Online Series (AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, web comics etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Online Series (AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, web comics etc)

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:29 pm

We've had a couple of individual threads for online series here in the Entertainment section before but neither really took off, so I thought perhaps we could try a central thread for all online series such as the Angry Video Game Nerd, Nostalgia Critic, web comics and so on. The ones you like, the ones you don't like, favourite episodes/strips, latest episodes/strips...talk about it here.

So...who's a fan, and what are the ones you watch/read most often?

Mine:

- Angry Video Game Nerd
- Nostalgia Critic, Ask That Guy With The Glasses and Doug's specials/sketches (don't really check out Bum Reviews that much)
- Nostalgia Chick
- LordKat's Until We Win

I'll also check out videos from the Blistered Thumbs team, Angry Joe and other TGWTG members from time to time. I really enjoyed Kickassia earlier this year, indeed I'm thinking about buying the DVD.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Online Series (AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, web comics etc)

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:23 am

Definitely with you on ChannelAwesome crew. 90% of them put out really quality stuff, even if i dont like their "character" or content that much: theres alot of work put into all the editing and jokes. Fantastic standard of quality other.

I used to watch AVGN but he's bored me lately.

The Guild may be the best webseries I've ever seen, especially seasons 1 and 3 (havent watched 4 yet)

IllwillPress-The Cult of Foamy pulled me in and will never let me go. He may be a whiny goth kid, but the shit JIM puts out is hysterical and few things on the web have made me laugh as hard as Foamy the Squirrel has over the years.

Xkcd-awesome webcomic
used to enjoy Dark Legacy comics when I was a WoW geek.
Penny Arcade and the usual geeky regulars
Scott Johnson, no matter which series is pretty hysterical also.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby JaoSming on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 am

AVGN whenever it's on Gametrailers

Zero Punctuation every Wednesday

I used to watch the screw attack videos on GT but that kind of whimpered away.

I also catch Halo Reach: Fails of the Weak (haha, puns) from Achievement Hunter, Halo/CoD "Top 10 Series", and I'm subscribed to numerous other Halo Fails series'.

If it starts getting consistent it would be nice, but I follow Botchamania closely.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lamrock on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am

I read Dinosaur Comics and watch The Basketball Jones daily. Used to watch Zero Punctuation, but kinda lost interest.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Oznogrd wrote:Definitely with you on ChannelAwesome crew. 90% of them put out really quality stuff, even if i dont like their "character" or content that much: theres alot of work put into all the editing and jokes. Fantastic standard of quality other.

Absolutely, their work is really impressive. I haven't watched this week's Nostalgic Critic yet, I'll post some thoughts in this thread once I do.

Oznogrd wrote:I used to watch AVGN but he's bored me lately.

Would you say that because he's gone to a lighter schedule with the AVGN episodes (and thus there's a lot of build up for one video a month) or you're just not into the videos anymore? I'm still enjoying what he's producing, it's a shame there's only one per month but understandable given his other projects. What do you think of the AVGN movie he's hinted at?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:40 am

Andrew wrote:Would you say that because he's gone to a lighter schedule with the AVGN episodes (and thus there's a lot of build up for one video a month) or you're just not into the videos anymore? I'm still enjoying what he's producing, it's a shame there's only one per month but understandable given his other projects. What do you think of the AVGN movie he's hinted at?

I guess its just he's done so many games and so many episodes he's getting to a point where i've never even remotely heard of the things he's playing. And then things like revisiting Back to the Future feel like cheating to me. My interest with him was mainly old games i used to rent or own that i actually enjoyed as a kid but are truly terrible. Its like he focuses too much on his other projects rather than AVGN. I wouldnt even mind if he did current and less nostalgic reviews, but do stuff people know/have heard of

Im not so sure about an avgn movie, i dont like most of his eps where he brings in Bugs/Spidey/the characters torturing him in game. A few times its been funny but most of the time it falls flat for me. I get the feeling the movie would include alot of that.

Forgot zero punctuation. Love his crazy british/aussie ass.
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Fair enough. I don't mind most of the episodes with those elements but I don't think you're alone in preferring the more straightforward reviews. I see what you mean about reviewing lesser known titles making for less interesting episodes, sometimes I've thought the same about some of the Nostalgic Critic episodes but sometimes my unfamiliarity with the game or movie helps make the episode entertaining. His four part series on Castlevania last October were some of my favourite AVGN episodes.

Watched the latest Critic ep on Waterworld. To this day I've never watched the whole thing and I can't say I'm compelled to after watching the review. As usual, he managed to put a humourous spin on what really does seem to be as mediocre a movie as I've heard it to be.

There's a new Nostalgia Chick up today as well, Man in the Iron Mask. Pretty good, nice to see her producing some new stuff.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:08 pm

New AVGN is out and it's a clip show. It's understandable due to his other projects taking up his time but still a little disappointing since he's only doing one episode a month. Having said that, some of the comments on the video are positively eye-rolling, calling him lazy and whatnot. I guarantee the people posting stuff like that aren't doing anything near as creative or productive with their time. As I said, it was disappointing to get a clip show (and if you've seen his past Christmas specials, you can certainly skip it) but flat out bashing just isn't cool. I guess it reminds me too much of the people who complain when the new rosters are delayed or when Player X doesn't have an overall rating they think is right. ;)

Watched this week's Nostalgia Critic too, Little Monsters; another one I'd never seen or heard of but I enjoyed the review immensely nevertheless. Looks like Daniel Stern really phoned it in on that one, admittedly the review's only giving us clips but it certainly looked like he was just reading his lines in every scene. Loved the montage riff and callback to "FOOD", too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:00 am

AVGN was really disappointing.....the past Christmas specials (as shown in the clip show) were epic. I wish he could throw some more ads on the videos through GT or somewhere to make some money off the videos so he can prioritize them to do more.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:55 am

Apparently he's got a lot of freelance work going at the moment which limits his time for AVGN. However, it seems as though there is a Christmas special this year; it's posted on his YouTube account but not GameTrailers as yet.

phpBB [video]

Not my favourite ep but a pretty good parody all the same and better than a clip show.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:23 am

a lot better than the clip show, glad we got something new new this week i mean month
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:36 am

Strange it's not up on GT, they usually get the episodes before they go up on James' YouTube account.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:46 pm

The last two Nostalgia Critics have been good as usual. Rover Dangerfield is another one I've never seen, though as usual that didn't stop me from enjoying the review. The Christmas episode was really good, I enjoyed all the cameos and the inversion of the standard "It's a Wonderful Life" homage.

There's a new Nostalgia Chick up as well, a video essay/editorial on Dreamworks vs Disney. I like that she mixes it up with those videos in addition to the standard reviews, she tends to do a good job with them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:07 am

Nostalgia Chick has concluded her Dreamworks vs Disney editorial. Her point about affectionate parodies vs parodies based on dislike or bitterness, echoing Mel Brooks' thoughts on the matter, certainly resonated with me. It's one of the reasons I gripe about potshots in comedy shows these days; a parody based on dislike can work if it's clever, funny and actually has a point, but so often they're pretty much rants against stuff the writers don't like, shots at former employers or people they have bad blood with and worst of all, they're usually no deeper than "this sucks" (a point on which the audience might or might not agree).

This week's Nostalgia Critic introduces what appears to be a new concept that he'll pull out from time to time (like Old vs New and the Top 11s), Raiders of the Lost Story Arc where he looks back at early episodes of TV shows to see how they hold up. Fittingly enough, he's started with the 1987 series of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. As much as TMNT is a treasured childhood memory, I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with the review. Looking back on those early episodes as an adult, you're so much more aware of some of the cheesiness, the plot holes and the like, but it doesn't completely destroy your fond memories of them either. There are quite a few full eps on YouTube, if you were a fan as a kid in the 80s/early 90s it's worth looking them up when you've got nothing better to do, either before or after you watch the NC review. I'd suggest your experience will be similar.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:29 am

Zero Punctuation was a clip show this week but the Achievement Hunter guys started a new series called Achievement HORSE which is fun to watch. Me and a few buddies are working on some HORSE maps for our own competition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz9mSFNkQyM
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:33 am

That was pretty cool. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:39 am

Wasnt a fan (usually arent) of ZP's clipshow. I liked the bit at the beginning better than the clips.

Oddly enough ive watched his reviews for batman and ass creed II (my xmas acquisitions ive played) and it seems he's pretty spot on even if i dont think something is as gamebreaking as he does.

Achievement Horse may be the best idea i've seen in awhile
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:12 am

Nostalgia Chick has a new bloopers video up to ring in the new year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 am

new Zero, Top 5 and Bottom 5 for the year.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -5-of-2010

2 indies and 3 sandboxes for top 5, and I did feel a bit of rage when he joked about Reach
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:25 am

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 am

Awesome, I'll check that out at some point today.

The Critic has begun sequel month with The Neverending Story 3. I remember seeing the original as a kid but I can't recall seeing the sequels; as always with the stuff he reviews that I haven't seen, that's probably for the best. His out of character Best and Worst Movies of 2010 is worth watching too. LordKat's latest Until We Win is another impressive effort.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:28 am

Nerd was actually pretty funny. Not really a broken game like in some of the recent ones, but just really bad gameplay/premise.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 am

Checked it out and I'd have to agree. His suggestion of the kid waking up holding his teacher's severed head (and the depiction of it) was hilarious, one of the funniest moments in a while. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:38 am

I just watched all the "Immersion" episodes on Red v Blue, pretty good series. They "test" how realistic video game stuff is. Like online trash talk messing with your shooting, 3rd person view driving, 3rd person view sidescrolling, food heals you, how mobile are you when carrying all the weapons from Doom, and Zombie Headshots (below).

phpBB [video]

It is pretty funny seeing the faces behind RvB too.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Watched the latest Nostalgia Critic today. The Secret of NIMH 2 sure seemed to miss the point/tone of the first movie; I'm not one to hate sequels purely because they're sequels but all the movies he's done for Sequel Month have been textbook examples of why they're not always such a good idea.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to Off-Topic