OKC - Five-peat! Final summary

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Re: OKC - [4-0] - Streak continues in Portland

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:40 am

Yep. So long as you can knock down your free throws, it makes things a lot easier...too easy, I'd say.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: OKC - [4-0] - Streak continues in Portland

Postby Phil89 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 am

6/11/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [4-0] vs Utah Jazz [1-0]

Thunder continue winning streak in Utah

OKC - 29 30 28 25 112
UTA - 34 28 25 17 104

Player of the Game: Derrick Rose

Video Highlights
Arenas manages to keep the ball in and then makes a three with contact.

Rose produces a deep layup to beat the buzzer.

Harden with a massive dunk over Jefferson.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Re: OKC - [5-0] - Durant & Rose play well in Utah

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:47 am

Very strong start to the season. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: OKC - [5-0] - Durant & Rose play well in Utah

Postby Phil89 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:48 am

7/11/12

Thunder fill out roster by signing two veterans

ImageImage

Oklahoma City have today announced the signing of veterans Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady on short term deals.
Garnett, 36, was released by Boston after spending 5 seasons with the Celtics and winning a championship in 2008.
He will most likely act as cover for high-flying forward Blake Griffin. His role will be more mentor than essential player.
McGrady, 33, was released by Detroit and joins the Thunder as backup for Kevin Durant. He will be hoping to win his first ring.
Obviously Thunder management were happy with how signing veterans Shaquille O'Neal, Allen Iverson and Grant Hill worked last year.
Both players signed one year contracts for the veteran's minimum salary. They accept that they are nearing the end of their careers.

Coincidently, this news comes just one day before the unbeaten Thunder head to Boston to take on the 4-1 Celtics.
It is unclear what reception will be afforded to Garnett considering the success he brought to the club and it's fans.
It will be interesting to see if any other teams follow the Thunder's lead and bring in aging stars for a season or two.
Among those available are: Chauncey Billups, Manu Ginobili, Ray Allen, Grant Hill, Vince Carter, Jermaine O'Neal and Mike Bibby.

Here are the pair's stats from last season:

Kevin Garnett - (Boston)

Games played: 79
Games started: 0
3.1 PPG - 4.5 RPG

Tracy McGrady - (Detroit)

Games played: 72
Games started: 23
8.4 PPG - 3.1 RPG - 1.8 APG

Depth chart
C - Lopez, Blair, Krstic
PF - Griffin, Garnett
SF - Durant, McGrady
SG - Harden, Maynor, Allen
PG - Rose, Arenas

Inactive - Cunningham, Young, Mayer
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC - [5-0] - New signings

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Great signings, they should really shore up the bench. I'd say it'll be another ring for KG and the first for T-Mac by the end of the season. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Nice to see you keep up the tradition of signing vets. One of the things I regretted not doing in my dynasty was sign Tracy McGrady when I had the chance. And I actually thought I signed Kevin Garnett at one stage, but I think I misread the message in reply :lol:

Anyway, as Andrew said, they're great signings. Hope you can get T-Mac his first ring :)
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:49 pm

8/11/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [5-0] vs Boston Celtics [4-1]

Garnett cameo off bench helps Thunder to narrow win in Boston

OKC - 31 31 39 24 125
BOS - 29 29 31 32 121

Player of the Game: Blake Griffin

Video Highlights
Griffin finishes off a fast break with a nice dunk.

Garnett makes the shot despite the contact.

T-Mac shows that he still has some moves.

Harden does his best LeBron impression.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Andrew wrote:Great signings, they should really shore up the bench. I'd say it'll be another ring for KG and the first for T-Mac by the end of the season. ;)

badreligionau wrote:Nice to see you keep up the tradition of signing vets. One of the things I regretted not doing in my dynasty was sign Tracy McGrady when I had the chance. And I actually thought I signed Kevin Garnett at one stage, but I think I misread the message in reply :lol:

Anyway, as Andrew said, they're great signings. Hope you can get T-Mac his first ring :)

I was thinking of maybe signing Vince Carter, Manu Ginobili and Ray Allen too. There's only 15 roster spots though and I probably wouldn't have found enough minutes for them all.

At this point it's more fun using veterans off the bench than my rookies because they have real life history and I'm kind of ocd about having players with real faces. :wink:
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC - [6-0] - Garnett debuts in Boston

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:54 am

Not a bad debut for KG, though I'd expect him to get more rebounds in real life. ;) Seems you got some decent minutes out of T-Mac as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: OKC - [6-0] - Garnett debuts in Boston

Postby Phil89 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:21 pm

10/11/12

Thunder up: A recap of the Oklahoma City's amazing rise

Much has changed in Oklahoma City over the last four seasons. They've gone from lottery contenders to three-peat champions.
In the 2008-09 season, their first since the move from Seattle, they managed only 23 wins and 13th place in the western conference.

2009-10 Season
In the 2009-10 season they did some deals to clear up cap room and also brought in OJ Mayo from Memphis. He was a great addition.
Mayo averaged 25.9 points per game and along with Green and Westbrook, helped take a lot of scoring pressure off of Durant.
They won 62 games and finished with the best record in the NBA. Their first playoff adventure as a new franchise awaited.

Up against the vastly experienced Spurs, they showed no signs of their lack of post-season experience, sweeping them in 4 games.
Next up they cruised past the Rockets in 5 to reach the western conference finals, where Steve Nash and his Suns were waiting for them.
Although the history books will show a sweep for the Thunder, there were still two incredible games that will live long in the memory.

In game 2 Oklahoma City came from 13 points down after the first quarter to steal a last second win thanks to some Durant magic.
Even more amazing was game 4 in Phoenix. With the Suns on the verge of elimination, they put up an almighty fight to stay alive.
Phoenix led 57-52 at the half. Thunder outscored them 73-68 in an exciting second half though, and the game went into overtime.
The teams couldn't be separated after two overtime periods. The game finished 189-188 in favour of the Thunder after triple-overtime.
Some amazing numbers were put up by both teams. For the Thunder, Mayo scored 60 points, Durant had 40 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds.
Green almost had a quadruple-double after finishing with 30 points, 9 assists, 17 rebounds and 6 blocks. Westbrook had 14 points and 13 assists.
For the Suns, Nash was sensational as always. He scored 39 points and an incredible 27 assists. Jason Richardson was on fire too, with 46 points.

The NBA Finals saw the Thunder meet up with eastern conference champions Miami, who were seeing instant returns from their 'big three'.
In a repeat of their regular season meetings, the home team won in each of the first four games and the series was tied at 2-2.
It seemed as though Miami would continue that trend in game 5. They battled back from an early deficit to lead by 11 with a quarter to play.
Led by Durant, the Thunder produced a stunning 43 point fourth quarter to overrun the Heat and take a 3-2 lead back to Oklahoma City.

Game 6 was another closely fought affair, with Miami leading by a point at the half. The Thunder opened up a crucial lead in the third though.
The fourth quarter was a shoot-out, but the Thunder managed to match the Heat and held on to win 119-116 and record their first championship.
Durant was deservedly crowned Finals MVP to go along with his regular season MVP and defensive player of the year awards.

2010-11 Season
The Thunder wasted no time in bolstering their roster during the 2010 off-season. Firstly they re-signed forward Jeff Green to a 5 year $47m deal.
They then used the cap room they'd made through various trades on all-star center Al Horford. Corey Brewer was also brought in as back-up.
After starting the season 13-4, the Thunder announced a shock trade. On November 29th they traded a homesick Mayo back to Memphis.
Interestingly they re-acquired young guard James Harden in the deal. He was part of the original trade that brought Mayo to Oklahoma City.

A week later they completed another big trade for Nets center Brook Lopez, which set off a flurry of big moves around the league.
The Lopez deal involved 3 teams. They were Oklahoma City, New Jersey and Miami. It saw a total of 7 players switch teams.
Oklahoma City got Lopez from the Nets, as well as veteran guards Ronald Murray and Eddie House from the Heat.
New Jersey acquired all-star forward Jeff Green, center Nick Collison and the Thunder's 2011 first round draft pick.
Miami received forward Travis Outlaw from the Nets and back-up point guard Acie Law from the Thunder.

With Lopez and Horford in the front court, they went 51-11 for the rest of the season and finished with a 67-15 record.
It was their second straight 60+ win season and the second straight finishing with the best record in the league.
Durant won his second consecutive scoring title, but narrowly missed out to Amare Stoudemire in the MVP race.

In the first round of the playoffs the Thunder again swept the Suns. This time though by an average margin of 15 points.
It looked like it was going to be more of the same against Utah when they won by 40 in game 1 and 25 in game 2 of the semis.
After a narrow 3 point win in game 3 it seemed like the series was over for all money. Utah had other ideas though.
The Jazz won game 4 by 7 points and continued their fight back in game 5, winning by 6 points in Oklahoma City.
With the momentum firmly against them, the Thunder surprisingly won game 6 in Utah by 30 points and advanced 4-2.

In the conference finals the Thunder faced the newly formed 'fab five' from Portland. Aldridge, Okafor, Wallace, Roy and Paul.
Thunder won the opening 2 games at home and led 2-0 heading to Portland. Utah had shown that they were beatable though.
Game 3 was a see-sawing affair in which both teams had comfortable leads at different stages. The Blazers eventually won in overtime.
The comeback was halted though after Oklahoma City grabbed a vital win in game 4. Durant was key again with 36 points.
Portland let an early lead slip in game 5 back in Oklahoma City and never recovered. Thunder through to the NBA Finals again.
Westbrook put in an amazing display of passing in game 5. He equalled his own record in finishing with 26 assists.

A familiar face awaited the Thunder in the Finals, the Miami Heat. It is quickly becoming the biggest rivalry in the game.
In the last two season these two teams have been a league above everyone else, winning a combined 249 out of 328 games.
It was the re-match that the fans and media wanted. But more importantly it was the re-match that Miami wanted.
With both teams having improved their roster depth since the last Finals, this was going to be an even better series.

This was evident in game 1. Miami snatched a hard fought 5 point win in Oklahoma City after 2 overtime periods.
Game 2 saw the Thunder recover from an early deficit to overrun the Heat and tie the series 1-1 heading to Miami.
With a quarter left to play in game 3, it seemed like it was a lost cause for the Thunder. They trailed by 12 points.
However, they showed their fighting spirit and narrowly missed out on stealing a famous victory, losing 108-106.
The Thunder rallied in game 4 to tie the series again. They avoided going two games behind with a gutsy team effort.
Game 5 was the turning point in the series. The Thunder won in and took the lead in the series for the first time.
They now had two games back in Oklahoma City in which to seal the series and their second straight championship.

Miami were unable to replicate the Thunder's mental toughness when trailing in the series and playing on the road.
The Thunder began game 6 in a fashion that seemingly stunned the heat into submission. They led 38-22 after one quarter.
They continued the onslaught in the second quarter and led 71-44 at the half. There would be no comeback for Miami though.
The second half passed by and the Thunder closed out the game and secured another title in front of their adoring fans.
Durant continued his award winning spree by collecting his second Finals MVP trophy in a row. A dynasty was taking shape.

2011-12 Season
Things continued to fall into place for the Thunder during the 2011 off-season. They re-signed Lopez and Westbrook to long term deals.
Next they added some more quality in their front court with forward Kevin Love and former Celtics center Kendrick Perkins.
This resulted with Al Horford being traded away to San Antonio for George Hill. But the Thunder finally had the squad depth they wanted.

On December 1st they traded Kendrick Perkins and Corey Brewer to Toronto for Andrea Bargnani. A move criticised by some people.
Less than two weeks later on the 13th a massive 5 team deal occurred. It saw Brandon Jennings join the Lakers; Andrei Kirilenko joined Orlando.
Also part of the deal: Jameer Nelson and Brandon Bass joined the Grizzlies; Whilst Andre Iguodala and Lamar Odom were sent to Milwaukee.
The 76ers got a bunch of expiring contracts and draft picks in the same deal. They were clearing their roster for a run at the free agent market.

Ten days later the 76ers continued their contract dumping. They arranged three team deal involving Atlanta and Oklahoma City.
It saw Thaddeus Young go to the Hawks, Marvin Williams to the Thunder and Wesley Matthews and Hasheem Thabeet to the 76ers.
That same day the Thunder announced that they had signed veteran free agent center Shaquille O'Neal on a one year deal.

In February Durant was selected as a starter for the western all-stars, whilst Brook Lopez earned a spot on the bench.
Durant was the star and his 36 points in the west's 116-11 victory won him his second straight all-star game MVP award.

The Thunder rocked the league just three days later as they pulled off a major coup by trading for Clipper's star Blake Griffin.
Oklahoman born Griffin was coming out of contract and the Clippers reluctantly agreed to send the forward to his hometown team.
The deal also netted the Thunder Ryan Gomes and Eric Bledsoe and saw Kevin Love, Serge Ibaka and Shannon Brown go to Los Angeles.

Oklahoma City finished the season as top seed in the west for the third straight season and recorded their third straight 60 win season (68-14).
Thunder coach Scott Brooks was recognised for his involvement in their success with his third straight coach of the year award.
Just before the playoffs the Thunder signed two more veteran free agents. Grant Hill and Allen Iverson signed up for one last go at a ring.

Oklahoma City faced Dirk Nowitzki and his Mavericks in the first round of the playoffs. They grabbed a comfortable 115-90 win in game 1.
In game 2 JJ Barea starred with 40 points, but it wasn't enough as the Thunder ran out 120-115 in a much tighter affair.
The Thunder kept on rolling in game 3 despite Dirk scoring 45 points. They took the game in Dallas 117-109 and looked set for a sweep.
Which is exactly what happened. The Mavericks had no answer for Durant and Griffin and the Thunder cruised to a 115-89 win.

In the conference semis the Thunder faced former player Al Horford and his San Antonio team that included an in-form Tony Parker.
Game 1 wasn't really a contest as Oklahoma City ran out 111-85 winners. James Harden was the star player with 28 points.
The Spurs rallied in Game 2 and only narrowly lost, 118-112. Tony Parker had a monster night with 37 points and 17 assists.
Game 3 was a game of big numbers. Durant scored 39, Parker scored 35 and had 18 assists, Lopez grabbed 17 rebounds.
Griffin was the real star for the Thunder though. He scored 34 points and had 18 assists as the Thunder won 129-118 in overtime.
Game 4 was another close encounter. Durant scored 41, Griffin 34, whilst Parker scored 33 and had 22 assists as the Thunder won 121-117.
The Spurs has actually been leading by 12 at half time and looked to be on track for a win, but the Thunder rallied and won.

After two sweeps the Thunder were feeling confident against Portland in the conference finals, who they beat at the same stage last season.
Game 1 wasn't really that close. The Thunder won 122-104 with Durant scoring 33. Chris Paul scored 34 and had 10 assists for the Blazers.
It was much closer in game 2. The Blazers were leading with a quarter to play but let it slip and lost 105-100. Paul scored 30 points.
Games 3 in Portland was another nail-biter. The Blazers were leading at the half but the Thunder outscored them 38-22 in the third quarter.
They then matched the Blazers in the fourth to record a 125-118 win. Blake Griffin and Gerald Wallace both scored 30 points.
Chris Paul had a good game with 26 points and 15 assists, whilst LaMarcus Aldridge scored 18 and grabbed 16 rebounds in the loss.
The first half of game 4 was tight and tense. Portland looked to have gotten a game winning lead with an impressive third quarter display.
But the Thunder rallied yet again and produced a trademark 106-104 comeback win and remain unbeaten heading into the NBA Finals.
For the losers Brandon Roy scored 33 points, Paul scored 31 and had 12 assists and Aldridge scored 16 and grabbed 16 rebounds.

A familiar face was waiting for Oklahoma City in the Finals. They would face off against LeBron and Wade's Miami for the third straight season.
Game 1 was a crushing 121-101 victory for the Thunder. Griffin grabbed a triple-double (30 pts, 16 asts, 15 reb) in the biggest game of his life.
Bosh and Lopez had a good duel too. Bosh finished with 27 points and 11 rebounds whilst Lopez had 22 points and grabbed 11 rebounds.
A strong first half was enough to set up a 120-112 Thunder win in game 2. Griffin starred again with 24 points and 10 assists.
Dwyane Wade scored 39 points for the Heat and Bosh scored 30 of his own and grabbed 14 rebounds. LeBron was kept fairly quiet.
Miami came out strong in game 3 and led by 11 at the half. But as they always seem to do, the Thunder rallied in the second half.
They stormed home to win 111-106 and go 3-0 up in the series. Durant scored 33 whilst LeBron James scored 25 and had 10 assists.
Game 4 was almost a carbon copy of game 3. The Heat again led by 11 at half time, but were overrun in the second half and lost 112-107.
Durant scored 33 points, LeBron scored 32, Bosh had 29 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and Wade scored 28 and had 11 assists.
Blake Griffin was the real game-changer though. He was involved in everything and finished with 19 points, 13 assists and 10 rebounds.
He completed the fairytale of winning a championship with his hometown team by being named Finals MVP, just beating out Durant.

2012-13 Season
In the 2012 off-season the Thunder continued their strategy of signing their young talent to long term deals with Blake Griffin and James Harden.
23 year old hometown hero Griffin signed a 6 year deal worth $68m, whilst Harden signed a deserved 4 year contract worth $41m.

They also made a number of trades during the off-season which some in the media questioned. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" they said.
Firstly they sent backup point guard George Hill back to San Antonio. Reports suggested that he wanted to go back after only 1 season.
In return they received center DeJuan Blair to bolster their big man stocks. With Shaq retiring they needed a strong backup center.
A week later they surprised a lot of people by accepting Milwaukee's offer of Rose, Redd and Krstic for Westbrook, Bargnani and Williams.
The Bucks decided to do the swap for Westbrook as he had a longer contract than Rose, plus they filled their roster out nicely at the same time.
Milwaukee have Bogut and Iguodala coming out of contract this season and wanted more security than Rose's 2 year deal could offer.

Finally they agreed a deal with the Magic to send Redd and Bledsoe to Orlando in exchange for Arenas and his massive expiring contract.
Being a small market team with almost $100m in salaries was unsustainable. Dumping Arenas will reduce that figure by 22% next year.
The biggest story of the free agent period was Dwight Howard being traded to the Nets and teaming up with reigning MVP Deron Williams.

The Thunder have won their first 6 games of the season, all on the road. They are currently on a 32 game unbeaten run dating back to April 3rd.
Durant (31.0 ppg, 4.2 spg), Griffin (21.3 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 5.8 apg, 3.7 bpg) and Rose (23.0 ppg, 10.4 apg) are working well together so far.
Already this season Griffin has managed a triple-double. Lopez (5), Rose (3) and Griffin (2) have also recorded multiple double-doubles.
Just this week veteran stars Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady joined the Thunder from free agency. The aging pair will provide solid backup.
They look to be right in contention for the championship again this season and do what only the Celtics have managed; Win 4 in a row.

Season highlights so far.

Last edited by Phil89 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC - [6-0] - Updated dynasty recap

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Nice retrospective of the story so far, you should add a link to that in the first post. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: OKC - [6-0] - Updated dynasty recap

Postby Phil89 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:49 pm

11/11/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [6-0] vs Toronto Raptors [2-3]

Thunder overcome foul trouble to grab win in Toronto

OKC - 37 28 31 31 127
TOR - 35 27 28 29 119

Player of the Game: Kevin Durant

Video Highlights
Griffin dunks over Amir Johnson.

Durant sets up Lopez for a dunk.

T-Mac shows his former team that he still has some spring in his legs.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC - [7-0] - Trip to Canada

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:08 am

Solid win. I'm guessing Rose got caught on a few reach-ins in that one.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm

It definitely was a high fouling game on both sides. I upped the foul call frequencies as part of my slider changes.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:58 pm

13/11/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [7-0] vs Indiana Pacers [5-1]

Thunder come out on top in battle of conference leaders

OKC - 26 29 33 40 128
IND - 27 33 28 34 122

Video Highlights
Rose sets up Griffin for a two-handed dunk.

Rose doesn't give up on the play and is eventually rewarded.

Durant coolly sinks a deep three to tie the game at 88-88 with a quarter to play.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC - [8-0] - Durant & Rose star in Indiana

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Mike Dunleavy is a bit of a weak link (though his stats in that one weren't too shabby), but other than that they've got a decent starting five. Good win.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:46 am

Awesome start! Who the hell is that toothless zombie dunking against Indiana?
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Phil89 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:23 am

That would be DeJuan Blair. :cheeky:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:32 pm

15/11/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [8-0] vs Utah Jazz [4-2]

Rose breaks assist record on home debut

OKC - 32 32 31 33 128
UTA - 30 31 30 26 117

Player of the Game: Derrick Rose

Video Highlights
Durant comes up with a big block on Jefferson.

Harden throws down another big dunk.

-----
Rose's 27 assists beats Westbrook's record of 26, which he managed against Orlando and Portland. (Y)
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [9-0] - Rose has decent debut in OKC

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:44 am

That's a pretty good way to introduce yourself to the home crowd. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Thunder - [9-0] - Rose has decent debut in OKC

Postby Phil89 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:39 pm

19/11/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [9-0] vs Dallas Mavericks [1-9]

Thunder produce stunning comeback win to remain unbeaten

OKC - 23 27 28 48 126
DAL - 35 28 32 21 116

Video Highlights
Rose dances around Barea then dunks over Gibson.

Durant hits a vital three late in the game to extend the lead.

-----
I shot at 70% in the fourth quarter. :) And Dirk was out injured.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [10-0] - Deja vu against Dallas

Postby Phil89 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:05 pm

20/11/12

Dallas make trade for Richardson in hope of improvement

Dallas owner Mark Cuban has today decided to make a move with his team sitting at the bottom of the western conference with only 2 wins in 12 games.
He instructed Donnie Nelson that he wanted an experienced backcourt scorer to take pressure off of star Dirk Nowitzki, who is currently out injured.
Nelson made some phone calls before finally agreeing a deal with Orlando for former Golden State and Charlotte shooting guard Jason Richardson.
They also received backup center Johan Petro in the deal. The Magic acquired youngster Rodrigue Beaubois and veteran Brendan Haywood in return.

Things were supposed to be better for the Mavericks this season after signing big name free agent Gerald Wallace during the off-season.
Last season they barely scraped into the playoffs with the 8th seed and were bundled out after just four games by the Thunder juggernaut.
Thirty-four year old Nowitzki has been relegated to coming off the bench this season. He is currently out for a week with a bruised knee.
Age seems to be catching up with him as he's only averaging 4.8 ppg and 9.7 rpg in 9 games this season. Well down by his lofty standards.

Trading Tyson Chandler to Chicago now seems to have been a poor decision. Taj Gibson really isn't the dominant defender that Chandler is.
Chandler was second in rebounding last season (14.2 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 2.8 bpg). He is recording nearly identical numbers with the Bulls.
Another issue that this trade is meant to address is the fact that Dallas had two natural point guards playing together in their backcourt.
Now with Richardson beside him, Barea can concentrate on being a facilitator rather than worrying about creating his own shots.

Orlando continue the rejuvenation of their squad with this trade. They've now got a solid veteran as backup for Oden in case of any injury.
With Richardson gone, now only Hedo Turkoglu remains from the ultimately failed attempts to get Dwight Howard to remain with the team.
His contract is up at the end of the season though and is unlikely to be re-signed given his role this season and the playing time he's been given.

Image Image

Dallas receive
Jason Richardson - 31 - SG - $32.26m - 2 years (83)
Johan Petro - 26 - C - $8.60m - 2 years (72)

Projected line-up:
Taj Gibson - Craig Smith - Gerald Wallace - Jason Richardson - Jose Barea
Bench options:
Dirk Nowitzki, Johan Petro, Jeff Teague, Luther Head

Image Image

Orlando receive
Rodrigue Beaubois - 24 - PG - $41.72m - 4 years (83)
Brendan Haywood - 33 - C - $28.68m - 3 years (77)

Projected line-up:
Greg Oden - Jason Thompson - Michael Redd - JJ Redick - Jordan Farmar
Bench options:
Rodrigue Beaubois, Brendan Haywood, Greg Monroe, Hedo Turkoglu, Eric Bledsoe
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [10-0] - Dallas trade

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Looks like a pretty good deal for the Mavs, easier on the salary cap in the long run as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Thunder - [10-0] - Dallas trade

Postby Phil89 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:28 pm

21/11/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [10-0] vs Houston Rockets [4-6]

Thunder cruise against Rockets to extend winning streak further

OKC - 37 32 33 31 133
HOU - 34 28 23 36 121

Player of the Game: Blake Griffin

Video Highlights
Rose beats the buzzer at the end of the first quarter.

Arenas sinks a corner three.

-----
Basically the entire fourth quarter was garbage time.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [11-0] - Rockets in town

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:01 am

Seems like a good all-around team effort in that one.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame