"Ain't gonna let nobody write it, but me" | NBA 2K14 PS4 MyCAREER | Year 6

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: "Ain't gonna let nobody write it, but me" | NBA 2K14 PS4 MyCAREER | Year 5

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:34 pm

Hell of a Process, that's for sure!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:54 pm

Featured Game: Philadelphia 76ers (139) @ Detroit Pistons (102), October 31st 2017

DETROIT, MI -- Entering tonight's rematch of last season's Eastern Conference Finals, Jackson Ellis made another bold proclamation, declaring that reigning four-time Defensive Player of the Year Andrew Begley would not be able to hold him below 25 points. Once again, his trash talk only motivated his long-time rival.

A-Train took the challenge to heart, holding Ellis to just six points on 3-for-9 shooting. Meanwhile, the 2017 Finals MVP had little trouble scoring on Ellis, racking up 32 points to go along with ten rebounds, 15 assists, seven steals, and two blocks in the defending champions' 139-102 victory. Seven 76ers scored in double digits with Carmelo Anthony and Terry Hanson adding 20 and 18 points respectively, while Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Greg Monroe led the Pistons with 22 apiece.

The Pistons are the only team in the league to defeat the 76ers in over a year, a feat they've achieved twice: once in April 2016, and again in March 2017. Both victories ended record-setting winning streaks by the 76ers, with the latter win preventing Philadelphia from becoming the first NBA team to achieve an undefeated season. In last season's Conference Finals however, the 76ers swept the Pistons before going on to win their fourth consecutive championship.

For A-Train, who returned to Philadelphia following months of speculation, it was a satisfying performance. "Look, Jack and the Pistons have got us a couple of times. You can talk some trash when you win. But we're the champions, and we've had some big wins over them, too. Any disrespect that comes our way only makes us more determined to prove our worth."

Begley also hinted at Ellis' remarks inspiring another goal for this season. "I'm a four-time Defensive Player of the Year, but there have been a few point guards who have had their best scoring games against us the past couple of years. I've been studying tape, and it's become apparent when I wander too much to get rebounds. Triple-doubles don't mean much if I'm giving up 25, 30, 40 points on some nights. It's not just about filling the box scores. My goal is to be a better lockdown defender."

That's bad news for the rest of the league, as the Philadelphia 76ers vie for a fifth straight title this season. With Carmelo Anthony and Terry Hanson both in the lineup, there'll be much less pressure on A-Train to put up numbers in Philly's Drive for Five.

76ers Injury Update: Melo and Booker Out, MCW Set to Return

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- Even though it didn't prevent them from winning their fourth consecutive championship last year, the Philadelphia 76ers are no doubt growing weary of their bad luck with injuries. Unfortunately, they'll have to ensure further misfortune.

The 76ers earned a decisive 139-102 victory over their rival Detroit Pistons in the second game of their 2018 campaign, but lost power forward Trevor Booker for the season following a devastating patella injury. A game later against the Minnesota Timberwolves, Carmelo Anthony suffered a concussion following a hard collision. Melo, who missed the first 77 games of last year's regular season, is expected to be out for 1-2 weeks as a precaution.

In brighter news, Michael Carter-Williams, who started 44 games for the 76ers last season before suffering a torn MCL, is expected to return to action soon. With Melo sidelined, it's likely that he'll enter the starting lineup, shifting Finals MVP Andrew Begley over to shooting guard and Terry Hanson to Melo's small forward spot.

Coach Johnny Davis is reportedly a fan of the arrangement, but it remains to be seen whether A-Train is on board with the possibility. He looked uncomfortable at times during the first half of the 2017 season, and the offense seemed to flow better when MCW was on the bench. Davis' preference for a dual point guard backcourt was speculated to be a factor in A-Train possibly leaving the team via free agency, though he ultimately opted to return on a two-year deal.

