Fallout: New Vegas

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout: New Vegas

Postby dopeboy on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:43 am

Level 26. There isn't much change from Fallout 3, imo, but it's still as addictive.I don't quite get the point of this game at the moment, though - is it the fight with the Legion or killing Benny or Mr House?
"Fighting for peace, is like fucking for virginity" - George Carlin
dopeboy
as deadly as can be

Postby Lamrock on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 am

Its really up to you. What I love about this game as opposed to Fallout 3 is just how much choice you have. The point is to reprimand Benny, then get the platinum chip. Once you have it, you can choose to do the bidding of the best/most lucrative faction with it. You basically decide the fate of the Mojave wasteland.
Lamrock

Postby el badman on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:52 am

Level 15 right now and still hopelessly addicted to this thing...Getting more frequent crashes though, mostly if I try to rest/sleep. That's pretty fucking annoying.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lamrock on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:47 am

Level 20 for me. I have yet to experience any crashes in my 360 version. However, there's this broken quest where you need to defuse this monorail bomb but whenever you step inside, you're glitched out of it, and have to watch it go off and explode. About 33 hours in. Still loving the far more complex quests and story. Right now, I just took over Vegas and am trying to win the NCR back over

Do you have the game yet Andrew?
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Not yet, it's the price I'm paying for being frugal. :lol: With bills, birthdays and Christmas coming up though, I still made the right call. Just a little frustrating to know that it's in store now but I've got to wait because I've got a copy on the way; same deal with Smackdown vs RAW 2011. Here's hoping they both arrive tomorrow.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:03 pm

How is this game compared to the 3? Is the world bigger and has more NPCs to interact? Those 2 things alone would make it a better game I think.

Can't wait till the semester is over so I can get my hands on this game. :(
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Lamrock on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 am

The world is definitely bigger (or at least has more locations), and there are not only more NPCs to interact with, but ways to interact with them. The core gameplay hasn't been improved much, and its even glitchier than F3, but nothing quite game-breaking.

Why I prefer this to 3 is that the choices you make are far more complex and you actually role-play. Little changes (even outside of hardcore mode!) make the game more difficult like enemies actually being able to hurt you in VATS and perks only being awarded every 2 levels.

Obsidian did a great job. Really hope Bethesda continues to outsource Fallout to them.
Lamrock

Postby Lean on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:10 am

Lamrock wrote:...and perks only being awarded every 2 levels.

I think that's how it works in Fallout and Fallout 2.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:42 am

Lamrock wrote:Obsidian did a great job. Really hope Bethesda continues to outsource Fallout to them.

So, not quite the disaster you were predicting?

Meanwhile, still waiting. :(
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby el badman on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 am

Lean wrote:
Lamrock wrote:...and perks only being awarded every 2 levels.

I think that's how it works in Fallout and Fallout 2.

I haven't played the first 2, only Fallout 3, so I felt a bit ripped off by this and installed a mod that gives a new perk for every level... :shifty:
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 am

Not yet speaking from experience, I'm in two minds about that. I don't feel it's a huge problem to grant perks at every level since it offers more opportunities to try out the "flavour" perks, but on some of my Fallout 3 playthroughs I admittedly found myself at times picking certain perks for the sake of having to pick one to advance. I'll give it a go as-is but if it bothers me I'll check out that mod.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:25 am

Yeah, it was every 3 in the first two, which I think is better. You kind of have to specialize in this game. You can't be a jack-of-all-trades, master of all with every perk that counts.

Funnily enough, there was a popular F3 mod that made perks every 2 or 3 levels.
Lamrock

Postby NovU on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Though I'd love a perk each level up, it doesn't sound like a huge deal to me. It was always about the huge open world and interactions for me in this game. Now I really can't wait to get this game. I went to a futureshop last night and this was going $49.99 + HST here. Hope the price goes down in a month.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:52 am

Game arrived this afternoon, so that's what I've been doing this evening.

Really enjoying it so far, as I figured I would. I realise the graphics and game engine are a little too outdated for some people's tastes but to be honest that's not bothering me at all. I'm currently at the Strip, having just killed Benny and deciding where I want to branch off with the main quest. I'm fine with perks at every two levels (coming up on Level 10), with all the story branching options I expect I'll have a few playthroughs before the next Fallout comes out so I'll get to try them all our along with the different perks. Nice to see some of my favourite perks from Fallout 3 were retained, can't wait to get Grim Reaper's Sprint again.

Must admit I'm not going for Hardcore Mode this time around. I'll save that for a subsequent playthrough after I've gotten to know the game as well as I did Fallout 3, right now I just want to have fun as the story unfolds and I explore everything. Certainly having a blast with it so far.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:03 pm

Not sure about Hardcore mode, since you only get one save file. The game has frozen on me only a handful of times in 40 hours logged, but enough to beware.

Pretty close to the end. Allied with the NCR. Trying to ally with the BoS as well to get some Power Armor though
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:40 pm

The one save file is a bit excessive. True, it's certainly hardcore, but when glitches can happen and saves can be corrupted...yeah, it's going a little overboard with the concept.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Near the end of the game, but on a whim decided to see if I could kill Caesar. Got about 70 Stimpaks and stormed The Fort. Took a couple tries, but I managed to take him, as well as pretty much every Legionary ever out. Will likely reload to my old save though, as I don't know what the implications are.
Lamrock

Postby Lean on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:33 am

Andrew wrote:
Lamrock wrote:Obsidian did a great job. Really hope Bethesda continues to outsource Fallout to them.

So, not quite the disaster you were predicting?

Meanwhile, still waiting. :(

Same here. :(
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:10 am

Sorry to hear it Lean. My wait's over, not to rub it in or anything. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:27 am

:shake: Well now that's just rude. :scold: :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:16 pm

I know, couldn't resist. ;) I'd deem it well worth the wait, however.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby el badman on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 am

Lean wrote::shake: Well now that's just rude. :scold: :lol:

Nah, that would have been rude:

el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:44 am

phpBB [video]
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:46 am

el badman wrote:
Lean wrote::shake: Well now that's just rude. :scold: :lol:

Nah, that would have been rude:

I will avenge myself. Remember that. :shake: :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Its_asdf on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:13 pm

So I decided to forego buying 2k11 and bought this game instead.

With this being my very first Fallout game ever, I must say that I'm disappointed that I missed out on playing FO 3.

I'm a Guns/Survival guy at level 9 right now, just beat the Helios One quest. Sometimes I'm just ovewhelmed with the amount of decisions that I can make that I force myself to stop playing because I'm such a freak when it comes to exploring and knowing every single path taken or unexplored areas in a game.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic