NBA 2k10 PC Impressions

Talk about NBA 2K10 here.

Re: NBA 2k10 PC Impressions

Postby Sportsgamer on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:31 am

ux24 is seattle :mrgreen:
Sportsgamer

Postby Drausus on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:50 am

Just got he PC version he other day. Im having loads of fun with it so far. Im using the My Player mode and running Fraps to record my highlights. I had the PS3 version last year... but I really wanted to record some video and work on some video editing so I got the PC version this year. I have to say so far, it is above par. I can't remember the last time I played a good NBA game on the PC.... NBA Live '96? This game is a 8/10 in my book. Only problem is I do get some glitches with the MY player modes. They are minor however, and easily looked over because the game runs very smooth throughout. I use the xbox 360 controller and it was automatically detected by the game and the settings we equal to the console version.

I used the bench mark tool and it is consistent at around 65 FPS, 1440x900, max settings. My comp is Intel Q6600, Nvidia 9800gtx+, 4gb Ram.
Drausus

Postby Drausus on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:01 am

For some of the above posters : Have your tried setting your video card settings to performance? If you have an Nvidia or ATI, click on the properties for the card. They should have custom made presets for Performance or Quality. If your having trouble running the game and your getting some slow down during the game, try setting your VC to performance. It will automatically turn off some things that you don't really need. The game won't look HD... but 2k has done a decent job and you should still be able to get decent looks without sacrificing game play performance.
Drausus

Postby john26 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:11 am

Good features of 2k10:
*NBA Today (commentary)
*2k reelmaker
*Load Draft Class
*My Player

Bad features of 2k10:
*Court looks worse than 2k9
*Most pg's do rafer alston moves, even jose calderon
john26

Postby Coyroy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Suprised that 2k10 fells less sim more arcade coz
cpu plays faster,
players body&face scale is thinner than 2k9 have some cartoonish expressions
doesnt support true 16:10 resolutions?
Better fps on both menu and ingame with full opt. but looks like less shaders used no detailed jersey textures, new bench players models plain ugly,old courts.
Briefly needs lots of patching work,my fully patched 2k9 copy looks better than this.
Coyroy

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:09 pm

Since I picked up the PC version, I might as well offer some impressions.

Out of all the 2K games I've given a go, it's probably the one I've liked the most. I'm still not a fan of Isomotion and probably never will be; I just like the Freestyle/Quick Strike concept using the right stick. I have warmed up to the idea of the shot stick though and NBA Live 10 seems to be adopting a similar approach with its layup control. I do like the idea of having on-demand shot types, I reckon that's something both games need to have.

The common cry is that NBA Live's movements are stiff and robotic while 2K's are fluid and much more responsiveness. I don't know about that, I actually feel that movement in both games suffers a little from the automatic crossovers and whatnot. I see what both companies are going for and I think it's a good idea to make things look natural and to keep players from sliding and waterbugging all over the place, but I don't think either have got it quite right yet. Hopefully both keep improving in that regard. On the whole, I do like what I see from the gameplay though inexperience with the controls does make things difficult.

I'm very impressed with Association Mode; Dynasty Mode has a long way to catch up with the way it's been left behind in the last couple of NBA Lives. Pretty much all of the stuff that should be in Dynasty Mode seems to be in Association, I've got to hand it to 2K there. Good stuff. Simulated stats aren't perfect but better than NBA Live 10 and still pretty good. I'd say that's another area where neither company has it down 100% just yet.

I haven't really taken a look at My Player yet, to be honest the single player career modes aren't of great interest to me but I'm sure I'll give it a look sometime and it does sound impressive. Shame about the current situation with online play, though again I'm not too affected by it being an offline player but it is something that should be fixed up ASAP.

Very few complaints about presentation in general, though I dislike the menus. Perhaps I'm just used to Live's menus but I prefer being able to exit back to a main menu and navigate in a slightly more linear fashion. I appreciate that they're trying to let the user jump around and not have to go back and forth but honestly I find it just as difficult and tedious to navigate NBA 2K10's style of menus. Good idea, not particularly well executed in my book.

I guess that's about it, just wanted to post a few thoughts having picked up the game and given it a look. I'm still not completely enamoured with 2K's controls and I'm a difficult sell being that I'm still interested in NBA Live and looking forward to what NBA Live 11 has to offer, but even though I'm a Live fan I certainly can't be a hater when it comes to NBA 2K10. Ideally we should have two strong brands anyway and it's good to know that there's an alternative I feel I could enjoy more than I used to, when previous games in the series have left me far less impressed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby _Steve_ on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:20 am

Andrew wrote:Very few complaints about presentation in general, though I dislike the menus. Perhaps I'm just used to Live's menus but I prefer being able to exit back to a main menu and navigate in a slightly more linear fashion. I appreciate that they're trying to let the user jump around and not have to go back and forth but honestly I find it just as difficult and tedious to navigate NBA 2K10's style of menus. Good idea, not particularly well executed in my book.

After months of playing I'm still searching things that are spread all over the menues. :wink:
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:27 am

Glad to know it's not just me then. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackie Kong on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:55 am

SteveHTOWN wrote:
Andrew wrote:Very few complaints about presentation in general, though I dislike the menus. Perhaps I'm just used to Live's menus but I prefer being able to exit back to a main menu and navigate in a slightly more linear fashion. I appreciate that they're trying to let the user jump around and not have to go back and forth but honestly I find it just as difficult and tedious to navigate NBA 2K10's style of menus. Good idea, not particularly well executed in my book.

After months of playing I'm still searching things that are spread all over the menues. :wink:

Yeah. I think 2k9 menus were better. And what about the results presentation? is it so hard to show the full box score for a team at once?, lol. And when you sim with hotspots, they only show the stats for pg, sg, sf and pf but not for ce.
Jackie Kong

Postby Lamrock on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Why hasn't anyone brought up the computer's complete and utter lack of defensive awareness (even when it's set to 99!) completely ruining the gameplay?
Lamrock

Postby JaoSming on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 pm

I havent had an issue with it

if anything I've noticed more help defense and tighter man to man
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lamrock on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:23 am

Really? You can take it in to the hoop and score 90% of the time. That did not happen with 2K7, when guys stayed in front of you. Here are a couple examples of what I mean:

phpBB [video]
phpBB [video]
Lamrock

Postby JaoSming on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 am

raise the difficulty?

see that stuff pisses me off more because I never get easy baskets like those. the only alleyoops I've connected on post-patch was a fast break 2 on 0 and an inbounds one to dwight who had a guard on him.

But seriously, I cant just drive in, no idea what might be different between us. I use default sliders and All Pro difficulty (or whatever it is, one below the highest)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lamrock on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:52 am

Really? 2K's video creator stopped working on me, but its remarkably easy. I just run around the defense and take it in for an and-one (which there are also too much of)

I play on All-Star, but even on Superstar with CPU defensive awareness maxed, it is still very easy to score. Not so much on jumpshots, but in the paint. Usually when I play both teams shoot in the 55%-60% range, which also bothers me.
Lamrock

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:14 am

If you want to make it harder to go to the hoop, raise the on-ball defense and the help defense strength sliders. If that doesn't work, raise the quickness slider, also.

The shooting percentage was a problem for me until I changed some of the shooting sliders, along with the defensive sliders. Since Inside Shots are considered to be 0-6 feet this should be under 40, that way when the defense actually contests a shot, it looks like it made a difference, and you get no gimmes. Close shots are 6-15 feet, putting this at 40 is a good way to go, so those floaters and fallaway post shots aren't automatic. You might want to go higher if the better post players in the league don't seem to have a presence. Midrange is 15 feet to the 3 point line and this one is trouble. At the default of 50, the cpu will knock down these shots when they are open all the time, and superstar swingmen like Kobe and Melo will play one on one and destroy you from here. 48 or 49 is what I set mine at. I know it's just a small difference but it works. Layups at 45 gets the occasional woops and lowers 3 point play's a little bit.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:12 am

!!! That's why my sliders are failing! For some reason, SimSportsSliders has quickness at 0. I'll give it a try with the slightly lower shooting sliders as well. Thanks PDub. (Y)
Lamrock

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 am

Why does he have quickness at 0? I suggest lowering help defense back to 50 when you put quickness back up, although you might consider increasing it a bit after that, but I am not sure with your def awareness set to 100.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 am

No idea. Quickness at 0 makes no sense. Game feels a lot more realistic now. I have no idea how to score so its like a brand new game. Will likely get blown out every game for a while though.
Lamrock

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:27 am

Lamrock wrote:I have no idea how to score so its like a brand new game.

Especially after the patch! All those inside baskets I used to get are contested and look like bricks. No more easy pick and roll's and alleyoop fests. Time for some good old fashion isolation with your best players.

If you feel the cpu defense closes out to quickly on your players when they are open, you may want to either lower help defense and/or defensive awareness, or increase game speed a little bit and lower player speed. Game speed changes every animation's speed including the ball during passes and shots, while player speed only affects the player's movement speed. By having player movement lower than the game speed you allow the ball to be moved properly(imho) to the open player. The side effect is that player's are less likely to tip or intercept certain passes since they are moving faster.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:12 pm

Had an awesome end to the NBA Today Suns/Bulls game last night.

Was down 8 with maybe 2 minutes left and hit 4 straight open 3 pointers with Nash/J Rich/Barbosa/Hill and held on for the 2 point win. (D. Rose stole an inbounds and shit all over Nash, didn't save or upload due to the missing head syndrome) Did a successful keep away to run out the clock and then threw a buzzer beater up with 2 seconds left to end the game. Really fun and the NBA Today commentary was amazing talking about the Suns needing a win to secure a playoff birth.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby SkyLine03LT on Fri May 07, 2010 5:09 am

Lamrock wrote:Really? You can take it in to the hoop and score 90% of the time. That did not happen with 2K7, when guys stayed in front of you. Here are a couple examples of what I mean:

phpBB [video]
phpBB [video]

This is because on 2k if you change direction without a crossover u dont lose speed, which is really not realistic. To avoid this issue I just cross the over on a fast break so it looks realistic.
SkyLine03LT
Walrus

Postby john26 on Fri May 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi does the blog on 2ksports.com of box score work for other people? It doesn't work for me, says that I should try again later but it never works.
john26

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Damn had a great game. Used the Warriors against the Knicks.

Down by 20 at the start of the 4th. Even Eddy Curry got to play because its basically garbage time. Most of the shots haven't been falling since the 2nd quarter and Gallinari had been killing us. Then I realized that freakin' Monta Ellis has limited range and I had been jacking shots when using him thinking he was a shooter. Made my lineup of Ellis, Curry, Maggette, Biedrins, and Turiaf. Set the defense to play tight against all of the Knicks and double team to off against their frontcourt.
Monta was insane in the 4th. Got the lead down to 4 pts. by the 2 minute mark. Biedrins was playing great D against Gallinari and Turiaf was great at the boards but it still wasn't enough as the Knicks were already crowding Monta in the paint whenever he gets past the three point line. Ellis needs help.
Down by 2 and Maggette hit the long open two at the top of key as it was passed to him by a crowded Ellis, tied game with only less than a minute left. Defensive lapse by Curry and Toney Douglas hit a quick layup. Curry redeemed himself by hitting the three with an assists by Ellis, we take the lead by 1. Final possession and the Knicks have it, the game clock only has a 5 second difference from the shot clock. Time is running out for the Knicks as Gallinari shot the jumper, blocked by Biedrins! Turiaf gets the ball and passed it quickly to Curry and they foul him. Curry sinks the two FTs. Knicks call their final timeout, play resumes and their desperation three to tie is blocked by Monta (I was using Turiaf)!

Warriors win it 94-91. Ellis finished with 49 pts. 4 asts. 2 blks. 2 rebs. and 1 stl. None of the other Warriors were in double figures but Curry, Maggette, Turiaf, and Biedrins were a FG away from double figures.
While the Knicks had their starting 5 score in double figures.
Good game.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Played NBA Today and while Kobe was shooting FTs the Celtics fans were noisy as expected but I could also hear a tiny bit of "MVP! MVP!" chants from all that loud noise, they even got booed. :lol:
Nice touch.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:31 am

NBA Today again. Won the Finals with the Celtics and apparently David Stern borrowed Craig Sager's outfit.
Maroon coat with a neon green shirt. :|
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K10