GSW·2012-13| WEEK 6: Dec 2- 8, 2012 + Player Profiles

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: GSW - Nellie Upbeat Despite Loss

Postby Clutch on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Az, Martti, Andrew - thx guys; i'm pretty stoked about the potential of the team... but that's pretty much the story of any longtime W's fan haha

Valor - thx mate... HoF material? well if it makes, great, but i'm glad to already be in there; i'm just gonna take this one easy, have fun and try spending more time commenting on others; i'll be like the ol' liquored-up guy at the court who once had mad game but now just sits at the sideline talkin' smack about how he "use to do it" :P
Clutch
^ Life... currently :\

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:09 am

K-Mart killed you, man. How's Tolliver doing? Last night IRL against the Blazers he played really good. I can now say I'm watching NBA games every night, something I've never done before :D
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
X-Men: The Animated Series ×
× Watched:
Blazing Saddles (1974), Signs (2002), The Other (1972) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Lamrock on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:25 am

I feel like you kind of fleeced the other teams in your offseason moves, dealing an aging Maggette (and his huge contract), and the most overrated player in the league in Ellis for the Kings' and Rockets' best players. Furthermore, playing Landry at the 3 makes little sense and stands against everything Nellie stands for.

Great recap though. I'll definitely follow this.
Lamrock

Postby Clutch on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:29 am

@Thierry - Watch hoops every night = lucky man; i'm jealous :(; Tolliver may be kickin' ass IRL but in my dynasty with an overall of 62, slow as molasses and a Def Awareness of sub 50, he's a bonifide BUST sorry to say

@Lamrock - yah, I had to consider it seriously (and you know from my Rockets I do think these things out pretty thoroughly); finally rationalized that a straight trade would likely be fleecing; but in context of the 4-way trade (ie., Rockets being able to ditch T-Mac to NY and pick up Hill, Armstong, Jeffreys + future draft picks in addition to Monta; Kings picking up a legit SF in Maggette (good for 20 pt/5 reb nightly) to compliment Tyreke + plus Dorsey & Hughes) I didn't feel it was that bad; I prefer to say a, "smooth hustle" as opposed to fleecing ;)

Anyway, always appreciative of feedback gents (Y)
Clutch

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:44 am

Clutch wrote:@Thierry - Watch hoops every night = lucky man; i'm jealous :(;

I try to watch at least one full game every night, but with school coming I'm now watching three or four quarters from different games.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Clutch on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 am

Thierry. wrote:
Clutch wrote:@Thierry - Watch hoops every night = lucky man; i'm jealous :(;

I try to watch at least one full game every night, but with school coming I'm now watching three or four quarters from different games.

:eh: AND you have time to do all that extensive dynasty research on top of everything else? craaazy man

i must be doing something wrong; i'm horrible with time-management lol
Clutch

Season's End & Nellie on Retiring

Postby Clutch on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:18 am

A Forgettable Finish

Azubuike's return to the lineup vs Denver was short-lived as team doctors soon confirmed a torn patella tendon, an injury more serious than first diagnosed, which required surgery followed by months of rehab. Kelenna's season was finished, dealing yet another blow to the Warriors' severely-depleted lineup.

Head coach Don Nelson did everything he could to turn things around for the franchise, trying every possible combination of starting lineup, conventional and some less so. And while the additions of Kevin Martin and Carl Landry just before February's trade deadline gave the Warriors a much needed boost of firepower and toughness, the pair were only enough to slow the bleeding, not get the team on a winning track.

Golden State lost it's final game of 09-10 at Oracle Arena vs the Utah Jazz in front of a disappointed, yet appreciative home crowd who stood and applauded as the Warriors' starters were pulled in the closing minutes of the double-digit loss. The wounded Warriors limped away finishing with a 28-54 record, third worst in the league just in front of the Los Angeles Clippers.

After the loss to Utah, Nelson was asked if he would retire or if he planned to return as Warriors head coach next season and replied, "I hope so. I mean... I plan on being back anyways. It's been a long, hard season and we've had to deal with a lot of unexpected situations, unplanned for injuries… but sometimes that's just how it goes. If our guys can get healthy and we're able to make a few moves in the off-season, I think we'll have a solid team and a good chance at a playoff run. Now if you'll excuse me, there's a beach chair on Hawaii with my name on it. Enjoy the playoffs guys and I'll see you next season."

Raptor Implosion & Spurs Rejuvenated

Surprisingly, the Toronto Raptors came in dead last in the league with a 27-55 record, apparently hugely distracted and derailed by a barrage of summer free agency talk and speculations concerning their marquee player, Chris Bosh along with names like Dwyane Wade and of course, Lebron James.

San Antonio, however, returned to championship form after acquiring forward Richard Jefferson from Milwaukee, finishing the 09-10 regular season as the only team to reach and surpass the 60 win mark.

Last edited by Clutch on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clutch

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:00 am

Clutch wrote: :eh: AND you have time to do all that extensive dynasty research on top of everything else? craaazy man

i must be doing something wrong; i'm horrible with time-management lol

Lol, I start school tomorrow :cry: my Pacers will go slower and I might not see any real life game at all some days...

Great to see Spurs with the best record
:D
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: GSW - Season's End & Nellie on Retiring

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:21 am

A little better than the real Spurs this season. They finished the season with a lot of momentum, 11 straight wins to close it out. I'm guessing they'll go all the way.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Clutch on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:53 am

2009-10 Player Awards

2009-10 Team Awards

______

Curry "Snubbed" in RoY Considerations

Oakland, CA -- Bay Area fans were already disappointed as the 2009-2010 regular season ended and the Warriors finished a dismal 28-54 on the season. Third worst in the league, the Warriors are yet again Lotto-bound and on the outside of the Post-Season looking in. As typical as the season ended, their young rookie point guard Stephen Curry had given fans glimpses of hope for a possibly brighter future; but still the reality of missing yet another post-season keeps many fans jaded.

As the 09-10 Player and Team awards were announced today, Bay Area fans had just one more thing to be bitter about.

It wasn't bad enough that Minnesota's talented rookie point, Johnny Flynn, had pulled the upset to capture Rookie-of-the-Year honors over Sacramento's budding star, Tyreke Evans, and Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings; but Curry posted comparable numbers across the board in all categories even averaging 2 more points a game than Flynn. Still, mysteriously his name was never really considered in the RoY race.

"Snubbed.... again," said one upset Warriors' fan as he nursed a pale ale at San Francisco's Gorden Biersch brewery.

Adding insult to injury, Curry did not make the All-Rookie 1st team; but was relegated to the the second squad, a tier behind Flynn, Evans and Jennings.

Even though many fans were disappointed, Curry put a positive spin on the situation when asked, "Flynn deserves it; he's going to be terrific ball player for years to come. I'm just honored to be recognized to the 2nd-team; it's a starting place for me and this franchise at least. I've always felt that being denied something just gives you the fuel to try harder."

Hopefully Curry will continue to try harder during the off-season and really give Warrior fans next season something to get excited about.
Clutch

Re:

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:09 am

Clutch wrote:I've always felt that being denied something just gives you the fuel to try harder.

Very, very true. (Y)

Weird to see Elton Brand on the All-NBA 1st team, but for him, to average 20 and 10 for a full season, unbelieveable
:lol:
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: GSW - '09-10 Awards & Curry 'Snubbed' Article

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 am

Snubbed indeed, good write-up though. :)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Azzdogs on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:42 am

To bad for Curry but hopefully he can come back better and stronger in his second year. :D

Thanks to TheDee for the signature
Azzdogs

Postby dare on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:04 am

I can see Curry averaging 20+ PPG next season, weird to see Kobe not on any of the NBA teams
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Clutch on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm

@Thierry, Andrew, Azzdogs - thx guys; I'm hoping Curry can reap more awards in the future as it kinda sucks about RotY; btw Thierry, I think Brand is on the juice 'cause he's playing like a beast lol

@dare - Curry 20+ ppg? hopefully; and damn! i didn't notice the Kobe-less awards... good catch (Y)
Clutch

09-10 CotY & Playoffs Recap

Postby Clutch on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Coach of the Year

With a blistering league best record of 63-19 and riding an 11-game win streak to close out the regular season, the revamped Spurs were firing on all cylinders entering the 09-10 NBA Playoffs. Unanimously, Coach of the Year honors fell to San Antonio's Gregg Popovich.

Playoffs: Out East

Out East, Dwyane Wade and Lebron James clashed in the conference semi-finals, with Wade's Heat coming up victorious and denying the King possibly his last shot at the ring with the Cavaliers (if all the free agency circus hype was to be believed.)

However, Wade's celebration was in turn cut short in the Eastern Conference Finals, as the Heat ran into a peaking Boston Celtics team led by the trio of Garnett, Allen and Pierce. The Celtics completed sweeps of New Jersey, Philadelphia and Miami and marched into the Finals undefeated.

Playoffs: Out West

Duncan and company seemed poised to dethrone the defending champion Lakers and capture the title; however easier said than done. The Spurs convincingly dispatched the Grizzlies in 5 games while Dirk and the Mavericks pushed them to 6 before eventually buckling as usual.

But the Champions cease to be "the Champions" only when someone rightfully takes it from them, which San Antonio found out the hard way by losing 4-2 to LA in the Western Conference Finals. Duncan looked visibly stunned as Kobe and the Lakers celebrated their return to the big dance to square off against the Celtics, a rematch of the 2008 NBA Finals.

"How sweet it is," said Bryant after advancing past the Spurs. "But we aint done yet... Now? It's payback time," he said referring to the '08 defeat to the Celtics.

Clutch

Re: GSW - 09-10 CotY & Playoffs Recap

Postby Azzdogs on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Lakers Celtics the rivalry continues.

Thanks to TheDee for the signature
Azzdogs

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm afraid I have to cheer for the Celtics here. ;) The Celtics usually make the Finals in my simulations when testing the NBA Live PC rosters for any crashes, quite often they end up facing the Spurs. Clearly not to be this time around.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Clutch on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:24 pm

@azzdogs - indeed man; i think it was fixed by the refs lol;

@andrew - yeah i simmed through to get to the off-season and was really surprised to see the Spurs fall to LA; any other team i'm sure Spurs would've rolled over. interesting Finals too; stay tuned...
Clutch

Postby dare on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Boston did not lose any games in their way to the Finals, hopefully they loss 4 games against L.A :cheeky:
dare
True kings have rings

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:29 am

As Andrew, I'm rooting for the Celts as well. If they get a sweep again, has that ever been achieved IRL?
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Clutch on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:55 am

@dare - hahah Laker fan i take it ;)

@theirry - IRL? hmmm, good question. i doubt it but not sure; suppose it would be easy enough to Google and find out but i'm too lazy atm :lol:
Clutch

Postby Clutch on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:45 am

A 'Lord of the Ring' is Crowned

The Boston Celtics came into the 09-10 NBA Finals on fire, steam-rolling their way past the New Jersey Nets, the Philadelphia 76ers and finally Dwyane Wade's Miami Heat.

The Los Angeles Lakers took an equally impressive road, eliminating the Houston Rockets, Denver Nuggets and the San Antonio Spurs who, up until their confrontation with the Lakers, seemed destined to win it all.

Entering the Finals, odds makers had the Celtics as the slight favorites and a clutch game-winning jumper by Ray Allen over Kobe Bryant in Game 1 clinched the series opener for Boston 102-100 to keep their win streak alive. The Celtics became heavily favored after they captured Game 2 in convincing, 106-89 near blow-out fashion in front of their ecstatic crowd which continually roared, 'BEAT LA!" throughout the night.

But momentum would shift in Game 3 as Ray Allen, part of the Celtics' holy triumvirate, came down awkwardly on Ron Artest's foot after an offensive rebound. Immediately ushered to the locker room, X-rays would reveal a broken toe and Allen would be forced to watch his Celtics win streak snapped like his big toe as the Lakers clawed their way back into the series 111-95.

In Game 4, more tragedy would continue to strike for Boston and this time their captain Paul Pierce would be the victim. On a questionable play, Lakers' Lamar Odom would step on Pierce's shoe after being clearly burnt off the dribble, causing Pierce to torque his foot violently, suddenly collapse and loose control the ball. The Lakers would quickly score at the other end off the turn-over while Pierce remained down clutching his foot in pain and Boston would be forced to burn a time out. Pierce would be assisted back to the locker room while Laker fans booed and hissed his departure and X-rays would confirm the worst -- a broken bone in his foot. Pierce, like Allen, would also miss the remainder of the Finals and the Lakers tied the series 2-2.

The Celtics immediately accused the Lakers of using intentionally dirty tactics to swing the series back in their favor and demanded that Odom be immediately suspended; however thoroughly reviewed footage of the incident involving Odom and Pierce which Odom claimed to be purely "accidental" came up inconclusive and no actions were taken against the Lakers' forward.

"It's unfortunate the league doesn't see what we see out on the court," said a stoic Kevin Garnett, on whose shoulders the Celtics' quest for the title now rest. "But now… it's personal. I know how you guys think and what you guys are thinking. You guys think we're done; that this series is over… but it's not. We'll be ready for Game 5."

Almost prophetically, Garnett erupted in Game 5 which took place in front of a raucous Staple Center crowd. Unstoppable the entire night, Garnett powered the Celtics to a 90-85 win but more importantly, regained control of the series. To cap his stellar performance, Garnett swatted an Odom baseline shot attempt into the 3rd row in the closing minutes and thumped his chest at the stunned crowd in defiance. He finished with a monstrous 36 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists and 5 blocks on the night and simultaneously took the wind from the Lakers' sails and breathed hope back into the lungs of Celtics fans.

Inspired by their fearless leader, the Celtics reserves regained their confidence back at home in Game 6, and brought the 09-10 NBA Finals to a close with a 106-94 win. Garnett relied on his teammates to deliver the coup de grace finishing the match just missing a triple-double with 20 points, 12 boards, 9 assists and 3 blocks.

Garnett had led the Celtics down an impressive 16-2 post-season road and knocked off the Lakers to capture his second ring, the 09-10 NBA championship. For his inspirational heroics in the final two games of the series and an outstanding overall performance averaging a 26 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 blocks per game, Kevin Garnett was unanimously awarded the 2010 Finals MVP.

Up next: Draft Day & Rookie Previews
Clutch

Re: GSW - A 'Lord of the Ring' is Crowned

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:47 am

Yeah! Celts the champs once again :D
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: GSW - A 'Lord of the Ring' is Crowned

Postby Cartar on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:56 am

Pierce and Allen out and they still won? Nice...
Cartar

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood