MyCAREER: The A-Train Story (NBA 2K13) - 2014 Season

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: MyCAREER: The A-Train Story (NBA 2K13) - 2013 NBA Finals

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am

I am indeed, which makes maintaining the assist numbers a bit more work. As you can probably tell from the recaps, I'm a bit miffed about the lineup change which came out of nowhere and made little sense given everyone's performance and the dominating wins. The loss with him starting and handling the ball so much isn't a surprise; despite the assists he plays incredibly selfishly, ignores several open passing opportunities and slows the offense to a snail's pace. His +/- is pretty woeful, those two wins in Game 4 and 5 were facilitated by the quicker pace when I was running the show. As I've said before though, I'm regretting not making myself a point guard when I started my career.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: MyCAREER: The A-Train Story (NBA 2K13) - 2013 NBA Finals

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Rookie leads Nuggets to thrilling Game 1 victory

Begley had a career game against the Heat in Game 1

Andrew Begley may be playing in his first NBA Finals, but the first ever Australian Rookie of the Year and second Australian to start in an NBA Finals game looked like a veteran as he made an impressive debut. Begley scored 17 of his career high 31 points in the fourth quarter as he led the Denver Nuggets to a 120-113 victory over the Miami Heat in Game 1, as they inched closer to the team's first championship. He also flirted with another triple double, grabbing nine rebounds and handing out 19 assists while shooting 10/13 from the field, 4/4 from long range and 7/7 from the free throw line.

Dwyane Wade led all scorers with 49 points for the Heat in addition to collecting two rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocks, but it wasn't enough to withstand the Nuggets' fourth quarter assault. LeBron James had only 17 points on the night but contributed six rebounds and seven assists. The Heat also received 11 points apiece from Mike Miller and Mario Chalmers in the loss, with Chalmers also tallying three rebounds, seven assists and a game high six steals.

From the opening tip, it was a tight contest that saw several ties and lead changes. After Begley opened the scoring by converting on two free throws, the two teams battled back and forth through the first three quarters. As the third quarter drew to a close, it appeared as though the defending champion Heat were about to seize control after taking a four point lead. A three by Begley cut the deficit to 86-85 however, setting the stage for his fourth quarter performance.

After Chalmers opened the fourth period by hitting a free throw, Begley nailed back to back three pointers to give the Nuggets a 91-87 lead. Denver would not trail again, managing to answer every Heat run as Begley made a pair of layups and found his teammates for easy buckets in the paint. With the Heat forced to foul, the ball found its way into Begley's hands once again where he converted four free throws to conclude the game, neatly bookending the victory.

Regular season Most Valuable Player Andre Iguodala finished with 26 points and eight rebounds, while JaVale McGee added 22 points and 14 rebounds. Kenneth Faried also added 13 points and nine rebounds in the victory, while Andre Miller had 12 points, three rebounds and 5 assists. Game 2 will take place in Denver before the series shifts to Miami for Games 3, 4 and 5 (if necessary).

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: MyCAREER: The A-Train Story (NBA 2K13) - 2013 NBA Champi

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 am

Nuggets win Game 2 behind Iguodala's 39 points

Iguodala and the Nuggets are up 2-0 on the defending champions

Andre Iguodala and Dwyane Wade each scored 39 points, but it was the Denver Nuggets who emerged victorious in Game 2 to take a 2-0 lead in the 2013 NBA Finals. Iguodala also added nine rebounds and three assists for the Nuggets, who now sit just two wins away from their first NBA championship.

Rookie of the Year Andrew Begley, dominant in Denver's Game 1 victory, was solid once again with 11 points, five rebounds and a game high 18 assists, as well as three steals that all came in the fourth quarter and helped spark a furious finish that saw Denver wrest control of the game away from Miami and hold on for a hard fought 120-110 victory.

LeBron James added 19 points for the Heat to go along with five rebounds and eight assists while Chris Bosh had 17 points, both playing a big role along with Wade as the Heat came close to stealing a win in the Pepsi Center. Miami ultimately couldn't overcome Denver's 42-29 rebounding advantage however and some key defensive stops down the stretch preserved a Nuggets victory.

JaVale McGee added 22 points and five rebounds for Denver, while Kenneth Faried and Andre Miller both had double-doubles with 16 points and 10 rebounds and 10 points and 10 assists respectively. The series now moves to Miami for Games 3, 4 and 5 (if necessary).

Wade's 52 points lead Heat to victory in Game 3

Wade was unstoppable as the Heat won Game 3

The Denver Nuggets almost pulled off a gritty comeback win, but Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat weren't about to let it happen. Led by an incredible 52 point outburst from Wade, the Heat won Game 3 of the NBA Finals 120-116 to make it a 2-1 series.

Andrew Begley scored a career high 34 points in the loss, while also adding six rebounds, 15 assists and two steals, but the Nuggets found themselves in a hole early as the Heat jumped out to a 14-4 start and dominated for most of the game. Begley spearheaded a furious rally that saw the Nuggets overcome a double digit deficit and briefly take the lead but a final push by the Heat allowed them to jump back out in front, gutting out the close win.

LeBron scored 19 of his 24 points in the Heat's impressive first half, also finishing with six rebounds and 10 assists. Norris Cole gave Miami a lift off the bench, scoring 11 points. Wilson Chandler scored 14 points off the bench for the Nuggets, while regular season Most Valuable Player Andre Iguodala had a quiet night with 13 points, five rebounds and five assists. Kenneth Faried tallied another double-double in the loss with 13 points and 13 rebounds, while JaVale McGee had 12 points and seven rebounds.

With the series extended to at least five games, the next two contests will be played in Miami before returning to Denver for Games 6 and 7 if necessary.

Nuggets just one win away from first NBA championship

Begley and the Nuggets are on the verge of making team history

With just one more win, the Denver Nuggets can capture their first NBA championship. They'll have to get past a determined Miami Heat team though, which made them earn another hard fought victory in Game 4.

The Nuggets have shown plenty of determination themselves however, particularly top rookie Andrew Begley who had another outstanding performance. Showing more assertiveness on offense from the opening tip, Begley scored 17 of his team high 31 points in the first half, also finishing with eight assists, seven rebounds, two steals, four blocks and the game clinching three pointer in the 128-122 victory.

After falling behind by double digits by halftime, the Heat showed that they weren't about to go quietly into the night, pouring in the points early in the third quarter to make it a close game throughout the second half. After several lead changes, the game hung in the balance with the Nuggets holding a precarious 125-122 lead before Begley's three with 4.5 seconds left made it a two possession game, ultimately sealing the win.

Dwyane Wade continued his offensive onslaught in the loss, scoring a game high 48 points. LeBron James was also spectacular with 29 points, four rebounds and a game high 20 assists, the third highest assist mark posted by a player in the 2013 postseason. Mario Chalmers also had 14 points, five rebounds and seven assists for the Heat, while Chris Bosh was quiet with just 10 points and five rebounds.

Andre Iguodala scored 22 points and added five rebounds for the Nuggets, who also received 18 points apiece from JaVale McGee and Kenneth Faried, with Faried adding 13 rebounds. Andre Miller had 12 points, five rebounds and 15 assists in the win, but struggled with his shot as he went 5/15 from the field.

Denver Nuggets are 2013 NBA Champions

Begley and the Nuggets soared past the Heat to win their first NBA championship

The Denver Nuggets' historic season has come to a close in style, as they dominated the Miami Heat with a 132-94 victory in Game 5 to capture the team's first NBA championship. Rookie of the Year Andrew Begley was the standout player once again, finishing with yet another triple double with 28 points, 10 rebounds and 13 assists, clinching NBA Finals Most Valuable Player honours. He is the second rookie to win the award, 33 years after Magic Johnson became the first in 1980.

Perhaps mindful of their close call in Game 4, the Nuggets once again came out strong and never relented, continuing to attack the paint and maintain a double digit lead through most of the game. They led 96-68 at three quarter time and cruised to victory in the fourth, as a deflated Miami Heat team were unable to muster one last run.

Dwyane Wade, an offensive juggernaut throughout the series, scored just 21 points to go along with three rebounds, five assists and three steals. LeBron James led Miami in scoring with 27 points but picked up only two assists after tallying 20 in Game 4. Norris Cole had 18 points off the bench, while Chris Bosh was a non-factor with just two points, two rebounds and two assists.

In addition to Begley, four other Nuggets scored in double figures as JaVale McGee and Andre Iguodala each had 19, Kenneth Faried scored 18 to go along with his 14 rebounds and Andre Miller also registered a double-double with 12 points and a game high 14 assists.

Denver enjoyed a 55-35 advantage on the boards and also assisted on 39 field goals compared to just 18 by Miami. The Nuggets also shot a blistering 65% from the field in the deciding game, while the Heat shot just 42%.

Game 4 Highlight Reel

phpBB [video]

Game 4 Player of the Game Highlight Reel

phpBB [video]

Game 5 Highlight Reel

phpBB [video]

2013 NBA Championship Presentation

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 am

On Track With A-Train

Follow the life of an NBA rookie with our top pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, Aussie Andrew "A-Train" Begley!

June 5th, 2013

A-Train became only the second rookie to win NBA Finals MVP honours

There's so much I want to say about this team and what we've accomplished this season but right now, words escape me. So, I'll let a picture speak the proverbial thousand.

We did it! Thanks for coming along for the ride. :)

- A-Train

Andrew's Playoff Stats (June 4th, 2013)

GGSMPGPPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%3P%FT%TPGFPG

Andrew's Season Stats (April 18th, 2013)

First Round

Second Round

Western Conference Finals

NBA Finals

Playoffs Record: 16-2

Regular Season Record: 73-9

2K Magazine: Championship Edition

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Mark. on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:09 am

Congrats on the title! Man those were some nice Finals Series numbers too!
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks! It was frustrating at times with some CPU cheese and working around Andre Miller, but it was fun too, especially putting up those numbers. I certainly feel a sense of achievement, at least as far as video games are concerned. ;)

Funnily enough, I've looked at the rotation now that the Playoffs are over and it's back to how it was before Miller was put into the starting five, with me at point guard alongside Iggy in the backcourt, Chandler and Faried up front with McGee in the middle. A little too late to be helpful now, especially as I'll probably be back starting at shooting guard (or coming off the bench, who knows) when Ty Lawson returns next season. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Brilliant job bringing that first championship to Denver, and winning the finals MVP award! :)
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Alphasim on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Nice work! Like it.
Die-hard Cleveland sports fan for 30+ years -- Not recommended for the faint of heart
Alphasim

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks guys. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tkdb17 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Congratz are in order there. Some nice assist numbers through the year i'll say. I can't seem to get more than 3/4 on a good day!
tkdb17

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 am

Those are the kind of numbers I was getting early on, but after spending most of the year at point guard filling in for Ty Lawson I definitely got comfortable setting up teammates and found ways to pad the assist numbers a bit. It definitely helps when you're playing 41 minutes per game!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tkdb17 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 pm

I Play Power Forward for the Bulls :D (i sucked big time in the rookie showcase since i've never played the game before and that was the 1st time)

i'm now happily getting 20+ ppg and avging 10+ rpg but can't seem to get more than a few assists. Never seem to be able to pass to the person i actually want to pass to which don't help!
tkdb17

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 am

Even with icon passing?

Needless to say, racking up assists is a lot easier when you're playing point guard (or shooting guard with high team chemistry), since you've got the ball in your hands a lot and can make things happen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:03 am

Congrats on the championship, Andrew! It's obvious that your addition to this Nuggets team made them championship caliber, thanks in large part to those gigantic assist numbers. :wink:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks. :) It's definitely going to be interesting to see what happens when Ty Lawson returns next season though. I'm guessing my assist numbers will drop as he'll be back starting at the point but having found a way to rack up a decent amount of assists while providing more of a scoring punch starting at the two, I believe I can make it work.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Looking to capture a title myself, though I don't think it will be as easy cruising as it was for you. You seem to get more from your teammates.

I had 63 points, 12 rebounds and 21 assists in my debut and still it was a close game because my team can't defend. Having defensive anchor doesn't do anything.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Your teammates will definitely prove to be a bit of a problem there. While teammate AI is better in NBA 2K13, I find that they are still prone to silly and/or selfish play offensively and at the other end, they have a tendency to play matador defense with a very vague concept of help defense.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tkdb17 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Passing Icon?

I'm guessing that would be one of the buttons you hold and it then shows the next button for each person on the court?

I really should read the manual :lol:

Well I've got 1 game left of Nov in mine and the bulls are currently undefeated so i'm clearly not that much of a hinderance.

As much as I like Derrick Rose, he hogs the ball a lot hehe and when i do get my hands on it and try to get some assists everyone just stands around staring at me like i'm crazy :?

You going to be starting the 2nd year anytime soon? Your story was the whole reason i joined the site :D
tkdb17

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:48 am

Yes, that's icon passing. NBA Live calls it direct passing, but it's the same concept.

That's flattering to hear, I appreciate it. :) I'll be starting it at some point, right now I'm working on roster updates for NBA Live 2005-08 to get them out as soon as possible, so I've put my gaming on hold for the moment. I'll also be posting an article over the main site with some reflections on MyCAREER mode, kind of a follow-up review, having played through an entire season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Alphasim on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:51 pm

I wish we could be in the same league; I want to use your player as a rival, a target for my player to shoot for. :) You're already well ahead of me so I have some catching up to do. 2K13 needs the ability to add created players to your MyCAREER, or import another player's character into your league.
Die-hard Cleveland sports fan for 30+ years -- Not recommended for the faint of heart
Alphasim

Postby Axel The Great on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Andrew wrote:they have a tendency to play matador defense with a very vague concept of help defense.

That's the biggest problem I face with my teammates. When help defense is the clear solution to stopping the ball handler from scoring, they make a lazy attempt to block their shot at best. And don't even get me started on all the offensive boards they allow!
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Alphasim wrote:I wish we could be in the same league; I want to use your player as a rival, a target for my player to shoot for. :) You're already well ahead of me so I have some catching up to do. 2K13 needs the ability to add created players to your MyCAREER, or import another player's character into your league.

That's actually a really cool idea. Perhaps that's something that we could arrange ourselves once REDitor comes out, at least in a makeshift way.

Axel. wrote:
Andrew wrote:they have a tendency to play matador defense with a very vague concept of help defense.

That's the biggest problem I face with my teammates. When help defense is the clear solution to stopping the ball handler from scoring, they make a lazy attempt to block their shot at best. And don't even get me started on all the offensive boards they allow!

It makes up a lot of my "allow man to score" deductions, being overmatched by a faster, stronger or more skilled opponent, only to have my teammates stand aside and let him score if I'm beaten. Then there's getting that deduction because your opponent hits a ridiculous shot that you may have forced them into taking with the shot clock running down, but you're not quite close enough when they fire it up so you've "allowed" them to score.

MyCAREER has been a lot of fun so far, but there are definitely some frustrating elements that need to be cleaned up in future games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Needing a short break from the rosters, I ended up playing the first two games of the second season. Some rather interesting events, I'll have a proper update out soon enough but in the meantime look out for my follow-up thoughts on MyCAREER coming tomorrow.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Mark. on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 am

Looking forward to see how you are faring in the next season (Y)
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am

I'll probably play a few more games first and put together a little big of offseason coverage. In the meantime, here's the article I mentioned: Further Thoughts & Reflections on MyCAREER in NBA 2K13
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood