Houston, We Had A Dynasty - Officially Retired

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Re: 10K Views!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Axel. wrote:Who really has no life to visit a dynasty that's in a half-dead section when there is a flourishing Association section? :lol: That's scary if someone actually does that.

Way to thank the people who got you those 10,000 views. :P
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Oh no! Andrew just double posted! Ban him! :x :banned:

In all seriousness though, Andrew, I was referring to what z02 said about someone viewing this 80 times a day. :wink: If there's anyone who's close to doing that, it's me. :shifty: Seriously though, if anyone was offended, I'm sorry.

Anyways, I'll go back and read this over to pick my top 10 moments of the thread, and put them all in a post. If anyone would like to nominate a moment, feel free to do so. So far, I've got K-Mart's 58 points, the two championships, and......
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Warlock95 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:15 am

The fact that the Lakers never won a ring in the 2010s. Maybe Goodrich cursed KB for stealing his jersey?
I once had a decent signature, then it took an arrow to the knee.
Warlock95

Postby rise on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:57 am

J-Bark #95 wrote:The fact that the Lakers never won a ring in the 2010s

... that's awesome!
Axel. wrote:I was referring to what z02 said about someone viewing this 80 times a day
As I said, I was joking, but it doesn't really matter.

I shall now congratulate you on this milestone for a third time.

Congrats Axel! :P
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:42 am

All in good fun. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Houndy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 am

The LOLcats giving you a scare.
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Axel The Great on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:02 am

J-Bark #95 wrote:The fact that the Lakers never won a ring in the 2010s. Maybe Goodrich cursed KB for stealing his jersey?

I wrote the epilogue, and my hatred for the Lakers probably carried over to it. Hence why they never won a title in the story, and if I kept it going 'til the NBA folded (if, of course), they would've never won one again! :twisted:
z02 wrote: I shall now congratulate you on this milestone for a third time.

Congrats Axel! :P

So what, you have no life so you congratulate me three times on a milestone? :P jk
Andrew wrote:All in good fun. :)

So fun, you posted it twice. :wink:
Houndy wrote:The LOLcats giving you a scare.

Yeah, I had that one in mind, and I'll post the two clutch plays from K-Mart.

So far, I've got five moments: two titles, 58 points, and K-Mart's clutch plays. Any more nominations?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Houndy on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:10 am

Didn't you have a double ot game? If you did those
Houndy

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Axel. wrote:So fun, you posted it twice. :wink:

Owing to the server backup that was running at the time. We always get a few double and triple posts when there's one taking place, indeed I triple posted elsewhere but noticed that one and deleted the two extra posts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:05 am

Houndy, yeah, I did, got that too. And I also had a 20-20 game with Yao in the 2010 playoffs, so that's in as well.

Andrew, all in good fun. :wink: I know an admin would never double-post on his own forum, and sometimes, double-posting happens to me too. :)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Re: Rockets Top 10 Moments

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:59 am

In celebration of 10,000 views of the thread, I've put together the top 10 moments of the dynasty thread. Here they are:

10. The Acquisition of Brad Halstead
In the 2010 NBA Draft, the Rockets did not have any roster space for their second round pick, it being the 60th pick. They pulled out a desperation trade, trading Aussie Forward/Center David Andersen to the Memphis Grizzlies, along with their 60th draft pick. In return, the Rockets received the 38th overall draft pick, Brad Halstead. This would ultimately end up being a huge steal for the Rockets, since Brad Halstead was just a triple-double waiting to happen.

Of course, with his arrival, Halstead was upset at the fact that he would not get any playing time; the Rockets were just too deep at the forward positions. With this, he began to whine, and Kevin Martin shut him up. This would ultimately start a big feud between the two, lasting quite a few months. The Rockets had to send Brad Halstead down to the NBA D-League to separate him from causing any harm to the team chemistry. After a tragic incident to Donte Greene, Halstead was called up to the Houston Rockets, and in his time with the roster again, Shane Battier taught him how to behave, and eventually, Halstead and Martin were on the same page.

9. Double Overtime Loss at Los Angeles
Now you may be asking, why would I put a loss to the team I hate the most in the top 10? One word. Epic. It was a very close game all the way, with Kobe Bryant and Kevin Martin having a scoring duel. The Lakers prevailed with a three-pointer from Jordan Farmar, who had been bricking his shots all game. The Lakers won 129-126.

"I remember that game very well. The crowd was all out against us, and you could tell Kobe wanted revenge from the previous year. The fact that I missed the free throw that could've sealed the game in the first overtime still gets to me, but I calm myself down when I remind myself that I won my second championship that year." - Kevin Martin

8. Yao's 20-20 Game
In Game 2 of the 2010 playoffs, the Rockets faced off against the New Orleans Hornets. Yao Ming was awarded the performer of the game honor, who had monstrous numbers. 22 points, 21 rebounds, two assists, and three blocks in a convincing win against the Hornets. Yao kept that same consistency throughout the rest of the playoffs, and would lead to the Rockets' third franchise championship.

"It felt like every rebound came to me. It was like I was a magnet, and the ball just kept coming down. Credit also has to go to my teammates who were forcing all of those misses, hence all of the rebounds. That had to be one of the top 10 games of my career." - Yao Ming

7. 12-0 Start in the 2009-10 Season
When everyone was ruling the Rockets to be an above-average team, nobody expected a 12-0 start to the season. They challenged their own franchise record of 15-0 set by the '93-'94 Rockets. The teams that fell victim to the Rockets were the Portland TrailBlazers (x2), the Golden State Warriors, the Utah Jazz, the Los Angeles Lakers (x2), the Oklahoma City Thunder, the Dallas Mavericks, the Memphis Grizzlies, the Sacramento Kings, the Phoenix Suns, and the Minnesota Timberwolves. The streak would ultimately end in Atlanta, where the Rockets trailed by as many as 23, managed to get the margin down to five in the fourth, but just couldn't come away with the win.

6. Kevin Martin's Clutch Buzzer-Beater at Charlotte
After trailing the whole game, the Rockets found their way back in the fourth quarter, pouring in 53 points in the second half. Kevin Martin hit a three at the buzzer to tie the game at 92. In overtime, both teams were still neck and neck, and with 30 seconds remaining, Kevin Martin held the ball in front of the halfcourt line. He attempted an off-balance shot, which missed, but Yao was there for the rebound, and kicked it back out to Kevin Martin. He scored the game-winner.

"Yes, I remember that as if it was only yesterday. I was frustrated with my teammates all game for allowing second chance points, but we got our act together in the second half. Those two big shots had to have been the one of the best I've ever taken, especially with the smothering defense that the Bobcats had at the time." - Kevin Martin

5. Kevin Martin Goes 18 Games With 30+
Kevin Martin put together a streak of 18 games with 30+ points. This streak was the longest in franchise history, edging out Moses Malone's previous streak at 13. This all included a 40 point game against the Grizzlies, in which Kevin Martin battled OJ Mayo in an epic scoring duel, Mayo scoring 43 himself.

"Putting together a streak that big is just a huge accomplishment. At the end of the day, that doesn't matter if the team's not winning, but that wasn't the case then. The team lost only three games in that stretch, so you can say that with good teammates, I managed to snag a great record like that." - Kevin Martin

4. Kevin Martin Scores 58
A tremendous individual performance for K-Mart against the Denver Nuggets. He dropped 58, on 19/37 shooting, and a franchise record of most free throws made without a miss, 19/19. Kevin Martin had exactly half of the Rockets points, and was the main key towards their comeback win against the Nuggets.

"It's one thing to have a hot hand, but I had a scorching hand that game. True, there were some no calls in the game, but to pass the 57 points record previously set by Calvin Murphy is just an excellent feeling. Definitely one of the best games of my career." - Kevin Martin

3. Rockets' Repeat
The reason this is lower than the first championship of the dynasty is because this championship was acquired much easier than the first. Yes, the Rockets went 16-1 like in the 2010 playoffs, but they had a much easier time in all of their games.

"Being a part of a championship team is excellent. Contributing to a championship team is an out of this world experience. I feel like I contributed as much as I could to all of the Rockets' championships in my time there. With excellent teammates, there was no way we could lose." - Aaron Brooks

2. 16-Game Win Streak
The Indiana Pacers, the Toronto Raptors, the Boston Celtics, the Miami Heat, the Memphis Grizzlies (x2), the Los Angeles Clippers (x2), the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Portland TrailBlazers, the Charlotte Bobcats, the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Detroit Pistons, the Chicago Bulls, the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Sacramento Kings all fell victim to this period of dominance by the Rockets. The streak however, came to an end at the hands of the Oklahoma City Thunder. A 30-20 game by Kevin Durant, and a 20-point game from LeBron James contributed to that. Still, a win streak that big deserves a lot of merit, as it was the second longest win-streak in franchise history.

1. Rockets' First Championship
Unlike the second championship, the first championship was a bit harder to win for the Rockets. They had some pretty close games in the first two rounds, and lost one game to the Lakers. They swept the Bulls, but it didn't come easy. The fact that Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah seemed to be the only ones trying contributed much to that. But despite the lack of effort from the role players, the Bulls were still able to push the Rockets towards close games.

"They say defense wins championships. But as a coach, I wasn't known for that; I was best known for my offense. Anyone can play defense, as long as you set your mind to it and focus. That's exactly what the Rockets did in my time as their coach." - Rick Adelman

There, the top 10 moments of the thread. I only mentioned the first two seasons, and did not mention anything about the epilogue, since I didn't experience those events first hand. Feel free to discuss the order, or the snubbed moments that didn't show up.
Last edited by Axel The Great on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Re: Top 10 Moments

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 am

Nicely chosen. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby rise on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:37 am

Perfect. (Y)

Proof that K-Mart is a franchise player: he makes up half of your top 10 moments. :D
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby George7 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Really nice moment,and of course the first ring is your top moment (Y)

And I agree totally with z02 about K-Mart.
George7

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Nice article summing up your story. (Y)
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Bucket on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Awesome
Second (Y)
Bucket

Postby Houndy on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:32 am

Nice (Y)
Houndy

Postby Martti. on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 am

Liking it a lot! (Y) That 30+ streak by K-Mart was something else.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Axel The Great on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:49 am

Andrew wrote:Nicely chosen. (Y)

Thanks. :)
z02 wrote:Perfect. (Y)

Proof that K-Mart is a franchise player: he makes up half of your top 10 moments. :D

Thanks. He does make up about half of the 10 moments, that's why he's number one on the top 10 (or 11) Rockets of the thread. :)
George7 wrote:Really nice moment,and of course the first ring is your top moment (Y)

And I agree totally with z02 about K-Mart.

There was really no competition from the Nets in the second championship, so the first championship had to be the top moment. :)
Sit wrote:Nice article summing up your story. (Y)

Wow, thanks Sit. :) I'm a little surprised to see you here.
Valdis wrote:Awesome
Second (Y)

Houndy wrote:Nice (Y)

Thanks guys.
Martti. wrote:Liking it a lot! (Y) That 30+ streak by K-Mart was something else.

Very hard to assemble a streak like that. I kind of force-fed him the ball in some games, sometimes it just came to him. Still, he'd score about 15 points in every first quarter. :lol:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:10 am

Loved it Axel (Y) K-Mart!
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Justine. on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Loving all these end-features. K-Mart really carried your team on this!
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby Axel The Great on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks Justine., and Thierry •! K-Mart really was a franchise player and I plan to make him one in my association as well. :)

Alright guys, just need to make the closing/retiring post, and then this will officially be over. :cry:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:04 am

Sounds good. As I said before, I'll leave the thread active here in the main Dynasty section for a few days after that final post so people can offer their final comments, then I'll move it over to the Hall of Fame. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Houndy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:49 am

All I have to say, is that this dynasty is one I read a lot. Glad this is going to where it deserves, the HOF
Houndy

Postby rise on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 am

Yeah, it's really one of the only ones I actually kept up with all the time, not just dropping in every once in a while like the majority of the dynasties/assoc. I'll do the same in your next one Axel. (Y)
rise
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame