NBA 2K9 System Requirements-Can I run the Game?

Talk about NBA 2K9 here, as well as all previous games in the NBA 2K series.

Will your computer be able to run NBA 2k9?

Yes, it will run fine
100
54%
Yes, but I barely meet the minimum requirements
37
20%
No, but I plan to upgrade for this game
29
16%
No, I guess I won't be playing 2k9 on PC this year
20
11%
 
Total votes : 186

Postby Fitzy on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Pdub wrote:No. You need a core 4 sextuple processor at 4THz, quantum holoemitters and 30 terabyte drive.


thank goodness i just upgraded to that
User avatar
Fitzy
 
Posts: 5179
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:37 am
Location: Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Postby JWL3 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:13 pm

rwe515 wrote:
JWL3 wrote:
rwe515 wrote:Hey,can anyone help
I have a just purchased a new laptop this that is
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 2.2 GHZ

The
Video Card
Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

The Mobile Intel® 915GM Express chipset is a component of the Intel® Centrino® processor technology. Featuring the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900, the 915GM chipset enables 2x the graphics performance of the previous generation of platforms based on the Intel® 855GME chipset. The Mobile Intel® 915GM Express chipset also supports Intel® High Definition Audio (Intel® HD Audio)

Will this video card work?





I don't mean to be a jerk, but are you kidding me? Only the highest end laptop chips can play this game. You have a celeron and integrated graphics and are asking whether or not you can play this game? Didn't you notice jerkiness and lagging when you play Solitaire and Minefield???




Listen, man I was just asking a question.
I know computers well. I'm not an expert when it comes to video cards. That's why I ask an question to people on this topic. You didn't have to answer if you didn't want to.
I have played games like Solitaire, NBA Live 07 and Live 08 which works perfectly on my computer. Live 08 minimum requirements was Radeon 8800 or higher. I have Shader Model 3.0 with my video card. Those games had no lagging or jerkiness.
So, well see if it works on my computer. If not, I'll buy a new video card that is compatible.



Sorry dude. But seriously, a celeron and integrated graphics CANNOT play anything above pac man. You may get 5 frames per second. Very few people will deem that acceptable for any game because it will cause headaches and you'd be extremely frustrated.


And by the way, NBA Live was not taxing at all on video cards. It had poor graphics and it was an insult to gamers who had high end graphics cards. With 2k9 here, apparently we're talking about an actual game with high end graphics.


You can't upgrade a laptop video card by the way. Shader model 3 is only the bare minimum. Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap desktop. I built a brand new computer with one of the fastest vcards for under $700. Something like that should last you a good 4 years of gaming before replacement.


Q6600 quad core - $185
P45 Motherboard - $110
500GB HD - $50
2 x 2GB Memory - $40
Radeon 4850 Vcard - $140
Case - $50
Power supply - $40
JWL3
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:26 am

Postby rwe515 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 am

JWL3 wrote:
rwe515 wrote:
JWL3 wrote:
rwe515 wrote:Hey,can anyone help
I have a just purchased a new laptop this that is
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 2.2 GHZ

The
Video Card
Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

The Mobile Intel® 915GM Express chipset is a component of the Intel® Centrino® processor technology. Featuring the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900, the 915GM chipset enables 2x the graphics performance of the previous generation of platforms based on the Intel® 855GME chipset. The Mobile Intel® 915GM Express chipset also supports Intel® High Definition Audio (Intel® HD Audio)

Will this video card work?





I don't mean to be a jerk, but are you kidding me? Only the highest end laptop chips can play this game. You have a celeron and integrated graphics and are asking whether or not you can play this game? Didn't you notice jerkiness and lagging when you play Solitaire and Minefield???




Listen, man I was just asking a question.
I know computers well. I'm not an expert when it comes to video cards. That's why I ask an question to people on this topic. You didn't have to answer if you didn't want to.
I have played games like Solitaire, NBA Live 07 and Live 08 which works perfectly on my computer. Live 08 minimum requirements was Radeon 8800 or higher. I have Shader Model 3.0 with my video card. Those games had no lagging or jerkiness.
So, well see if it works on my computer. If not, I'll buy a new video card that is compatible.



Sorry dude. But seriously, a celeron and integrated graphics CANNOT play anything above pac man. You may get 5 frames per second. Very few people will deem that acceptable for any game because it will cause headaches and you'd be extremely frustrated.


And by the way, NBA Live was not taxing at all on video cards. It had poor graphics and it was an insult to gamers who had high end graphics cards. With 2k9 here, apparently we're talking about an actual game with high end graphics.


You can't upgrade a laptop video card by the way. Shader model 3 is only the bare minimum. Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap desktop. I built a brand new computer with one of the fastest vcards for under $700. Something like that should last you a good 4 years of gaming before replacement.


Q6600 quad core - $185
P45 Motherboard - $110
500GB HD - $50
2 x 2GB Memory - $40
Radeon 4850 Vcard - $140
Case - $50
Power supply - $40




Ok, man. No problem. I didn't take offense to what you were saying in your last post. Thanks for your suggestions and advice. I will try to just buy a used desktop with an updated video card. I already have another computer that has Radeon 9200. Would that work for the game or is that outdated?
rwe515
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 am

Postby Angelo on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 am

@rwe515

try to see if that video card can handle shader 3.0 and if it has that feature then 2k9 will surely work in your pc
Image
User avatar
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 5904
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:40 am
Location: Philippines

Postby rwe515 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:54 am

Kris wrote:@rwe515

try to see if that video card can handle shader 3.0 and if it has that feature then 2k9 will surely work in your pc


ok, i will try to see if my pc can handle shader 3.0
rwe515
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 am

Postby Pdub on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:27 am

It can't. The Radeon 9200 does not have shader model 3.0.
Everything is a copy of a copy. Eventually, it distorts enough to look original.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 13221
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 6:54 pm
Location: Pasadena, California, US

Postby fumanchu on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:31 am

how bout a Radeon X1950 Pro? that's what i have.. i think it has a shader model 3.0
:twisted:
User avatar
fumanchu
D' Energizer
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:49 pm
Location: Manila, Philippines

Postby ignatus on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:44 am

google is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shaders

Radeon X1950 supports pixel shadder, so, you will be able to play the game fumanchu
ignatus
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:36 pm
Location: Santander, Spain

Postby JWL3 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:42 am

Ok, man. No problem. I didn't take offense to what you were saying in your last post. Thanks for your suggestions and advice. I will try to just buy a used desktop with an updated video card. I already have another computer that has Radeon 9200. Would that work for the game or is that outdated?[/quote]




I think 9200 may be bare minimum. You wouldn't have fun playing it because it would be really choppy. Try to get a leftover machine from a friend or something for around $200. Or try Ebay. The funny thing is that for the $700 I mentioned before, your machine would be top of the line stuff for another 3-4 years. Video games will be like night and day. If you spend a lot of time playing games, it's really worth saving up for.
JWL3
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:26 am

Postby JWL3 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:50 am

I was totally in the dark about vcards (with the thousands of chipset types out there) until I read Tom's Hardware guide. They did a ridiculous number of benchmarks to rank every single video card out there. It'll be really strange if you don't find your vcard on their chart. You can use it to find out how your card ranks against the rest.

For instance, fumanchu's x1950 pro is a good middle of the line card today and should run the game well. El badmand's GTX260 is one of the very best video cards out there and may even be overkill for 2k9. (it's definitely overkill for NBA Live)
The difference between the best and average video cards is mostly in a measure called frames per second. This is how many times the screen updates in 1 second. 30 is pretty acceptable. 0 - 10 would be unplayable because you'd click the shoot button only to see the guy shoot 5 seconds later. (severe lag and jerkiness).


Look at the chart and educate yourselves. It's really worth your time as a PC gamer to know how much an upgrade in hardware will help your pc.

(And another thing, the best video cards need good processors to match or the CPU will be a bottleneck on your performance. - it's like putting a Ferrari engine in a Yugo frame.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gami ... ks,30.html
JWL3
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:26 am

Postby BadWolf on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 am

30 is not acceptable, 50 is the number to go for
even then you have to expect frame rate drops in some cases
User avatar
BadWolf
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:32 pm

Postby el badman on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:19 am

El badman's GTX260 is one of the very best video cards out there and may even be overkill for 2k9. (it's definitely overkill for NBA Live)

I run Crysis with all max settings, so 2K9 shouldn't be too much of a problem.
30 is not acceptable

It totally depends on the game engine. Some games (such as Crysis) will be absolutely smooth at 30 fps, especially since the human eye generally doesn't detect as much of a difference in frames as long as it's above 24-25 fps. For some other games, it will be more noticeable. It all depends on the engine they use.
El Badmanator IV: Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB; Dell 2K 27"Monitor w/G-Sync @144Hz; Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD; ASUS Prime Z270-A mobo; Corsair Vengeance @2400MHz 16GB DDR4 RAM; Thermaltake 750W PSU; Razer DeathAdder Chroma gaming mouse; Gigabyte Aivia Osmium mechanical keyboard; Smilodon Dirk-Tooth case; Creative 5.1 Surround sound; Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
User avatar
el badman
Last of the Meheecans
 
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:42 am
Location: El Paso, TX

Postby JWL3 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:16 am

Oreo. wrote:For those people who think 2K is lying about the next-gen graphics on NB2 2K9 for the PC.

Let's compare NBA Live 08 System Specs Requirements to NBA 2K9s System Specs Requirements: (bolded the most important things)

NBA Live 08:

OS: Windows Vista, XP, or 2000
CPU: 1.3 Ghz or faster (2.4 GHz for Vista)
Ram: 256MB or more (512 for Vista)
Disc Drive: 8x or faster DVD drive
Hard Drive: 3.0GB or more free space
Video: DirectX 9.0c
Sound: DirectX 9.0c

Video Card with 64MB or more memory and one of these chipsets is required:

ATI Radeon 8500 (Radeon 9500 for Vista) or greater; NVidia GeForce 3 (GeForce FX 5500 for Vista) or greater; Intel 915, 950, 965. GeForce4 MX series not supported.


NBA 2K9:

OS: Windows Vista, XP, or 2000 CPU |
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz Single Core processor or equivalent (2.8 Ghz for Vista)
RAM: 512 MB or more (1 GB for Vista)
Disc Drive: 8x or faster DVD drive |
Hard Drive: 10.5 GB or more free space |
Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible * |
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible |
Input: Keyboard or dual-analog gamepad
* Video card with 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets is required: ATI x1300 or greater | NVIDIA 6600 or greater | DirectX 9.0c compatible card with Shader Model 3.0 support.

See the difference? Better graphics = more commanding hardware? Can you finally see the difference?



That's good reassurance. I found it hard to believe it was next gen cause of the low $19.99 price (matching the PS2 version) and because I've been screwed over by EA so many times. I found it really hard to believe that 2k would treat us PC gamers so well when they didn't have to.

Anything that requires a 6600+ video card must be next gen or at least a cross between the PS2 version and the PS3 version.
JWL3
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:26 am

Postby bee-boy on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:55 am

yeah we get a next-gen game for only 19.99 thank you 2k
ImageWhether you Love him or Hate him you gotta Respect him.
User avatar
bee-boy
U-Mad!!!!
 
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:52 am

Postby vhan on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:43 am

what does it mean if it is in XBOX port?
User avatar
vhan
Pinoy Patcher
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Pilipinas

Postby bee-boy on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:58 am

vhan wrote:what does it mean if it is in XBOX port?


it means the 360 graphics and features will be on the pc
ImageWhether you Love him or Hate him you gotta Respect him.
User avatar
bee-boy
U-Mad!!!!
 
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:52 am

Postby vhan on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:12 am

oh well thanks!...
User avatar
vhan
Pinoy Patcher
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Pilipinas

Postby kusogaki on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:36 pm

which one is better??

GF 7200 or 7300??

does they have a 3.0 model shader?
kusogaki
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Postby Angelo on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:40 pm

If you all want a very good video card that is fast and good you all gotta buy this NVIDIA Geforce GTX 280 SLI

it is one of the best and it only cost = $189.99
Image
User avatar
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 5904
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:40 am
Location: Philippines

Postby Za man on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Will all what i can see here is the minimum requirements what about the recommended one. :roll:
We are the football Champions the winners of the African Cup of Nations 6 times last 2 on a roll.
User avatar
Za man
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:34 am
Location: Egypt

Postby puttincomputers on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:06 am

Kris wrote:If you all want a very good video card that is fast and good you all gotta buy this NVIDIA Geforce GTX 280 SLI

it is one of the best and it only cost = $189.99


ahem "only 189.99" thats like 189.99 more than whats in my budget. lol. thankfully i think i can run this game ok

kusogaki wrote:which one is better??

GF 7200 or 7300??

does they have a 3.0 model shader?


hey dont sweat it. you should be able to run it with either. i have a geforce7100/nforce630i and it has shader 3.0
User avatar
puttincomputers
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:59 am

Postby BigD14 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:55 am

I play NBA Live 08 with all settings:max @ over 60fps so it won´t be any problem :D
BigD14
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:25 pm

Postby planbzimp on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:08 am

NBA Live 08:

OS: Windows Vista, XP, or 2000
CPU: 1.3 Ghz or faster (2.4 GHz for Vista)
Ram: 256MB or more (512 for Vista)
Disc Drive: 8x or faster DVD drive
Hard Drive: 3.0GB or more free space
Video: DirectX 9.0c
Sound: DirectX 9.0c

I find it hard to figure how accurate these minimum specs are cause I've got a notebook computer on Vista with a Pentium Duo Core of just 1.86 ghz (not meeting the requirement of 2.4ghz), 3 gig ram and an integrated graphics card Radeon Xpress 1250 (only supports 128mb memory) and I can still play Live 08 on maximum settings smoothly.

I doubt my notebook will be able to run 2K9 since its an xbox360 port. But anyway, for those who wonder if their computers can run the game, don't be too worried about the minimum specs. I reckon minimum specs are more like the 'recommended' specs to run the game well.

BTW, try to get as much ram as possible before you consider upgrading your graphic card. This way you save the most money and receive the most performance boost on your pc.
planbzimp
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Australia

Postby el badman on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:18 am

If you all want a very good video card that is fast and good you all gotta buy this NVIDIA Geforce GTX 280 SLI

it is one of the best and it only cost = $189.99

First, I'm not sure which card you're actually referring to since even the GTX260 cannot be found under 280 bucks or so these days, and the GTX280 can't really be found under $350 (EDIT: nothing under 420 bucks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE). And with a card like that, you certainly don't need SLI, that'd be a complete waste of money.

Second, it's not really productive to only suggest a VGA without knowing what the rest of the system looks like. Many people do not have PCI-E 2.0 compatible motherboards, especially if they're at least 2 year old boards. And if your board needs to be upgraded, that will most likely mean to upgrade your CPU, RAM, case, etc.
Also, for the latest cards, you need two PCI-E cables to be hooked up to your power supply, which implies that you need a pretty beefed up PSU (at least 500W) to run them.

So just saying "buy that card, it's cheap these days!" doesn't really help.
Last edited by el badman on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Badmanator IV: Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB; Dell 2K 27"Monitor w/G-Sync @144Hz; Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD; ASUS Prime Z270-A mobo; Corsair Vengeance @2400MHz 16GB DDR4 RAM; Thermaltake 750W PSU; Razer DeathAdder Chroma gaming mouse; Gigabyte Aivia Osmium mechanical keyboard; Smilodon Dirk-Tooth case; Creative 5.1 Surround sound; Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
User avatar
el badman
Last of the Meheecans
 
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:42 am
Location: El Paso, TX

Postby cj_miranda23 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:03 am

Kris wrote:If you all want a very good video card that is fast and good you all gotta buy this NVIDIA Geforce GTX 280 SLI

it is one of the best and it only cost = $189.99


ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 CrossFire will eat that card alive :wink: :D
cj_miranda23
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K9 & Older

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests