NBA Live 09 will not be released for the PC

Talk about NBA Live 09 here.

Postby jamezyap on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:41 pm

yeah this is really sad news, :( EA money face!!! F!@K you!!!!! oh well..
lets just all use nba live 08 on PC and make more and more patches for it.. :D
UNITED we stand, DIVIDED we fall.
jamezyap

Postby dhs122 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Has anyone thought about writing a petition?
dhs122

Postby thaKEAF on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Meh. Live hasn't been good in years. The last one that was half way decent was 2006. They've managed to run the franchise in the ground every year. 2k is way better so this doesn't bother me at all.
thaKEAF

Postby .jrmagic on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:05 am

Found 2k on PC, I'll buy it. Is it even on the PC? :?
But I don't care about 09 because I wasn't gonna buy another game. I gotta enough. :D

Sig not stolen from ~Nooba~
.jrmagic

Postby sarella on Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:56 am

AirJordan360 wrote:Found 2k on PC, I'll buy it. Is it even on the PC? :?
But I don't care about 09 because I wasn't gonna buy another game. I gotta enough. :D

2K is only for consoles!!

And i start thinking, ea wants us to buy consoles and their games. But why should i buy Live if i can buy 2K ?
sarella

Postby Jing on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:01 am

There isn't 2k on PC, though this gives more incentive to buy nextgen. Live was going downhill since like 05 or 06 anyways.

A bit shocking though, that the majority of what this place stands for will be gone.
Jing

Postby Leander on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:21 am

I don't care if there will be a new Live or not. Games are not that important. Just play Live 2005 like me.

Besides, the software market will react to EA's decision not to release Live 09. Maybe other companies will develop NBA games.

And I can't understand those saying "f*ck EA". The thing is: it is all about money. It is obvious that a company will not deliberately make less money than possible just to please people.

If you were EA you wouldn't act differently. Software business is tough. It is company vs. company. And such big companies cannot afford creating games with nostalgia, friendship, idealism etc.

Sounds bad but that's how it is. This is reality.
Even if I loved to buy Live 09 I wouldn't react like many people here who curse EA.

EA belongs to EA. It is their company. They can decide what to release and YOU can decide what to buy. To me it is just a matter of decisions without emotions like crying and hating.

An example: Metallica's fans got upset when they released Load and Reload. I didn't care either. Even if one of my favourite bands changed their style from metal to techno I would not care. It is their band and they can do whatever they want with THEIR band.

When I was younger I did not react like I do now but well...once you're getting older you know that there are more important things in life than new computer games. :)
Leander

Postby GoHornets on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:41 am

Im agree with that
GoHornets

Postby .jrmagic on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:42 am

sarella wrote:
AirJordan360 wrote:Found 2k on PC, I'll buy it. Is it even on the PC? :?

2K is only for consoles!!

And i start thinking, ea wants us to buy consoles and their games. But why should i buy Live if i can buy 2K ?

I don't want to buy a console just for that. But I played 08 on 360, it was awesome. But if anyone wants to buy a console, buy a used one. I guess it's time to go back to Madden 07, and the other 07 games. :cry:

.jrmagic

Postby .jrmagic on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:58 am

Leander wrote:I don't care if there will be a new Live or not. Games are not that important. Just play Live 2005 like me.

Besides, the software market will react to EA's decision not to release Live 09. Maybe other companies will develop NBA games.

And I can't understand those saying "f*ck EA". The thing is: it is all about money. It is obvious that a company will not deliberately make less money than possible just to please people.

If you were EA you wouldn't act differently. Software business is tough. It is company vs. company. And such big companies cannot afford creating games with nostalgia, friendship, idealism etc.

Sounds bad but that's how it is. This is reality.
Even if I loved to buy Live 09 I wouldn't react like many people here who curse EA.

EA belongs to EA. It is their company. They can decide what to release and YOU can decide what to buy. To me it is just a matter of decisions without emotions like crying and hating.

An example: Metallica's fans got upset when they released Load and Reload. I didn't care either. Even if one of my favourite bands changed their style from metal to techno I would not care. It is their band and they can do whatever they want with THEIR band.

When I was younger I did not react like I do now but well...once you're getting older you know that there are more important things in life than new computer games. :)

-Leander.

Amazing words Leander.

