The "How is your Sports Dynasty/Legacy going" Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

The "How is your Sports Dynasty/Legacy going" Thread

Postby The X on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Hey everybody, I figured that since most of us love NBA video games, we also are very likely to be into other sports.

So here it is, for everybody out there who doesn't have the time to make a story but still wants to talk/brag about it, here is the place to do it.

Use this thread for FIFA, PES, Madden, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball, College Hoops 2k series or whatever other sport floats your boat. If a mod can please sticky this thread, then that would be greatly appreciated.

-------

Anyways, I'll start things off with my newest College Hoops 2k8 Career Legacy. 26 year old coach Watson has landed his first Division 1 gig in Greeley, Colorado with the University of Northern Colorado Bears. It is the 2007/08 season and the school has only recently been admitted into Division 1 athletics and the Big Sky Conference (Rodney Stuckey played at Eastern Washington the prior year). I've got a lot of work ahead of me to build this program from the ground up and hopefully advance my own career prospects.

The university's mascot, "Klawz"

Anyways, I've started the season 1-1. I opened the season with in a non-conference tournament and lost in the semi to VMI by about 15 points. I held scoring gun Reggie Williams (now with the Golden State Warriors IRL) to 10 points on 4/15 shooting, but one of his other teammates tore my defence to pieces. I picked up a simulated hoopcast win in the third place game against Air Force, who were hosting the tournament. I came from behind in the second half as I increased the tempo of the game and the Falcons folded.

As far as team personnel goes, I've got a couple of good seniors (5th year centre Kirk Archebique and sharpshooting guard Sean Taibi). I've got about 4 solid point guards on the roster but none stand out. Outside of Archebique, by team lacks a bit of height, with my PF's all around 6'6". That should come as no surprise though, since I'm at a small school, but I will definitely be looking to recruit some more bigs.

My team's primary defence is a 1-3-1 zone. Secondary defence is 3-2 zone. Pressure defence is a 1-3-1 matchup. Press defence is half court trap & I also do a little bit of 2-2-1 full court. I run a motion offence, although given my team's personnel I might change it until I can recruit for my system.

-------

Any comments as always are appreciated. Please share your own stories too. Once I get back into FIFA 10, I'll share my Southampton manager mode story too :P
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Re: The "How is your Sports Dynasty/Legacy going" Thread

Postby The X on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Just had a very disappointing non-conference loss. I was playing the Iowa Hawkeyes on their home court. Obviously playing a Big Ten team, despite their mediocre team, was going to be a big challenge. Surprisingly enough I somehow led the game 33-17 at the half as my team's 1-3-1 defense shut them down. I held about a 10 point lead for most of 2nd half & still led by 9 points with a few minutes to go, but then I plain & simple choked. The Hawkeyes caused my UNC Bears to make a handful of turnovers & tightened the screws on defense & their crowd rallied behind them. I ended up losing 52-53 in quite a low scoring affair. The team played well for the first 30 minutes, but we needed to play the whole 40 minutes to get the win.

We redeemed ourselves against in-State rival Denver, as we beat them by double digits to lift our non-conference record to 2-2. Sadly it should've been 3-1. I guess non-conference losses like the one against Iowa won't determine whether I make the Tourney or not, that comes down to winning the Big Sky Conference Tournament. Between now & then, the team has a lot to do to improve. Defensively we are sound, but offensively we suck (N)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:44 pm

You need to recruit an unknown talent but gem named William Sit. Good luck with that.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby The X on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 pm

I haven't created any recruits at this stage, just wanted to get into the season. May do in the future.

As far as recruiting goes, I'm going to try and tap into the New Zealand pipeline to hopefully build a NZ-esque (poor man's) version of Saint Mary's :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:39 pm

In my freetime, it's Assassin's Creed II and PES 2010 until I can get all 2k10 patches working again. :roll:

So here it is, PES2010 Master League, AS Roma 2010/11!
(new signings)

Almunia; Burdisso, Juan, Mexés, Evra; Robben, De Rossi, Julio Baptista, Malouda; Totti, Van Persie.

Finished 4th on the league last term so that's a new Europa League spot this year. Hopefully we can win it all!
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby The X on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:34 am

Playing FIFA 10 a bit lately. In my second season of Manager Mode with Southampton. Only player I really added via transfer who was any good in first season was 20 year old FC Sampdoria midfielder Andrea Poli (Italy). The first season saw me come a disappointing 6th in Coca Cola League One in England (3rd tier out of 4, below EPL & Coca Cola Championship) but my team fired up in the 3 to 6 playoffs for the 3rd & final promotion spot. I managed to get it done & win out & get that elusive 3rd promotion spot & was happy to move up to the Coca Cola Championship League (division below EPL).

Moving into my second season, I knew it would be a bit tougher, so I hit the transfer market & picked up Hull City midfielder Stephen Hunt (Ireland). My team needed more speed across the park.

Anyways, this season has been up & down. I started out terribly over first half of season, as the team hung around 22nd-23rd (out of 24 teams) & firmly in relegation zone. There's no way I wanted to go back down. Fortunately I reeled off a few wins to take the edge off. Since then the team has been more consistent in getting results & am now sitting about 17th out of 24 teams with about less than 10 games to go. There is no way I'm getting promoted to EPL, so I will look this offseason to strengthen my defence & hopefully add a young stud upfront. Given my budgetary restraints, I'll probably only be able to do one of those two.

Anyways, aside from Hunt, my best players are striker Rickie Lambert (England) who has been my best goal scorer & is likely to continue to be such, right wing Papa Waigo N'Diaye (Senegal). I got my own created player X as CDM & he's solid. Got a few young solid defenders & a solid keeper.

My team currently runs a 4-4-1-1 formation, which was the default for Southampton, but am thinking I should vary it. Any suggestions?
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Mark. on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Hey X is that FIFA on the PC or Console? And why not try a Ricky Herbert inspired 3-4-3, maybe better replicated in the game as a 5-2-3 but since you are playing just make sure the FBs make forward runs, or if you go with a 3-4-3 then the wing halves have their defensive runs assigned to get right back.
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Cartar on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:49 pm

I've been always fond of 4-2-3-1 (4-5-1) formation, it can easily be altered to 4-3-3 with wings moving up and the CM falling back with the rest of the 2.
Cartar

Postby The X on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:31 am

Hey Mark, yep it's FIFA 10 on PS3. I might mix it up a bit in last few games of my second season. My team seems to get caught by quicker attackers, so maybe a formation similar to the Kiwis might help. But yes, I do like it when my backs (including X, a CDM) make runs forward.

Might try a bit of a diamond 3-2 back line, with maybe a 3-2 or 2-3 attacking, which is similar to the 3-4-3.

Either way I'll have a bit of a play in final half a dozen regular season games & next season's preseason games & get some things happening. Watching the World Cup is giving me a few ideas :cool:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:12 am

I picked up a few handy players, can't remember all their names, but they are striker Chris Wood from West Bromich Albion, CAM Dario Vidosic from Nuremberg (sp?), same Mexican CDM, a 6'3" German CB & an African CB. I think I'm running a 4-1-3-2 at the moment, & I'm sitting undefeated after 3 games in Coca Cola Championship :cool:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:31 pm

PES 2010 master league with Newcastle United at Coca-Cola Championship. Signed Andriy Voronin and I'm using my new personal fav, 4-2-3-1 formation in highest difficulty. After 2 league games, first with two wins, four goals scored, 0 allowed, and a 2-1 win in FA Cup after being behind on the score. :D
× Watching:
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby The X on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:08 am

Turns out I'm actually running a 4-1-2-1-2.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Got knocked out in 3rd Round of FA Cup by Sheffield United in last minute of injury time in the 2nd extra time period (N)

On a more positive note, I'm sitting around 5th in Coca Cola Championship, with 6 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses through 10 games (Y)

All Whites' young striker Chris Wood has been a revelation of the bench, picking up a double off the bench recently (Y) Haven't been happy with Dario Vidosic to date, he's my CAM from the bench. Expected more from him, but will give him the season to prove himself before I try to sell him.

I guess my aim this season is to squeak into the EPL :cool:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby rise on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:20 am

I just got out my old Madden 06 for Game Cube, played it and I still enjoy it. Still getting the hang of it but injuries seem to be way too common. I'm in the seventh week and so far 8 players, including Donovan McNabb, who I believe is on the cover for the game, just received a career-ending ACL injuries. I turned injuries down below the halfway mark but it's still kind of crazy - 5-8 injuries per game on my team. (Panthers) but i'm doing a fantasy draft.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Murat on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 am

Playing NHL 2004 which I buy from internet that it's something like Ebay. I've started a dynasty with Pittsburgh Penguins. I played all of the first 3 matches, in Beginner level. I won all of these. I signed 2 free agents, one was Oleg Tverdovsky and one was created my me. Even I don't understand why my player started to get worse. Team overall is 75, which a lot of teams overall ratings are way better than mine. Hope I resume that.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Murat on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:02 am

Badger wrote:Playing NHL 2004 which I buy from internet that it's something like Ebay. I've started a dynasty with Pittsburgh Penguins. I played all of the first 3 matches, in Beginner level. I won all of these. I signed 2 free agents, one was Oleg Tverdovsky and one was created my me. Even I don't understand why my player started to get worse. Team overall is 75, which a lot of teams overall ratings are way better than mine. Hope I resume that.

Haha. I resumed it to 2007-08 season. There is a big cap space missing and also this game has a bug, if you make an offer to someone, he accepts even you have a big salary cap problem.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Houndy on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:54 am

Just started a career legacy with Texas Southern. Beat UT Arlington 68-59. Ellis guy had 20 points. He is a beast. Next game vs Arkansas
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Houndy on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Beat the shit out of Arkansas, 82-59, then lost to Temple 34-56. Playing Miami (FL) in 3rd place game. 2-1 so far.
Houndy

Postby rise on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:06 am

It is officially time for me to up my level in Madden 06. I'm doing a fantasy draft and I just scored 11 touchdowns against the Bills (IN ALL-PRO LEVEL :crazyeyes: ) Final score: 77-10. [kicking and recovering onside kicks is quite simple]
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:51 am

PES2011 Master League with my beloved Arsenal. First place after 10 games - 8W, 2D, 0L, 26 pts.

Almunia; Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Clichy; Song, Diaby, Fabregas; Nasri, Arshavin, van Persie

Fabianski, Eboue, Squillaci, Djourou, Gibbs, Lassana Diarra (bought), Denilson, Rosicky, Vela, Chamakh, Bendtner, Walcott, Wilshere, Mannone, Szczesny, Eastmond, Frimpong, Ramsey, Emmanuel-Thomas.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Murat on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Make the coffee of shadowgrin.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:54 pm

I ended up winning the treble with Arsenal in the previous Master League so I started a new one with Newcastle United. After that 4-goal resurgence against us, I figured I could give them a try, but of course shipping Nolan and Barton away (they are two of the dirtiest players I've seen in a long time).

Harper; Daniel Alves, Coloccini, Sol Campbell, José Enrique; Lassana Diarra, Tioté; Ben Arfa, Arda Turan, Jonás Gutierrez; Ibrahimovic :cool:

Williamson, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Danny Simpson, Perch, Gosling, Ryan Taylor, Alan Smith, Leon Best, Ireland, Ameobi, LuaLua, Krul, Steven Taylor, Vuckic, Ranger, Ferguson, Routledge
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Murat on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:59 am

Arda? ARDA? No please release him. He is spending his time with his girl-friend and cars. He is not playing football well and in real-life he is injured. His team, Galatasaray is 11th at 18-team Süper Lig.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:57 am

He's actually having a nice season with a couple of goals and I think 5 assists in 8 games. (Y)
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Houndy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 am

My Florida Gulf Coast team is amazing. Here's our scores

FGCU 72, Bethune-Cookman 71 (Varidel game winner)
FGCU 79, Drexel 59
FGCU 60, Iowa 61
FGCU 33 ( :evil: ), Bradley 71
FGCU 64, Austin Peay 63 (Varidel Game winner)

3-2, going to face off against 3-0 Valapriaso :lol:
Houndy

Next

Return to Off-Topic