer.
jmmontoro

Postby eda on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 am

Yeah, this all is pretty easy, but it doesn't work for me. I still see the same amount of portraits in the new portrait.iff file. Is it my x64 machine doesn't allow me to do this?
eda
FIBA 2k FatheR

Postby daninoz on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 am

eda wrote:Yeah, this all is pretty easy, but it doesn't work for me. I still see the same amount of portraits in the new portrait.iff file. Is it my x64 machine doesn't allow me to do this?

I also have a x64 machine.

The only thing I can think right now is the format of the id. Just check that all the png files have the name with four digits. For example, if you want to change Allen Iverson portrait, you must create a 0005.png file and not just 5.png
daninoz

Postby eda on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:02 am

I've tried to test it with ione file - 4000.dds and it didn't work.
I converted the file to PNG and it did not work either.
eda
FIBA 2k FatheR

Postby jmmontoro on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 am

Write down step by step what you're doing and post it, maybe we'll find out why you're not being able to make it work.
jmmontoro

Postby eda on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Well, after I run the 'TiT_4_MLB_2k10' for the first time, I select the directory where my portrait.iff/cdf files are. And it is desktop.
Then I create a folder 'portrait' with folders '1x' '2x' and put my 4000.dds file (256x256) into the folder named 2x.
Then i run the 'portrait-builder' and a folder 'MVP' and files 'MVP.7z' and 'mlb2k10.7z' are created.
After that I run the TiT and choose the 'mlb2k10.7z' file and press START.

WHat i get is 'portrait.cdf.bak' and the 'portrait.iff.bak' and a folder named 'portraits' than contains all the portraits form the portrait.iff files in dds format.
When I check the new portrait.iff file, I can't see the new portrait imported and the number of portraits did not change. I believe it has to show one portrait more but it doesn't.
eda
FIBA 2k FatheR

Postby daninoz on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:39 pm

eda wrote:Well, after I run the 'TiT_4_MLB_2k10' for the first time, I select the directory where my portrait.iff/cdf files are. And it is desktop.
Then I create a folder 'portrait' with folders '1x' '2x' and put my 4000.dds file (256x256) into the folder named 2x.
Then i run the 'portrait-builder' and a folder 'MVP' and files 'MVP.7z' and 'mlb2k10.7z' are created.
After that I run the TiT and choose the 'mlb2k10.7z' file and press START.

WHat i get is 'portrait.cdf.bak' and the 'portrait.iff.bak' and a folder named 'portraits' than contains all the portraits form the portrait.iff files in dds format.
When I check the new portrait.iff file, I can't see the new portrait imported and the number of portraits did not change. I believe it has to show one portrait more but it doesn't.

Don't put the dds files in a 2x folder, just put them in any folder and select that folder in the portrait-editor.

If the result is the same, try to do the same, but with png files. Put the png file in a folder, and then in the portrait-creator select that folder.

And check that the id you are using is not already in the game. The portrait folder that Tit created, contains all the portraits in dds files, select and id that isn't in that folder.
daninoz

Postby jmmontoro on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:05 am

If you have the folder with all the dds that means the process isn't finished, the tool extracts all the portraits into that folder, then inserts and replaces the new ones you created and recompiles the iff file. Somehow the process is interrupted and the file is not regenerated. Try using another folder instead of the desktop or make sure you have proper permissions.
jmmontoro

Postby eda on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:38 am

Sorry guys, I am grateful for you assistance and patience, but it just won't work, I've tried everything, running as admin, changing directories, TiT keeps making the folder and nothing happens. I think I'll just give up on that.
eda
FIBA 2k FatheR

Postby daninoz on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:41 am

eda wrote:Sorry guys, I am grateful for you assistance and patience, but it just won't work, I've tried everything, running as admin, changing directories, TiT keeps making the folder and nothing happens. I think I'll just give up on that.

In my case, that folder is always created. But the patch is applied. Try replacing an actual Portrait. Create a png file with the id 0005 and try. If the portrait of Allen Iverson change, then the tool worked.
daninoz

Postby jmmontoro on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:00 am

The folder is part of the process that I think you're interrupting. Run it again with the task manager open and follow the processes to make sure when they stop.
jmmontoro

Postby Laker06 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:39 pm

daninoz wrote:
eda wrote:Sorry guys, I am grateful for you assistance and patience, but it just won't work, I've tried everything, running as admin, changing directories, TiT keeps making the folder and nothing happens. I think I'll just give up on that.

In my case, that folder is always created. But the patch is applied. Try replacing an actual Portrait. Create a png file with the id 0005 and try. If the portrait of Allen Iverson change, then the tool worked.

My portrait is not also showing.. I was able to replace Allen Iverson's portrait though by replacing 0005 with a dds portait file found in portrait.iff, but when i put my own image it does not appear. Specifically this image, I'll upload it so you guys can see and try http://www.mediafire.com/?r6q802lhg4my4l8

Is there a certain file compression or image size to maintain in order for them to work?
[img]http://solecollector.com/media/sneakers/images/nike-basketball-presents-count-on-kobe-header.jpg[/img ]
Laker06

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 am

Who's portrait ID is 3143?
jmmontoro

Postby tyverch on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:34 am

i still dont get this...thanks for nothing
tyverch

Next

Return to NBA 2K13 Tutorials & FAQs