Andrew's 06 Bulls, Part 2 :: 07/08 (October 2007)

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Andrew's 06 Bulls, Part 2 :: 2006/07 (February 2007)

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm hoping he'll make it as a reserve. I'll be sure to post the full All-Star rosters when they're revealed as part of the All-Star Weekend coverage.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Nice to see that Ben Gordon is playing so well as a Bull still, even if it's only in the virtual world :wink:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Lamrock on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Disappointing that Gordon's not starting in the ASG, but he'll have the last laugh when you (probably) finish with 73+ wins.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:25 pm

We'll see. I certainly won't lose on purpose but I can see myself falling short of that mark. Fingers crossed Gordon makes it as a reserve.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bomb Diggity on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 am

Loving the dynasty, btw, sick.. bloody amazing dunks by Air Gordon there.. truly living up to that name.
Bomb Diggity

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 am

Yeah, you don't see that from him quite as often in the NBA. There was this one from a few years back though.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 pm

February 13th, 2007
Chicago (120) at Cleveland (89)
Gordon outplays LeBron as Bulls set franchise record

[ Boxscore ]

Gordon registered another impressive triple double against the Cavs

While some fans continue to mutter about the rightful recipient of January's Eastern Conference Player of the Month award, Ben Gordon continues to stake his claim for the honour in February as he led the Chicago Bulls to their nineteenth consecutive win, a new franchise record. LeBron James scored 22 points and had five assists but was outshone by Gordon, who registered his second triple double of the month and third of the season with 33 points, 15 rebounds and 18 assists while also adding six steals as the Bulls defeated the Cavaliers 120-89.

Gordon came close to achieving his triple double by the end of the first half, having registered 13 points, 13 rebounds and eight assists through the first two quarters. Although the Cavaliers trailed by only eight at the end of the first quarter, they struggled to keep up with the Bulls in the second quarter as they were outscored 31-15 and shot just 39% in the first half. Chicago received strong first half performances from Carlos Boozer and Kyle Korver, with Boozer scoring 20 of his 26 points before halftime while Korver tallied 14 of his 17 points, including 11 in the second quarter alone.

The third quarter saw Chicago extend the lead out to as many as 40 as Gordon made a pass to Boozer for a dunk and his tenth assist of the night early in the period, completing the triple double. He would also score 20 third quarter points as the Bulls outscored the Cavs 42-28 in the period, setting themselves up for an easy victory. Gordon did not play at all in the final quarter, which saw the Bulls shoot just 28.6% from the field allowing the Cavs to cut the final deficit to 31.

Cleveland were plagued by foul trouble as both LeBron James and Larry Hughes played limited minutes, each picking up five fouls. LeBron played 27 minutes while Hughes saw just 11 minutes on the court, his over-aggressive defense on Gordon forcing him to take an early seat. Damon Jones played 31 minutes off the bench filling in for Hughes, scoring 10 points and handing out eight assists. Zydrunas Ilgauskas was Cleveland's most consistent performer, scoring 24 points on 11/15 shooting while also grabbing 14 rebounds.

"We're proud of what we've accomplished so far," Gordon said of the Bulls' 19-game winning streak. "To set a new team record and equal the third* best record is something special. I'm glad I was able to do my part in us getting here, but it's truly been a team effort."

Notes: The Los Angeles Lakers also won 19 consecutive games in the 2000 season. The Milwaukee Bucks won 20 straight in the 1971 season while the all-time record is held by the 1972 Los Angeles Lakers who won 33 in a row...Chicago edged Cleveland 37-34 in rebounds, though Cleveland held a slight 10-7 edge at the offensive end...Cleveland were 13/16 from the free throw line. Chicago made 11/14 from the charity stripe...Gordon's 15 rebounds equaled his career high set earlier this month.

Current Record: 42-5
Next Game: vs Minnesota Timberwolves; 22-28 (February 15th)

* Remember that in this reality, the Houston Rockets' 22 game winning streak never happened; it took place during the 2008 season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Have we already seen that dunk from BG3 before? :lol:
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Martti. on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:27 pm

13 rebounds in a half for a 6'3 SG? That's insane. (Y) When I aim for triple-doubles with my guards, rebounds are always the hardest.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:07 am

Sit wrote:Have we already seen that dunk from BG3 before? :lol:

Yeah, not the most creative screenshot there but I am going to try and mix it up a bit more. The aim is always to have some significance behind the screenshot or capture something that looks good, but sometimes plays don't look quite as good in Instant Replay (since you can really notice clipping issues and the like) or I'm just too into the game to stop and take a screenshot.

Also, don't you mean BG7? ;)

Martti. wrote:13 rebounds in a half for a 6'3 SG? That's insane. (Y) When I aim for triple-doubles with my guards, rebounds are always the hardest.

Absolutely, the rebounds are certainly the hardest but if you can rack up five or six early, you're usually in with a shot.

February 15th, 2007
Minnesota (114) at Chicago (139)
Gordon, Bulls dominant in win over Timberwolves

[ Boxscore ]

Gordon celebrates during the Bulls' third quarter run

Ben Gordon continued his dominance in the month of February by registering his second consecutive triple double and fourth on the season, pouring in 50 points to go along with 10 rebounds and a career high 22 assists, as well as seven steals. He also scored 20 of his points in a third quarter run that saw the Chicago Bulls complete a comeback from a fourteen point first half deficit, leading them to a 139-114 victory over the visiting Timberwolves. It was also the sixth game this season in which Gordon scored 50 or more points.

Gordon's scoring barrage came out of necessity as the Bulls were made to work hard for their twentieth consecutive victory, a new record for the franchise that also tied the second best mark in league history held by the 1971 Milwaukee Bucks. The Bulls got off to a sluggish start, missing their first six field goal attempts and struggling to keep pace with the Timberwolves. Minnesota took advantage and beginning with a Wally Szczerbiak three, finished the quarter on a 20-10 run to go up by eight heading into the second.

The United Center grew restless as the Bulls found themselves down fourteen in the second quarter and completely out of rhythm. Gordon, who missed his first five shots of the game before breaking the drought with a layup, took charge in the period scoring fifteen points as the Bulls slowly crept back into the game, methodically chipping away at the Timberwolves' lead. Minnesota ultimately finished the half up 64-61 after the Bulls twice cut the lead to a single point.

Chicago simply dominated the third quarter as they tied an NBA record for field goals made in a quarter while also setting a new record for single quarter percentage as they shot 24/25 in the period. Their only miss came with 31 seconds left in the quarter as a layup attempt by Gordon was blocked. Their shooting allowed them to score 50 points in the third as they took the lead for the first time since midway through the first quarter and ran up a 25 lead heading into the final twelve minutes. Gordon scored 20 in the third while adding three rebounds, twelve assists and five steals. Minnesota would match Chicago's scoring output with 28 fourth quarter points but never threatened the lead, as Gordon scored six points to reach the 50 point mark and the Bulls cruised to victory after a hard fought battle through the first two and a half quarters.

Kevin Garnett scored 25 points for Minnesota while grabbing seven rebounds. Wally Szczerbiak scored 17 first half points to help the Timberwolves take control of the game but scored just seven in the second half to finish with 24. Eddie Griffin had a double-double for the Timberwolves with 17 points and 11 rebounds. Tyson Chandler scored 22 points for the Bulls and added five rebounds, Kyle Korver added 16 off the bench while Kirk Hinrich registered 12 points, six assists, six steals and two rebounds.

Notes: The Bulls are now tied with the Milwaukee Bucks for the second longest winning streak in NBA history at 20, trailing only the Los Angeles Lakers' record of 33 set in 1972...ten players reached double digits in scoring...all twelve Bulls players scored at least two points. Only Greg Ostertag and rookie Lumumba Hammonds went scoreless in the game...Chicago registered 41 assists to 31 by Minnesota...both teams grabbed 34 rebounds with the Timberwolves holding a slight 16-13 edge at the offensive end...Gordon is averaging 27.4 ppg to lead the league, a full point ahead of Dirk Nowitzki.

Current Record: 43-5
Next Game: vs Cleveland Cavaliers; 25-23 (February 19th)

Next up is the All-Star Weekend. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

It's BG8 now in real life, he changed his number. :P

You don't see 50 points quite often, with the exception of Gordon in this, but you see 22 assists even more rarely. But the two together, has there even been a 50-20 assist game?
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:29 am

He has? Still listed as #7 on NBA.com and Yahoo! NBA. In any case, he's still BG7 in this reality. ;)

I just looked it up and Isiah Thomas had 50 points and 25 assists in a double overtime game in 1985. He also had 10 rebounds to make it a triple double.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby George7 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:43 am

http://www.pistonpowered.com/2010/08/be ... mber-to-8/
Yes he did....

Wow!!What a triple double by BG7!!!!!
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Performance by Gordon!!
George7

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:01 am

Ah, good to know for the rosters. Thanks. (Y)

Yeah, Gordon's great run continues. Needless to say, if he hasn't earned an All-Star selection as a reserve and/or misses out on Player of the Month, I'll be pretty disappointed. He's not amongst the MVP candidates since his blocks per game is basically zero, I'm hoping that won't hold him out of the All-Star Game or prevent him from getting Player of the Month; if all goes well he'll finish the month averaging over 30 points and 10 assists, probably somewhere between 5-8 rebounds per game and 2-3 steals. Hopefully I'll go undefeated again but even if I don't I should have a pretty good record on the month, it should be more than enough for Player of the Month. But we'll see. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:32 am

Triple Doubles? Another day at the office for BG. :lol: 24/25 shooting in a quarter is crazy! :crazyeyes: You're breaking records gallore, Andrew! :applaud:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:27 am

All-Star reserves not announced yet, right? BG must be there.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 am

I do mean BG7. :lol:

And this is super fun to follow. Hoping the playoffs come quickly. :)
Fresh8

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:27 am

Axel. wrote:Triple Doubles? Another day at the office for BG. :lol: 24/25 shooting in a quarter is crazy! :crazyeyes: You're breaking records gallore, Andrew! :applaud:

Yeah it's definitely crazy. So close to making it through the whole quarter without a miss, 11:29 of game time without a miss and 24 field goals in a row isn't too shabby though. ;)

Thierry. wrote:All-Star reserves not announced yet, right? BG must be there.

Yeah, I'll find out when I advance to the game. I'll hold off on posting the All-Star Weekend results in such a way that I can account for his selection...if the game is going to play fair, of course.

Sit wrote:I do mean BG7. :lol:

And this is super fun to follow. Hoping the playoffs come quickly. :)

Thanks, glad to hear you're enjoying it. :)

I'm now convinced that the AI does get ramped up the longer your winning streak as there have been some truly brutal stretches in the last few games, particularly against the Lakers and Timberwolves.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 am

Well, how did you come back against the Lakers? You'd expect the AI to keep them ahead by 20. :P
Fresh8

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:12 am

Oh, it definitely wanted to, it was pulling every trick in the book. Pretty much a case of sheer determination, a bit of spamming of FSS layups and patience.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:41 pm

2007 All-Star Weekend

2007 Rookie Challenge Participants

2007 Three Point Shootout Participants

2007 Dunk Contest Participants

2007 All-Star Game Participants

EAST

Starting Lineup

C: Shaquille O'Neal (Miami Heat)
F: Chris Webber (Philadelphia 76ers)
F: Ron Artest (Indiana Pacers)
G: Dywane Wade (Miami Heat)
G: Steve Francis (Orlando Magic)

Bench

Ben Wallace (Detroit Pistons)
Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards)
LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks)
Chauncey Billups (Detroit Pistons)
Allen Iverson (Philadelphia 76ers)
Tayshaun Prince (Detroit Pistons)

WEST

Starting Lineup

C: Yao Ming (Houston Rockets)
F: Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas Mavericks)
F: Lamar Odom (Los Angeles Lakers)
G: Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)
G: Baron Davis (Golden State Warriors)

Bench

Marcus Camby (Denver Nuggets)
Pau Gasol (Memphis Grizzlies)
Corey Maggette (Los Angeles Clippers)
Ray Allen (Oklahoma City Thunder)
Mike Bibby (Sacramento Kings)
Amare Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns)
Rashard Lewis (Oklahoma City Thunder)

As you can imagine I'm disappointed, but not completely surprised.

February 16th, 2007
Rookies (89) at Sophomores (97)
Hornets' Paul leads Sophomores to 97-89 victory

For the fifth straight year, the Sophomores were victorious in the Rookie Challenge, as this year's crop of second year players defeated the Rookies 97-89. They were led by New Orleans Hornets' point guard Chris Paul who tallied 26 points, four rebounds and 12 assists in the game. A pair of Charlotte Bobcats led the way for the first year players as Ayeshi Tam scored a game high 28 points and point guard Malik Marshall added 24 points and 10 assists.

As usual, the same featured a dazzling array of dunks and lob passes but also a surprising amount of defense. Paul tallied six steals in the game which helped jump start some fast breaks. The game remained close throughout as the Sophomores struggled shooting the ball, connecting on just 41.2% of their field goal attempts, but a 17-10 edge in offensive rebounds helped keep them in the lead. Though the lead changed hands several times in the first half, the Sophomores would remain out in front for the entire second half, with Paul scoring 20 of his 26 points after halftime.

In addition to Paul's MVP performance, Andrew Bynum and Channing Frye both had strong games for the Sophomores. Bynum contributed a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds while Frye had 18 points and nine rebounds. Ignatius Tallas scored eight points, grabbed 16 rebounds, handed out three assists and blocked four shots for the Rookies.

Chris Paul and Malik Marshall provded an exciting matchup at point guard

Ayeshi Tam goes up for an up-and-under windmill dunk

Ignatius Tallus puts down the alley-oop

Marvin Williams sends back a shot by Liu Kuffour

February 17th, 2007
Joe Johnson takes Three Point Shootout crown with perfect round

Johnson with the Three Point Shootout trophy

Last year, Quentin Richardson set a new record in the Three Point Shootout scoring 28 points in the first round, besting the previous high of 25 set by Craig Hodges in 1986. New champion Joe Johnson topped that mark this year, scoring a perfect 30 points to defeat Stephen Jackson in the final round.

Jackson himself had tied the record in the first round, while Johnson scored 27. Rashard Lewis and Cuttino Mobley also had the hot hand as they weren't far behind with 26 points and 23 points respectively. Ben Gordon, who has been red hot during the month of February, struggled to a score of 12 points in the first round. Baron Davis also scored 12 points while Jason Williams and Chris Paul scored 11 apiece.

"I can't explain it," Johnson said of his record-setting victory. "Just one of those days when the rim's like a hula-hoop, everything felt good coming off my hand. I can't quite believe it myself." Johnson is the first player from the Atlanta Hawks to win the event.

February 17th, 2007
Richardson soars to third Dunk Contest crown

Richardson becomes the first three time winner of the Slam Dunk Contest

The Golden State Warriors' high-flying swingman Jason Richard has claimed his third Slam Dunk Contest title, becoming the first player to win the event more than twice. Richardson had a perfect score of 100 in the final round as he finished in spectacular style, catching a pass off the backboard for a 180-degree between the legs dunk.

LeBron James, competing in his first NBA Slam Dunk contest, finished as the runner-up. Though Richardson had already clinched the title, LeBron finished the contest in style as he performed a jaw-dropping 540-degree dunk to the delight of the crowd and even the champion as Richardson himself rushed onto the court to offer his congratulations.

"I had a lot of fun here tonight," Richardson said upon being presented with his trophy. "That's what the Dunk Contest is all about: coming out here, strutting your stuff, having fun, putting on a show. I'm proud to be the first three-time champion." Richardson scored a perfect 50 on three of his four dunks, each coming off a tough lob pass.

Ben Gordon and Kevin Garnett also competed in the contest. Gordon got the crowd fired up early with the first dunk of the contest, an elbow-in-the-rim dunk after catching a lob off the backboard. He missed his second attempt of the night however, a tough 360-degree between-the-legs windmill, as well as his replacement attempt. Garnett made both of his dunks for a modest first round score of 87.

Gordon's first dunk brought the crowd to its feet, but he came up short on his second attempt

LeBron catches the lob off the backboard and goes between-the-legs

Richardson's contest clinching dunk

February 18th, 2007
West All-Stars (124) at East All-Stars (132)
King James leads East to comeback victory

LeBron soars to the rim for two of his 41 points

LeBron James may have missed out on the Slam Dunk title last night but there would be no second place finish tonight. LeBron scored 41 points - the second most ever by a single player in an NBA All-Star Game - along with grabbing nine rebounds, handing out four assists and making two steals as he took control in the fourth quarter to lead the East to a 132-124 victory over the West. Dirk Nowitzki top scored for the West with 26 points in addition to collecting seven rebounds.

The East struggled early with turnovers and poor shooting, allowing the West to go up by as many as sixteen. All was not lost however as James combined with Dwyane Wade to lead a furious comeback in the third quarter, setting the stage for a wild shootout in the fourth. Wade scored 12 of his 22 points in the third quarter, also going on to finish with seven assists and two steals.

Kobe Bryant and Dirk Nowitzki each scored 10 points in the fourth quarter as the lead changed hands several times, but LeBron was spectacular with 19 fourth quarter points. It was Allen Iverson's three point play that gave the East the lead for good however, as they kept the West at bay and eventually sealed the game from the free throw line.

For the East, Iverson and Shaquille O'Neal both scored 15 points with Shaq also adding eight rebounds. Chris Webber contributed 18 points and collected seven rebounds. For the West, Lamar Odom scored 12 points, grabbed five rebounds and handed out three assists in his first All-Star start. Mike Bibby, selected as a reserve, scored eight points and had a game high nine assists.

Dwyane Wade blocks Kobe Bryant's layup attempt

Dirk Nowitzki denies Chris Webber

Kobe nails a three pointer over his old teammate

Shaq throws down over Yao Ming

Wade rises above Nowitzki and Stoudemire for the dunk

Steve Francis with a dunk in the open floor during the third quarter

Amare Stoudemire powers one home

The regular season resumes tomorrow.

Current Record: 43-5
Next Game: vs Cleveland Cavaliers; 25-23 (February 19th)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bomb Diggity on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Disappointed that Air Gordon not only got snubbed by the All Star Team but also that he lost both the 3PT shootout and the dunk contest.

Ahh well, better luck next time Andrew!
Bomb Diggity

Postby Martti. on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:23 pm

A real travesty Gordon was snubbed again. He didn't do that well during All-Star Saturday too. I hate it how in Live 06 scoring 28+ in the 3PT shootout is a piece of cake.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Well, these All-Star events don't really matter once the season is said and done. People don't remember if you're an All-Star reserve or three point shootout champion. They remember the NBA champions! I want to see Gordon finish the season strong and win that MVP. And I want to see the Bulls repeat.

Make it happen dude. (Y)
Fresh8

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 pm

Absolutely, there should be bigger and better things on the horizon. Really hope I can snag Player of the Month honours though, just to have something to show for all the triple doubles and other big games. ;)

I probably could've done better with the All-Star Saturday events but I must admit I didn't practice and not having played them for a while, Superstar difficulty definitely wasn't the best option. So be it though, it might've been a bit much if I'd won those with Gordon on top of everything else.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood