Andrew's 06 Bulls, Part 2 :: 07/08 (October 2007)

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Andrew's 06 Bulls, Part 2 :: 2006/07 (December 2006)

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:40 pm

December 24th, 2006
LA Clippers (102) at Chicago (110)
Gordon scores 51 as Bulls edge Clippers

[ Boxscore ]

Gordon's 51 points were a season high

Ben Gordon and the Chicago Bulls delivered an early Christmas present to their fans tonight, as last year's Finals MVP poured in a season high 51 points and made eight three pointers as the defending champions edged a determined Los Angeles Clippers team 110-102 in the United Center. Corey Maggette top scored for the Clippers with 33 points and Cuttino Mobley added 30 of his own as they made the Bulls work hard for their fifteenth consecutive victory.

From the opening tip, two things were apparent: Gordon was in for a big night and the Clippers were not intimidated by the hometown Bulls. Gordon made his first three shots but the teams traded baskets early as Mobley matched Gordon's 12 first quarter points with 10 of his own. Chicago appeared to have taken control by the end of the first quarter but found themselves struggling to keep pace with the Clippers in the second quarter as Gordon and Mobley continued their shootout, matching their first quarter totals with 12 and 10 points respectively. Los Angeles dominated the boards and made the Bulls pay for poor shots, pushing the ball and racing out to an eight point lead as the period wore on. Gordon's sharpshooting kept Chicago in the game however as his three pointer with three seconds left tied the game at 51 heading into halftime.

The third quarter began with both teams feeling each other out, with a few rushed shots and sloppy turnovers. Former Bull Elton Brand would carry the Clippers in the third period scoring eight points and helping them lead by as many as six, but Gordon continued his onslaught with 11 points including three more three pointers to finish the third quarter with 35 points while putting the Bulls up 79-73. Mobley would cool off in the third, scoring just four points but continued to contribute by playing the passing lanes and finding his teammates, ultimately finishing with five assists and two steals.

The fourth quarter would belong to Gordon and Maggette as each scored 16 points as each team tried to gain the upper hand. Having cooled off from beyond the arc, Gordon began attacking the basket, making acrobatic finishes at the rim and drawing two shooting fouls. Though Chicago held the lead through the entire quarter, the Clippers constantly threatened to take it back behind Maggette's scoring barrage and it was not until the Bulls extended the lead to ten with under a minute left in the game. Fouled late, Gordon made two free throws to top the 50 point mark for the first time this season and help seal a fifteenth straight victory for the Bulls.

Chicago's bench was oddly quiet in the game as they combined for just twelve points and shot the ball poorly. The starters would end up playing the entire fourth quarter as the game hung in the balance. "We need to step up," said Mike James, who played 11 minutes off the bench and was held scoreless having missed all five of his field goal attempts. "Ben shot the lights out tonight and all our starters played great, but we (bench players) need to have their backs." Both Tyson Chandler and Carlos Boozer registered double-doubles for the Bulls, with Chandler posting 12 points and 11 rebounds and Boozer tallying 17 points and 13 rebounds. Luol Deng had a solid all around game with eight points, seven rebounds and six assists while Kirk Hinrich also handed out six assists in addition to scoring 10 points.

For the Clippers, Maggette added 9 rebounds to his team high 33 points but had seven turnovers. Brand posted a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds and Andre Miller handed out eight assists but scored just four points on 2/6 shooting. Rookie Zachary Nugent had his hands full guarding Boozer but posted a respectable 8 points and 10 rebounds in eighteen minutes off the bench while Vic Kirk scored just four points in nine minutes.

The Bulls do not play again until December 28th, where they will attempt to win their sixteenth in a row against the Toronto Raptors. The Clippers play host to the Detroit Pistons tomorrow, one of seven games that will be played on Christmas Day.

Notes: The Clippers had a 47-38 advantage on the boards, also edging the Bulls in offensive rebounds 16-15...Los Angeles shot 53.5% from the field compared to 49.4% by the Bulls, but were just 1/10 from three point range compared the Bulls' 10/26...the Clippers were whistled for 21 fouls to the Bulls' 11...the two teams combined for 42 turnovers (22 by Los Angeles, 20 by Chicago)...Elton Brand's scoring average has dropped by just under six points per game during the month of December.

Current Record: 22-4
Next Game: @ Toronto Raptors; 12-14 (December 28th)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby George7 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:50 pm

Nice to see you back in action!

What a huge night by Gordon!
That's why he's my favourite player(along with Rose)!

It seems that the Clippers are though nuts to crack in many dynasties
George7

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks. :) I was hoping I'd have a shot at the three point record but the shots weren't falling in the fourth and I ultimately just lowered his percentages. I also accidentally put up a terrible three with Gordon in the third when I meant to fake the shot and held the button a fraction too long, if not for that attempt and a couple of other overzealous ones I'd have been able to have him finish 8/11. Still, by my standards, 8/14 isn't too shabby!

It was nice to feel a bit more challenged, at first I thought it was just a bit of rust having not played for a couple of weeks and that might've been part of it but they were coming at me pretty hard and I felt the comeback AI trying to have its way in the fourth. I doubt I'll go undefeated the rest of the way, the AI will prevail at some point, but I want to break some records first. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby George7 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:27 am

Watching the Clippers that good,I'm curious to see how other teams will play,who are ,in fact,more powerful than the Clips!

you will have a great competition in those games :wink:
George7

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:52 am

Recently it's been the struggling/mediocre teams that have given me the most challenge. A chip on their shoulder and a point to prove, I guess. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:00 am

A solid win! Gordon was just huge! I think your bench should step up the next few games, and I see you didn't struggle much with your long-range shooting. (Y)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks. The bench has been pretty good but they just weren't in tune in that one. I kind of felt it would be a bit night for Gordon when he made his first three shots, I know that's not necessarily anything special but the feeling was there and when I kept knocking down the threes, I had a feeling 50 was in reach as the game progressed.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 pm

December 28th, 2006
Chicago (111) at Toronto (107)
Bulls win sixteenth straight, but lose Deng

[ Boxscore ]

Traded for one another in November, Mike James and Chris Duhon both had a point to prove

Even though he was limited to just 28 minutes due to foul trouble, the Chicago Bulls got a good look at Chris Bosh, a free agent they are likely to be courting come this offseason. Bosh scored 27 points and grabbed nine rebounds including seven at the offensive end as the Raptors delivered a spirited performance but it would not be enough as the Bulls withstood poor shooting and a fourth quarter run to win their sixteenth straight game, 111-107.

Approaching the franchise's all-time record for consecutive wins, the Bulls quickly discovered that the Raptors had no intention of being steamrolled at home as they found themselves struggling to keep pace and in early foul trouble. Ben Gordon was forced to leave the game with 8:53 remaining in the first quarter having picked up two quick fouls, however the Bulls soon recaptured the lead behind the hot shooting of Kyle Korver, who scored 12 points in the period.

Gordon returned to score 10 points in the second as the teams continued to trade slim leads, but taking an early seat appeared to disrupt his shooting rhythm. Fresh off a 51 point game where he shot 19/30 from the field and made eight three pointers, Gordon finished with 19 points shooting 7/24 from the field and just 2/11 from beyond the arc. Bosh was spectacular for the Raptors in the first half however, crashing the boards and slipping by Carlos Boozer for easy baskets, finishing the second quarter with 18 points as Toronto trailed by two at the half, 61-59.

The third quarter began badly for the Bulls as Luol Deng was forced to leave the game with an apparent elbow injury at the 11:06 mark following a collision with Bosh and did not return. Chicago recovered however and led by Hinrich's 10 points in the period they outscored Toronto 30-17 and appeared to have the game in hand heading into the fourth quarter.

Toronto were far from down however as former Bull Chris Duhon led a charge that saw the Raptors quickly erase the Bulls' double-digit lead, which had swelled to as many as fifteen during the third quarter. Duhon finished with 16 points, 6 assists and 4 rebounds but also committed eight turnovers. The Raptors at one point cut the deficit to three but the Bulls ultimately would not relinquish the lead as Gordon made two free throws that put the Bulls up 109-104 with just under ten seconds remaining. Kirk Hinrich then deflected a pass by Tyronn Lue into the backcourt and out of bounds, running precious seconds off the clock. Korver then intercepted a pass intended for Morris Peterson, forcing the Raptors to foul and put him on the line where he made both for a 111-104 lead. Rookie Declan Akinwade, who had an impressive nine point, five rebound performance in just five minutes of play, then made a three pointer as time expired to close the gap for a final score of 111-107.

Korver led the Bulls with 24 points off the bench, shooting 9/16 from the field. Carlos Boozer registered yet another double-double with 22 points and 12 rebounds, scoring 10 of his points in the fourth quarter. Kirk Hinrich had a fine all-around game with 18 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds and 4 steals. Mike James added 13 points and 3 assists off the bench against his former club. For the Raptors, rookie Liu Kuffour tallied a double-double with 14 points and 11 assists while Morris Peterson had 18 points and seven assists.

Notes: Chicago won the battle of the boards, grabbing 47 rebounds to 41 by the Raptors including a 20-14 edge on the offensive glass...both teams made twelve free throws, with the Bulls attempting sixteen and the Raptors attempting fifteen...Toronto assisted on 27 of their 45 field goals. The Bulls tallied 21 assists on 46 field goals...the Bulls are now two wins shy of their all-time record of eighteen consecutive wins, set during the historic 1995/1996 season.

Current Record: 23-4
Next Game: vs Oklahoma City Thunder; 16-13 (December 30th)

December 29th, 2006
Deng to miss two weeks with sprained elbow

CHICAGO, IL -- Bulls' starting small forward Luol Deng is expected to miss up to two weeks with a sprained right elbow. The injury occurred with 11:06 remaining in the third quarter of Chicago's 111-107 victory over the Raptors in Toronto last night when Deng attempted to block a layup attempt by Chris Bosh, resulting in a hard collision that sent both players to the floor. While Bosh was quick to get up, Deng landed awkwardly and emerged grimacing and clutching at his arm. He sat out the rest of the game and while x-rays were negative, further tests indicated a moderate sprain.

Deng is averaging 12.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg and 2.3 apg while shooting 55% from the field. Kyle Korver, acquired in a trade with the Philadelphia 76ers back in November, is expected to start in his place.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby George7 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Great win!
Korver was the MVP for sure in that match!
Really bored with Deng being injured in every Bulls dynasty!
George7

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:19 pm

George7 wrote:Really bored with Deng being injured in every Bulls dynasty!

Not unrealistic, though. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Looking through this dynasty and the fact that your players get injuries really makes me want to start an 06 one again. Might wait for the next PC project update though, whenever that's out.

16 straight wins is a great achievement, keep up the good work (y)
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby George7 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Andrew wrote:
George7 wrote:Really bored with Deng being injured in every Bulls dynasty!

Not unrealistic, though. ;)

Unfortunately yes.it happens every year in the reality too :evil: :evil:

Trade Deng!!
George7

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:17 am

badreligionau wrote:16 straight wins is a great achievement, keep up the good work (y)

Thanks. :) Unfortunately, the streak has ended there. :(

December 30th, 2006
Oklahoma City (120) at Chicago (110)
Thunder ends Bulls' streak at sixteen

[ Boxscore ]

A dejected Bulls team leaves the court after their first loss in seventeen games

Rashard Lewis scored the first seven points of the game and the Oklahoma City Thunder never looked back, as they ended the Chicago Bulls' winning streak at sixteen to the disappointment of a raucous United Center crowd. Lewis finished with 36 points and scored 15 in the final quarter as the Thunder withstood one final run by the Bulls. Carlos Boozer scored a team high 30 points for Chicago to go along with 9 rebounds and Ben Gordon added 22 points but struggled with his shot going 10/26 from the field including 1/9 from downtown. Kyle Korver was the only other Bull in double figures, scoring 17 and starting in place of an injured Luol Deng.

After Korver's three interrupted Lewis' opening barrage, the Bulls appeared to have found their footing as they calmly made their way back into the game but soon found themselves down 22-16, a sign of things to come. They appeared to be gaining momentum as the first quarter ended but went ice cold to begin the second quarter, missing five straight shots and allowing the Thunder to go up by as many as twelve midway through the period. Gordon scored 11 points as Chicago tried to stop the bleeding but the Thunder still held a five point lead at halftime.

Chicago's desperation was apparent in the third quarter as they alternated between urgent three point shots and pounding the ball inside to Boozer. Kirk Hinrich sat out most of the quarter after picking up his fourth personal foul. Mike James would play 27 minutes filling in for Hinrich and dished out eight assists but scored just six points and was 1/6 from the field. Still, the Bulls managed to claw their way back into the game after again falling behind by twelve and appeared on the verge of a comeback when a couple of second chance baskets by Danny Fortson late in the quarter gave the Thunder a seven point lead heading into the fourth.

The Bulls entered the fourth quarter with a sense of urgency, again alternating between a long range attack and feeding the post. They would cut the deficit to two and appeared to be in position to complete a comeback as they trailed 102-100 late in the game, but a misfire by Gordon led to a fast break dunk by Lewis, a blown opportunity from which Chicago would not recover. The Thunder would ultimately seal the game from the free throw line as the Bulls desperate attempts to steal the ball put them in the penalty with just under two minutes left to play.

"What can you say? Of course we're disappointed," Gordon commented after the game. "They outplayed us tonight. We're proud of what we've been able to do these past sixteen games but we let ourselves and our fans down tonight. For the streak to end here in Chicago is heartbreaking. We really wanted to make history." Bulls coach Andrew Begley was slightly more upbeat. "If there's a silver lining here, there's some pressure off us now. I know this team is going to want to redeem themselves and I expect us to bounce back sooner rather than later."

Notes: Oklahoma City outrebounded Chicago 48-39 though the Bulls had the edge 17-14 at the offensive end...Rashard Lewis scored 50 points the first time the two teams met earlier this season...the Thunder were 18/19 from the free throw line, the Bulls were 12/16...all five starters for Oklahoma City scored in double digits. Vladimir Radmanovic registered a double-double with 11 points and a career high 19 rebounds.

Current Record: 23-5
Next Game: @ Philadelphia 76ers; 14-13 (December 31st)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Bucket on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:27 am

Thunder time :cool:
Bad about your winning streak is over :(
Bucket

Postby George7 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:23 am

Thunder!? :(

back to winning @ Phila though!
George7

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:10 am

Indeed. :)

December 31st, 2006
Chicago (122) at Philadelphia (99)
Bulls end 2006 on a high note, rout Sixers

[ Boxscore ]

Kyle Korver scored 31 points against his old team

A night after their sixteen game winning streak came to an end the Bulls got back to business, routing the Sixers 122-99 in front of a subdued Wachovia Center crowd. Former Sixer Kyle Korver scored a season high 31 points in his return to Philadelphia and Ben Gordon added 29 of his own to go along with seven assists. Andre Iguodala top scored for the Sixers with 24 points and also had seven rebounds and five assists in the loss. Perennial All-Star Allen Iverson handed out eight assists but shot a dismal 3/15 from the field for just six points.

The teams traded baskets through most of the first quarter until the Bulls pulled away behind 13 first quarter points from Ben Gordon. Gordon, who had shot the ball poorly in the previous two games, finished 9/18 from the field and was 3/4 from three point range. Chicago began to pull away in the second quarter as Korver scored 15 on a blistering 6/7 from the field and a perfect 3/3 from downtown, the third coming as the second quarter buzzer sounded to put the Bulls up ten at halftime.

The second half belonged to Chicago as they opened the third quarter with an 8-0 run to stretch the lead out to 18. Chicago's dominance silenced the Philadelphia crowd, who remained unusually quiet the rest of the game outside reacting to a couple of dunks. "We could hear every jeer from about ten rows back," veteran Chris Webber said after the game. "We embarrassed ourselves in the second half and our fans let us know about it." The Sixers managed to cut the deficit to twelve on two occasions as Mashburn and Iguodala both made some spectacular threes including 35 footer from Iguodala that banked in to beat the shot clock but Chicago continued to stay out of reach, leading by fifteen heading into the fourth quarter.

It would be more of the same in the final period as Chicago finally ran their lead out to 20 and pulled their starters for good with just under three minutes left in the game. All five of their starters scored in double digits with Chandler also adding 16 rebounds. Mike James scored 14 points in 17 minutes off the bench for the Bulls. Mashburn scored 17 for the Sixers while Webber had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 3 assists in a losing effort. Rookie guard Chinua Lenard, the 22nd overall pick in the 2006 Draft, scored 11 points off the bench.

Notes: Chicago edged Philadelphia in rebounding 36-34...Chicago shot 61.9% in the first quarter and 63.6% in the second...Chicago is 15-1 on the road compared to 9-4 at home...Trevor Ariza scored 6 points in 21 minutes off the bench against his former team. He was traded for Kyle Korver on November 29th...Luol Deng missed his second straight game with a sprained elbow. He may be back earlier than expected.

Current Record: 24-5
Next Game: @ Toronto Raptors; 13-17 (January 3rd)

Coming soon, the December recap.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:50 am

Shame the losing streak came to an end, damn that Rashard Lewis. :x Good to see you got back to business though, that Sixers win is sure to ignite a 20+-game win streak maybe? :wink:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:36 am

Here's hoping, I was hoping I might be able to ultimately challenge the Lakers' record but I at least wanted to make it nineteen straight. Shame I won't have a chance to get revenge on the Thunder, unless I meet them in the Finals. That might prove to be quite a battle.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:06 am

What a game by Rashard, at least you reached the Sweet 16 in straight wins :lol: Korver got your winning streak back with that great performance.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
X-Men: The Animated Series ×
× Watched:
Thief (1981), The Pigeon Tunnel (2023), Kindergarten Cop (1990) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Lamrock on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:03 am

Repeat odds are looking pretty good. Here's hoping for a 49-4 finish to the season. (Y)
Lamrock

Postby Martti. on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Korver is tha man! I remember in my Heat, he had 32 against the Sixers. :lol:

If he keeps this up, Deng's absence won't be too bad. :P
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks for checking in guys. :) I do like my chances of repeating but I'm really hoping a couple of big names make it through to the open free agency period. Not that I'd need them per se but I reckon it'll keep things interesting. Should hopefully have the December recap up later tonight.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Andrew's 06 Bulls, Part 2 :: 2006/07 (January 2007)

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:49 am

December 2006 Recap

Record: 24-5
Team Stats

Team Leaders

PPG: Ben Gordon; 21.8 ppg
RPG: Carlos Boozer; 10.1 rpg
APG: Kirk Hinrich; 6.9 apg
BPG: Tyson Chandler; 1.24 bpg
SPG: Kirk Hinrich; 1.4 spg

The Chicago Bulls were on fire in December, extending their winning streak out to sixteen before succumbing to the Oklahoma City Thunder at home, finishing 14-1 on the month and 24-5 on the season. They also suffered a blow on December 28th in a win over the Toronto Raptors when starting small forward Luol Deng suffered a severe elbow sprain. He is expected back in early January.

MVP Candidates

As the Mavericks have remained one of the top teams in the league, second only to the Bulls, Dirk Nowitzki has entered the MVP discussion. Elton Brand has dropped off the radar completely; at the end of November he was the league's leading scorer but his average has dropped by almost six points per game during December. Shaquille O'Neal and Ron Artest have also entered the discussion, generating more buzz than Tracy McGrady and Carmelo Anthony who were amongst the frontrunners for MVP last month.

December Players of the Month announced

Image Image

NEW YORK, NY -- The NBA Players of the Month for December have been announced. Jermaine O'Neal of the Indiana Pacers took home Eastern Conference Player of the Month honours while the Memphis Grizzlies' Pau Gasol was named the Player of the Month in the Western Conference. O'Neal posted averages of 25.2 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 2.5 apg, 2 bpg and 1.2 spg as the Pacers went 9-8. Gasol averaged 27.5 ppg during the month of November, becoming the league's leading scorer in the process, while also averaging 10.3 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.8 bpg and 1.1 spg while leading the Grizzlies to a 12-3 record that included a six game winning streak.

December Rookies of the Month announced

Image Image

NEW YORK, NY -- Ayeshi Tam of the Charlotte Bobcats and Keenan Pack of the Utah Jazz have been named as the East and West Rookies of the Month respectively for the month of December. Tam, a 6'1" shooting guard out of St John's who was drafted second overall by the Atlanta Hawks and traded to Charlotte for Raymond Felton, posted averages of 19.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.9 apg and just under a steal per game in December. Pack, who was selected by the Jazz straight out of high school with the ninth overall pick, posted averages of 16.1 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.7 apg and 1.6 spg while starting at shooting guard.

League Leaders

Rebounds

Assists

Steals

Blocks

Field Goals

Free Throws

Three Pointers

Standings

Pacific Division

Northwest Division

Southwest Division

Atlantic Division

Central Division

Southeast Division

Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby KidJustin on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 am

wow Boom Dizzle is really having an MVP year....top 4 in 3 different categories!...to bad he still in GS in ur dynasty :|

and the Clippers are ahead of the Lakers which is nice :mrgreen:

but WOW...ur Bulls are KILLING IT :crazyeyes: ur entire division is put to shame by ur record! good job keep it up! :applaud:
KidJustin

Postby Axel The Great on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:49 am

Top of the league. (Y) I don't think Yao should be averaging over a steal a game, but overall, Live 06's sim engine is better than Live 10's imo.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood