Kings over Lakers a sure thing?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Will the team that wins on Christmas Day also be the winner come playoff time?

Yes...and it's going to be the Lakers
15%
Yes...and it's going to be the Kings
35%
No! Regular season matchups mean nothing!
10%
No...anything can happen in the playoffs
40%

Total votes : 20

Kings over Lakers a sure thing?

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:48 pm

Time has come for Kings to reign supreme
Sam Smith suggests that the Kings/Lakers game on December 25th will be the day the Kings overcome the Lakers and begin their dominance. The way the Lakers have been playing thus far even after the return of Shaq, chances are the Kings will be victorious. But even if they are, it's only the regular season, and the first time the teams have met since last year's conference finals - ignoring that ugly pre-season meeting.

In the column, Smith draws some comparisons to the Celtics/Pistons and Pistons/Bulls matchups - including a parallel with the Pistons/Bulls matchup that makes it look as though history may be repeating itself.

So the question is...will their Christmas Day matchup determine who will come out on top out of these two teams this season? Or is it too early to start writing eithers of these teams off? Personally, I think the Kings are in better position to topple the Lakers this year. If nothing else, the Lakers are pointing fingers and entered the season too cocky. Still, no matter what the outcome of the December 25th game, come June one statement is going to look like so much hot air - Shaq's "Queens" remark, or Bibby's/Divac's "undeserving champions" assertion.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mkool8 on Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:02 am

I don't think that it will mean much if the Kings win, because they are playing well and the Lakers aren't, and the Kings should take advantage. Because, if the Kings lose this game it will say alot about both teams. Right now the Lakers are the underdogs, so I won't be surprised if they lose the game. Although I would be surprised if the Lakers don't put up a fight.

What I do think is that this game would show how strong/bitter their rivalry is. It's only when the Kings beat the Lakers in the playoffs that they conquered their demons.
mkool8

Postby Boyk on Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:03 am

nope, i feel a big win coming up for the lakers
this game will confirm if the lakers will make the playoffs, or missthem
its do or die tommorrow for the lakers if ya ask me
but i have a feeling my team will come true

my prediction:

Lakers:107 Kings:102 OT
Shaq 35pnts 12rebs C-Webb 22pnts 15rebs
Kobe 26pnts 8asts 7rebs P.Stojakovic 21pnts
M.Bibby 15pnts 6asts

Now these are just my predictions, nothing else :D
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby MC Hao on Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:33 am

How do you predict scoring by individual players? If your prediction is right, then your definitely gonna help me predict those lottery numbers, right? :P
MC Hao

Postby scubilete on Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:45 am

Oooops, Nice Uniform the Lakers are showing tonite. I believe this game as any other don't get related to who will win a series if they face in the playoffs, more now that they have Bibby, also Stojakovic is in the game, something that he was in the last series but was not 100%
scubilete

Postby Socer38913 on Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:38 pm

Hell nah, those jerseys were ugly as hell by the lakers and plus they lost. But my man Tracy Mcgrady beasted for 46 points as they beat the Pistons.
Socer38913

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:39 pm

Guess the Lakers picked a bad game to debut those new alternate jerseys...now they'll seem like bad luck charms. :wink:

By the way, the game recap over at ESPN.com has avoided taking Sam Smith's lead and pronouncing the Lakers' championship run dead. Still, we don't know whether this is a sign of things to come, or just the Lakers continuing to struggle. Perhaps an indication that the Lakers need to take their opponents seriously, and with remarks about the Sacramento "Queens", pride (or perhaps in this case cockiness) comes before a fall.

The Kings and Lakers can potentially meet 10 more times this season including the playoffs. To ultimately win, both teams will only have to win four of their future encounters this year. They just have to make sure those four wins come at the right time.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mkool8 on Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:26 am

I think the Lakers played well. For the first 2 quarters, that is. On the 3rd quarter, I thought they lost their focus on offense. Then they ultimately lost their focus on defense in the 4th. Kobe started to try to win the game on his own. Then Shaq was missing shots that he would've made last year. I could really see that his toe is bothering him. He can no longer jump as high as he used to. He had 3 layups in the game that would've been as dunk last year.

Anyway, despite the loss of the Lakers, they have a favorable schedule coming up. The question is will they take advantage?
mkool8

Postby Boyk on Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:38 am

well lakers looked like shit i nthe last quarter
i say its over for them
they either make a trade now or look into the lottery
some idiot over at espn says they shoudl trade kobe.............errrr no, hes been the best laker this season bloody fool
but they wouldnt be bale to coz they cant get equal value unless its a 2 for 1 like the guy said

did anyone relise doug christie had 6 steals lol
i didnt till i saw the boxscore

i thought the lakers were gonna win actually, kobe had a double-double at the half (15pnts 12rebs) and shaq looked good as well as role players horry,fisher and walker i thought

but they choked, a 12pnt lead to lose by 10!
wtf is goin on!
Formerly known as Laddas
Boyk

Postby MC Hao on Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:53 am

some idiot over at espn says they shoudl trade kobe.............errrr no, hes been the best laker this season bloody fool

So what if he's a great player, one good individual can't bring the Lakers to victories. Look how selfish he was in the 4th quarter last night. He just kept dribling and dribling until he lost the ball, he never even looked to pass. Kobe is selfish and he shows. The Lakers should trade him while he still has high value.
MC Hao

Postby Boyk on Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:56 am

he had to be selfish coz everyone else besides shaq was cold
even shaq couldnt hit anything actually
ill admit he did try to force it, but he didnt really have much of a choice
if there gonna trade anyone it should be a few of the role players like fox or walker or maybe they mite have to give u prush, for a better 3rd scorer or a better defensive player
Formerly known as Laddas
Boyk

Postby scubilete on Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:08 am

The Problem is you don't know if the other guys are struggling if they are not shooting. I saw Fisher hitting shots, as well as Horry but Kobe just wanted to take over. regarding a trade: Washington gave up 3 players for Stackhouse, I bet anyone who wants Kobe will have to gave up their whole bench (4-5) or 2 starters to get him, and if I'm the Lakers GM, I wouldn't let him go, the season is not over yet and the Lakers as I know them can make a good run. I do recognize they need a 3rd option scorer, but soon. I believe the Bucks last year were 2nd in the playoffs spot at the moment of the All-Star game and they didn't make the playoffs. The reverse thing can happen to the Lakers. I don't think they will miss the playoffs, that's the first thing they have to make.
scubilete

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:43 pm

Has anyone read Charley Rosen's columns from Page 2 on the Lakers' woes?

[url=http://espn.go.com/page2/s/rosen/021223.html]SOS on capsizing Lakers
[/url]
[url=http://espn.go.com/page2/s/rosen/021224.html]How to right the good ship Laker
[/url]

He suggests that Kobe is disrupting the triangle and abandoning the Lakers' tried and true gameplan, while trying to do it all himself. He further suggests that disciplining, rather than trading Kobe would be a better solution.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby MC Hao on Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:46 pm

if there gonna trade anyone it should be a few of the role players like fox or walker or maybe they mite have to give u prush, for a better 3rd scorer or a better defensive player

And I am sure you will get some one good in return from a trade involving those role players. Get real, man! If all the Lakers are playing like crap except Kobe and Shaq as you said, then how could those Lakers have any trade-value at all?
MC Hao

Postby Boyk on Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:43 am

hey man come down
i only put them in there as suggestions
geez
Formerly known as Laddas
Boyk

Postby MC Hao on Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:45 am

Bad suggestions that is.
MC Hao