NBA 2K12 Quick Impressions & Questions

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Re: NBA 2K12 Quick Impressions & Questions

Postby gabolifal on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Hello, anybody knows exactly how the legend's training camp in my player mode works? I mean, how many points do you receive by doing that?
gabolifal

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:48 pm

holy shit they actually added legit short and long sleeve T-shirts. Like, not shoulder pads, actual t-shirts. <3 2K
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby hova- on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:25 pm

What I really like is, that playing good defense is finally possible and matters.

There are occassions where I just don't do the right thing, be it speculating for the wrong direction, going for the steal or going up for the block ending up with a foul.

But in 2k12 there are finally also a lot of defensive sequences where I just do the right thing and get rewarded. Stealing has improved, slapping for the ball at the right time (when a bad ball handler has it or when the dribbler does a risky move) will give you the chance to knock it loose.
Although there are too many blocks in my opinion, you still need timing. When you time your contest right you will get that block.

The new hands up with the right stick is really great. Had a lot of deflected passes and contested shots out of it. Defense is fun in this game. (Y)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby tyblos on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 pm

the off the glass shot is gone? in 2k11 if you press L2 square the ball hits the glass then the net, but in 2k12 dont know how to do it
tyblos

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:16 pm

i think if you shoot with the shot stick, while in the shot animation swap to the other side of the stick and it will bank, not sure though
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Sure I did some playing the past weekend or so.

Gameplay is better I must say. First games using the Bulls were fun, and CPU matches well in a non-annoying way. Sadly the Bulls still wear pink. If the textures are now patchable, I might start on something.
Sometimes the game does not incorporate the Player Profile into a game controller, I had to unplug-plug the controller for it to be associated with my profile. And I have to do it everytime I run the game.

2K is always at the top when doing in-game presentations. Though sometimes it is odd to see Manu on the intro presentation doing the multiple fist punch celebration. I like the varying intros and starting lineup presentations. Halftime reports are now what they should have been from 2K11 -- reporting every other games happening in the same day.

Graphics on the PC suck. Makes me feel that 2K is going slowly into EA's path with the PC treatment. Lack of shaders and lighting makes players look undead. (see Rajon Rondo) Though most of them look spot on, they just lack that "life" so to speak, where the lighting could have made the difference. 2K10's lighting looks better than 2K12. Added textures like the adidas techfit sleeves and shirt sleeves may be a nod to the modding community, but the ankle brace models cannot overlap onto the socks (a minor gripe, as I play using the Bulls and Derrick Rose sports those ankle braces).

In-game ball fumbles are good too. There's a play were I ran a pick and roll with Boozer/Noah and Rose, a defender came in to intercept Rose's switch to the other side and tapped the ball, triggering an animation were the ball is lost. Nice touches, it does make you feel that even a player with a high ball handling rating is invulnerable to such defense. The new post play is also nice.

Did they take away the pro-hop button? :(

With NBA's Greatest, I started playing with MJ's first. Beat 'em twice, but didn't unlocked anything. It must have something to do with me playing as "Player 1" instead of my real player profile.

My Player feels good this year too, though I still prefer it has the D-League as your destination if you don't get drafted. I made two separate careers both as a scoring 2-guard and scored 27 and 32 respectively on the Rookie Showcase. Both ended up with the Bucks and both were #10 overall picks. One thing I that's irritating on this mode is that your teammates don't seem to defend shooters and EVERYONE on the opposing CPU team hits threes -- including centers that don't shoot threes.

I won't give this game a 9.5 like IGN did but generally speaking, for what I experienced from the first few games I played, gameplay is smoother. Surely a patch would make things better.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Has anyone else gotten the real life helicopter flyby of the arena in between the 3rd and 4th quarters? :shock: Got it with the Hornets at home, but it looks like they have movies for Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Mavs, Cavs, Bobcats, and Hawks too.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Something like that came out, though I forgot which team had that. Probably the Bobcats. That was a nice touch. [joker]It put a smile on my face[/joker].
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby niharjhatn on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you know whats up with the hundreds of ingame player icons seen in 2k12... 2k11 and 10 only had like 3, the star icon, and the lock (in 10) and that random knight in 11... but just playing 2k12 I see HEAPS more, like the random hands one (is that steal or ball handling?)

anyone shed any light on this please?
niharjhatn

Postby deihatein on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Played two quick games with the Pacers and Mavs.

Gameplay is fast and smooth, 2k presentation is always nice. Not a fan of the live ball physics or whatever you call that, but I just need to adjust to it so yeah and also not a fan of the new on-the-fly controls. Sure the substitution pattern are nice but I want to see my player stats damn it. Love the new signature gathers and the post game. Finally we got to dominate with Dirk.

Speaking of Dirk I hate how low he is rated in the game, it's a small issue but as a Dirk fanboy he should be rated higher. Did I just hear a "Beat the Heat" chants will in Dallas :shock:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Justine. on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:44 pm

A simple question, how to do the walk dribble? I'm just glad they brought it back, makes me misses 2k9. I'm on PC.
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby JaoSming on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 pm

niharjhatn wrote:anyone shed any light on this please?

based on the texture names - viewtopic.php?p=1430837#p1430837
33-Block*
37-Warm
60-Cold
61-Three
62-Dunk
76-Cool
83-Star
115-Steal
119-Fatigue
124-Defense
125-on ball D*
126-hot
164-Fire
167-Frozen

Justine. wrote:A simple question, how to do the walk dribble? I'm just glad they brought it back, makes me misses 2k9. I'm on PC.

Feather that joystick, if you are using the keyboard you probably can't walk
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lamrock on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:38 pm

dei. wrote:
Speaking of Dirk I hate how low he is rated in the game, it's a small issue but as a Dirk fanboy he should be rated higher.

Change his position to SF and it goes up like 5 points. 2K's overall rating calculator is archaic.
Lamrock

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:16 am

buzzy wrote:2 on 1 breaks are almost impossible to pull off, because passes are constantly being deflected.
Spree#8 wrote:Your fastbreak - turnover. This has been around forever, in 2K11 it was most visible on post entry passes.

I laugh at you losers, even though I still don't have 2K12. Yes, I agree with what Spree said that passing on the break is a mess even in the earlier versions but you don't have to resort to using cheap tricks like hova to do a successful fast break.

Use the fancy pass, LS direction+turbo+pass (if you don't use the LS you might end up throwing a mistimed alley-oop). Also try to pass early rather than late, say when the ball-handler is between the area before the 3-point line and center court logo, to avoid the ball being intercepted like what usually happens. I notice that passes get intercepted by the time the ball-handler is already on/inside the 3-point line on a fastbreak.

buzzy wrote:the fake pass button, who really uses it, honestly?
Spree#8 wrote:the fake pass is a waste of a button.
hova- wrote:I'm using the fake pass all the time, the question is rather, does it really have any sense/serious function at all? (maybe for user vs user but most reaction I've read from those who play online against others don't swear by it as being effective)
shadowgrin wrote:The fake pass button is as useful as LeBron in the 4th quarter.

hova- wrote:The new hands up with the right stick is really great.

It's not new. Been in the games before. The only thing new with it is you can now move while having your hands up.

niharjhatn wrote:ingame player icons seen in 2k12... 2k11 and 10 only had like 3, the star icon, and the lock (in 10) and that random knight in 11... but just playing 2k12 I see HEAPS more, like the random hands one (is that steal or ball handling?)

Not only 3, there have been others. The feet with wings (dunker), 3 (obvious), and others I forget because I really don't pay attention to it.

dei. wrote:Speaking of Dirk I hate how low he is rated in the game, it's a small issue but as a Dirk fanboy he should be rated higher.
Lamrock wrote:Change his position to SF and it goes up like 5 points. 2K's overall rating calculator is archaic.

Dirk's higher attribute ratings weigh more for non-bigs but since he's a bigman (PF) he suffers a hit (in overall ratings calculation) because his lower attribute ratings (which are the 'bigman' attributes) are given more weight. I tried really boosting (or correcting) Dirk's ratings once in 2K10 and 2K11 and hoping that I get him at least a 90, but I always end up with 86/87. Most I got was an 89 but he ended up playing like a mix of Larry Bird and Tom Chambers.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby hova- on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:42 am

shadowgrin wrote:
hova- wrote:The new hands up with the right stick is really great.

It's not new. Been in the games before. The only thing new with it is you can now move while having your hands up.

Pretty much what I was saying. I said the "new hands up", which means it's a newer version of taking your hands up, not that the whole feature is new. Actually I was using it in 2k11 all the time, but it wasn't really effective.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Lamrock on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:10 am

shadowgrin, Yeah, no shit. It's been that way at least since I made the switch from Live (2k6). 2K hasn't adjusted to positional roles becoming far less rigid than they were in the past and they also got the positional weighting a bit wrong as well.

It's fine not considering there being more than one play style per position, but it's frustrating to see players like Afflalo and Matthews benched because 2K's idea of an ideal shooting guard is not someone who provides defense and shooting, but that of an athletic scoring combo guard.
Lamrock

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:29 am

Lamrock wrote:it's frustrating to see players like Afflalo and Matthews benched because 2K's idea of an ideal shooting guard is not someone who provides defense and shooting, but that of an athletic scoring combo guard.

...or that athletic bigs aren't quick and plod on the court that's why they are limited to 60's range in quickness and speed. See Dwight Howard or Serge Ibaka. (dunno if there's an improvement in 2K12)
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Lamrock on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:29 am

Since when were we talking about athletic bigs?
Lamrock

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:35 am

nothing, personal rant about 2K's messed up take on ratings.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby buzzy on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 am

shadowgrin wrote:Use the fancy pass, LS direction+turbo+pass

Didn't know that passing while using turbo would result in a "fancy pass"?

I don't consciously know that I use turbo while passing on a two on one break, but I'd assume so. Doesn't really result in fancy passes for me, but normal passes that get deflected.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Spree#8 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:05 am

shadowgrin wrote:
buzzy wrote:2 on 1 breaks are almost impossible to pull off, because passes are constantly being deflected.
Spree#8 wrote:Your fastbreak - turnover. This has been around forever, in 2K11 it was most visible on post entry passes.

I laugh at you losers, even though I still don't have 2K12. Yes, I agree with what Spree said that passing on the break is a mess even in the earlier versions but you don't have to resort to using cheap tricks like hova to do a successful fast break.

Use the fancy pass, LS direction+turbo+pass (if you don't use the LS you might end up throwing a mistimed alley-oop). Also try to pass early rather than late, say when the ball-handler is between the area before the 3-point line and center court logo, to avoid the ball being intercepted like what usually happens. I notice that passes get intercepted by the time the ball-handler is already on/inside the 3-point line on a fastbreak.

Perhaps I put it wrong. When I said "this has been around forever", I meant the game screwing us over by selecting the worst kind of pass for any situation so that we can get a turnover which can't really be helped since we do not have control over the type of pass.

In 2K11 I probably didn't get a tenth of turnovers on fast breaks that I get in 2K12. It annoys me, because - once again - I can't make my guy throw a bounce/chest/lob/whatever-needed-in-particular-situation pass. So if you still don't have 2K12 and haven't experienced that, I don't think you're in a position to be calling me a loser or whatever you'd like to.

I also haven't really noticed any changes in passes when holding down turbo.
Spree#8

Postby blkmagnum22 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:28 am

i wish this game was like 2k11.. players feel stiff.. defense is garbage to play...passing the ball is just horrible.. 3 pointers are just to easy to make. should of kept everything like 2k11 except the graphics ect..alot of fun has been taken out of this game.

why did they take the 1v1 2v2 ect on black top? :roll:
blkmagnum22

Postby Spree#8 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:30 am

blkmagnum22 wrote:why did they take the 1v1 2v2 ect on black top? :roll:

It seems likely they feel like charging extra for it (DLC).
Spree#8

Postby blkmagnum22 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:37 am

Spree#8 wrote:

pc have a dlc for that?? thats pretty messed up they would do that.. also we cant put people onto the legendary teams either.. i usually put modern players on the 95-96 sonics and play association..
blkmagnum22

Postby JaoSming on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:01 am

blkmagnum22 wrote:
Spree#8 wrote:

pc have a dlc for that?? thats pretty messed up they would do that.. also we cant put people onto the legendary teams either.. i usually put modern players on the 95-96 sonics and play association..

look in the tutorials section for the workaround. essentially start a season with the sonics, export the team, then trade/assign/release as normal
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K12