::: A Legend Is Born ::: (NBA Live 06)

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Are you looking forward to the release of A Legend Is Born Part II?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 73

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:01 pm

Chapter Index

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen – Part 1
Chapter Nineteen – Part 2
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five

---

Coming Up on A Legend Is Born...

What will Mark and Flo find at the NBA Pre-Draft Camp?

Is Liu Ishito good enough to challenge Chara for that number 1 spot?

What happens to Reshawn Tyson and Eddie Griffin in that jail cell?

Does Jing change jobs... again?

And get ready for Round 3 of the playoffs!
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby A-Sot on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:43 pm

I know what happens with Reshawn and Griffin, i go to the PD and whoop Eddie's ass :D
"What do you want to be remembered for ? As someone who went out and played basketball just as hard as he could and was a total team player"
Antoine "Flash" Howard 1975 - 2004
A-Sot

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Other NBA Awards

All-NBA Teams

All-Defensive Teams

T-Mobile All-Rookie Teams

Coach of the Year

Fresh8

Postby Jing on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:16 am

wow o_0 i am a floor sweeper, the odd jobs continue.

if any of them mess with me i am taking them out with the broom
Jing

Postby Marquis on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:52 am

Nice, Sit :D

The stats by Houston Rockets looking some kind of weird for me
Marquis

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Jing, maybe you will have an even worse job next time...

and Marquis, ur right hey... Bob Sura, Dijon(?) Glover and Lonny Baxter look weird... same with Swift
Fresh8

Postby Kemp on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:43 pm

Congrats Kobe on his remarkable achievement. (Y) I will be waiting for the recaps of round 3 of the playoffs. Keep it up. (Y)
Kemp

Postby pHLo on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:33 am

Lonny Baxter hopped in in a game, grabbed 3 boards and was sent to the bench again, nice season xD

props to z-mac for that sig
pHLo

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Second Round Wrap-up

Western Conference Recap

1 Houston Rockets v 5 Golden State Warriors -- Number 5 seed Golden State knew they had to win Game 1 to have the best shot at toppling the favourites for the NBA championship. Tracy McGrady didn’t let them finish the job as he helped bring Houston from 7 points down with 3 minutes left to become winners of game 1 on a slim 3 point margin.

Houston came out hot in Game 2 and assured themselves that there would be no need for heroics in that game after starting on a 17-2 scoring run in the first 5 minutes of the game. Yao Ming struggled in Game 1 before fouling out, was huge in Game 2 as he led the team with 32 points and 8 rebounds. McGrady scored 16 points in the first half and added 7 more before being benched for the full final quarter. Baron Davis got injured in the third quarter in Game 2 and it was a huge blow as he was playing very well; his stat line ended as 15 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists.

- - -

2 Los Angeles Lakers v 6 San Antonio -- San Antonio sure made a statement in their thrashing of the Lakers in Game 1. Many thought Jackson would allow Kobe to take over in Game 2 and 3 but the Lakers stayed cool and shared the ball. And that ended with gratifying results.

Game 1 was over after the first half and Game 2 always had the Lakers in control. And it was the pivotal Game 3 that had fans jumping out of their seats. Multiple lead changes, questionable calls and a buzzer beater epitomised Game 3. Kobe Bryant didn’t lead the Lakers in scoring in any of the three games while Tim Duncan dominated against the Lakers frontcourt. Bryant averaged just 19 ppg and it was just as surprising that Luke Walton hit a buzzer beating jumper from just inside the three point line to push LA into the NBA Semi Finals.

- - -

Eastern Conference Recap

1 Detroit Pistons v 4 Cleveland Cavaliers -- LeBron James didn’t get a break during the entire series against the Pistons as Detroit steam rolled into the next round- as expected. Detroit limited ‘King James’ to 15 points in Game 1 and then 8 in Game 2. All James could say was, “Well, I guess they did a good job on me (defensively).”

The Pistons proved too strong with Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace leading the way with both of them averaging a tad more than 20 ppg. The club was rocked with controversy though as Ben Wallace spoke, in a post-game interview, of his lack of passion to play basketball in Detroit anymore. This has led to prompt speculation that Ben Wallace is preparing to sign with a different team this off-season.

- - -

2 New Jersey Nets v 3 Miami Heat -- Everyone thought that this series would be closer than the game scores show; let alone the series ending in a sweep. Shaq’s age seems to be catching up to him while Dwyane Wade’s inexperience is hurting the team. Their opponents New Jersey shouldn’t be underrated either as they played as well as they should have to destroy the Heat in two games.

