Operation Sports' NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Operation Sports' NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Write-up by Dustin Toms:
http://www.operationsports.com/previews ... -hands-on/

Some good notes on gameplay and AI, as well as a few things about My Player worth noting:

CPU AI is greatly improved, both on your team and the opponent. Sometimes your teammates will get a little selfish in the Rookie Showcase, but that’s expected. After the showcase you’re thrown straight into interviews with three teams. I was a 3-point threat shooting guard and was interviewed by Charlotte, Sacramento and Utah. Each team asks questions based on your position, how much you can contribute, if you’re OK with riding the pine and questions revolving around their star player. The way you answer these questions can make you look like a nice guy or an arrogant bucket case, so be careful.

Your player’s grade is more accurate this year. You won’t be knocked points for taking a last-second half court shot anymore or for your teammate allowing your man to score. The only frustration I came across was on defense. Once in a while your team’s defense will get out of sync and “your man” will switch constantly eventually leading to him scoring taking away points. It isn’t a game-killer since it doesn’t happen often, and I’m sure a patch will easily fix it.

Seems like the grade is still a bit harsh on defensive switches but the harshness of the grading and mistakes depleting the bar too much was definitely one of the most annoying aspects of My Player last year, so it's good to hear they've made adjustments along with beefing up the AI.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Operation Sports' NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview

Postby Phraynk on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm ready. (Y)
"These young guys are playing checkers. I'm out there playing chess."
Phraynk

Postby fjccommish on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:49 am

One element is confusing. The preview author indicates that the rules are accurate to the era. But then immediately indicates that zone is allowed in all eras.

Are the rules and play era-specific or not? Are there other era-specific rules that aren't followed in games from those eras?
fjccommish

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:21 am

Maybe they just made an era. :rimshot:

The defense won’t be too much different,

Or maybe you did.

All joking aside, I guess he was just saying that the defensive rules don't change. The devs would have to program in illegal defense, which is probably hard as hell to program, and not worth the effort.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 am

He never said the rules would be accurate to the era.

One final thing to be mentioned is the rules from each era. If there was no 3-point line when the game happened, there won’t be one when you play. Players will play the way they did in the ‘80s. When Pistol Pete is on the floor you’ll be able to tell he is the best player by far. The defense won’t be too much different, so zone may pop up on the occasion. Also fouls will still be called as often as they do when you play with the current teams, so you won’t be able to rough the opponent too much.

The only accurate rule confirmed there is the lack of a three point line for games that took place before the NBA adopted it. It's possible the distance of the three point line is also accurate since it's changed a couple of times, but that's just my speculation. Perhaps the defensive three second rule is disabled where appropriate but zone defenses will still appear on occasion and fouls are still called according to today's standards. That's what I got from that paragraph.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby qfrmcpt310 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:32 am

As far as defensive 3 seconds and the frequency of fouls being called can be adjusted with sliders and a toggle of a setting so Im not really to hung up on those things.
qfrmcpt310

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:04 pm

True, there's always that.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:46 pm

I wonder if they will have different rule sets that you can choose, or if it is automatic based on the home team.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby _Steve_ on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Pdub wrote:I wonder if they will have different rule sets that you can choose, or if it is automatic based on the home team.

I think it - as in case of court and presentation - depends on the home team. Should be the easiest solution...
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby koberulz on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Yeah. Can't imagine playing with no three-point line on the court and three-pointers turned on...
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Assuming the era specific rules are available outside of the NBA's Greatest mode, I'd agree it'll likely be governed by the home team. It could be a case of contemporary rules outside NBA's Greatest though, once the teams are unlocked for use in other modes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:46 pm

(no D-League in My Player this year)

So basically we are getting Elite 11's Be a Pro. I liked the grind fest 2k10 was and 2k11 could be if you bomb everything. Being stuck in the D-League made playing in the NBA more satisfying....

Pretty much confirms that I'm not creating a player for this, only doing NBA Creating a Legend.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:20 am

Well, that might be giving NBA Elite 11's Become Legendary mode a bit too much credit, it wasn't going to be nearly as deep as My Player. There'll still be a lot of room to develop a player with a starting rating in the low 60s. It was cool to have the D-League, but if the ultimate goal is to make the Hall of Fame now then it makes sense to start a player off a little further along this year and focus on their NBA career.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby fjccommish on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:53 pm

"Assuming the era specific rules are available outside of the NBA's Greatest mode, I'd agree it'll likely be governed by the home team. It could be a case of contemporary rules outside NBA's Greatest though, once the teams are unlocked for use in other modes."

Aside from zone D, which will be legal in all era games.
fjccommish

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Yes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K12