Pouncing on Opportunity (NBA Live 06)

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Postby Its_asdf on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:42 am

The Bobcats are always a good team to play around with. They've got a ton of cap and some interesting young players.

Hopefully Gerald Wallace can develop into both a defensive and offensive monster.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby hova- on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:45 am

That is cool, I am really looking forward to your draft :)
Offseason with Cats is probably the best after one season !
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Anthony15 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:27 am

Well good luck with the Bobcats, they have lots of free salary cap!(Not in my dynasty they dont anymore :P)
Anthony15

Postby Mark. on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Much to my dissapointment most of the big names in the Free Agent Market decided to stay with their teams.
Caron Butler would have been a great addition to the team due to his ability to play a range of positions,
and his great skill sets on both ends of the court.
Ben Wallace would have been a great prospect for us, as with him and Meka in the frount court we would have been
able to take on most of the frontcourts in the league with a defensive interior like that,
however its good to see that my replacement in Detroit is not a complete tool, as letting Ben go would have been the
biggest mistake anybody could make.

With most of the talents I was looking at taking a chance on all resigning, it looks like I will have to focus on
building through the draft and make a few trades to sculpt the side how I want.

The following Bobcats players contracts had expired:

The first task was to decide who I actually want to keep, mos tof the players hadn't really impressed much
and were asking for contracts way above their calibre.
Even though i was most likely going to draft a guard or swingman, I still decided we should give Kareem Rush another chance.

Orignaly Rush was asking for 10.16m over 3 years but after a few days of not contacting him he lowered his a price a tad,
In the end we offered him a contract of 9.9m over 3 years which he accepted.

He is only 25 so that gives us time to try mould him into a solid starter for the team, if adter the 3 years he has impressed us
and showen us the improvement we wanted to see we will offer him a bigger contract.

Next I wanted to secure us one of our big men, unfortunately Lonny Baxter was asking too much for what I thought he could offer,
So I decided to have a crack at convinving Melvin Ely that a 1 year contract would suit him well, basically I didnt want to sign him
to a mulitple year contract if he wasnt going to show much improvement over the coming year, and wasnt wanting to take a gamble on him.

I tried an offer of 3.3m for 1 year, Ely wanted slightly less per year, but wanted a 3 year contract.

I decided not pursue a contract agreement with Ely any longer, instead hoping to find a decent big in the draft or FA.

I thne moved onto the two young swingmen, Bernard Robinson and Allan Anderson, I only wanted to resign one of them, and since Anderson
was the slightly better player, while still being younger I offered him a contract.

Anderson was asking for a 6 year deal worth almost 7 mil, once again I wasnt keen on giving such a long deal to a player that had yet
to prove their worth to me. I thought a deal more in the vacinity of 3 years would be more appropriate.

I decided to offer him a 3 year contract at 1.16m per year. Anderson's agent was quite abrupt in his response.

I then tried to offer a contract that would earn him more per year (1.5m) but only last for 2 years:

I decided that these talks werent going anywhere and that Anderson could try his luck elsewhere.

Deciding that Robinson wasnt really worth the effort of negotiating with, there was only one player left that I was interested in.

Kyle Burleson was asking for a minimal contract for onyl a year which suited me prefectly as I needed another PG as I wasnt yet sure
how the offseason was going to pan out for me in that department.

I offered Burleson a offer at the minimum contract (385/1 Year)which he was happy to accept:

The rest of the players didnt hold a place in my vision of the Bobcats roster and were left to pursure their careers on other teams.
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby The X on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm loving the fact that you didn't cave in to those idiotic player's demands :P much like I didn't when Watson asked for a long-term deal with the Bobcats in my old dynasty :lol:

nice start to the off-season....I think I like it cos it reminds me of my old Bobcats' dynasty :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Marquis on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:12 pm

wow nice switch to Charlotte
Looking forward for some trades
Marquis

Postby hova- on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:22 pm

Pretty good choice with your signings, some crappy players not resigned ...

Now you need a good draft and maybe there are some FAs left with huge potential.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Jing on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:44 pm

anderson really pwned you man. he was like "biatch get that shit outa my grill!!!"
Jing

Postby CouchPotato94 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:11 am

Nice, the 'Cats are always fun to do a dynasty with, good switch. (Y)
CouchPotato94

Postby Anthony15 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:40 am

Nice signings, even tho u shudn't have signed Kevin Burleson(btw its Kevin, not Kyle) and got a better PG from FA!
Anthony15

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:46 am

Nice, you change team and then you re-signed Kareem (Y) Nice :)
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Cornerthree on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:39 am

Damn Pistons kept Wallace...

I bet if they wouldn't done that, you'd be already having him...
Cornerthree

Postby Jugs on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:44 am

Rush sucks anus, I hope you trade him.
Jugs

Postby Its_asdf on Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:07 am

Dude, Rush is the godliest player to ever set foot on the place of the planet.

I'm glad you re-signed him. He's probably the best offensive option the Bobcats have, although thats not saying much.

I would have loved to see Ely and Anderson on your team but I guess you're going to go after some of the "bigger fish" free agents.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Mark. on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:06 pm

X wrote:I'm loving the fact that you didn't cave in to those idiotic player's demands much like I didn't when Watson asked for a long-term deal with the Bobcats in my old dynasty

nice start to the off-season....I think I like it cos it reminds me of my old Bobcats' dynasty

Yeah I went into FA with the main goal not to be giving up too much of my cap space on players that werent worth it, meh I could always resgin them later :P

Yeah I have taken an approach to the offseason like you did in your bobcats and balzers dynasties (Y)

Jing wrote:anderson really pwned you man. he was like "biatch get that shit outa my grill!!!"

:lol: :lol: Well I hope he has fun sitting in the FA pool all year

Anthony15 wrote:Nice signings, even tho u shudn't have signed Kevin Burleson(btw its Kevin, not Kyle) and got a better PG from FA!

Cheers for pointing that out, well I already have Knight, and I have someone in my eyes to sign in the offseason, which means I will probably trade Knight. Burleson has pretty good PG skills even though hsi rating is pretty low, plus he wont mind not getting many minutes (Y)

Thanks for all the comments guys,

and @ Its asdf and Jugs, I sitll havent decided on Rush, he is a pretty good offensive weapon, but at the same time he doesnt bring too much else to the table....

Rookie draft will be up soon
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Mark. on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:34 pm

1. LAL L. Ishito (SF)

2. WAS G. Caffey (PF)

3. UTA L. Aldridge (PF)

4. CHA B. Roy (SG)

5. SAC A. Bargnani (PF)

6. MIL B. Branch (PF)

7. CHI A. Morrison (SG)

8. SEA W. SIT (SG)

9. ORL H. Iwanaka (SF)

10. NOK I. Fedyk (SF)

11. LAC H. Armstrong (C) Rights traded to Toronto Raptors in exchange for rights to Marcus Williams

12. ATL D. Ludwig (PG)

13. TOR M. Williams (PG) Rights traded to Los Angles Clippers in exchange for rights to Hilton Armstrong

14. GSW O. Drummond (PG)

15. NYK S. Anurak (PG)

16. BOS M. Collins (PG)
17. MIN K. Cowell (SF)
18. MIA R. Brewer (SG)
19. DEN R. Gay (SF)
20. DAL S. Gillison (PF)
21. POR C. Simmons (C)
22. IND A. Snow (SF)
23. CLE G. Galanov (PF)
24. SAS R. Foye (PG)
25. HOU J. Farmar (PG)
26. PHO S. Williams (SF)
27. PHI S. Williams (PF)
28. NJN B. Roberts (SG)
29. MEM P. O'Bryant (C)
30. DET S. Onyango (SF)
31. UTA P. Strickland (PG)
32. WAS J. Redick (SG)
33. LAL R. Skrnjug (SF)
34. CHA T. Thomas (PF)
35. SAC D. Slater (C)
36. MIL H. Blain (PG)
37. CHI R. Carney (SG)
38. SEA Y. Wolf (PF)
39. ORL M. Moore (PG)
40. NOK A. Jarvis (SF)
41. LAC W. Fong (C)
42. ATL J. XU (SG)
43. TOR D. Jones (SF)
44. GSW H. Ivkovic (SG)
45. NYK J. White (SG)
46. BOS A. Fergus (SG)
47. MIN D. Rasmusson (C)
48. MIA A. Cheung (PF)
49. DEN A. Ray (SG)
50. DAL C. Njinkeu (C)
51. POR M. Ager (SG)
52. IND C. Mbembe (PF)
53. CLE D. Ramsey (SF)
54. SAS D. Crawford (SG)
55. HOU G. Selivanov (SG)
56. PHO A. Bogues (C)
57. PHI I. Hendrix (PF)
58. NJN A. Watson (PF)
59. MEM M. Smart (C)
60. DET A. Barlow (PF)

How much luck can one man have?!?!
Come my 4th pick I was still unsure who to pick, I wanted to get a guard or at least wing player so I was stuck with the choice or Rudy Gay and Brandon Roy.
I decided to go with Roy as he was probably a better shooter and if Rush couldn't perform to the level I was looking for Roy could slot into the starting line up.
Then watching the rest of the first round picks my eyes kept getting wider and wider each time Tyrus Thomas slipped a pick.
I'm beginning to think the other GM's must have been on crack, IMO Thomas was a lock for a top 15 selection.
So out the window went my plans of JJ Redick or that kid Moore from NZ, I would have been insane to pass up Thomas.

On the other teams picks:
One pick that caused a big supprise was the Warriors selection of Drummond with the 14th pick. At the time I thought it was a bit early (this kid wasn't even in the top 40 draft board) however it was still a solid pick IMO as this kid can play the PG postion well due to his great IQ and guard skills, then add in he is 6'9" and hes looking like another Scottie Pippen.
But heres why I think he may be one of the greatest supprise selections of all time.... over the offseason hes growen another 2 inches!!
Maybe he wasnt measured properly or something, but now the Warriors have a player who is naturally a PG standing at 6'11", too make it better, hes grown into hsi new height easily, and has even added some bulk while still retaining his quickness.

Other than that there werent any outstanding selections I believe.
Robert Skrnjug with the 33rd was a good pick by the Lakers as he will bring some much needed hustle and defense.
Also Andrew Watson slipping to 58 was a huge supprise and the Nets will surely reap the benefits of that pick.
Chicago got lucky in the 2nd round selecting Carney with the 37th, but they also had a silly pick taking Morrison with the 7th, IMO they should have traded down, in their defense most of the Bigs they were looking at were taken, but Tyrus Thomas was still there.
The egotistical Will Sit will have to learn behind Ray Allen for a few years by the looks of it. Good pick for the Sonics as this kid really needs a teacher before he can fully live up to his potential.

Bobcats Draft Grade: A+

It can't have been better, although most of it came down to luck and sheer idiocy of the other GM's
Last edited by Mark. on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Jing on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:39 pm

ho god.. sit looks like a total monster.
nice cats jerseys, good job dragon.
tisk 42 at atlanta hawks. i am gonna dunk on josh smith in practice
btw in ur little recap you had jugs and carney both being drafted at #37
Jing

Postby Mark. on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:43 pm

Jing wrote:ho god.. sit looks like a total monster.
nice cats jerseys, good job dragon.
tisk 42 at atlanta hawks. i am gonna dunk on josh smith in practice

Yeah the Cats jeresys look real nice, makes it so I can play without being sick.

Haha preactice is where you will be getting most of your burn, after one month the Hawks aint playing you much :(
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Arcane on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:44 pm

great draft and very nice pick ups for your bobcats mark (Y)
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Buckley on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:56 pm

Wow, how did you manage to get Tyrus? Great draft (Y)
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: StlrsRoc

Buckley

Postby Its_asdf on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:06 am

Amazing job on getting Tyrus Thomas, that was one hell of a steal although I'm still not sold on whether or not he's a PF or SF.

Brandon Roy was another great draft choice.

For an Asian Sit has some pretty big eyes don't you think?
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Jing on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:09 am

he's being anal probed by riot

and i just noticed how small the sonics text on the jersey was... like alomst twice as small as the normal one man.
btw drummond's arm is like wtf
Jing

Postby Cornerthree on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:49 am

Good presentation...

Thomas is my fave from this year's draft...

Looking forward to your next season!!
Cornerthree

Postby Scorer--20 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:48 am

looks good !!

I really think your bobcats will improve in the next season (Y) (Y)
Scorer--20

Postby Anthony15 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:09 am

Scorer--20 wrote:I really think your bobcats will improve in the next season (Y) (Y)

2nd that!

How much cap space do u still have?
Anthony15

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame