Memphis Grizzlies Dynasty-Denver @ Memphis

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:26 am

ImageImage
Memphis @ Dallas
December 14, 1:00 PM
Grizzlies, 14-4; Mavericks, 14-6.

Midwest Showdown

The two top Midwest powers go at each other today

The Grizzlies are a perfect 6-0 in their division this season and won 9 of their last 10 games. Right now, all of those statistic don't matter because the Grizzlies have a huge task up against them in today's game against the Dallas Mavericks.

The Mavericks were on a 7 game winning streak until the Minnesota Timberwolves snapped it. One thing the Twolves did to stop the Mavericks was to play tight defense. "If you lock the Mavs up on the defensive end, and have a pretty good offensive night, they can't beat you because they have no defense," Grizzlies TV analyst Hershey Hawkins said. The Mavs had 7 players averaging double figures and Dirk Nowitzki is the leader with 23.2 ppg. Pau Gasol will be the one to guard Nowitzki in today's game. There shouldn't be no problem with Gasol going up against Nowitkzi on the offensive end because Dirk can't bring a defensive presence. Pau must focus on Nowitzki when he has the ball because Dirk can make a shot from anywhere on the floor.

With a better defensive unit, the Grizzlies may not have much trouble against the Mavs as they did last season. If the Grizzlies win this game, they will have some breathing room at the top of their division, so this game is very key for the team.

Probable Starters:
Mavericks
C-Pavel Podkolzine (8.2 RPG)
PF-Dirk Nowitzki- (23.2 PPG)
SF-Josh Howard- (1.3 SPG)
SG-Michael Finley- (14.5 PPG)
PG-Devin Harris- (4.1 APG)

Grizzlies
C-Erick Dampier- (1.9 BPG)
PF-Pau Gasol- (11.4 RPG)
SF-James Posey- (15.4 PPG)
SG-Ron Artest- (20.9 PPG)
PG-Jason Williams- (6.6 APG)

-Ronald Tillery: 555-5555
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:48 pm

The Streak Ends

The Mavericks snapped the Grizzlies winning streak in a thrilling game

By Ronald Tillery
December 15, 2004

ImageGrizzlies-108
ImageMavericks-117

Ron Artest and the Grizzlies could not find a way to stop the Mavs on the offensive end

During the Mavericks workout drill, Dirk Nowitzki was going around a pick, set by Pavel Podkolzine. After Nowitzki came down from shooting the shot, his left foot landing on Podklozine's foot and Nowitzki twisted his ankle. Nowitzki had the choice of playing in tonight's game or sitting out. He decided to sit out because he still felt pain in his ankle whenever he walked.

Antoine Walker started at the power forward spot as he took Nowitzki place. The injury that occured with Nowitzki, caused alot of conflict in the Grizzlies entire gameplan to stop Dirk. With Nowitzki on the bench, this left an open hole for Walker, Podkolzine and Finley to go off on the Grizzlies. Walker was the biggest factor as he scored 29 points and grabbed 5 rebounds, making up for the loss of Nowitzki. "He really came through big time for us. We never thought he would match the scoring of Nowitzki and it was like Dirk was in the game," Dallas coach Don Nelson said.

James Posey fouling Michael Finley of the Mavericks who ended up getting a 3 point play

Pau Gasol and Jason Williams were the biggest sparks in the game as Gasol led teh team with 24 points and 10 rebounds. Williams was the 2nd leading scorer with 21 points and 8 assists. "This just was a game where the other team had more scorers and they outplayed us," Dampier said.

The mismatch of Pau Gasol vs. Antoine Walker gave the Mavericks an advantage because Walker was able to take Gasol out on the perimeter and force him to play defense on the perimeter. That left Dampier under the goal by himself with Podkolzine. There was no stopping Pavel as he scored 19 points in the game and shot 60% from the field.

The Grizzlies have another tough game coming up against the Minnesota Timberwolves who snapped the Mavericks winning streak a few days ago. The Grizzlies will have to get back on track after yesterday's loss.

Player Stats:
Mavericks
A. Walker-29 pts, 5 rebs
P. Podkolzine-19 pts, 9 rebs
M. Finley-18 pts, 7 rebs
D. Harris-15 pts, 4 asts
J. Stackhouse-11 pts
J. Howard-10 pts, 7 rebs, 2 stls

Grizzlies
P. Gasol-24 pts, 10 rebs, 2 blks
J. Williams-21 pts, 8 asts, 2 stls
J. Posey-18 pts, 8 rebs, 2 stls
R. Artest-16 pts, 8 rebs, 2 stls
S. Swift-10 pts, 5 rebs
E. Dampier-9 pts, 9 rebs, 2 blks
M. Miller-7 pts

Last edited by -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby Jing on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:09 am

well... maybe a lose here, then you will set off on a new streak
Jing

Postby ntw on Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:53 am

sweet dynasty mafia...

you should trade for KVH to make it interesting ;-)
ntw

Postby HonorGlow on Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:17 am

Sorry about your winning streak being snapped, SbHZmAFiA. Dallas always gave me fits as some may know. Are you playing a 28 game season?

Just wondering if your 14-5 record means that your past your midseason...of course, so I can ask for your pstat file!

- Honor Glow
HonorGlow

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:34 pm

HonorGlow wrote:Sorry about your winning streak being snapped, SbHZmAFiA. Dallas always gave me fits as some may know. Are you playing a 28 game season?

Just wondering if your 14-5 record means that your past your midseason...of course, so I can ask for your pstat file!

- Honor Glow

Naw, I'm playin an 82 game season so I have about 20 more games to go.
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby Micchy_boy on Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm

bro i got 2 for you pls tell me if its okey or not. i put it on other thread so it won't affect your dynasty.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~nbalive/ph ... 096#192096
Micchy's Lakers Dynasty l 2nd Season w/ NLSC BALLERS l
Micchy_boy

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:33 am

I have some good news and some bad news...The good news is I'm going to play about 3-4 games today for on my dynasty, the bad news is that I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish before Live 05 comes out. Maybe or may not. Hopefully I can though.
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby NNpF on Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:46 am

Thats alright man. I'm playing an 82 game season and I've only played 2 games so far :D. I will get as far as I can then maybe in early October I'll just sim to the playoffs. But this has been a great dynasty wheter you finish or not, I'm looking forward to your '05 dynasty and looking forward to starting one myself.
NNpF

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:24 am

ImageImage
Minnesota @ Memphis
December 16, 7:30 PM
Timberwolves, 13-8; Grizzlies, 14-5.

Teams Becoming Tougher

The Grizzlies have another tough team to play tonight.

By Ronald Tillery
December 16, 2004

The Grizzlies are up against the reigning MVP, Kevin Garnett and his Minnesota Timberwolves. The Twolves are 3rd in the Midwest division behind the Grizzlies and Mavs. The Twolves were able to knock off the Dallas Mavericks who beat the Grizzlies.

Garnett has continued to impress people with his stats. He averagesd 24.3ppg, 13.7rpg and 4.6apg this season. "He is very tough to guard and he can also hit the big shot when he has to," Pau Gasol said. Garnett is in the running for another MVP title this season.

The Grizzlies are coming off al ost to the Dallas Mavericks who ended their winning streak of 8 games. This is ag ame where the Grizzlies can regain their composure. "We have another tough team to face tonight, but that doesn't mean we aren't going to let them run over us. We will give them a fight and if they come out with the win, they will know how hard it was to earn it," Posey said. The Grizzlies are 6-1 in division play while the Twolves are 3-1.

Key Matchup:
Kevin Garnett vs. Pau Gasol

Garnett is an idol to Gasol and these two have been at each other since Gasol's rookie year in Memphis. Pau has stepped his play up this season is a potential all-star canidate. He must force Garnett to get his other team involved and keep him from grabbing alot of rebounds.

Probable Starters:
Timberwolves
C-Michael Olowokandi- (1.4 BPG)
PF-Kevin Garnett- (13.7 RPG)
SF-Latrell Spreewell- (17.4 PPG)
SG-Trenton Hassell- (1.7 SPG)
PG-Sam Cassell- (5.7 APG)

Grizzlies
PF-Pau Gasol- (11.4 RPG)
SF-James Posey- (15.5 PPG)
SG-Ron Artest- (20.7 PPG)
PG-Jason Williams- (6.6 APG)

-BHZMAFIA-

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:44 am

Last Second HeartBreaker

Memphis has lost 2 straight games after winning 8 straight

By Ronald Tillery
December 17, 2004

ImageTimberwolves-91
ImageGrizzlies-88

Garnett had a monsterous game against the Grizzlies last night

Kevin Garnett was unstoppable in last night's game as he turn his play up a notch. There was nothing in his way that could stop him from scoring or getting rebounds. He led all scorers with 31 points, 14 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 blocks. The Grizzlies were only able to get 3 players into double figures.

The Grizzlies shot a low percentage from the field and the only bright spot the Grizzlies had was Pau Gasol who scored led the Grizzlies with 24 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks. "This was a game where we should've won, but at the end, we made some key mistakes that took us out of the game," Asst. Coach Tony Barone said.

In the 4th quarter, the game was tied up at 88-88 with 27 seconds left on the clock. The Timberwolves had the ball, with the shot clock running down. Garnett set a pick for Spreewell who came around the pick only to be met by James Posey. Spreewell quickly gave the ball to a wide open Cassell in the corner to knock down the 3 point shot with 19.4 seconds remaining in the game.

Andre Emmett's shot was off the mark and the Grizzlies ended up losing 91-88

The Grizzlies called a timeout to advance the ball up the court. None of the Grizzlies starting swingmen were having a good game, so Mike Miller replaced Artest in the game and rookie Andre Emmett to replace Posey. Williams inbounded the ball to Gasol at the top of the key. He held on to the ball for a while to let some time run out. With 9 seconds remaining he passed the ball to Mike Miller who decided not to shoot the game tying 3 pointer and gave it to Emmett who had a better look. Emmett was shot a leaning 3 point shot over Hassell with the time running out and it rolled off the rim.

"This was a winnable game for us, but we just didn't play well down the stretch. Hopefully this game won't let our spirits down as a team and we can play a better match against the Lakers tomorrow night," Posey said.

Player Stats:
Grizzlies
R. Artest-14 pts, 9 rebs, 4 asts
P. Gasol-24 pts, 9 rebs, 2 blks
J. Posey-9 pts, 6 rebs, 1 stl
J. Williams-5 pts, 7 asts
M. Miller-7 pts
S. Swift-14 pts, 3 rebs

Timberwolves
K. Garnett-31 pts, 14 rebs, 2 blks, 5 asts
L. Spreewell-12 pts, 6 rebs, 5 asts
S. Cassell-17 pts, 6 asts
M. Olowokandi-6 pts, 9 rebs
W. Szczerbiak-5 pts
T. Hassell-7 pts

-BHZMAFIA-

Postby kevC on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:06 am

Wait, Miller passed to Emmett with a better look but he had to shoot a leaning 3 pter?? :?
I slip away
I slipped on a little white lie
We've got heads on sticks, You've got ventriloquists
Standing in the shadows at the end of my bed
kevC

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:15 am

dotorg kevC wrote:Wait, Miller passed to Emmett with a better look but he had to shoot a leaning 3 pter?? :?

Well Miller was guarded tighter and didn't have any space to shoot or it would've been blocked
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:23 am

ImageImage
Memphis @ Lakers
December 17, 7:00 PM
Grizzlies, 14-6; Lakers, 12-10.

SHAQ-less Lakers

The Grizzlies are looking to regain their winning spirits against the Lakers

The Lakers have done fairly well without the "Big Aristrole" AKA Shaquille O'neal. After 22 games, Kobe has led his Lakers to a 12-10 record and are in the hunt for the playoffs. Kobe Bryant hasn't been a ballhog like most people thought, he is avergaing 22.7 ppg and 5.3 apg. Players like Lamar Odom, Gary Payton and Caron Butler have stepped up to keep the Lakers in playoff contention.

The Grizzlies want this game verybad. After losing 2 straight, they haven't been very happy. Last night, they lost a heartbreaker to the Twolves losing 91-88 in the final seconds of the game. The Grizzlies only had 2 starters in double figures and Swift was the lonely player off the bench to reach double figures.

"We must improve our defense and offense. We aren't a perfect team and we proved that by losing to two of the top teams in the West," Coach Hubie Brown said.

The Grizzlies are playing 7 straight Western Conference teams in 7 nights, which started against the Dallas Mavericks. They are 0-2 so far during the stretch.

Key Matchup:
Ron Artest vs. Kobe Bryant
Artest loves when he has a tough challenge ahead of him like Kobe Bryant. Kobe is one of the toughest players to guard in the entire league. Artest will have to stay in his face for most of teh game and the Grizzlies will try to run Kobe out of gas by doing alot of running.

Probable Starters:
Lakers
C-Brian Grant- (9. RPG)
PF-Lamar Odom- (19.3 PPG)
SF-Caron Butler- (1.4 SPG)
SG-Kobe Bryant- (22.7 PPG)
PG-Gary Payton- (7.5 APG)

Grizzlies
PF-Pau Gasol- (11.3 RPG)
SF-James Posey- (15.2 PPG)
SG-Ron Artest- (20.4 PPG)
PG-Jason Williams- (6.7 APG)

-BHZMAFIA-

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:36 am

Grizz Slaughter the Lakers in Hollywood

The Grizzlies answered the challenge of their coach

By Ronald Tillery
December 18, 2004

ImageGrizzlies-87
ImageLakers-68

This dunk was one of the few easy points Kobe had last night as Artest held him to 15 points

The defense was there. The offense was kind of there. The Grizzlies put on a defensive performance last night against the LA Lakers, holding them under 70 points in the game.

The best player in that game was Ron Artest, who held former MVP canidate Kobe Bryant to 15 points, while he scored 23 points. "It was something I was looking forward to. I was ready to guard him and I wasn't going to give him any room to get easy shots," Artest said.

He kept his word, and the other Grizzlies players responded to the call of Hubie Brown when he said, "We need to improved our defense and offense." The Grizzlies scored 87 points on offense, but still that really didn't matter in a low scoring game. "We did what we had to do in this game. The game was a little slow paced, but we forced the Lakers to committ turnovers and to shoot a low percentage from the field," Brown said.

Gary Payton wasn't able to keep up with Jwill on defense, but Williams didn't have a great night shooting

Gary Payton was one of the few bright spots for the Lakers as he led the team with 17 points and 8 assists. "This was a game where we could've won, but the other team just outplayed us, plain and simple," Payton explained.

The Grizzlies are now out of the losing column after losing 2 straight games. They will continue their Western trip tomorrow against the Denver Nuggets.

Player Stats:
Lakers
K. Bryant-15 pts, 9 rebs, 4 asts
L. Odom-12 pts,9 rebs
G. Payton-17 pts, 8 rebs
C. Butler-5 pts
K. Malone-6 pts, 5 rebs
B. Grant-8 pts, 9 rebs

Grizzlies
R. Artest=23 pts, 7 rebs, 2 stls
P. Gasol-16 pts, 9 rebs, 2 blks
J. Posey-4 pts, 8 rebs, 2 stls
J. Williams-7 pts, 7 asts
E. Dampier-9 pts, 8 rebs
M. Miller-6 pts
S. Swift-16 pts, 5 rebs

Last edited by -BHZMAFIA- on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby NNpF on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:44 am

Man, how do you get these done so fast. It feels like just 5 minutes ago you finished your previous game and already your done another one. I wish I could do that :x. Great win against the Lakers, needed that one.
NNpF

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:09 am

-|NN|-[pF]- wrote:Man, how do you get these done so fast. It feels like just 5 minutes ago you finished your previous game and already your done another one. I wish I could do that :x. Great win against the Lakers, needed that one.

I like play the games beforehand then whenever I have time, I update them.
-BHZMAFIA-

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:43 am

ImageImage
Denver @ Memphis
December 16, 7:30 PM
Nuggets, 12-12; Grizzlies, 15-6.

Depth At Its Finest

Memphis and Denver have very deep teams who like to run the ball

By Ronald Tillery
December 18, 2004

It's 7 days before Christmas and the Grizzlies want to give their fans something special. There will be a special ceremony tonight after the Grizzlies vs. Nuggets game where it would be Fan Appreciation Night. The Grizzlie players will give out toys to the little kids and sign autographs. They will also pass out free Nike and Reebok shoes and 5 lucky fans will recieve a chance to go to a Grizzlies practice and interact with the players and coaches. "This will be a nice treat for all the fans that come out and support us," Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley siad.

The Nuggets will come inside the FedExForum on this special night to face the Grizzlies. The Nuggets are one of the few teams that can match the same amount of depth the Grizzlies have and play with the same intensity through 48 minutes. Denver has a solid bench who can just about outscore any other teams bench. Denver is led by 2nd year player Carmelo Anthony who is averaging 19.9 ppg, 6.6 rpg and 4.1 apg. Despite the Nuggets being a deep team, they have sturggled in their last 10 games with a 5-5 record and hold a 12-12 overall record. This is due to the fact that newcomer Kenyon Martin was out for 7 games with an injury. He is back, and the Nuggets are looking to get back on track.

Key Matchup:
Kenyon Martin vs. Pau Gasol
The point of this matchup is to see how well Marin will holdup tonight against Gasol. He is coming back from an injury, while Gasol is playing all-star caliber basketball.

Nuggets
C-Marcus Camby- (9.2 RPG)
PF-Kenyon Martin- (1.6 BPG)
SF-Carmelo Anthony- (19.9 PPG)
SG-Voshon Lenard- (14.5 PPG)
PG-Andre Miller- (4.9 APG)

Grizzlies
C-Erick Dampier- (10.7 RPG)
PF-Pau Gasol- (19.0 PPG)
SF-James Posey- (1.4 SPG)
SG-Ron Artest- (20.5 PPG)
PG-Jason Williams- (6.7 APG)

-BHZMAFIA-

Postby -BHZMAFIA- on Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:07 pm

Fan Appreciation Night Was Exciting

After an exciting game, the fans had alot to celebrate last night

By Ronald Tillery
December 19, 2004

ImageNuggets-107
ImageGrizzlies-111

Posey had a hard time with Carmelo last night, but the Grizzlies had enough energy to finish the Nuggets off

There was plenty of energy in the building last night, which was a plus factor for the Grizzlies. The fans made a difference in last night's game and it caused problems for the Nuggets during crunchtime. Denver was able to make mistake after mistake with under 2 minutes remaining in the game, while the Grizzlies connected on almost every single play.

The play of Erick Dampier was tremendous as he led the Grizzlies with 26 points and 9 rebounds. "His inside presence made a huge difference in the game and this is the main reason why we put him on this team. Camby couldn't handle him late in the game and Dampier did all the hardwork inside for us on defense," Assistant Tony Barone said.

Kenyon Martin didn't slow down from his previous injury and was abloe to post 16 points and 10 rebounds in the Nuggets 107-111 lost

The matchup between Pau Gasol and Kenyon Martin went pretty even as Gasol was teh Grizzlies 2nd leading scorer with 18 points, 11 rebounds and 2 blocks. Martin wasn't playing during crunchtime because he needed to rest from his calf injury. "I felt a little pain late in the game and at first I was trying to walk it off, then I started to feel alot of sharp pain and I had to sit down," Martin said.

This allowed Gasol to take advantage of Nene on the inside as he had the height advantage over him. Stromile Swift came up big for the Grizzlies once again off the bench and has been averaging double figures off the bench. Swift scored 13 points in the game and Mike Miller was the Grizzlies 2nd leading scorer off the bench with 9 points.

Carmelo Anthony was hard to matchup against last night as he went for 31 points in the game. His midrange jumpshot wasn't going to miss and he kept going to the same spot. Later on, he switched up and start going to the post where he did even more damage to the Grizzlies. He ended up being in foul trouble late in the game with 5 fouls. He was forced to play off of James Posey which gave the Grizzlies an advantage.

The Grizzlies are now 2-2 on their Western Conference swing and will face the Sacramento Kings tomorrow night at Arco Arena.

Player Stats:
Grizzlies
R. Artest-16 pts, 5 rebs
P. Gasol-18 pts, 11 rebs, 2 blks
J. Posey-13 pts, 6 rebs
J. Williams-12 pts, 4 asts
E. Dampier-26 pts, 9 rebs
M. Miller-9 pts
S. Swift-13 pts, 3 rebs

Nuggets
C. Anthony-31 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts
V. Lenard-21 pts
A. Miller-6 pts, 5 asts
M. Camby-15 pts, 9 rebs
K. Martin-16 pts, 10 rebs
E. Boykins-6 pts, 4 asts

-BHZMAFIA-

Postby Incubus on Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:03 pm

Cool. Can`t wait it to go on.
Incubus

Re: Memphis Grizzlies Dynasty-Denver @ Memphis

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:12 am

Moved from Hardwood Classics and Inducted November 21st, 2008.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame