::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: 2013-14 Season Preview

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: BREAKING NEWS

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:56 am

What is the meaning of this? Getting the rights to another point guard?! Es Loca! Where did Dumars get the idea?
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:18 pm

SuperHueyNewton wrote:What is the meaning of this? Getting the rights to another point guard?! Es Loca! Where did Dumars get the idea?

We still have another two lottery picks too!
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:14 pm

EDIT: Wrong post, see below! :)
Last edited by Fresh8 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh8

Postby mpac on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 pm

wow 3 rookies for the coming season! talk about young guns :) OKC had a nice pickup with Theus
mpac

Postby Durant35 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:09 pm

My Thunder's gonna be deadly!
Click the pic!

THUNDER UP II: RESTART

an Oklahoma City Thunder Association
Durant35

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Updated: July 2, 2013
NBA Draft 2013 Recap
Woody Hannes provides an in-depth pick-by-pick recap of the 2013 NBA Draft, which resulted in the surprise selection of Dorrell Blackwell as the Number 1 overall pick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image
It’s that time of the year where David Stern addresses everyone from the podium at MSG!

By Woody Hannes
ESPN.com Writer

What a surprising NBA Draft! I still cannot shake off the euphoria that graced us last night with all of the surprise decisions – some decisions were better than others. The ‘others’ were very risky, very stupid, or both. The night kicked off with Syracuse’s folk hero Dorrell Blackwell being selected by Cleveland Cavaliers. The unanimously recognised ‘best player in the draft’ JJ Theus was not even picked up in the top 3 and that’s just an indication of how exciting of a draft this was!

Sit back and relax – I am going to give you a (sometimes contemporaneous) summary of the night.

1. Cleveland select Dorrell Blackwell, Shooting Guard, Syracuse

This was… surprising. Everyone, including myself, thought that JJ Theus was a lock but obviously the Cavs were worried about ‘injury issues’. That opened the top spot to one other player – Malcolm Cole. Why the Cavs did not pick him really bothers me. Did they see something in Blackwell that nearly everyone else did not see? I just think the Cavs have made the wrong choice.

Blackwell was Syracuse’s best player during the Final Four but didn’t even win the Most Outstanding Player award for the Final Four (that was Theus). Blackwell does join Carmelo Anthony as the second Orange swingman to lead the college to a national title. Funnily enough, the titles came 10 years apart. I see a lot similar between Blackwell and Melo (6’8” swingmen who love to score) but I cannot see Blackwell ever being as prolific a scorer as Melo. Melo has proven that winning a college title does not translate to NBA team success.

Cleveland should have picked Theus or Cole.

2. Boston select Malcolm Cole, Shooting Guard, Kentucky

The Celtics loved Malcolm Cole and loved him so much that they invited him to try out for the team three times before the Draft. Cole was more than happy to oblige and now has a chance to be the starting shooting guard for the storied franchise. After a season of no Ray Allen, the Celtics should count their blessings that they have landed one of the best shooters in the country.

Cole will be a great addition to the Celtics backcourt alongside Rajon Rondo. He will be a brilliant shooter off the bat and should have the ability to develop a strong scoring game. Cole may be the player who will push the Celtics back into playoff contention after a very disappointing last season. The young Wildcat certainly cannot wait for his chance as he celebrated wildly with his selection. He may get some slack though as he told a reporter later in the night, “I’m not only celebrating being picked up by Boston. I mean – I dodged a bullet there (not being picked by Cleveland).”

3. Portland select Vince Bellamy, Point Guard, Gonzaga (Then traded to Detroit in exchange for Andre Drummond)

In the first trade of the night and a very surprising one, Portland selected 6’6” point guard Vince Bellamy on behalf of Detroit. The two teams could not finalise the deal before time ran out for the pick to be made. The two sides wasted no time as they quickly made the deal official just two minutes after Bellamy shook hands with Stern. It all happened so quickly that he was given a Pistons cap midway through his ESPN interview with me.

Bellamy’s draft rights were traded for Andre Drummond. The 19 year old 6’10” 270 lbs power forward played sporadically (42 games played) last season but showed flashes of brilliance (1.9 PPG, 1.8 RPG in 7.4 MPG). Drummond became expendable in Joe Dumars’ eyes because he feels that the two Gregs are going to be enough to carry the team. Sorry Joe - I think you need insurance for Oden’s knees. Drummond looks like he can be a future superstar with the right tutoring.

The 21 year old Bellamy is an unknown and only gained attention after moving to play point guard two years ago. There are some good things about him – leadership, good instincts, great attitude, and size. The one main question I have is whether these qualities really make him more attractive than Drummond? My gut tells me no.

4. Orlando select Alexi Bilous, Point Guard, Ukraine

Bilous, a crafty scoring point guard, sky rocketed up the Draft after a great end to his European season and strong work outs with lottery teams. His agent made sure he visited all of the right teams and now Bilous can thank him for a gig with the Magic. It was quite a shock for everyone that the Magic reached so low down the list of prospects to pick him – especially since everyone had pencilled in a big man to be selected here. I am doubly shocked that the Magic didn’t pick up JJ Theus.

5. Charlotte select Aaron Phelps, Shooting Guard, UNLV

Michael Jordan does it again. This is another big mistake. With so many quality players who could help the Bobcats, Jordan had to pick another guard who doesn’t have the skills to play point guard but is not big enough to play shooting guard. Is this a trend that MJ is keeping going for the heck of it or is he really someone that you cannot teach a lesson? This guy is killing the franchise – someone get him out of here.

And why hasn’t anyone picked Theus yet?

6. Sacramento select Stuart Gooden, Centre, UCLA

The Kings had issues with Thomas Robinson towards the end of last season and I really think he is on his way out after this pick. Gooden is arguably the best defensive player in this draft and certainly has the skillset to one day lead the NBA in rebounds and blocks. No one can teach size and no one can teach instincts. Gooden has both and does not mind to lead from the defensive end. At UCLA, Gooden proved that he could change a game from the defensive end – a rare feat at any level of competitive basketball. The issue revolving around this man is whether he can play good enough offence to keep other teams honest.

7. Oklahoma City select JJ Theus, Power Forward, Connecticut

Stop the press here. This is the best news for the Thunder since they lost another heartbreaking NBA Finals. JJ Theus, against all the odds, landed in the laps of the back-to-back NBA finalists. THIS IS HUGE!

I am already predicting for Theus to have the same impact on the Thunder that Magic Johnson had on the Lakers some 33 years ago. A rookie Magic led the Lakers to the NBA title. Theus may not be the boss but I think he is going to be very positive for OKC. Since losing James Harden, the Thunder have looked lethargic and lacking that extra passion. Westbrook is killing the team’s atmosphere with his ball hogging. Durant seems unmotivated as if the is too easy for him.

I am downright positive that Theus will change everything. He will make the team fun again. He and Serge Ibaka complement each other well on paper. If all that fails – he has six teams he wants to prove wrong for not picking him. This is going to be really good to watch.

Trade: Dallas trades Pick #8 to Phoenix in exchange for Pick #9 and Channing Frye

The Suns weren’t getting much out of Frye since Steve Nash joined the Lakers. For some unknown reason, the Mavs decided that they really liked him and had nothing to lose by switching draft positions with the Suns. I guess the Suns really liked Alvin Pittman and wanted to trim another roster off the books. I feel like the Mavs won the deal though as they believe that Frye could help them and they also picked up a strong big man in Chris Dixon.

8. Phoenix select Alvin Pittman, Power Forward, Marquette

Pittman scored lots of points at Marquette so maybe that’s why the Suns wanted him. This was a terrible pick. For me, he is going to be a flop in the NBA. How many ‘prolific’ college scorers have been flops in the NBA? Too many to count!

And I shouldn’t forget to mention that Pittman is most comparable to Michael Beasley. And guess which team Beasley plays for? And how has he panned out in the NBA?

Shannon Brown, Michael Beasley and Alvin Pittman but no one to pass the ball!

Oh boy. I think my point has been proven.

9. Dallas select Chris Dixon, Centre, Syracuse

He is the most physically imposing player in this draft. Dixon destroyed all challengers during his senior season at Syracuse. Dixon’s size will still be an advantage for him in the NBA. Dixon won’t make any All-Star teams but he is one of the most NBA ready players in this Draft and should help Dallas right off the bat.

Dirk Nowitzki demanded for the Mavs to make moves to give him a fighting chance of finishing his career on a high note. This is an encouraging first step!

10. Atlanta select Ernesto D’Angelo, Point Guard, Italy

It’s interesting that the Hawks picked a 5’10” point guard out of Italy. That pick was booed heavily even by pro-Knicks crowd in attendance because they have no idea who D’Angelo is. The Hawks have plenty of point guards on their roster and I really thought they were going for a forward in case Josh Smith bolts in free agency. Instead of selecting Vladimir Toroman, they chose the undersized playmaker.

The highlights package that was shown for the Italian was a lot of dribbling, passing and more dribbling. Yes, he is a pass-first player with good handles and instincts but one who will be abused on defence.

11. New Orleans select Jevon Augmon, Small Forward, Alabama

Jevon is another NBA ready player with a solid all-around skill set. For the second consecutive Draft, the Hornets selected a player who fits in their future plans. Anthony Davis and Austin Rivers will surely enjoy the support provided by Augmon on both ends of the floor. Augmon was a reliable triple double threat for Bama on any given night. If he can do that in the NBA then the Hornets are in great position to continue recovering in the post-CP3 era. Great pick!

12. Toronto select Mel Barry, Small Forward, Massachusetts

The Raptors add another player to play small forward who cannot shoot the rock and will most likely rely on athleticism for wild drives to the hoop. Seems like the Raptors like ‘this’ kind of player. I just don’t like the fit here. Barry is a late bloomer – someone who didn’t come to basketball until later in his life. I don’t think his ceiling is particularly high and his skills just aren’t there right now. A waste of a pick if you ask me.

13. Detroit select Vladimir Toroman, Small Forward, Serbia

The worst kept secret of the NBA Draft was that the Detroit Pistons really wanted Toroman.

Good for Detroit for tabbing him. Bad for Detroit because there’s a reason why Toroman, originally projected as a top 5 pick, experienced a free fall down the draft board. Had it not been for Detroit, he could have even fallen out of the first round.

Toroman wasn’t even that good of a player this past season in Europe. His Draft stock was already poor coming into workouts. Then he measured at 6’8” instead of the 6’10” that had been listed at all of his previous stops. No team really wanted him except for Detroit. Joe Dumars couldn’t read the signs so he deserves all the karma that this pick carries.

(Wait – this is made exponentially worse because the Pistons traded Rodney Stuckey for Toroman. Someone fire Dumars now! Ok, maybe a little harsh but I couldn't help it)

14. Detroit select Jay Connor, Point Guard, Michigan State

Dumars made the easy pick here with the popular Jay Connor. Connor is going to be a great sparkplug off the bench for the Pistons and will get bums in seats just because of his roots. He’s played basketball his whole life in Michigan.

The Pistons now have three first round draft picks so it’s not a bad haul for them despite the fact that they took Toroman at 13. The Pistons have a good young backcourt rotation now and seem to be set on the Oden-Monroe duo to highlight their frontcourt. I think the team is really focussing on getting a versatile wing player even though they traded away Drummond – their number one draft chip to do a sign-and-trade with Atlanta for Josh Smith.

15. Memphis select Liam Washburn, Shooting Guard, Washington

Grizzlies signed Michael Redd last season to provide depth at shooting guard and now they have a young outstanding shooter to learn from him. Redd didn’t make a big impact for Memphis but with him and L-Train working together, the Grizzlies have a capable shooter on the floor at all times. OJ Mayo leaving for Dallas hurt the Grizzlies but expect L-Train to fill the void.

This is a good situation for L-Train as he will get plenty of good looks with Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph being capable passes out of double teams that they command. Mike Conley is an improving shooter but is more than willing to find his teammates open. After signing players like Gilbert Arenas and Redd in the past two seasons to add some outside shooting, the Grizzlies have a shooter courtesy of this Draft.

16. Milwaukee select Da’Vonte Hughes, Point Guard, Georgia

This is a very surprising move here with the Bucks opting for a volume shooter to back up volume shooters Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings. Perhaps it was because of their failed attempt last season to acquire JJ Reddick and the team was drawn to Hughes as a player that could score well off the bench. I did expect them to take Ike Ikedia here because the Bucks could use a player like him.

Hughes will be an unpredictable addition to the team and still has a lot of work to do before he can be considered a solid option coming off the bench. However, it’s quite encouraging as the Bucks play at a pace that will suit Hughes.

17. New York select Ike Ikedia, Shooting Guard, Nigeria

If Theus went first and Ikedia still went to New York, this pick would be the steal of the Draft. Needless to say, this is still a great pick here as the 2-guard from Nigeria was overlooked by so many teams and for no good reason. He is one of the strongest and fastest athletes in this Draft and has great defensive instincts. Ikedia was the highest jumper and second fastest player measured at the Draft Combine. He plied his trade last season in the Euroleague for CSKA Moscow and averaged an impressive 2.7 SPG and 6.2 RPG. He only averaged 8.4 PPG but did shoot at .405 from three point territory.

The Knicks did very well to find a young player with potential to fill JR Smith’s shoes who has chosen to test free agency.

18. Utah select Jim Humphrey, Point Guard, Arizona

Click here for pick analysis

19. Chicago select Julian Martin, Power Forward, UCLA

The Chicago Bulls at times looked like the best team in the Eastern Conference. They also looked like one of the worst. There was one major problem – consistent perimeter play. The Bulls have been crying out loud for a shooting guard and will do so again as starting shooting guard Rip Hamilton has announced that he will be testing free agency. The Bulls didn’t address this in the Draft though. They picked Julian Martin who is nowhere near capable of playing shooting guard.

Martin is still a strong pick though. He has some great natural skills and can score as well as anyone in this draft class. Most importantly, he seemed to be ready to get out of the shadow of his teammate Stuart Gooden so that he could be a leader for an NBA ball club. It just makes sense for him to land in Chicago where he will have a good chance to gain minutes behind Noah and Boozer.

The Bulls didn’t really have many options here and they picked one of the best players still available.

20. San Antonio select Mark Atkins, Power Forward, Michigan

21. Indiana select Shawn Norman, Power Forward, California

22. Minnesota select Martti Must, Small Forward, Estonia

I think this is definitely a strong pick for the Wolves but the fun fact here is that Martti Must hates Ricky Rubio. Must first drew and fired barbs at the Spaniard point guard at a camp four years ago in Europe prior to Rubio joining the NBA. Must had called him overrated at the time and has not (rightly so) commented since. It was quite awkward when someone asked him how he thought he would fit on the Wolves after he got his cap and walked off the MSG stage.

Must will give the Wolves another shooter to space the floor for Rubio to work his magic. If Must can stay active and get open for jump shots, he is going to be found open for shots. All I can say is that this will be fun one way or another!

Trade: LA Clippers trade Pick #23 to Minnesota in exchange for JJ Barea

I like this trade for the Clippers. They are going to lose the Sixth Man of the Year (Chauncey Billups) to free agency and needed a scoring backup guard to replace him. JJ Barea is as good as any player in the L to give you buckets off the bench at a rapid pace.

23. Minnesota select Dedric Walton, Small Forward, Iowa State

I can’t say the same for the Wolves as I did the Clippers. The Wolves wasted their newly pick on another wing player. They should have used the pick on a big man (Lewis Booker was still available) to stick in the post but it seems to me that they may be hedging their bets on shooters and perimeter scorers who can spread the floor for maestro Ricky Rubio.

24. Washington select Johnathan Jeter, Power Forward, Seton Hall

25. Denver select Terrence Watson, Shooting Guard, Michigan

26. Philadelphia select Duane Foster, Small Forward, Georgia Tech

27. LA Lakers select Stacey Emerson, Point Guard, Mississippi State

28. Miami select Sylvester Byrd, Point Guard, Illinois

29. Oklahoma City select Dan McDonald, Shooting Guard, Kansas

30. Brooklyn select Lewis Booker, Power Forward, Utah

What a steal for the defending champion Nets at the tail end of the draft!

What a good situation for Booker!

No one expected the hard-nosed Booker to be available at this stage of the Draft and to be honest, the Nets are a good squad but winning it all was a huge surprise. Both parties are right for each other. The Nets are weak at the power forward position and Booker is a player ready to step right into the action – he was the Utes’ best player since a guy named Andrew Bogut. He is just what Brooklyn needs if they want to challenge for a back to back title.
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: NBA Draft 2013

Postby Like A Boss on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Surprising pick by Cleveland! Was not expecting Theus to fall that low...
Like A Boss
Bulls

Postby hova- on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:28 am

What an odd draft. Completely surprising to see Theus fall that much - Thunder definitely got a steal with him even if he won't turn out to be a superstar.

Blackwell will be interesting to see. Will he be a bust?

Giving away Drummond for a PG is a huge step. I mean - there are a whole lotta good PGs in this league, but big men? I don't know. Hope you did not miscalculate with that. He ist still on his rookie contract for some time, so no need to give up on him imho.

Nice coverage, once again great art how you make this thing sounding like true world.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Lamrock on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 am

I love the Drummond deal... for the Blazers! Interesting draft indeed - Grizzlies look like the big winner. Looking forward to seeing what your rookies have to offer.
Lamrock

Postby Martti. on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 am

I am looking forward to joining the Timberwolves. :)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Mark. on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 am

Good round up. Looks like you pretty much got all your guys. Although Theus would have been interesting.
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 am

Hmph, hmph... Bellamy... then Jay Conner. Uh... alright? I think you should have kept Andre like Hov said, the third pick could have really have been used on any other player imo.
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 am

Im offcially a buck ! time to get that nutcase jennings out of here and make some chemistry between me and monta. And keep our retros as the default uni :)
Solaris Phase Two

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

mpac wrote:wow 3 rookies for the coming season! talk about young guns :) OKC had a nice pickup with Theus

Yep - looks like Joe Dumars is going with youth and building around the Gregs.

Durant35 wrote:My Thunder's gonna be deadly!

OKC has a killer starting five now. They are going to be number 1 and if they aren't, then that's going to be a huge shame. They were really lucky with this Draft.

Mattan wrote:Surprising pick by Cleveland! Was not expecting Theus to fall that low...

Yeah - the outcome was very surprising.

hova- wrote:What an odd draft. Completely surprising to see Theus fall that much - Thunder definitely got a steal with him even if he won't turn out to be a superstar.

Blackwell will be interesting to see. Will he be a bust?

Giving away Drummond for a PG is a huge step. I mean - there are a whole lotta good PGs in this league, but big men? I don't know. Hope you did not miscalculate with that. He ist still on his rookie contract for some time, so no need to give up on him imho.

Nice coverage, once again great art how you make this thing sounding like true world.

I love you enthusiasm and engagement man! +1 player point for you and your virtual player!

Now.... it was a very very odd draft. I can tell you - Theus is the clearcut number 1 prospect. He could be an All-Star on a bad team (i.e. Cleveland). The difference between Cole and Blackwell is closer but Cole is still better. All 3 are in a great situation.

You will need to see what people have to say about Joe D after this Draft. He has three PGs and Toroman on the roster. And then he's got two injury-prone bigs as well. Not the kind of team that you would want to give away a young player like Drummond. I know you are a huge fan.

And thanks again for your generous compliments. :)

Lamrock wrote:I love the Drummond deal... for the Blazers! Interesting draft indeed - Grizzlies look like the big winner. Looking forward to seeing what your rookies have to offer.

Yep - Drummond is most likely to get a starting gig in Portland so it works well for him. Let's see how Portland do with him there.

As for Grizzlies - you are behind in the depth chart but once you use points to improve your player, you should get more minutes.

And let's see if any of my guys are going to be busts. According to Valor, all of them will be.

Martti. wrote:I am looking forward to joining the Timberwolves. :)

I think you are a good fit there also. :)

Mark. wrote:Good round up. Looks like you pretty much got all your guys. Although Theus would have been interesting.

There was the temptation to select him.... but this will be covered in the next chapter. ;)

SuperHueyNewton wrote:Hmph, hmph... Bellamy... then Jay Conner. Uh... alright? I think you should have kept Andre like Hov said, the third pick could have really have been used on any other player imo.

Time will tell my friend. Time will tell. When you declaring for the Draft?

Dmastawwe wrote:Im offcially a buck ! time to get that nutcase jennings out of here and make some chemistry between me and monta. And keep our retros as the default uni :)

Jennings is up for Free Agency! (Y)

If he doesn't leave, then it will be tough for you to get minutes but it's a good place for you to get experience!
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Theus Surprised With Draft Position But Happy
8 July 2013
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JJ Theus sat wide eyed in the room during his introductory press conference.

When asked if he was disappointed that he did not get picked first, the former UConn Husky laughed.

“I'm surprised but look - I'm not disappointed. I can't believe you asked me if I am happy that I got picked by OKC (Thunder).”

Theus is more than just content for being in the NBA – he is absolutely thrilled to be a member of the NBA runners-up for the previous two seasons. Theus even believes that he could be the key to helping OKC win it all this upcoming season.

The Thunder hope that Theus is right as Coach Scott Brooks looks to hold onto his job. Despite leading the side to two straight NBA Finals, Brooks has been given an ultimatum. Win it all or out the door. Theus is the best thing to have happened for Brooks. The Thunder were never going to get any better via free agency or a trade. Theus conveniently fell into their laps.

Brooks has already addressed that Serge Ibaka and Theus would both start alongside Kevin Durant, Kevin Martin and Russell Westbrook. According to Theus, this starting five is going to be the best starting five in the league.

“I am being unbiased,” Theus told everyone at the press conference, “I am so excited to be here and the biggest reason is that I honestly believe that we will win it all next season.”

Cavs Have Big Plans For Blackwell
5 July 2013

News spread fast around Cleveland that JJ Theus and Malcolm Cole did not get picked to play alongside Kyrie Iriving. Dorrell Blackwell is going to have a hard time pleasing the tough Cavs fans next season.

Blackwell has just come off of a national title with Syracuse knows a thing or two about winning and he is confident that he and Irving will be able to form a strong partnership in Cleveland. The 6’8” rookie shooting guard has been told that he will be expected to start for the Cavs at small forward in order to accommodate for Dion Waiters.

“I’m happy to do anything,” Blackwell said, “I think that we have a good young team in Cleveland. It’s a tremendous honour to be selected first overall.”

Boston’s Feelings About Ray Allen Still Raw
11 July 2013

Who said that the Boston Celtics don’t have beef with Ray Allen?

The Miami Heat sharpshooter got the ultimate diss from the Celtics organisation as rookie Malcolm Cole was presented by the franchise to fans for the first time. In his hands were his new jersey. The number: 20. The name: Cole.

“I was shocked that they let me have my college number,” Cole said, “Ray Allen was one of my favourite players growing up. A lot of people say that I have a similar game to his. It’s awesome that I am allowed to wear the number.”

Cole wasn’t allowed to answer questions on whether he felt that the franchise was allowing him to wear the number as a way to distance itself from Allen, whom they had a less than amicable breakup last Summer.

The former Kentucky Wildcat enjoyed a warm reception and even had the support of elder statesmen Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett on the day. “He seems like a good kid,” Pierce stated. Garnett added, “I have seen some good things from him. Let’s hope it translates to the next level.”

Joe Dumars Pleased With Draft Haul Amid Criticism
3 July 2013

Pistons GM Joe Dumars may never ever live down the decision to draft Darko Milicic in 2003. He has done it again by this time trading away promising big man Andre Drummond to the Portland Trailblazers for the draft rights to little know Vince Bellamy all in the name of ‘upside’.

“He has a lot of potential,” Dumars said at the NBA Draft from two nights ago, “I believe that Bellamy could become a Penny Hardaway kind of player.” According to many scouts, Bellamy has a long ways to go to reach the level of a player like Hardaway. However, it was that potential that drew the interest of the Pistons front office as they reportedly changed their position on certain players up until it was time for the Blazers to make use of their third overall pick.

Bellamy is an athletic 6’6” guard who played a lot of the point for Gonzaga. His jump shot isn’t there but he has incredible court vision and desire on the defensive end. Does this justify his selection at third and then trading Drummond for him? Many are saying no.

Despite the widespread criticism for not only trading away a big man many expect will develop into a superstar but also for drafting Vladimir Toroman at number 13; Joe Dumars is holding out strong and telling everyone who will listen that the result of the 2013 Draft was stellar for the Pistons.

The Pistons also selected Michigan local Jay Connor, which brings their total of point guards to three. The Pistons selected 7’0” power forward Dion Webb out of Xavier with the number 12 pick of the second round.

“I believe we have a really good core group of young players who will help us going forward,” Dumars said, “I have complete confidence in the guys that we have picked up.”
Fresh8

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:36 am

I wanna see Bellamy pan out. An actual "good" player from Gonzaga Unlike that very large blemish on the face of the Bobcats :cry:

When am I going to declare for the draft? Do not know yet,I think depending how I do on your next challenge, I'll decide.
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 am

SuperHueyNewton wrote:When am I going to declare for the draft? Do not know yet,I think depending how I do on your next challenge, I'll decide.

(Y) Good luck with your decision.
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: Theus, Dumars, Cole

Postby mpac on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Cant wait on when the season starts for this! wait, will you also be playing preseason games?
mpac

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Do we get player cards? :D
Solaris Phase Two

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 pm

mpac wrote:Cant wait on when the season starts for this! wait, will you also be playing preseason games?

Thanks man. I don't usually play preseason games but let's see how free agency goes first. :)

Dmastawwe wrote:Do we get player cards? :D

Sorry - I don't have the time to make anything like that! :(
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Pistons Interested In Various Players
5 July 2013

After a successful NBA Draft, the Detroit Pistons have turned their focus to potential free agents. Forwards Josh Smith, JR Smith, and Jeff Green are at the top of their wish list and it appears that the Pistons have a great shot at signing two of the three of them with cap space abundant after the departures of Charlie Villanueva and Corey Maggette.

Joe Dumars is thought to be chasing the signature of Josh Smith very hard with the Pistons wanting to secure his services to start at small forward and solidify an already impressive defensive line-up featuring Greg Oden, Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight. The Pistons have also been rumoured to have engaged in sign and trade talks with the Atlanta Hawks regarding Smith.

Jeff Green has shown the most interest in signing with the Pistons and could be a strong consolation for Detroit if they fail to sign Josh Smith. JR Smith is expected to be asking for a contract in the range of the mid-level exception.

Disgruntled Richard Jefferson Exercises Player Option
6 July 2013

Richard Jefferson has not played much since arriving in Detroit and the disgruntled veteran exercised a player option on his contract to earn 8 million dollars during the next season. Sources indicate that he has done this out of spit and it all but rules out the Detroit Pistons from making a run at superstar free agent Chris Paul this summer.

Jefferson was spotted outside his apartment yesterday and told a reporter that he had to do what was best for himself. “You can’t expect me to leave that much money on the table and walk away,” he said, “It’s the last time I will have a chance to get that kind of money.”

The Pistons declined to respond to questions about Jefferson’s move.

Detroit Makes Offer To Oden
6 July 2013

Joe Dumars has continued on his mission to build a more inspired ball club by reportedly offering a sizeable contract to the injury-prone Greg Oden.

The former number 1 overall pick impressed Dumars enough to be offered a 3 or 4 year contract sources have indicated. Oden has drawn plenty of interest from other teams too though with suitors including the Houston Rockets, Miami Heat and New York Knicks.
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: Free Agency News

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 pm

No Jefferson y no Oden. Jeff sounds greedy and Oden is injury prone
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Valor on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Nice twist with the trade up, but I'm not sold. The last Piston big PG experiment was Rodney Stuckey and we all know how that turned out :lol: :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 pm

SuperHueyNewton wrote:No Jefferson y no Oden. Jeff sounds greedy and Oden is injury prone

? :)

Valor wrote:Nice twist with the trade up, but I'm not sold. The last Piston big PG experiment was Rodney Stuckey and we all know how that turned out :lol: :lol:

A surprisingly positive post from you.
Fresh8

Postby Valor on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Sit wrote:A surprisingly positive post from you.

I just said I'm not sold :lol: Guess that's positive from me in regards to the Pistons :P
Valor
Fire GarPax

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood