Andrew's Chicago Bulls Dynasty - November 2006

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Postby LegoTP on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:39 pm

Kemp had a great game to start the season. (Y) Tough loss, hope you'll win the next game. :)
Thanks to : c0nr4d for the sig
LegoTP

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:06 pm

Denver star injured, may miss three weeks

DENVER, CO -- Nuggets star forward Carmelo Anthony is expected to miss up to three weeks after injuring his back in Denver's 101-82 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Pepsi Center yesterday. Carmelo landed awkwardly after a hard foul by Chris Mihm and was carried off the court on a stretcher. X-rays were negative but the injury will likely force Anthony to sit until at least November 16th when the Nuggets will take on the New Orleans Hornets.

Anthony averaged 14 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists through the first two games of the season. He had 16 points, 11 rebounds and 5 assists in 36 minutes against the Lakers before leaving the game in the fourth quarter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Heiks on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:15 pm

Wow, Kemp was a monster in his first game, too bad you lost.
Give respect, get respect.
Heiks

Postby KIG1 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:35 am

Kemp is a animal (Y) :lol:
KIG1

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:23 am

Hard loss Andrew... but yeah Kemp did great.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Buckley on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:28 am

man kemp is awesome. tough loss.
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: StlrsRoc

Buckley

Postby Kemp on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:19 am

Good to see Kemp posted some nice stats in his first game back since the 2002-2003 season. He just need more playing time in order to regain his rhythm back. Hope you can beat the Wizards next.
Kemp

Postby streetballaz1 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:33 am

great dynasty andrew (Y)
it's nice to see kemp play
Thanks to cable guy for the sig
my jersey avatars
streetballaz1

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:30 am

Kemp is filling in well replacing Curry seems like it. Good job getting the first win and nice to finally see you back doing a dynasty for 06'.
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:50 am

BhZmAFiA(2) wrote:Kemp is filling in well replacing Curry seems like it. Good job getting the first win and nice to finally see you back doing a dynasty for 06'.

I didn't win. ;)

November 4th, 2005
Washington (111) at Chicago (121)
Bulls avenge playoff elimination after difficult start

[ Boxscore ]

Very few fans in the United Center would have expected the team to be celebrating their first win of the season. The Wizards came out on fire, determined to prove last year's first round defeat of the Bulls was no fluke, opening the game with a 10-0 run that had Chicago reeling. The Bulls did not score their first point until almost five minutes had elapsed. It looked like a long night for the Bulls in the Windy City as the Bulls were down as many as 17-2.

Led by Gordon's 9 first quarter points Chicago rallied to end the quarter down by a more respectable score of 23-15 but the Wizards' onslaught continued in the second quarter. Washington abused Chicago on the boards scoring often on second chance attempts and making life difficult for the Bulls inside. Wesley Person came off the bench to lead a charge that saw Chicago get the deficit back to single digits by the half but the Bulls were a long way from getting back into the game.

Washington began the third quarter on fire once more stretching the lead to as many as 14 early on. Slowly but surely the Bulls started to creep back in the game, despite Ben Gordon sitting for most of the period due to foul trouble. Person continued his hot shooting while the team kept getting to the foul line and Andres Nocioni provided a late spark to bring the Bulls within four at the end of the third. Chicago had a chance at a final shot to close the gap to one or two but Michael Ruffin intercepted Gordon's pass and ran out the clock.

Perhaps reminded of their fourth quarter collapse against the Bobcats two nights ago, the Bulls began a relentless attack as the fourth quarter got underway, taking an 81-80 lead on Gordon's three pointer. After the teams traded baskets the Bulls took the lead for good at 89-88 with about 4:37 remaining. Holding the lead the rest of the way, Gordon punctuated the win with a three pointer at the buzzer to cap a 10 point victory.

Caron Butler was one of the high points for the Wizards, scoring 27 points on a dazzling array of dunks and layups. Arenas scored 18 points and handed out 9 assists but was 6/22 from the field. Ben Gordon led all scorers with 31 points.

Coach's Diary
November 4th - A well earned victory

You never want to admit defeat as early as the first quarter but when we went down 17-2, I wasn't looking forward to the final 36 minutes. After what happened two days ago I wasn't sure if the guys could respond to the challenge and to be honest, I wouldn't have blamed them if they'd lost heart even when we'd come back to be down eight at the end of the first. I wouldn't have blamed them if they'd lost faith in the second when we were slipping again.

But they refused to give up and I couldn't be prouder of them. That's the kind of attitude we need if we are to be successful this year. Wes was one of the first guys we congratulated in the locker room. He came on cold and scored those eight points in the second including that big three that got us back within nine. After that I knew I'd have to give him some more time in the second half and he didn't disappoint.

Noce was awesome in the second half, grabbing boards left and right and making his free throws. Once we finally snared our first lead in the fourth the guys just went up another level. We were fortunate to get away with a 10 point victory because the Wizards were with us right up until the last minute and a half. But we withstood their run and we can very proud of what we did tonight.

But we all know it won't happen every night. We won't be able to come back from 15 down night in and night out. I don't think we'll be able to do that against the Nets, not with their big three of Carter, Kidd and Jefferson. We need to come out strong, stay strong and finish strong. But I think this game taught us a lot. I can see everyone starting to slide into their roles and even though we made mistakes and there were tough moments we came through them and played a lot better as a team. New Jersey won't be easy but we'll be going in there a much more confident team.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:36 pm

OOPS :lol: I got caught up looking at alot of other dynasties to so I guess I got a little mixed up. But I was talking about the game you just updated :lol: Gordon had one of those big nights, but both of your big men didn't shoot too well combining for 4-14.
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby The X on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:15 pm

first off, good to see you back in the dynasty section :cool:

secondly, I'm really liking your first moves as the Bulls' GM....the Tim Thomas trade was great....very realistic to move the disgruntled and unused forward to Charlotte for a hardworking bigman like Jake Voskuhl....just what the team needed....the Kemp move is nice as well....with Curry out of the picture, the Bulls needed a quality force inside....sure, he might not be the player he once was, but he's still better than anything else on the Bulls' roster....don't like the Wesley Person deal though, would have preferred you to keep Basden, and esp. considering the money you gave him, cap space might have been better utilised in a trade....either way, I'm liking where you are taking these Bulls....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Mark. on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:26 pm

Good game there andrew, good to see Ben stepping up. I'm loving these coaches diaries after the games
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Ruff Ryder on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Nice game for Nocioni. (Y) I was wondering when/if you'd do another one.

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:48 pm

The X wrote:first off, good to see you back in the dynasty section :cool:

secondly, I'm really liking your first moves as the Bulls' GM....the Tim Thomas trade was great....very realistic to move the disgruntled and unused forward to Charlotte for a hardworking bigman like Jake Voskuhl....just what the team needed....the Kemp move is nice as well....with Curry out of the picture, the Bulls needed a quality force inside....sure, he might not be the player he once was, but he's still better than anything else on the Bulls' roster....don't like the Wesley Person deal though, would have preferred you to keep Basden, and esp. considering the money you gave him, cap space might have been better utilised in a trade....either way, I'm liking where you are taking these Bulls....

Thanks X, I can see where you're coming from as far as Wes Person is concerned, but he started earning his money in the last game. ;) He's also signed for one year so his contract will come off the books. I've got $1 million left in cap space since the Thomas deal cleared a lot of $$$ of the books so I've got a bit of room for change if need be.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Heiks on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:21 pm

That was one sick 4th quarter. And a good job on the freethrows. :wink: (Y)
Give respect, get respect.
Heiks

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:32 pm

Thanks Heiks. :) I didn't realise until after the game how close I'd come to perfection and that I'd taken 34 free throws - if there's one improvement on previous Lives apart from the fast break it's that both teams tend to shoot a realistic number of free throws - shame I blew one with Hinrich.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:58 pm

November 5th, 2005
Chicago (123) at New Jersey (122)
Bulls escape with one point victory

[ Boxscore ]

Ben Gordon got the Bulls off to a fine start and led the charge in an impressive finish. The second year guard was held scoreless through the second and third quarters after scoring 10 points in the first quarter but erupted for 19 fourth quarter points as Chicago squeezed out a one point victory over the Nets in New Jersey after trailing by as many as 11 in the third.

Chicago appeared to have the upper hand after the first period, having erased a six point deficit to lead by two after Mike Sweetney made a layup as time expired. But New Jersey had other plans, with their big three of Vince Carter, Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson abusing the Bulls' defense with swooping dunks, tough jumpers and cold blooded threes. Chicago were back on their heels as New Jersey rode an eight point lead into halftime.

The Bulls were dealt an early blow when starting forward Shawn Kemp went down with what would turn out to be a jammed thumb. Kemp would later return to score 16 points and grab 8 boards but reinjured his thumb and took a seat during the final minutes. Nocioni however scored 16 points and collected 8 rebounds of his own, playing most of the game at power forward.

Behind Gordon's impressive fourth quarter, in which he shot 8/11 from the field (2/3 from downtown) grabbed 4 rebounds and handed out 3 assists, the Bulls appeared to have the game in the bag when they took a 117-109 lead on a Gordon three. But New Jersey had other ideas, as Kidd, Carter and Jefferson each hit a three to tie the game at 117.

Nocioni hit a pair of free throws to put Chicago up 119-117 but on the next trip down the floor veteran big man Cliff Robinson drilled a long three from the right wing to give the Nets a 120-119 advantage. The Nets were slow to get back on defense and Chicago took advantage, with Hinrich rushing the ball upcourt and feeding Nocioni for a dunk with 33 seconds left in the game.

With no timeouts left, the Nets quickly made their way into the frontcourt and setup a play for Carter. His shot missed but Robinson collected the rebound and made a layup with 14 seconds left, putting the Nets up 122-121. Chicago used its last timeout to advance the ball. Hinrich took the inbound pass and found Nocioni down low, who was hacked on his layup attempt. His two free throws gave Chicago a 123-122 lead and left New Jersey with 12 seconds and no timeouts.

The Nets got the ball upcourt in a hurry but were unable to find Vince Carter for a final shot. The ball ended up in the hands of Nenad Krstic, who forced a long two with only a couple of seconds left. Nocioni grabbed the rebound and time expired, allowing Chicago to walk out the victors as the Continental Airlines Arena crowd sat in stunned silence.

Reignman injured in Bulls victory

CHICAGO, IL -- Bulls starting forward Shawn Kemp injured his thumb during the their 123-122 victory over the New Jersey Nets last night. Kemp jammed his thumb attempting to block a shot by Richard Jefferson in the first quarter and took an early seat. He returned to action and scored 16 points and grabbed 8 rebounds before reaggravating the injury in a collision with Nenad Krstic.

X-rays were negative but Kemp is reportedly still suffering from soreness in his thumb. The injury has not been deemed serious and Kemp will likely play through it, though he is listed as day-to-day and may see reduced minutes off the bench until his thumb has completely healed.

Coach's Diary
November 5th - Phew!

When Cliff hit that three pointer then scored off the offensive rebound...well, I couldn't believe we let them back in the game. When Ben hit that three to put us up 117-109, I thought we had put them away for good. Kudos to the Nets for refusing to quit and storming right back, though that's obviously a big concern for us. We can't let that keep happening. Noce was the hero again, hitting those big free throws, but lost in the shuffle was Wes who scored 13 in the third quarter to close the gap while we were struggling. Wes is shooting an amazing 59% from the floor and 53% from downtown, averaging 12.3 ppg. He's been great for us the last couple of games.

Ben's fourth quarter was simply amazing. He didn't let the second and third quarters bother him in the slightest. He began the period the way he began the game, hitting jumpers after beating the likes of Vince, Jason and RJ off the dribble. I can't believe his numbers in the fourth. 19 points, 8/11 shooting, 2/3 from downtown, 4 rebounds, 3 assists. There are players in this league that would be praised for having a game like that. And he managed it in a single quarter. I think he's going to handle the pressure of being out first option just fine.

Shawn's injury has come at a bad time though. We'll need him against the Spurs because we'll need every big man we've got to throw at Tim Duncan. We'll have our hands full with Ginobili as it is. Even though I feel our backcourt is a little underrated defensively we are small and I know Manu will be looking to exploit that.

Still, the last couple of wins have done wonders for our confidence. We could have thrown the Nets game away but we held on and rose to every challenge. No one expected us to win the Wizards game but we did. San Antonio are the defending champions but we can't allow ourselves to be in awe of them. We know how good they are and respect what they've accomplished. But we can't let that rule our mindset. We're not in this league to back down from challenges.

Transactions

Phoenix signs G Eddie Basden to a 1 year minimum contract

Chicago places G Jannero Pargo on the Inactive List and activated G/F Eric Piatkowski
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Drex on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:02 pm

Dumb Kemp. Great win, Andrew (Y)
Drex
You bastards!!!

Postby Avrah3 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:11 pm

nice win but maybe you should change your sliders so the scores won't be so high.
Bucks next champs! Go Bucks!
Avrah3

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:18 pm

I do believe I've mentioned I'm still working on sliders once or twice elsewhere. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Avrah3 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:24 pm

I know my bad forgot. :oops:
Bucks next champs! Go Bucks!
Avrah3

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:28 pm

Great wins Andrew (Y) Sucks that Reignman got injured, hope he recovers fast
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby The X on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:35 pm

seems you do what I do....if it's only a minor injury, send 'em back in there....although, Shawn is getting on in years, so maybe it wasn't a good idea
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Injury Update

Shawn Kemp's recovery was quicker than expected. With a day's rest between the Nets game and the contest against San Antonio, his thumb is now fine and he's been given a clean bill of health by team doctors.

November 7th, 2005
San Antonio (111) at Chicago (101)
Defending champions tame Bulls

[ Boxscore ]

The San Antonio Spurs stopped the Bulls' winning streak at two with a dominating 111-101 victory in Chicago. At times the Spurs led by as many as 17 as they tormented the Bulls with swarming defense and potent offense. Tony Parker's penetration saw him rack up 34 points as well as create opportunities for Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, who scored 20 and 24 points respectively. Ginobili was all over the court as he also grabbed 7 rebounds, dished out 7 assists and made 5 steals.

Chicago had gained control of the game at the end of the first quarter but fell victim to the Spurs' tough defense early in the second, giving up several fast break points. Outscored 34-14 in the period, they battled back in the third and came within six points late in the fourth but faltered again.

Ben Gordon had a tough night, shooting only 8/27 from the field and committing 8 turnovers though he managed to score 18 points and had 4 steals and 4 rebounds. Kirk Hinrich's 20 points led the Bulls, Hinrich also had 6 rebounds and 7 assists. Nocioni injured his calf in the third but returned to score 14 points and grab 9 rebounds in the final quarter.

Teammates in Athens, Ginobili and Nocioni were opponents tonight in Chicago

Coach's Diary
November 7th - Put in our place

That's what it feels like. Perhaps we were too confident of victory over the defending champions. Or maybe we were too intimidated. Whatever it was, they showed us why they were the 2005 champs. I feel we could've given them a better run for their money but with that second quarter we had we were lucky to only fall by 10. We gave it another spirited run but it was too late then.

I wasn't happy with our bench tonight. Noce was the only bright spot, and he's probably going to be hobbled a bit by his calf troubles. I know I didn't give the guys much of a chance but nothing seemed to click when I had Ben and Kirk out of the game. I need to find a way of using Chris effectively off the bench.

The ease at which Parker was able to slice through our defense and score in the lane troubled me. Not to take anything away from him, but we weren't doing much to stop him. We've got Baron Davis next, he doesn't have Parker's quickness but he's still explosive and a great athlete. That's something we'll work on tomorrow.

Nocioni hurting but will play

CHICAGO, IL -- Andres Nocioni suffered an injury to his left calf muscle during the Bulls' home game against San Antonio on November 7th but is not expected to miss any action. The injury occurred late in the third quarter as Nocioni became tangled with Olympic teammate Manu Ginobili as he drove to the basket. While Ginobili went to the free throw line and calmly sank both free throws Nocioni hobbled to the bench. He returned in the fourth, scoring 14 of his 19 points and hauling in 9 rebounds.

A big part of the Bulls' resurgence last season, this year Nocioni is averaging 15.3 ppg and 9.8 rpg in four games off the bench. He is listed as day-to-day but is expected to be in uniform when the Bulls take on the Golden State Warriors November 9th.

Gasol on the shelf

BOSTON, MA -- Memphis forward Pau Gasol is expected to miss at least 11 days after falling awkwardly in the Grizzlies' 101-86 victory over the Boston Celtics. Gasol appeared to slip as he drove to the basket and was unable to rejoin the play as the Celtics scooped up the loose ball and scored in transition. The injury has been described as a strained thigh muscle and figures to put Gasol out for almost two weeks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame