Larry Hughes - the next Kobe Bryant

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Larry Hughes - the next Kobe Bryant

Postby unstoppable on Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:24 pm

Larry Hughes over last 5 games:
16.8 points
10 rebounds

Today vs the Blazers: 17 points, 11 rounds, 6 assists, 3 steals

Plus, LH is the starting PG. This is not his natural position. At SG he would likely average between 20-25ppg.

btw, LH is shooting .469 from the field this season.
unstoppable

Postby Nick on Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:44 pm

Sure, he's playing pretty good lately...but i don't think he will get to Kobe's level...he has a ton of potential...but he just is a bit 'raw'.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:04 pm

Agreed. He's been playing decent basketball this season and out of position, but he's still nowhere near the Kobe Bryants, Allen Iversons and Tracy McGradys. Perhaps when MJ retires at the season's end and he spends more time at SG, he'll lift his game yet another notch, but he's got a long way to go and a lot of work to do before he's at the level of Kobe and co.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby unstoppable on Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:08 pm

Well, that 'raw' you speak of is not in shooting percentages: .469fg, .385treys. And he already has shown outstanding rebounding for a guard, and good passing (although despite being the pg, Stack and MJ get plenty of assists - a triangle-style offense). And athletically, LH is very very fast and an explosive dunker. Good stealer and very impressive defensive player too.
unstoppable

Postby Clinton on Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:18 pm

Yeah, but still a long way from the level of the Kobes, McGradys and Pierces. He is shooting well at the moment, I bring this down to having MJ on the team and him being more conscience of the shots he takes, but normally he is a very erratic and low percentage shooter. He has never been a great distributer as he is always thinking shoot first. He's definately not one of the better defenders in the league.
Clinton

Postby unstoppable on Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:48 pm

Maybe you should watch him play.
unstoppable

Postby :digerati: on Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:13 pm

Perhaps you should as well? Hughes is incompetent as a point guard. If Juan Dixon was not hurt he would be getting most of Hughes' minutes. Hughes is erratic, thinks shoot first and thinks defense is an option (Rip Hamilton is a better team defender than he is, and is close invididually). If he didn't, he'd probably still be in Philly, or Golden State.

The next Kobe? Hardly. You're talking 5 games. Over five games this year Kwame Brown even looked like he was developing into that adequate bench warmer he is, and look at him now!

When Jordan retires, Hughes will probably sent to the bench if Stackhouse sticks around. Russell at SF, Stack at SG, Dixon at PG. Though Hughes will get plenty of minutes in all that garbage time the Wizards will have.
:digerati:

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:54 pm

with GS luck maybe he turns into sumthing better than KB :P
Gaucho

Postby Clinton on Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:26 pm

Never going to happen. :?
Clinton

Postby unstoppable on Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:02 pm

¤ wrote:Perhaps you should as well? Hughes is incompetent as a point guard. If Juan Dixon was not hurt he would be getting most of Hughes' minutes. Hughes is erratic, thinks shoot first and thinks defense is an option (Rip Hamilton is a better team defender than he is, and is close invididually). If he didn't, he'd probably still be in Philly, or Golden State.

The next Kobe? Hardly. You're talking 5 games. Over five games this year Kwame Brown even looked like he was developing into that adequate bench warmer he is, and look at him now!

When Jordan retires, Hughes will probably sent to the bench if Stackhouse sticks around. Russell at SF, Stack at SG, Dixon at PG. Though Hughes will get plenty of minutes in all that garbage time the Wizards will have.

If Hughes is "incompetent" as a PG, how do explain his low turnover rate of 1.95 per game in 30.6mpg? Plus consider that the Wizards try to utilize the playmaking skills of Stackhouse and Jordan, so a john stockton-type PG is not appropriate.

You say Hughes is "erratic" and thinks "shoot-first", "defense is an option" etc. Yet he shoots .469 from the field and .455 from downtown (comfortably better than Bryant in both categories). This indicates excellent shot selection. His defense has been extremely consistent and impressive in terms of both team defense and steals.

Next year the Wizards are planning not to resign Stackhouse so Hughes can shift to the SG spot to fulfill his obvious superstar potential at that position. Then the Wizards will look to sign a talented free agent or two with newly found salary cap space.
unstoppable

Postby air gordon on Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:56 pm

it is good to see hughes putting up some good numbers. i've followed him ever since his days in college and have always wanted to see him succeed.

it appears that he is better suited to play shooting guard, but at least he is making the most of his situation. the next kobe bryant? not sure about that. athletic-wise. perhaps. but i think he has the skills to be a good, if not great, player in the league. maybe he needs to be on a team where they will use him at his natural position.
air gordon

Postby Clinton on Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:16 am

You say Hughes is "erratic" and thinks "shoot-first", "defense is an option" etc. Yet he shoots .469 from the field and .455 from downtown (comfortably better than Bryant in both categories). This indicates excellent shot selection. His defense has been extremely consistent and impressive in terms of both team defense and steals.

You are going on stats from this year only. Ok. he is has a good fg%, but so does Kobe at .454 (Kobe has shot nearly 300 more shots). Hughes has shot only 11 threes all year making 5, so you can expect Kobes percentages to be lower because he shoots so many more threes (61 so far, making 18) . Hughes's careeer fg% is .407 much lower than Kobes of .458. Kobe has a career 3pt% of .313, Hughes is just .208.
Anyone can play good team defense if they have good defensive players around them.
Clinton

Postby :digerati: on Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:04 pm

unstoppable wrote:If Hughes is "incompetent" as a PG, how do explain his low turnover rate of 1.95 per game in 30.6mpg? Plus consider that the Wizards try to utilize the playmaking skills of Stackhouse and Jordan, so a john stockton-type PG is not appropriate.

But, if they had one, that would make them a good team. You know what the turnover rate says? He can dribble and not lose the ball. I can do that. Yet, I wouldn't consider myself a competent NBA PG.
unstoppable wrote:Next year the Wizards are planning not to resign Stackhouse so Hughes can shift to the SG spot to fulfill his obvious superstar potential at that position. Then the Wizards will look to sign a talented free agent or two with newly found salary cap space.

Which would be impossible, since players would prefer either, money or winning. And since Washington can't offer them the most money, nor can they offer winning. It'll be like the Bulls back in the summers of 1999 and 2000.

The Wizards aren't planning to resign Stack? Then they got ripped off even more in that trade.

Going to lose their best player. Hmmm. Nobody's gonna want to play for a lowly $7 million on this team.

Up front you have the amazing talent of Christian Laettner, Jahidi White, Kwame Brown, Etan Thomas, Jared Jeffries and Brendan Haywood. With the monster backcourt of Larry Hughes and Juan Dixon. Hell! They don't even need any free agents! That's a championship club right there. Laettner and White are clearly the veterans who know about winning rings and are super-skilled. Brown is not improving. Doug Collins hates Etan Thomas. Haywood and Jeffries need refinement. Then you have the no-distribution except to the hoop undersized twiggy backcourt! WOW!

I have to admit, Cleveland looks more promising than the Wizards. Don't even get me started about the 2005 Playoff-bound Nuggets.

Postby unstoppable on Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:47 pm

You can dribble the ball in the NBA without losing it? I seriously doubt that.

The Wizards won't want to hang on to Stackhouse when Hughes is a better SG than Stack. Plus this will allow them to chase a star free-agent.

Hughes vs New Jersey:

19pts, 10reb, 2ast, 1stl, 9-14fg

while Stackhouse scored 14pts on 5-18 shooting and spent the entire 4th quarter on the bench.
unstoppable

Postby Clinton on Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:06 pm

The Wizards won't want to hang on to Stackhouse when Hughes is a better SG than Stack. Plus this will allow them to chase a star free-agent.

Larry Hughes will never be a better SG then Stack!! Do you think the wizards are just going to let Stack go afetr giving up Hamilton for him?? :? That is just a stupid thing to say. Stack will get a big payday, Hughes will either be sticking to PG or backing Stack up.
Clinton

Postby unstoppable on Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:28 am

There is no way in the WORLD Stack will get a contract with the Wizards next season. I doubt Stack will even be starting by the end of the season (unless he starts at PG). Stack was 100% fit last night and did not play a minute in the 4th quarter. Hughes is completely outplaying Stack like you wouldn't believe!

Hughes Season Stats:
11.9ppg .480%fg, .385%3pt, .732%ft, 5.4rpg, 2.9apg, 1.29spg, 1.95tpg
Stackhouse Season Stats:
21.5ppg .402%fg, .338%3pt, .873%ft, 4.3rpg, 4.9apg, 0.77spg, 3.09tpg

Last 5 games:
Hughes:
18ppg
.557%fg
10.4rpg
3.6apg

Last 5 games:
Stackhouse:
18.8ppg
.379%fg
2.8rpg
5.2apg
unstoppable

wizards

Postby streakshooter on Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:26 am

washington sucks...........they're nowhere near a playoff bound team right now..........MJ's forcing the issue everytime and it doesn't look good...............

stack has always been known for his low FG.........
streakshooter

Postby GloveGuy on Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:30 am

They don't suck. It's like what the Lakers had earlier in the season and then they beat the Mavs and came together. That's what the Wizards need. No team who's this good on paper could miss the playoffs.
GloveGuy

Postby :digerati: on Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:02 am

But, this team isn't good on paper. And it's even worse on the court.

Postby TheBob on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:21 am

No team who's this good on paper could miss the playoffs.

Didn't the Bucks llok pretty good on paper last year?
TheBob

Postby :digerati: on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:54 am

Yes, they did. They looked better than this Wizards team does.

Postby Clinton on Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:35 am

There is no way in the WORLD Stack will get a contract with the Wizards next season.

I can't believe you actually think the Wizards will let Stack walk!!! They gave up Rip Hamilton for him!! No matter how much you like Larry Hughes, it is not going to happen!

I doubt Stack will even be starting by the end of the season (unless he starts at PG).

Jerry Stackhouse will start every game for the rest of the season and the playoffs at shooting guard, unless he gets an injury.
Clinton

Postby unstoppable on Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:37 pm

Clinton man, u sure are behind the times. I have talked to literally 50 people who follow the NBA closely on the Stackhouse issue and none of them think the Wizards will want Brickhouse next season. Everyone i talk to considers it a lock that Hughes will start at SG next season (if not this season) and that the Wizards will chase high-priced free-agents instead of Stackhouse. I can bet you all the money in the world that Stack will not be a Wizard next season. In fact, most Wizards fans think he will be traded with Brown this season for a superstar.
unstoppable

Postby Clinton on Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:54 pm

I have talked to literally 50 people who follow the NBA closely on the Stackhouse issue and none of them think the Wizards will want Brickhouse next season.

Well I have talked to 100 people about the issue and thet said he will be on Washington next season.:lol: You can say that, but those 50 people aren't the Wizards management. Do you or your panel of NBA experts think that the Wizards would give up Hamilton who everyone knew had talent, for a established star, just so they could free up cap room for a possible free agent signing? :?
Clinton

Postby unstoppable on Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:20 pm

Hughes is a far better shooter than Stackhouse, far better rebounder than Stackhouse, far better stealer than Stackhouse. And if given the shot attempts Stackhouse takes, a far better scorer than Stackhouse.

It is even a decent possibility that Stackhouse be traded this season as the Wizards look to improve their front-court scoring and overall defensive intensity. They know they can put Hughes into the starting SG slot and Dixon into the PG slot (i can't believe this guy's a rookie).

And if there is no Stackhouse trade this season, well i'm willing to bet you anything that Stackhouse won't be a Wizard next season, so what will it be?
unstoppable

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball