NBA 2k9 Sliders thread

Talk about NBA 2K9 here, as well as all previous games in the NBA 2K series.

Postby Playmakers on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:43 pm

TC#10 wrote:
nicosantos76 wrote:
TC#10 wrote:Guys in my game, the CPU seem to wait till the end of the shot clock to shoot most of the time (5secs left then shoot), is there a way to make the cpu shoot earlier in the shot clock instead always shooting late?

Have you played vs teams like Phoenix Suns?? Cause they shouldn't.

Each team has its own tempo, maybe you've been facing downtempo teams. Each team has its own sliders by the way and you can edit the offensive tempo, rebound charging tendency, etc... :wink:

I played against the Detroit Pistons, 3 out of 4 processions they have shot the ball at the end of the shot clock. I don't want to go thru each team's playbook and alter their tempo, is there anywhere in the sliders under gameplay i can alter to make each team run their offense a lil faster instead of them waiting till the end of the shot clock to shoot?

Yeah the Game Speed slider

Not too many people agree with a faster tempo but it's a fact in the NBA the game is faster than people may realize from end to end.

If you go under coaching setting and avg out the tempo of all 30 teams you'll see it comes out to (59.5) which is actually faster than the Default Speed setting of 50 out of the box. I prefer to slow down the players and use the Game Speed slider to duplicate the speed of an NBA game.
Now Playing

Madden 10/NCAA Football 10

Currently working on NCAA Football 10 Alumni Rosters
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... sters.html
Playmakers

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:17 am

I agree. If you look at the speed of the ball during passes and the jumpshots, it is too slow with the game speed slider at 50. I think somewhere between 60 and 70 is good. I personally have both game speed and player speed at 75 because I play at 9 minute quarters. It's a bit fast for most, but it provides me with some pretty realistic results.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby nicosantos76 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 am

Pdub wrote:I agree. If you look at the speed of the ball during passes and the jumpshots, it is too slow with the game speed slider at 50. I think somewhere between 60 and 70 is good. I personally have both game speed and player speed at 75 because I play at 9 minute quarters. It's a bit fast for most, but it provides me with some pretty realistic results.

If you increase game speed and player speed in the same proportion you don't fix the problem of the ball speed being relatively slow compared to player's speed.

If you're playing 9 min quarters (I do and I get realistic results without changing anything) increase game speed to maximum if you want but keep the player's speed at 50 to make passing matter.

Playmaker, your sliders are getting better and better. Increase strenght to 100 was a great decision, dude. The game plays much better now. However, I would like to make CPU defense harder as I'm shooting well over 50% with Pistons and Magic (yes, I'm playing them both). Most of my points are layups or inside shots but I don't want to reduce the Inside Shot % even more than 40 as they start to miss unbelievable shots under the basket. What would you suggest??
nicosantos76

Postby TC#10 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 am

Is there anyway i can adjust the game sliders to make teams use their superstars more often, so that the Lebrons, Wades, Kobes get more FGA than any other player on his team?
Official NBA 2K9 PC Version Appreciation Thread: http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197649
TC NBA 2K9 PRO Gameplay Sliders for the PC Thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... rs-pc.html
Ways to make CPU Superstars & PGs to be more Dominant: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=63361
TC#10

Postby Playmakers on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:16 pm

TC#10 wrote:Is there anyway i can adjust the game sliders to make teams use their superstars more often, so that the Lebrons, Wades, Kobes get more FGA than any other player on his team?

I don't think that has any effect on the star players taking more shots. it might have to be through editing players tendencies. I haven't really experimented with the ratings in 2K9.

But I don't think there is a slider that effects specific player FGA's
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby Playmakers on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:22 pm

nicosantos76 wrote:
Pdub wrote:I agree. If you look at the speed of the ball during passes and the jumpshots, it is too slow with the game speed slider at 50. I think somewhere between 60 and 70 is good. I personally have both game speed and player speed at 75 because I play at 9 minute quarters. It's a bit fast for most, but it provides me with some pretty realistic results.

If you increase game speed and player speed in the same proportion you don't fix the problem of the ball speed being relatively slow compared to player's speed.

If you're playing 9 min quarters (I do and I get realistic results without changing anything) increase game speed to maximum if you want but keep the player's speed at 50 to make passing matter.

Playmaker, your sliders are getting better and better. Increase strenght to 100 was a great decision, dude. The game plays much better now. However, I would like to make CPU defense harder as I'm shooting well over 50% with Pistons and Magic (yes, I'm playing them both). Most of my points are layups or inside shots but I don't want to reduce the Inside Shot % even more than 40 as they start to miss unbelievable shots under the basket. What would you suggest??

I lowered the player speed and quickness to make them feel more grounded (reduce sliding) might not work for everyone using that style because it slows down the players but then I used the game speed slider to keep the game pace up.

For CPU defense these sliders might help out if you increase them higher

Help Side Defense
On Ball Defense
Contest Shots

Also, if your getting too many layups but don't want to lower Close Shot Success then you can lower Layup Success to around 40-42.

I only get to play about 1-2 games per week but IMO this years 2K game is the best B-ball game I've ever played. I absolutely love the animations in this game they are so life like it's scary.
Last edited by Playmakers on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby TC#10 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey Playmaker, just wanna say thanks for all ur input, it has made my game so much better to play now.

I have a question tho, do you know how to increase the number of mid-range jumpers in the game? No matter what sliders I change there seems to be a lot of either 3pt shots or inside (lay-ups) shots. Thanks in advance
Official NBA 2K9 PC Version Appreciation Thread: http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197649
TC NBA 2K9 PRO Gameplay Sliders for the PC Thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... rs-pc.html
Ways to make CPU Superstars & PGs to be more Dominant: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=63361
TC#10

Postby Playmakers on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:51 pm

TC#10 wrote:Hey Playmaker, just wanna say thanks for all ur input, it has made my game so much better to play now.

I have a question tho, do you know how to increase the number of mid-range jumpers in the game? No matter what sliders I change there seems to be a lot of either 3pt shots or inside (lay-ups) shots. Thanks in advance

Increase Takes Mid Range Shot to 80
Decrease Takes 3-PT Shot to 35
Decrease Takes Close Shot to 35......I don't really like lowering it below 40 because CPU starts doing some weird stuff inside the paint like acting scared to shoot even if the shot is there

Leave Looks For Post Player at 50.......Kinda makes them work the inside out game better. Meaning they'll look into the post to start the offense but with take close shots reduced down they'll kick it back out a little more often.
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby TC#10 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:06 pm

Cool, I'll give it a shot Playmaker, also I heard that increasing the Mid-Range Success slider will increase the number of mid-range shots taken. Is that true?
TC#10

Postby Playmakers on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:05 am

TC#10 wrote:Cool, I'll give it a shot Playmaker, also I heard that increasing the Mid-Range Success slider will increase the number of mid-range shots taken. Is that true?

I've not heard that theory but if it's true you also have figure the CPU is going to knock down a very high % of it's Mid Range Jumpers if you increase the Success Slider.

It's an interesting theory but it'll come with a side effect i'd have to say
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby TC#10 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 am

Playmakers wrote:
TC#10 wrote:Cool, I'll give it a shot Playmaker, also I heard that increasing the Mid-Range Success slider will increase the number of mid-range shots taken. Is that true?

I've not heard that theory but if it's true you also have figure the CPU is going to knock down a very high % of it's Mid Range Jumpers if you increase the Success Slider.

Well I adjusted the tendencies as you said, but i don't see an increase amount of mid-range jumpers taken compared to the number of 3 balls taken and close shots taken... Is there any other sliders I have to change?

Also, what is the difference between a high/low Offensive Awareness slider and a Defensive Awareness?

Thanks.
TC#10

Postby Playmakers on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 am

TC#10 wrote:
Playmakers wrote:

Well I adjusted the tendencies as you said, but i don't see an increase amount of mid-range jumpers taken compared to the number of 3 balls taken and close shots taken... Is there any other sliders I have to change?

Also, what is the difference between a high/low Offensive Awareness slider and a Defensive Awareness?

Thanks.

I've always felt leaving things close to default for tendencies is the best way to go in 2K9.

When I avg out the coaching tendencies for all 30 teams the shooting tendencies came out this way

Take Close Shot-45
Take Mid Range Shot-55
Take 3-Pt Shot-46

Now if you look at the default settings everything was at 50, so the coaching tendencies don't stray too far from it.

It's kinda like if you go up too high or too low on certain sliders it's throws things out of whack.

As for the Offensive and Defensive Awareness here's what I found thanks to the help of a poster at Sportsgamer.com

Offensive Awareness
This attribute factors into player reaction during various events such as loose balls and double
teams.

Defensive Awareness
Used for help defense when the player picks up the ballhandler to help out a teammate.

I got it from this manual which is something I've never seen EA do for their basketball games.

http://2ksports.com/nba2k9manuals/NBA2K ... al_360.pdf

It's helpful for anyone who doesn't much experience working on Sliders and things for 2K basketball.....It helped me out a lot since I haven't really worked on many sliders for 2K games.

Most of my ideas and settings came from reading the manual
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby TC#10 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:23 am

ic, so ur saying that i should change back all the tendencies back to 50 and adjust them a lil (decreasing 3pt-shot and close-shot sliders) and i will get more of a mid-range game?

BTW as u mentioned that the coaching profile sliders also affects how the team plays (if they are more focused on shooting close, mid, or 3s), so if i want a certain team to play more of a perimeter game that focuses on their star player's strengths Lakers = Kobe, Miami = Wade, I should increase the mid-range shots slider in their coach's profile?

Also lol, are u playing on the PC, if so what rosters are you using? Cause i think the rosters have a big influence on how the game plays since there are tendencies sliders for each players.

Thanks alot bro
TC#10

Postby Playmakers on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:02 am

TC#10 wrote:ic, so ur saying that i should change back all the tendencies back to 50 and adjust them a lil (decreasing 3pt-shot and close-shot sliders) and i will get more of a mid-range game?

BTW as u mentioned that the coaching profile sliders also affects how the team plays (if they are more focused on shooting close, mid, or 3s), so if i want a certain team to play more of a perimeter game that focuses on their star player's strengths Lakers = Kobe, Miami = Wade, I should increase the mid-range shots slider in their coach's profile?

Also lol, are u playing on the PC, if so what rosters are you using? Cause i think the rosters have a big influence on how the game plays since there are tendencies sliders for each players.

Thanks alot bro

Yep!

I haven't had the time to dig into 2K9 as much for players and coaching tendencies......(damn NBA Live)

But from what I noticed just screwing around a combination of both (Players/Coach) tendencies needs to be re-worked aswell.

You can get more Mid Range shots using that approach, it's a daunting task but the day i was just testing things out to see how much of a difference it made and it was incredible......if your NBA junkie I'd definetly suggest using your knowledge and edting both tendencies (Players/Coach)

Unfortunatley, my hands are tied with Live 09 at the moment can't really do everything I want with 2K9 until later down the road.

You may also want to explore Pro Level.....I was told it factors Tendencies and Coaching into effect more often. I haven't checked into myself but the guys who spoke of it seem pretty knowledgeable.

I'm on 360 by the way
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby Leander on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:28 am

Playmakers Is the gameplay on Allstar and Pro the same? I am using your sliders but don`t want to play on Allstar. Can I still use the settings for Pro or do I have to change them?
Leander

Postby TC#10 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:39 am

Cool, I will look into adjusting the Coaching Profiles so that teams with Perimeter star players such as the Kobes and Wades will get more shots up in in the mid-range areas.

Just curious, Playmaker why are you more focused on LIVE 09? Is it better than 2K9?
TC#10

Postby Playmakers on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:20 am

Leander wrote:Playmakers Is the gameplay on Allstar and Pro the same? I am using your sliders but don`t want to play on Allstar. Can I still use the settings for Pro or do I have to change them?

I haven't played on Pro myself....

But you should be able to drop down to Pro and use most of the same sliders I have posted.

CPU might not shoot that well on Pro which is kinda a good thing if that's the case because then you can put some of their Shooting Success Sliders back up close to Default 50.

May also want to step up their defense a little if find scoring is too easy for you on Pro Level.

Sliders like Help Side Defense, Defensive Awareness and On Ball Defense would be good place to start if the defense needs increased on Pro Level.
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby Playmakers on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:29 am

TC#10 wrote:Cool, I will look into adjusting the Coaching Profiles so that teams with Perimeter star players such as the Kobes and Wades will get more shots up in in the mid-range areas.

Just curious, Playmaker why are you more focused on LIVE 09? Is it better than 2K9?

I actually enjoy 2K9 better this year buddy, I've always been die hard Live fan and although the game play is much improved in Live 09 there were still issues I had with the game in regards to players and teams not behaving properly.

DNA alone just doesn't cut it for me because it only effects for the most part tendencies which is cool. But Live 09 is still a game that is driven by ratings IMO and EA didn't do very good job on many key ratings that came with the game.

2K9 has issues aswell......that's why I said in do time I'm going to be fixing up my own rosters for this game to.

I enjoy them both, I like that both bring something different to the table this year. If i had to pick one game (luckily i don't) I'd probably be playing 2K9 over Live for the 1st time EVER!
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:35 am

Playmakers, what version of 2K9 are you playing? Xbox360, PS3, or PC?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Playmakers on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Pdub wrote:Playmakers, what version of 2K9 are you playing? Xbox360, PS3, or PC?

Pdub I'm on 360 version
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby TC#10 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:40 pm

I noticed that in 2K9, players like Kobe, Wade, Melo, Lebron type of players (perimeter swing-man) don't create their own shots such as take their man off the dribble then pull up for a J.

I don't think they added that animation therefore explains the lack of mid-range shots being take overall. Most of the mid-range shots that I have seen in 2K9 are mostly off screens or shots taken after the ball has swung from one side to the other, but none of the shots were taken off the dribble (one or two dribbles, crossover then jumpshot).

Also what i've noticed is that when the cpu player is triple-threat position on the perimeter and they are jab stepping right or left, the next animation is going to the cup strong or pass it off, it's never jab step right or left then dribble and the mid-range jump shot like in real life. 2K9 probably does not have this animation implemented which explains the increased number of points in the paint and not enough midrange game.
TC#10

Postby wade_03 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:36 am

What are the best sliders for 5 minute quarters on pro or all star?
wade_03

Re: NBA 2k9 Sliders thread

Postby Sportsgamer on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:50 pm

Is there a slider for breaking ankles?
Sportsgamer

Postby GuCcI08 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:03 pm

i am currently using the_future420 sliders. alot of people are saying its good. especially with o.s. outsiders roster.
Last edited by GuCcI08 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuCcI08

Postby Leander on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:01 pm

What are the best sliders for 10 minute quarters and Pro level? They should not be that difficult as I still have problems playing the game.
Leander

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K9 & Older