Its_asdf's Raptors - Week 12 Recap + Gay Injury Update

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Its_asdf's Raptors - Week 12 Recap

Postby Radioman on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:45 pm

The Bucks still doing good in your association, lets see how that questionable Bass-Trade pays out in the end. Interesting match-up between Mayo and Gay.

I hope you can stay above .500 even the next week looks to be a tough one.
Radioman

Re: Its_asdf's Raptors - Pitching in for DeMar

Postby Valor on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:15 am

Its_asdf wrote:
Valor wrote:Good little article, but you're only losing him for a week or so anyways so shouldn't have that much of an effect on you record wise :wink:

Yeah you'd think that losing him for a good 1-2 weeks won't do much but my team kind of shot itself in the foot this week. The Eastern Conference standings are pretty tight at the moment, and I went from about 5th in the East to 9th just off of this four game losing streak.

Still just 4 losses out of 82 games though, you survived it (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Its_asdf on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Gay Out for Season with Broken Patella
All-Star Hopes Dashed for Raptors' Leading Scorer

What looked to be an All-Star year for Gay has been cut short by a potentially career-altering injury.

Published on Jan 19, 2014

The Toronto Raptors have announced that they are officially shutting down their star player Rudy Gay for the rest of the season as he recovers from a broken patella. Team doctors have assessed that Gay's left knee has structural damage and is scheduled to undergo surgery tomorrow. Gay had suffered the injury against the Minnesota Timberwolves when he collided mid air on a drive to the basket against Chase Budinger. He appeared to lose his footing as he attempted to land on his feet and that's when the injury happened, according to Gay.

"I heard my knee give out as I fell to the ground," recalls Gay in a somber tone. "I just couldn't get up no matter how hard I tried because I was in so much pain." With a slight grimace on his face from the lingering pain of the injury, Gay paused and gazed downwards towards his knee. After a brief sigh, Gay managed to utter "This was supposed to be my year, man." There was a large trace of disappointment and frustration in the tone of his voice.

Before the injury, Gay was scoring 21.7 points per game, which was the highest of his career so far. It also seemed that as the season progressed, the more promising Gay's season appeared. Starting off the season mainly as a jumpshooter, Gay slowly became more and more aggressive and less reliant on his shot. This culminated in a spectacular two week span where Gay managed to lead the Raptors in scoring for every game with a 27 points per game average after his coach had criticized his effort on the offensive end. Gay had also had many nights were he was also the most effective defender on the team, slowing down or outright stopping some of the premier forwards in the NBA. As evidence of his new found commitment to the defensive end, Gay was second on the team in both steals (1.5 per game) and blocks (0.9 per game). The critics who questioned whether Rudy Gay would ever live up to his ceiling were starting to dwindle in number.

"It's frustrating to see an injury like that happen to your teammate," said Raptors back-up point guard Michael Carter-Williams. "We rely on Rudy night in and night out. A lot of teams have a guy who can score a lot of buckets and another guy who is the best defensive player on the team. On our team, he's the best player on both ends of the court."

Gay was also parlaying his spectacular season performance into his first All-Star bid. It wasn't just his teammates or the Toronto media that were taking notice, but fans from around the league as well. Recent All-Star ballot results show that Gay was only behind LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony in fan voting for Eastern Conference forwards. "I don't think he would have started, but he would be playing in the All-Star game, that's for sure," said Raptors coach Dwane Casey.

Gay is not the only one reeling from this injury. The Raptors are reeling from a recent losing skid that put them at a 19-20 record. What once seemed like a probable playoff berth for Toronto is now looking incredibly grim. Help is on the horizon as starting 2-guard DeMar DeRozan looks to be nearing recovery and has begun practicing with the team. However, Gay's offensive and defensive potency will leave a gaping crater in the Raptors starting small forward position.

Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Its_asdf on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Martti. wrote:Impressive win over the Lakers without Gay and DeRozan, though with them out I don't see a lot of wins heading your way.

Yeah it'll be a tough season ahead... The East is always a dogfight for the final 2-3 playoff spots.

Vespasian92 wrote:Well, it seems Ross is going to have to start getting it together with Derozan or Gay around. You seem a little shorthanded on the wing in general, with Ross being the only other player with his natural positions there.

I'm a bit disappointed in Ross' production as of late and as a result he's been getting less playing time. He's being outplayed by MCW at the 2 even though he's got a less compatible skillset for the position (Ross is a better 3 point shooter + more athletic)

Radioman wrote:The Bucks still doing good in your association, lets see how that questionable Bass-Trade pays out in the end. Interesting match-up between Mayo and Gay.

I hope you can stay above .500 even the next week looks to be a tough one.

Yeah it was an interesting little story line to see unfold playing that game. Both former teammates who were underachieving on one team putting it together in another. Like I said earlier, sometimes 2k just does things that make zero sense. I honestly tried to find some sort of justification for it, but there's nothing else to say other than they got fleeced, hard

Valor wrote:
Its_asdf wrote:
Valor wrote:Good little article, but you're only losing him for a week or so anyways so shouldn't have that much of an effect on you record wise :wink:

Yeah you'd think that losing him for a good 1-2 weeks won't do much but my team kind of shot itself in the foot this week. The Eastern Conference standings are pretty tight at the moment, and I went from about 5th in the East to 9th just off of this four game losing streak.

Still just 4 losses out of 82 games though, you survived it (Y)

Yeah MCW has been doing really well when given prolonged minutes. I'm so torn about Lowry's impending free agency now. It's funny because a month or so ago I actually wrote an article that I would debut later on during the season (did this allat work when I was bored as shit) talking about Rudy Gay and Kyle Lowry and how they are an absolute lock for the Raptors to re-sign. With MCW's slow but promising development and Gay's knee injury, I'm not too sure anymore.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Re: Its_asdf's Raptors - Week 12 Recap + Gay Injury Update

Postby Radioman on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:05 am

Damn, this injury is really ... :?
Radioman

Postby Martti. on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:18 am

I guess #tankforwiggins, that really sucks.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Valor on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Injury bug strikes again huh, time for more ball movement and a more balanced attack on offense!
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Vespasian92 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Hmm, likely going to make a postseason push difficult. At least there'll be time now to get a good look at some young guys like MCW and see who can step up for you in the future.
Vespasian92

Previous

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood