Any Tablet Experts in the House? How about Android users?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Any Tablet Experts in the House? How about Android users?

Postby JaoSming on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:15 am

So my wife is a week away from upgrading from the original iPad to the 3rd one. She, like me, is not an Apple fan, but the thing done good by her. We have no experiences with Android, but the stuff on display at Best Buy was nice, nice enough to question the price jump to the iPad 3. She is basically going to use the tablet as a laptop

She needs:
video chat, good pictures and video quality, stable OS and interwebs apps, fast/quick/reliable, and a big enough screen for photo editing. Definitely no smaller than the iPad, bigger is OK/preferred.

So, does anyone have any Android tablets they like? Or should we remain suckled on Apple's teet.

And since its been a whole half hour or so, we've done some research and now the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 is looking like the favored one.
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tablets ... -TF700.htm

And the main question is now how stable Android is. Is it good at having multiple things open? Does the web browser crash with a lot of tabs? And I mean a lot of tabs, this woman doesn't believe in closing ones she isn't using, lol.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Any Tablet Experts in the House? How about Android users

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 am

My folks have an Acer tablet that's running the Android platform and they're pretty happy with it. It's nothing special, it was a giveaway from an online survey panel so it's not top of the line or anything, but it seems to be dependable and get the job done. I don't know if they do a lot of tabbed browsing though, that might be a bit beyond them. :lol:

I don't have a tablet myself but I switched to a Samsung Galaxy S-II a couple of months back and have been very pleased with it. No issues with it as yet.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby volsey on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:59 am

I have very little experience with tablets, but lots with Android. I've seen a couple guys around class using the Asus Transformer, and it seems really well built. A couple even have the docking keyboard, which essentially turns it into a laptop. These guys use it to take notes in class, and draws diagrams into the notes, something even a laptop can't do.

Built quality again seems top notch, and the under the hood goods are on par with the iPad 2 at least.

As for the OS, Android is very good with multitasking multiple apps. IMO even better than iOS, simple press of a button (bottom left I believe on ICS and bottom right on Jelly Bean, which are the two latest versions of Android), brings up multiple windows which you can slide and dismiss if you're done with them very easily and intuitively.

The chrome browser is almost the exact same as Chrome for Windows on a tablet. Shows tabs up top as usual, not sure if there's a limit to the number of tabs, but it won't just crash, it will just tell you too many tabs are open. The nice thing about android is there's plenty of perfectly usable browsers to use, so if the default Chrome or default "Android Browser" (the stock browser from before Jelly Bean) isn't her thing, there's Dolphin browser, Firefox, and more to try out.

As for stability, the popular apps and devices work fine. There's the odd app that isn't perfect, but again if you have a common device (such as the Transformer) the devs are really good at updating quickly to resolve the issues most of the time. Two of the most popular tablets are Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Transformer, I've heard good things about both, I believe the Samsung comes with an electronic stylus which is supposed to be pretty handy, but again I have no experience with either.
volsey

Postby el badman on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:14 pm

I only swear by Samsung these days, so I would definitely go with their latest Galaxy Tablets.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby JaoSming on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:59 pm

well, she ended up with an ipad again
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:40 am

someone's gotten jealous.

Any feelings on the Nexus 7 for a gamer/interwebs person like me, and a Kindle Fire HD for my book reading smartypants sister?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:34 pm

No experience with it, but definitely a fan of the Android platform.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am

I'm waiting to see if they'll have any special offers for the holidays and I'll probably buy a MS Surface. I'm getting a little tired of Android and I can't stand Apple.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Houndy on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:04 am

My friend has an android tablet, it's really nice. I don't think you can video chat on that model, but I'd look at some other ones
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby JaoSming on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:09 am

Well, video chat is handled through skype, so I can chat with my wife's iPad.....

...yes, I got a Nexus 7, and its awesome. Was going to buy it Friday, but my wife stopped me from going into the store cause she already bought one, for graduation next month. I love her.

Something about playing Angry Birds/Super Mario World/Mario 64/No Mercy and downloading GPS directions for off-line use was just jaw dropping.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chicagoRAW on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Almost pulled the trigger on the Nexus 10 but then realized it was only Dual Core. Decided to wait a couple more months when they get the new tegra-4 processors out, but damn, I really want a tablet.
chicagoRAW

Postby JaoSming on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 am

.....i can use a wireless PS3 controller with this???? :shock:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Like A Boss on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:58 pm

JaoSming wrote:.....i can use a wireless PS3 controller with this???? :shock:

Yes you can Jao :)
Like A Boss
Bulls

Postby JaoSming on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:13 am

requires rooting, which I'm fine to do but holding off on. once my many times delayed OTG cable gets here next week I'll try it out USB first....but damn man....
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chicagoRAW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:51 am

Now I'm thinking about getting the Nexus 7, I like it's price point and performance. Should I go ahead and get it? How's the experience been so far? What version of Android is it running? Will it keep getting Android OS updates?
chicagoRAW

Postby JaoSming on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:55 am

I love it and can't wait to spend some freetime fully customizing it....I can use the damn thing as a wireless computer monitor?!?!!!

In direct comparison to the iPad 3, I like it more....faster, more customizable, etc. It runs the latest Android version is supposed to keep getting those updates.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chicagoRAW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 am

JaoSming wrote:I love it and can't wait to spend some freetime fully customizing it....I can use the damn thing as a wireless computer monitor?!?!!!

In direct comparison to the iPad 3, I like it more....faster, more customizable, etc. It runs the latest Android version is supposed to keep getting those updates.

So it's on 4.2? What about the bugs that I've read about the Nexus 7 having after the 4.2 update? Have you experienced any of them?
chicagoRAW

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 am

It runs the latest Android version is supposed to keep getting those updates.

Until the newer one comes out. :wink:
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am

if you mean these? http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/19 ... t-release/ I havent noticed them but we are on 4.2.1 now

Until the newer one comes out.

eh, happy thus far, especially knowing I can root it and customize more easily. better than updating my two iPod touches and having them turn into sluggish at best performance because of it
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chicagoRAW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 am

JaoSming wrote:if you mean these? http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/19 ... t-release/ I havent noticed them but we are on 4.2.1 now

Until the newer one comes out.

eh, happy thus far, especially knowing I can root it and customize more easily. better than updating my two iPod touches and having them turn into sluggish at best performance because of it

Cool. So where would be the best place to buy it? Is there a place online with no shipping and tax or just at like a Gamestop.
chicagoRAW

Postby JaoSming on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Radioshack has the best store warranty for tablets, at 30 days. I got mine at Staples (radioshack didnt have any in store) which had a 14 day policy. Just making sure the touch screen all works within that time is what I was concerned with, since I don't really want to wait for Google/ASUS to fix and return it.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 am

I got my OTG cable. I plugged a PS3 controller into it. And the thing recognized it. I can use it to navigate the tablet's menus. My emulators and some other games automatically recognize it. I can buy an app that lets me control touch screen games with it.

How did I NOT know these things existed?!!? ....fucking Apple.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chicagoRAW on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Question about Nexus 7. I got the 2013. Anyone used slimport and connected it to the tv? Does it work good? Also, what about connecting ps3 controller via blue tooth, is that possible?
chicagoRAW

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:31 pm

haven't tried slimport
PS3 controller can be used wired no issue, wireless iirc requires rooting, but that is on my 'last year' model (that I still love very much)

reddit.com/r/nexus7 is amazingness
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chicagoRAW on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 pm

i don't wanna root it. probably gonna get slimport, it's only 30 bucks.

but, wireless controller + slimport = android gaming console.
chicagoRAW

Next

Return to Off-Topic