What I don't get, is why so many people want the next game. Does that mean you buy a 30 buck game and you only use it for a year?
People shouldn't keep buying the the next game. Wait a few years, then buy NBA Live 2011. Think to yourself I can't wait for it. I've waited 3 years!!! Then buy it. Also, some older games could be better than newer ones. Like 07, and 08. (By looking, I found out people like 07 better than 08) It's all chance. Will it be good or not. I hope people stop cussing and swearing about EA. Leander is right. EA wants money. That's it. I'm sure all of us want money. So all of us would do the same thing. (I know I'm kinda copying Leander, but it's the truth) And please don't post things like petitions or stuff like that. No good will come out of it. There is nothing more to say on this topic. Thank you all for posting.
(Hope I don't sound like a jerk :oops:)

.jrmagic

Postby Leander on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:13 am

A PC game is about 45€ here. A PS3 game is about 60€ here. Games are much more expensive than in the US.

Well, a PS3 game runs well on a PS3 as it is designed for it. Coding a PC game that runs on a high number of PCs is more difficult. Console games are on the rise and the PS3 is hyped now. Games can be sold at higher prices and sales don't go down due to piracy. Don't know if it is possible to burn Xbox360 and PS3 games but it is the truth that you can get almost every game for PC illegally. The companies lose a certain amount of money due to file sharing, torrents etc.
Consoles are more on the safe side and coders don't have to worry about bugs and patches.

PC-gamers have different operating systems, different DVD-roms, processors, sound cards, graphic cards...hundreds of combinations are possible and it is really difficult to code a game that runs well on each system. It is WinXP vs. Vista, ATI vs. NVIDIA....some soundcards aren't that compatible with games and can cause crashes...

Well, what about consoles? You insert the disc and there you go. No problems with the hardware, no 1000s of aspects that can cause a crash.
Leander

Postby .jrmagic on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:54 am

Yeah, but like you said, more money for games. And money doesn't grow on trees. Why can't people just enjoy 08 for another year? And I wonder if even half you do anything else, than just play on the computer. Again, sorry if I sound like a jerk, it's just my opinion.

.jrmagic

Postby Leander on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:15 am

People would be fooled anyway. Do you remember a really good Live? 2000 was great. Cutscenes, animations, realism. No patch was needed. It was great.

Each Live is said to have improved. Better graphics, new features. The features are good...or not liked by the community. Some new things are added, some missing things are included BUT others are left out or forgotten. A part of the game is better, another part is worse than the year before.

I really, really think that mistakes are deliberately included. Features are deliberately "forgotten". No, there won't be a great Live, there won't be a near-perfect game. A new game should attract new fans, new players...with new features that sound sooo cool and should make you go woooow. Other things are left out or worsened...a game should have its annoying sides...why?

The community should get annoyed, should write a wish list...hope for the next Live and buy it.

Live was released each year. You simply cannot improve a basketball game in some months that much so it is better than the previous version and worth a full new game. It's basketball, people. You can't add a totally new feature, such as building your basketball center with lego bricks or whatever.

Basketball is about teams and players. About season, playoffs, draft and the Allstar weekend. It would be damn possible to release a perfect Live.

Take Live 2005...add features from other games of the series...add good AI, add next-gen graphics. All this can be done. In 2009 the perfect Live could be released.

But there would be NO NEED for a Live 2010, 2011 etc.
Graphics could still be improved each year but you couldn't sell slightly better graphics for 45€.

That's why features are left out...bugs are not solved...there must be reasons that make people buy the new Live again and again...

Personally, I never liked the attitude of people....buying a game, playing it some months, buying the next of the series.
I want to play a dynasty. Even if I play a short season with 29 games...and I play two games per week on average...I can only play three seasons of my dynasty till the next Live comes out. I want to play more...so why should I buy the new Live?

I want to stick to a good game and play it. Not just try it, dunk around and buy the next game.

And no, I cannot play a game per day as I also like other games...and have something called LIFE with a job, a girlfriend, a family, friends, other hobbies.

It took me three years to finish my five-year, 29-games dynasty. Sometimes I played two games a day. Then I didn't play one single game for many months.

Well, anyway.

Live is just Live.
And Life is Life.
And Life is live.

:D

Hehe...sorry but I just typed what came to my mind.
Leander

Postby .jrmagic on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:39 am

He and I are right, I think.
Heh, life is live, and live is life.
heh, very, um, creative.

But once again, Mods should lock this. I'm getting tired of posting again and again.
Leander and I are the only ones who don't care.
WE RULE!!!! :lol:

.jrmagic

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Does that mean you buy a 30 buck game and you only use it for a year?

I want to stick to a good game and play it. Not just try it, dunk around and buy the next game.

Not many games truly stand the test of time. That doesn't work for EA since they release these games annually. Like you said, they want money. If you are satisified with the game you have, great. EA still wants you to buy the new game. Like you said, EA could be deliberately leaving things out to make sure people aren't completely satisified so they will buy the new game, try the new features, etc.

Consoles are more on the safe side and coders don't have to worry about bugs and patches.

Both EA Sports and 2KSports released patches for their NBA releases. Bugs still plague the games.

What I don't get, is why so many people want the next game.

Because after 07, nobody thought that 08 could actually be worse.

I want to play a dynasty. Even if I play a short season with 29 games...and I play two games per week on average...I can only play three seasons of my dynasty till the next Live comes out. I want to play more...so why should I buy the new Live?

Dynasty mode isn't just about playing the games, that's why there is Simulation Intervention and Sim Scenario's. So you can try to build your dynasty through multiple seasons without having to worry about playing each and every game.

And no, I cannot play a game per day as I also like other games...and have something called LIFE with a job, a girlfriend, a family, friends, other hobbies.

So do we, yet we are more passionate about the Live series.

I'm getting tired of posting again and again.

We're all tired of that, too.

You guys are sending the wrong impression. The impression of not caring. We care, and I really want to delete your posts just incase some EA rep reads your posts and gets the wrong idea about this community.

If you are happy with the games you are playing, then be happy and play them. You don't have to discourage others who are passionate about the game on the PC platform and angry at EA's decision to cancel 09. Atleast in 2001, the community was asked if EA should skip the release of 2001, or release it later. We wanted our 2001, and got it in February.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Leander on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:21 pm

I don't want to discourage others. We all can play and like what we want.

My postings were just my 2 cents. Just my opinion. I can have mine, you can have yours. That's freedom of speech. :)

And no, I don't think it is good when you want to delete my posts.
Do you really think that EA prefers "f*ck EA, I hate EA" etc. over constructive criticism? I doubt it. And I'm also sure criticism and a list of things I don't like rather makes EA think about releasing other Lives than just people cursing the company and using swear words. ;)
Leander

Postby cj_miranda23 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:31 pm

now that there is no nba 09 on pc , SIR andrew, do you think we could just ask them for a patch for 08

1. patch to fixed the bugs(subtituiton, sim engine, gameplay etc.)
2. patch to update the roster for the next season of the NBA( rookies, new players signed, speech ID for these players etc...)

what do you think sir ANDREW? and to those other members of this community??
cj_miranda23

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:30 pm

Do you really think that EA prefers "f*ck EA, I hate EA" etc. over constructive criticism?

It's about what us gamers prefer, not what EA prefers. That's why there are surveys, questionnaires, wishlists. How does a list of things we don't like a game cause any effect when they don't even release one? People don't normally just go "f*** EA" all the time. They get over it when a game is bad and find a better game to play. That's usually after an actual release, though.

It was nothing personal, I assure you.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sportsgamer on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Pdub is right. I defended EA a lot of times when arguing with friends, but now....
This is not fair. Here many guys making the game better without getting paid for it and does (nearly)nothin while making money
Sportsgamer

Postby Leander on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:30 am

Pdub wrote:It was nothing personal, I assure you.

Same here. :)
Leander

Postby .jrmagic on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:37 am

Please Pdub, lock this.
There is nothing more to discuss.

And Leander, 5 more posts, and you get a custom title. (Y)

.jrmagic

Postby JaoSming on Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:32 am

we'd rather have everyone cry bitch moan about this announcement in this tread rather than make their own threads about it.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Donatello on Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:49 am

AirJordan360 wrote:Please Pdub, lock this.
There is nothing more to discuss.

And Leander, 5 more posts, and you get a custom title. (Y)

Demanding something out of the moderation/administration team after they have already replied directly to you on the subject is a bad idea.

To respond directly to the subject of this thread: It makes me sad. Even though the latest PC edition that I own is "06" (I bought PC 07 but promptly returned it).

Anticipation of the new year's release has always been one of the best things in this community (in my opinion). With PC patching/conversation making up such a large bulk of the conversation here, this is definitely going to change things.

Notice I said 'change', not 'ruin'. Patchers will still patch, there just probably (definitely?) won't be as many of them, and they won't be doing as much... and it will be for an old game. :) Life goes on, but it still sucks.
Donatello
Dongatello

Postby .jrmagic on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:02 am

Sorry :oops:

.jrmagic

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:17 am

I'm still disappointed in the news as I was hoping we'd be getting a 360/PS3 port this year but if NBA Live 09 PC was going to be a similar product to NBA Live 08 PC then maybe it wouldn't have been worth releasing anyway. That said, I would still prefer a PC version to work with but since we won't have one, we as a community can look at continuing to update the most desirable of the recent releases so that we PC gamers have an alternative while continuing to stress our desire for future releases on the PC.

The best case scenario is that this is just a hiatus and not the end of NBA Live being released on the PC. If it is a situation similar to NBA Live 2002 then hopefully the next PC release is the product we've been waiting for. At this point things seem to be up in the air, if I happen to get any more info I'll be sure to post it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 09