Vince Carter was brilliant as he scored 37 and 34 points on the Heat. Jason Kidd racked up back to back triple doubles and Richard Jefferson was unbelievably accurate from behind the arc; shooting 11 for 17 in the series. In Game 2, emotions were running high as many expected it to be Gary Payton and Alonzo Mourning’s last NBA games. The two played sparingly but had one last fitting highlight to give to their fans: Payton’s alley oop pass was perfect and Zo did convert it into two points. However, Zo only tipped it in; a sign of age and perhaps a sign that their careers have indeed come to an end.

- - -

Conference Finals Preview

1 Houston Rockets v 2 Los Angeles Lakers -- Los Angeles will not have home court advantage for the first time in this post-season and travel to play a red-hot Houston side. It is vital for Kobe Bryant to shut down Tracy McGrady if LA wants to win in this one. The Lakers’ new plan of sharing the ball and allowing everyone a go has worked well.

In the latest series against San Antonio, the Spurs showed how to expose it and forcing the Lakers to go back to Kobe. Phil Jackson faces a decision about whether to continue with his strategy or let Kobe do the work. It will be Yao Ming’s job to take advantage of a weak Lakers frontcourt rotation and Houston will need to shut down Kobe’s other team mates throughout the series.

This series will go to three games. The winner is unpredictable but Houston should hold the upper hand with two All-Stars on the roster.

Prediction: Houston in 3

1 Detroit Pistons v 2 New Jersey Nets -- The super defensive Detroit Pistons meet the high scoring trio of Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson. This series should be an exciting match up however Jason Kidd is looking a bit more fatigued than usual and unfortunately for the Nets, they don’t have any depth coming off the bench.

Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson are playing exceptionally well and it could be up to them to help their backcourt partner Kidd win. Detroit though won’t be ready to let Carter score 30 points on them though and should be tough to get past. On offence, Flip Saunders has made them better and their defence remains just as dominant. Ben Wallace should easily account for Krstic while Prince, Billups and Hamilton will take out the Nets’ star trio. That leaves Rasheed Wallace to roam around and be dangerous. If he plays well, the Pistons should win easily.

We’re predicting a sweep here.

Prediction: Detroit in 2
Fresh8

Postby Mark. on Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:59 pm

Nice stuff, im loving these match ups (Y)
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby pHLo on Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:49 pm

exciting matchups :D

I hope NJ will win it all :P

pHLo

Postby Marquis on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:02 am

Want to see Rockets - Nets final. Carter vs McGrady
Marquis

Postby pHLo on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:44 am

oh that would be awesome :D

pHLo

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:45 am

Rockets - Nets would be the most interesting matchup actually (Y)

EDIT: Also, I will be releasing a chapter a day so that we can finish this before live 07 comes out. So chances are that you will see Chapter 26 up tonight. (Y)
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:43 pm

Chapter 26

“So how did you get in here?”
“Cops think I ran someone down.”
“Oh true.”
Reshawn Tyson and Eddie Griffin were talking in their jail cell; both sitting on the edge of their not-so comfortable beds. Griffin shook his head as he felt disgusted about being arrested.
“Man, what about you?”
Tyson grimaced, “I sort of went a bit crazy at my workout.”
“With the Wovles?” asked Griffin.
“Yeah, your team,” Tyson said.
Griffin laughed, “It ain’t my team and I don’t want to play there no more.”
“Why?”
“The management is bad,” Griffin said softly, “Plus, it’s KG’s team. He rules it and they all bow down to him like he’s some sort of a God.”
“Well, he is a hell of a player though.”
Griffin admitted, “That’s true.”
Detective Vince Thompson then walked up to the jail cell and opened it up, “Griffin, you’re free.”
“Thank God,” Griffin muttered, “Finally see the light.”
“It’s your lucky day, the actual guy turned himself in,” Thompson said in a very disappointed tone.
Griffin stood up and put his fist out to Tyson, “Peace son, hope you get out of here soon.”
Tyson returned the gesture and watched Griffin walk out before Alex Sotirov walked in.
Tyson was a bit surprised, “How’d you know I was here?”
Sotirov laughed, “I know a lot of things. Detective Thompson, we will pay Tyson’s bail and get him out.”
Thompson nodded and told Tyson to get out. It was a little while before Tyson was a free man again.
As Tyson and Sotirov walked out, Sotirov whispered into Tyson’s ear, “We need to get you out of here quickly. Your mother rang and told me what happened, we will go home for now.”

It was a cold day in Brooklyn- a sad day for the Tyson family. Reshawn hid behind his sunglasses as he broke down in front of what was to be his brother’s resting place. Mrs Tyson clung onto Mrs Akonnor who had come to help look after her. Mr Akonnor and Rocky watched on solemnly as they farewelled the youngest Tyson.
“Tayshawn would have been a fine man,” Mrs Akonnor reassured Mrs Tyson softly, “It is a tragedy to lose him.”
She led her away as Rocky and his father followed. Alex Sotirov waited nearby for the group. Reshawn wanted to spend some time alone.’
“I’m sorry Tay,” Reshawn was choking on his own words, “I couldn’t save you. I’m so sorry.”
“Sorry won’t bring him back,” a voice said from behind.
It was Stephon Marbury, “What I didn’t tell you is that I got to know Tayshawn well and if there’s anything that he would have wanted; it would be for you and your mother to be happy. The kid really was mature for his age.”
Reshawn found it hard to control his own emotion and Marbury put his hand on his shoulder, “Tyson, death isn’t the end. It’s only the beginning. Life goes on here for you though. I think you should know that your brother will watch you from Heaven and follow you.”
Marbury patted Reshawn on the shoulder, “His biggest hero was you, don’t let him down man.”
Marbury walked away after putting a teddy bear on top of the grave leaving Reshawn alone. Reshawn took his sunglasses off and wiped his eyes with his sleeve. He suddenly knelt down on the ground and cried for a bit more before pulling himself from off the ground and joining his mom for the silent ride home.

- - -

“And how is that ladies and gentlemen?” yelled Hubie Brown, “Rip Hamilton with the game tying bucket!”
Mike Breen announced, “That’s a great jumper at the buzzer, New jersey really took a big chance at not fouling him.”
“The game has gone to overtime,” Hubie Brown said, “Now we’re going courtside with Jim Gray.”
“Thanks Hubie, I’m here with Darko Milicic of Detroit. Darko, how does it feel to be in the Eastern Conference Finals again?”
Darko wasn’t looking too thrilled, “It’s great. I mean, the warm feeling is the same. The bench is always warm because of me.”
Jim Gray faked a laugh, “And how was Rip’s shot at the buzzer?”
“Oh, that was good,” Darko said, rolling his eyes, “Once again, I got the best seat in the house to see it.”
Jin Gray turned his back on Darko and raised an eyebrow, “Ok, Hubie. That’s it from me at the Pistons bench. I will just let you go to Lisa who’s with the Nets.”
Lisa Salters then appeared on the television screen with Vince Carter, “Vince, you guys will be going into overtime soon. You won Game 1 convincingly, any thoughts on how you’re going to tackle the Pistons now?”
Vince Carter smiled, “Well, we just got to keep going with our game plan and we just got to keep running. We want to win and seal this at home. We’re only five minutes from the NBA Finals.”
Lisa then asked, “And do you think you will get to the Finals?”
“Hell yeah baby!” cheered Carter as he waved to the home crowd.
“Back to you in the studio Hubie,” Lisa yelled over the noise of the crowd.
“Thank you to Lisa and Jim who were courtside,” Hubie said, “Mike, what do you think?”
Mike analysed the game thus far, “I think the Nets have been impressive up to half tiem of this game. They really controlled the tempo but the Pistons have awakened from their slumber and are playing championship calibre defence. They are showing it’s never to late to start playing well.”
“Yeah well,” Hubie said, “They have definitely stepped it up after trailing by 20 earlier today. Who do you think will win?”
“Rasheed is tearing it up down there,” Mike predicted, “I think he will stay that way and the Pistons should win this one.”
Play had started again and Vince Carter flushed the ball into the hoop to the delight of the crowd. Carter celebrated and gave high fives to Jefferson and Kidd. That would be the last time Carter would be smiling.
Ten minutes later, Hubie announced, “Well, Game Three is on the cards in both Conference Finals this year. The Pistons won tonight’s game 106 to 98 and tune into ABC in three days for Game 3 between the Detroit Pistons and the New Jersey Nets!”
Sit switched his TV set off and propped his feet on his couch. He reached for the phone and keyed in a number.

Flo’s phone rang and he answered it, “Hello?”
It was Alex Buckley, “Hey Flo, ESPN has asked if you would be interested in writing a draft article.”
Flo smiled, “Sure, of course I would!”
“Ok then, when you get back to Minnesota, I will hook you up with the details Sir.”
Flo hung up before another call came in, “Hello?”
This time it was Sit, “Hey Flo, how’d your mission go?”
“It was good man,” Flo said, “Looks like our friend Grant Galanov is looking at being drafted in the Top 3. Moses should stay there too. This Liu Ishito guy is pretty good too.”
“Sounds like the Americans have overtaken the international players,” Sit said.
“Sure have,” Flo agreed, “But we should be able to get our hands on someone good. This draft looks promising.”
Sit then asked Flo, “Is Mark there?”
Flo tapped Mark on his shoulder and handed the phone to him, “Hey mate.”
“Hey Mark, I just talked to Flo. What are your thoughts?” Sit asked.
“I think Moses Chara is the guy to get but if it backfires, Liu Ishito is a good option,” Mark replied, “I’m a fan for undersized shooting guards after all.”
Sit laughed, “You know we already got McCants.”
“Yeah, I know,” Mark said.
“Well, I hope you guys get back to Minnesota soon,” Sit said, “Pretty crazy right now. I’m having a poker night when the Lakers play in two days so you guys better be here.”
“No worries boss,” Mark assured Sit before hanging up.

Sit, Jing, Peter, Flo and Mark sat at the table playing Poker as Game Three of the Western Conference Finals was being played out.
“How’s your new job Jing?” Sit asked him.
“It sucks man,” Jing said, “When will I get a real job?”
Peter laughed, “When I leave mine. Thanks man, I needed help cleaning anyway.”
Jing sarcastically replied, “Oh, I love to clean toilets too.”
Mark then threw his hand of cards down onto the table, “Look on TV, the Lakers are making a comeback!”
Kobe Bryant held the ball up high over his head and looked to pass the ball. The Lakers were playing in Houston and it was do or die. They had trailed by 11 entering the final period but a spirited comeback had them down 83 to 78 with three minutes left. Kobe passed to Odom who was down on the low block and backing down Juwan Howard. Odom showed great vision as he passed behind his back to Kwame Brown who had cut into the paint. Brown caught the ball and softly lay the ball in.
“That’s what I’m talking about!” Sit yelled out, spilling his drink.
“Man, clean that up!” Flo shouted.
Sit ignored him and cheered on as the Lakers stopped a Rockets attack and pushed the ball up the floor. Kobe got the pass from Walton and went up for his trademark jumper over McGrady. The ball swished through the hoop and LA was only trailing by 1 point.
Marv Albert commentated, “The Lakers are just 1 point down in this game! It looks like the series is still going! They are still alive!”
Sit was jumping up and down and Mark was joining in the celebration.
“You’re drunk aren’t you?” Sit asked.
Mark fell onto the floor and was lying on the ground, “Sure am.”
Flo and Jing were rooting for the Rockets and groaned as Bryant seemed to come out of nowhere to block McGrady’s shot from behind. They laughed though as Bryant collected the ball and took it down quickly and finished with a missed dunk.
“Oh man!” Sit cried, “Don’t miss now.”
The Rockets got the ball back and set up their half court offence. They shared the ball around as the Lakers played defence. Yao Ming missed a close shot and it was Luke Walton who got the rebound. He passed the ball to Odom who ran the clock down by holding onto the ball. Houston didn’t want to commit a foul.
“Times running out,” Peter said under his breathe.
It was at that moment that Lamar went up for an unexpected three pointer. He launched the ball at the flick of his wrist and it spun in the air towards its target. Flo and Jing had their eyes fixated on the screen while Sit was on the edge of his seat.
“No!”
It went in and Sit was on his feet screaming, “That’s what I’m talking about baby!”
Marv Albert was heard on TV, “The Lakers take a slender lead at 85 to 83. The Rockets missed another shot. That was McGrady and he’s fouled out now. The Lakers get two free throws and time has run out. There are only 18 seconds remaining.”
Lamar Odom made his first free throw but missed his second. Kwame Brown was composed and grabbed the rebound before he was fouled too.
“Kwame makes both free throws,” Albert said, “And the Lakers are up by 5 points with just 15.7 seconds left in the game and it looks safe from here unless a miracle happens. Rafer Alston misses a long trey and Kobe holds onto the basketball. And the Lakers are going to the NBA Finals!”

Meanwhile in Detroit, Vince Carter was watching the Lakers Rockets game in his hotel room.
“That’s going to be our next opponent right there,” he boasted to Jason Kidd.
One night later, the Nets lost 119 to 85 and Vince Carter was proven wrong.
Fresh8

Postby Marquis on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:59 pm

Great writings again man. But Detroit - Lakers final? Not as I was waiting for :x
Marquis

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:28 am

Third Round Wrap-up

Western Conference Finals

1 Houston Rockets v 2 Los Angeles Lakers -- A 20 point loss in Houston and trailing by double digits at halftime of Game 2 was enough to force Kobe Bryant to take action. Bryant showed why he was awarded MVP as he poured in a playoff high 36 points. All his points came in the second half as he took the Lakers from behind and got them the win and kept the series alive.

Kobe Bryant came back to the forefront of a Lakers revival in Game 3 and led the Lakers for just the second time this post season in scoring with 27 points. The Lakers made their way back to the NBA Finals with a stunning comeback after being down 11 points. Tracy McGrady was cold in the fourth quarter and Yao Ming didn’t get many chances as Houston buckled to LA’s defensive pressure.

- - -

Eastern Conference Finals

1 Detroit Pistons v 2 New Jersey Nets -- New Jersey shocked many with their 117-85 drubbing of the Detroit Pistons in the motor city and looked like they would close out the series in style at home. However, Detroit was resilient as ever and made the game look all too easy. Defense was the key as Detroit fought back after halftime in Game 2 and Rip Hamilton capped off a magical run to force overtime.

The Pistons proceeded to win Game 2 on the back of a strong 32 point effort from Rasheed Wallace. Game 3 was a blowout for Detroit as they dominated all over the court and ran away with an easy victory at home to Vince Carter’s dismay.

- - -

NBA Finals Preview

1 Detroit Pistons v 2 Los Angeles Lakers -- Pistons’ Guard Chauncey Billups has been confirmed to be injured and is said to be certain to be out of Games 1 and 2. If the series goes to Game 3, Billups could play but it is still unlikely.

The rematch of the 2004 NBA Finals will be exciting as Kobe gets a second shot at stopping the Pistons. This time with the MVP trophy under his belt, Kobe leads a less talented but more stable Lakers team against Detroit. Even though the Lakers have been unselfish all playoffs, it’s a no brainier that they outcome relies solely on Bryant’s play.

The Pistons will always be weary of Kobe’s magic but they will also need to get ready for a hot Lakers team. Luke Walton and Lamar Odom have stepped up all post season and Detroit will need to counter that. It isn’t going to be a walk in the park as LA is underrated by many in the NBA and its number two seed is theirs for a reason.

Detroit’s hard defense should be difficult to crack by LA but obviously, the Pistons lose their third best scorer in Billups who also happens to run the whole show. Chances are, the Pistons will win at home and LA will win in Game 2. That makes the series come down to Game 3 and with Billups coming back; his presence should help his team prevail.

Prediction: Detroit in 3
Fresh8

Postby pHLo on Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:24 am

aahhh fuck that!

i wanted to see VC in the finals :P

nice writing (Y)

pHLo

Postby Mark. on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:15 am

Nice chapter, once again im acting like an idiot when drunk. Im liking this finals match up, any of the possible matchups would have been great, T-Mac will get his time next season hopefully :P
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:30 pm

All looks amazing man, long time no see this one... school's killing me recently... I'm still deciding what team to use in 07.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
X-Men: The Animated Series ×
× Watched:
The Pigeon Tunnel (2023), Kindergarten Cop (1990), Arsène Wenger: Invincible (2021) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Jing on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:31 pm

lol so many odd jobs. one day i'll probably end up as CEO or president of the world
Jing

Postby funk99 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:25 pm

Hey sit, when am i gunna debut?
funk99

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:21 pm

Draft Order Finalised

New York (AP) -- The NBA lottery was undertaken last night at Madison Square Garden in New York and the 2006 draft order was determined.

The Washington Wizards got lucky as they were awarded the top Draft pick in the upcomming NBA Draft. The Top Five picks of the Draft went to the Wizards, Clippers, Jazz, Hornets and Bucks. The Minnesota Timberwolves will pick sixth and Charlotte Bobcats at seven.

It is expected that Washington will select Grant Galanov who could help with the Wizards' frontcourt. However, the small ammount of talented big men may force the Wizards to trade down to fulfill their own needs.

After the lottery, a representative of the Minnesota Timberwovles hinted at the chance that Washington and Minnesota may swap draft picks and include Kevin Garnett in a potential deal.
Fresh8

Postby The X on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:36 pm

all I can say is that I better be there on draft night, my favourite day of the year :P
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby pHLo on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:39 am

no KG swap ! :(

and damn... the wizards must have used magic...
as if they had a bad team anyway

man we need either Chara, Ty or that Ishito guy :x

pHLo

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame