NBA Jam available on iPhone & iPod Touch

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA Jam available on iPhone & iPod Touch

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 am

Game is out now.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!! NBA JAM is now ready to rock your iPhone or iPod touch with all the over-the-top, high-flying, 2-on-2 arcade basketball action just like you remember it – and like you’ve never seen before! So go to the hole. Go strong. Go for the monster jam. KABOOM!

HEAT UP ON iPHONE & iPOD TOUCH
Jam with all 30 NBA teams and your favorite NBA stars! Unlock legends from the classic arcade era like Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Dr. J, Scott Skiles, Karl Malone, Detlef Schrempf and Danny Manning, plus some secret players you can only get on iPhone/iPod touch. Unlock outrageous cheats, too. You up for some "Big Head" action?

PLAY NOW! PLAY CLASSIC! PLAY AGAINST A FRIEND!
2 modes of play let you ball the way you want:

• Play Now – Select a team and jump right into the ballgame
  • Classic Campaign – Defeat all other teams to win the championship, and unlock legends, hidden players and cheats
Also select from two different control schemes (D-Pad and gesture-based) and take advantage of the outstanding versatility of your iPhone/iPod touch. Is it the shoes?

YOU'RE ON FIRE!
If you're from the Old School, you'll feel the '90s nostalgia while you play the hottest new arcade sports game on the App Store. Featuring the voice of Tim Kitzrow (the original NBA JAM play-by-play announcer), you'll hear all the classic catchphrases plus a few new ones recorded just for this game. This JAM is all about "boomshakalaka" - and beyond!

phpBB [video]

Screenshots:

Looks alright, I'd be tempted to pick it up if I had an iPhone. Something to kill time with.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NBA Jam coming to iPhone & iPod Touch

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:00 am

Ill definitely pick it up, but I'm going to wait to see if they make an iPad version first or not
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 am

Screenshots:

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Release has been confirmed for this Thursday.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:52 am

EA needs to get their games on Android.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The X on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:22 am

Pdub wrote:EA needs to get their games on Android.

Agreed.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Houndy on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:13 am

That looks better than NBA Elite :lol:
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby JaoSming on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 am

went looking for any mention of an ipad version and found nothing, but I did find this

HEAT UP ON iPHONE & iPOD TOUCH.
Slam and JAM with all 30 NBA teams, favorite NBA stars, dozens of unlockable legends from the classic arcade era, plus some secret players you can only get on iPhone/iPod touch. Unlock outrageous cheats, too. You up for some “Big Head” action?

PLAY NOW! PLAY CLASSIC! IT’S SHOWTIME!
2 modes of play, lets you ball the way you want, including a JAM CAMP Tutorial:=
Play Now – Select a team and jump right into the game
Classic Campaign – Defeat all other teams to win the championship, and unlock legends, hidden players and cheats

DOMNIATE WITH AUTHORITY!
Also select from two different control schemes (D-Pad and gesture-based) and take advantage of the outstanding versatility of your iPhone/iPod touch. Is it the shoes?

YOU’RE ON FIRE!
If you’re from the Old School, you’ll feel the ‘90s nostalgia while you play the hottest new arcade sports game on the App Store. Featuring the voice of Tim Kitzrow the original NBA JAM play-by-play announcer), you’ll hear all the classic catchphrases plus a few new ones recorded just for this game. This JAM is all about “boomshakalaka”!
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:12 am

lol at Bill Clinton trying to check out Palin.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:53 am

Out now for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, at a price of $6.49.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NBA Jam available on iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad

Postby JaoSming on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:00 pm

just picked it up, it was $5 for me.

I was playing on our iPad, so the graphics were jaggy since ipod apps can just be magnified x2 to fit the screen. However the faces did look pretty good and big head mode is even bigger in this version. We are going to sync the iPad and our "old" iPod touch tomorrow so I can try it on the smaller screen. (Ill also get Elite 11 on there too from the sync)

The gameplay is the same pretty much, you gotta shake the thing to do crossovers/spins with the arcade controls and that was just awkward with an iPad. I did notice that it is much easier to "ghost" through other players in this version where if you are too close your shoves or steals don't work. The ball on rim "physics" were pretty bad, very jumpy in their animations, and I had the ball toilet bowl bucket 3 times in 1 game. Um the sound feels just off. Dunks barely make any noise and the crowd is actually really clear sounding, maybe it was just because I had my hand over the speaker but I really liked the oomft that comes with the Wii version when you dunk.

I played the first half with the arcade "button" controls which requires a swipe from the turbo button to the dunk button or the steal button for a bigger? dunk or a shove. I then played the 2nd half with the gesture controls which was a lot better. It goes off a fake dual analog setup which does work pretty well, but my big ass thumbs always get in the way. Hold down to turbo, swipe up for shooting/dunks/blocks, left or right for shoving/stealing, and down for crossover/spin. Tap anywhere on the right side of the screen to pass. The gestures were actually pretty good and I learned them after only a few times up and down the court.

There was an option for "Tag Mode" which I've never seen in the Wii version, didn't try it though.

At the end of the game though, one glaring glitch kinda peeved me. I got a bit mad that the game insisted that the CPU Lakers were going to beat me, as my dunks and open shots were getting blocked or missed, but down 4 with 3 seconds left, I get a dunk, inbound to Kobe who runs to mid court with the announcer saying "He's gotta shoot!" "If it goes they win!" "And by missing that they lose the game!" As Kobe jacks up a half court shot with a 2 point lead.....the game still recognized that I lost, and it was a lot of fun, but still.....

So it only has classic campaign and play now, so basically its the version that was supposed to come with Elite. Doesn't bother me in the least. I liked Remix but IMO it was nothing special so no real loss there.

Overall its fun, a hell of a lot better than NBA Elite on the iPod, and well worth the $5 i dropped on it.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks for the review, sounds decent enough for a mobile version.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Sounds like you forgot how to dunk, Jao. You have to throw it down with skill, releasing at the peak of your jump. :P At least I think that would have been ported into the ipod versions.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:01 am

it didnt seem to be, same with shot "skill" with judging your release point. Ill try to confirm that today.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Return to Other Basketball Games