Melo and Booker's injuries, combined with the departures of Lavoy Allen and Marvin Williams, have left the 76ers' frontcourt rotation looking very thin. The 76ers haven't yet indicated whether they'll attempt to make any trades, or perhaps pick up a veteran forward to bolster their roster until Melo returns. They were unable to add any new players during the 2017 Draft, having traded both of their picks for Booker last season.

Around the League

Results, headlines, and rumours from around the NBA, mid-November 2017!

Taking A Break

With the release of NBA 2K23, I'm putting NBA 2K14 on the shelf for the moment. During that time, this story will obviously be on hold. I've had a blast with it so far though, and no matter how much I end up liking or disliking NBA 2K23 - I'm still forming an opinion and preparing to write reviews of both versions - I know that I'll return to NBA 2K14 MyCAREER and pick up this game again at some point in the future. It's simply too fun, and I love the idea of playing it through until today. Thanks for checking in so far, hope you've enjoyed the updates! It's been a while since I've maintained a story thread, and it's definitely been fun to get back into it here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:07 pm

While I take a break from this game and story topic, I'm commemorating the fun I had with some virtual trading cards based on the journey so far: https://www.nba-live.com/mto-nba-2k14-m ... ing-cards/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:58 am

Terry Hanson Suffers Torn MCL, Out For Season

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- The Philadelphia 76ers will be without rising star Terry Hanson for the rest of the season, after the high-flying swingman suffered a torn MCL in the Sixers' 133-88 victory over the Charlotte Bobcats.

Hanson, who came off the bench for the first time in his NBA career, played just seven minutes before suffering the injury on a sickening landing early in the fourth quarter. His benching came as a surprise to many after averaging just under 30 ppg through his first eleven games, with most fans and pundits alike assuming that he would slide back to the shooting guard spot upon Carmelo Anthony's return from a concussion. However, coach Johnny Davis elected to continue starting Michael Carter-Williams in a dual point guard backcourt with reigning MVP and Finals MVP Andrew Begley.

"It's absolutely the last thing we wanted, obviously," A-Train commented after the game. "He's a vital part of our team, he's a star for us. We've all got to step up in his absence, but it sucks. Terry's a competitor, I can't imagine how hard it'll be for him to have to sit out the year. We just want him to heal up and come back better than ever, because we all love playing with him."

This is the second major injury of Terry Hanson's career, as the third year player suffered a high ankle sprain mere minutes into Game 1 of the 76ers' first round series with the Toronto Raptors in last year's Playoffs, and ended up missing the rest of the postseason. The injury came just five games after Melo's return following a similar season-ending knee injury in the 2016 Playoffs.

"I'm heartbroken, but I'm not going to let it destroy me, or define my career," a defiant Hanson declared following the prognosis. "I'm still going to support our team and as soon as I can, I'll be back out there."

Turmoil Threatening Philly's Drive for Five?
By Skip T. Grind

A-Train encounters a triple team against the Bulls

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- The 76ers are undefeated so far in the 2018 season, and indeed haven't lost a game since March 2017. They're going for a fifth-straight championship, something that hasn't been done since the days of Bill Russell's Boston Celtics. And yet, things aren't exactly harmonious in the City of Brotherly Love.

Terry Hanson's devastating season-ending knee injury is just the tip of the iceberg. His benching in favour of starting Michael Carter-Williams - an overpaid and underperforming fifth year player whom the 76ers inexplicably signed to an extension - speaks to an even bigger problem that is said to be causing a major rift in the 76ers' locker room.

Rumour has it that four-time MVP and Finals MVP Andrew Begley isn't happy. The star point guard re-signed with Philadelphia this past offseason following months of speculation, and despite their hot start, he may be already regretting his decision. A-Train's bond with Hanson is well-documented, their chemistry undeniable. As such, he's reportedly not at all pleased with the unceremonious benching of his teammate, nor is he thrilled about having to share ballhandling duties with Carter-Williams.

"Terry's injury was a tipping point," one anonymous source said. "Andrew was already miffed about some of (Johnny) Davis' coaching decisions, not to mention MCW getting an extension long before he did. There are whispers that Davis is getting the blame for Terry's injury, bringing him in cold like that after benching him for no good reason. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a push for change on the sidelines."

Although it would seem uncharacteristic for A-Train to play politics like that, an Eastern Conference GM agrees it's feasible. "If I had a player who was averaging a triple-double for the fourth time in five seasons, in position to lead us to another ring, I'd be listening to him, and trying to make him happy any way I could," they commented. "He's been a model player since he came into the league. Ask anyone, and they'll tell you that if he's considering throwing his weight around and making demands, the team has messed up big time and left him feeling frustrated and disrespected."

Said another executive "If he ends up demanding out - and from what I've heard, he might if they can't work things out - it's going to ruin them. Wherever he goes, they're going to shoot to the top, and he's going to make the Sixers pay every time he faces them for the rest of his career. I can't believe they've even let it get to this point."

It's easy to paint A-Train as disgruntled and spoiled given the 76ers' success, but that's ignoring the large hand he's had in Philadelphia becoming a dynasty in the first place. He continues to play hard every game, having not missed a single contest since his rookie season. Whatever turmoil is going on behind the scenes, he's not letting it affect his performance on the court, and appears to be focused on winning as much as striving for any personal goals. Still, as the Drive for Five becomes more challenging in the face of Hanson's injury, A-Train's frustrations with certain front office and coaching decisions may come to a head.

A-Train isn't the only 76er who allegedly isn't happy right now. Carmelo Anthony's morale has apparently been shaky since last season, a by-product of watching the team win game after game while he was sidelined. The team has been very accommodating of Melo since he returned, and he's been getting plenty of touches, especially with Hanson missing almost all of last year's Playoffs, and now being ruled out for the rest of the 2018 season. Nevertheless, Melo is expected to explore free agency this coming offseason, and word has it that Philly will likely lose him.

Of course, Hanson should be back by then, a prospect that may well keep A-Train in Philadelphia. Indeed, letting Melo walk would have a silver lining, as it would free up a spot in the starting lineup, and allow the team to re-tool around the Begley-Hanson duo. Of course, it remains to be seen whether the team's relationship with A-Train will be further strained as the season wears on. If Philadelphia doesn't trade Carter-Williams and/or replace Johnny Davis, they may find themselves having to accommodate a trade request from their superstar.

That brings us back to the possibility of A-Train pushing 76ers brass to make some major changes. Another source suggests that that's not guaranteed, but also not as unlikely as some may think. "He's a team player," they insist. "He doesn't want to be the guy who forces a teammate off the roster, or a bratty coach killer." The source goes on to suggest that as long as Philadelphia is winning, A-Train may opt to be unselfish, even to a fault. At the same time, they say, it's not unthinkable that he'll suggest changes if he becomes too frustrated or believes that it's in the team's best interests long-term.

As for demanding a trade, according to the same source, it's not impossible either. "His loyalty is really being tested," they explained. "If he becomes disillusioned with that old school idea of spending your entire career with one team, it'll be easier for him to move on. He was strongly considering it before re-signing in the offseason, after all."

Despite all the rumours, the 76ers' on-court chemistry and performance remains impressive, and they're still favourites to win it all again this year. They certainly can't be ruled out, especially after another dominating start to the regular season. Even if they do triumph once again however, it may be their toughest campaign to date - emotionally if nothing else - and there's no telling what the team will look like next year. Until then of course, the 76ers remain the team to beat, and determined to rise above the gossip.

"Our goal is clear: another championship," A-Train has said. "There are always going to be challenges, on and off the court, but we're a team, and we know how to win. That sounds cocky, but we've got four rings that say we know a thing or two about getting the job done. We'll do what needs to be done to keep competing for rings." Could that include some tough conversations and big changes at the behest of their captain and MVP? It seems more likely than ever before. In any event, the Philadelphia 76ers' Drive for Five seems poised to deliver a captivating tale, regardless of the result come June.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:04 am

October/November 2017 Recap

Key Events

• 15-0 start
  • Trevor Booker injured for season in Game 2 (broken patella)
  • Carmelo Anthony injured for 1-2 weeks in Game 3 (concussion)
  • Michael Carter-Williams returns in seventh game, inserted into starting five at point guard
  • Terry Hanson benched when Melo returns, suffered MCL in first appearance as a reserve (Game 12), out for season

Standings

League Leaders

Players of the Month

Rookie Report

Around the League

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:36 am

76ers, Blazers Give the Gift of an Epic Christmas Clash

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- In 2014, the Philadelphia 76ers and Portland Trail Blazers met in an unlikely but exciting NBA Finals series. Their gift to basketball fans this Christmas Day was to produce another epic clash, featuring a wild shootout between their star players.

After becoming the first pair of teammates to score 50 or more apiece in the same game earlier this month, Andrew Begley and Carmelo Anthony repeated the feat, tallying 59 and 51 points respectively in the 76ers' 151-129 victory. A-Train also handed out 17 assists to go along with 12 rebounds, four blocks, and four steals. Damian Lillard led the way for the Blazers with 45 points, also dishing out 11 assists, while C.J. McCollum scored 23 points. Thomas Robinson contributed 22 points and 13 rebounds for Portland, while Arnett Moultrie had 11 points, four rebounds, and three assists in his fifth start of the season for Philadelphia, as Nerlens Noel continues to play limited minutes off the bench while recovering from a bruised sternum.

It was a close battle throughout the first quarter, before the 76ers began to pull away in the second period. Several runs by the Blazers brought them within fourteen at times during the second half, as they scored 40 points in the third quarter and 43 in the fourth. Philadelphia answered every run however, matching Portland's 40 third quarter points and shooting the lights out to score 45 in the fourth to seal the double digit victory.

"That second quarter killed us," Lillard commented after the game. "We felt good after that first quarter, and we went bucket for bucket with them in the second half. Unfortunately we dug ourselves that hole, and you can't do that against them." Portland fell to 14-14 with the loss, their fifth in a row. Following their NBA Finals appearance in 2014, the team has developed a reputation for squandering opportunities, including suffering multiple first round upsets.

The win was the 76ers' seventh in a row, after their 20-game winning streak to open the season was snapped by Jackson Ellis and the Detroit Pistons. It's the third time in as many years that the Pistons have ended a lengthy winning streak for the 76ers, and the second consecutive year that they've been the opponent to ensure that Philadelphia won't become the first NBA team to achieve an undefeated season. The 76ers have looked as strong as ever outside of the Pistons loss however, despite losing Terry Hanson for the season with a knee injury.

In addition to being the second time that A-Train and Melo have scored 50+ points apiece in the same game, it's Melo's third 50-point game of the season. In each contest, he's finished with the same total: 51 points. Meanwhile, it's the sixth game in which A-Train has scored 50+ this year, which includes a season high of 65 against the Memphis Grizzlies four days ago.

Although rumours are swirling that Melo will be leaving Philadelphia this coming offseason and A-Train is frustrated with coach Johnny Davis and playing alongside Michael Carter-Williams in a dual point guard backcourt, the 76ers' incredible chemistry seemingly remains intact, and they look poised to contend for their fifth-consecutive title even with Terry Hanson on the sideline. "That's all we're focused on right now," A-Train has insisted. "Getting back to the NBA Finals, and getting another ring."

Recent Headlines & Rumours

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:17 pm

December 2017 Recap

Key Events

• Went 14-1
  • A-Train & Melo become the first pair of teammates to score 50+ in the same game, and did so twice
  • Pistons ended winning streak at 20 games; third winning streak broken by Detroit in as many years
  • Nerlens Noel came off the bench for five games after suffering a bruised sternum

Standings

League Leaders

Players of the Month

Rookie Report

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:40 pm

Also, the Knicks have a generated rookie with one of the best faces I've seen yet: "The Ringmaster" Gabriel Carson!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:59 am

Loving the new Elgato HD60 I picked up!

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:08 pm

Highlights from a fourth quarter comeback against the Raptors.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:54 pm

January 2018 Recap

Key Events

• Went 16-0
  • No injuries for the 76ers all month

Standings

League Leaders

Monthly Awards

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:08 pm

Melo, 76ers Brass Still At Odds

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- Despite the Philadelphia 76ers' continued dominance that has them poised to contend for a fifth consecutive championship, Carmelo Anthony reportedly still isn't happy. The nine-time All-Star has made it clear that he'll be exploring free agency this offseason, and it seems unlikely that he'll remain with the team he signed with in 2014.

Melo is expected to attract considerable interest despite approaching his mid 30s. However, as one Western Conference executive noted, "If he's not happy with all that winning in Philadelphia, I'm not sure who or what will sway him to leave. That they're still playing as well as they are with him being so vocal about his displeasure speaks volumes about the rest of the team, and their chemistry."

Anthony missed most of the 2017 season after suffering a serious knee injury during the 2016 Eastern Conference Finals. It's speculated that his frustration stems from having to watch the team go on an historic run without his services, the emergence of Terry Hanson as one of the league's most explosive scorers, and disagreements with the 76ers' front office and medical staff.

It remains to be seen where Melo will end up, though it does appear that his days in Philadelphia are numbered. The 76ers would likely prefer to retain his services, but if Hanson can regain his form upon returning from a devastating knee injury of his own, it's expected that he'll slide right back into Melo's place in the starting lineup. Hanson's benching in favour of a dual point guard backcourt of Andrew Begley and Michael Carter-Williams was met with confusion and frustration, particularly from four-time MVP Begley.

"They'll be able to regroup if they lose (Anthony)", commented an Eastern Conference executive. "It's alienating and losing A-Train they need to worry about. If he or Hanson or both become available, we'll definitely keep an eye on the situation. The same goes for Melo. I'd expect there to be some big bids for him, even with questions about his attitude."

Kobe Ready to Say Goodbye, But Lakers Aren't

LOS ANGELES, CA -- It's a day that Lakers fans have been dreading for a few years now: Kobe Bryant has announced that the 2018 season will be his last. However, the team isn't quite ready to farewell the five-time NBA champion.

Despite the Mamba's assurances that he's ready to call it a day, the Lakers are eager to sign him to at least one more extension. The team has been struggling despite another strong season from LeBron James, and spirited performances from Kobe, who will be turning forty this August. According to sources, Kobe doesn't believe the team will be able to contend anytime soon, and even making the Playoffs this year seems like a long shot.

Everyone had lofty hopes when LeBron and Kobe joined forces in 2014, but the pairing hasn't yielded the success that the Lakers and their fans envisioned. LeBron missed most of the 2015 season due to injury, and the team suffered a humiliating defeat in the 2016 Western Conference Finals at the hands of the Minnesota Timberwolves, who came back from a 3-1 deficit.

The Lakers are hoping that the possibility of breaking Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's scoring record will encourage Kobe to return for a record 23rd NBA season. Kobe established a new mark for longevity this season when he returned for his 22nd campaign, breaking a record held jointly by Robert Parish and Kevin Willis. Given his age and the team's inability to contend however, the scoring record alone may be an insufficient pitch.

There are whispers that if Kobe doesn't retire, he might sign on with the Philadelphia 76ers for a farewell tour. Bryant was born in Philadelphia, and would no doubt be a welcome replacement for the reportedly disgruntled Carmelo Anthony, who is expected to leave the team this offseason. A year with the 76ers would likely offer Kobe the opportunity to break Kareem's record, and add a sixth championship to his resume.

A source close to Bryant expects that the Mamba will indeed retire as planned, but didn't rule out the possibility of one more season elsewhere. "Unlikely, but not impossible" they said, in regards to both a return to the Lakers or signing with another team. In the meantime, the Lakers remain in the hunt for a low Playoffs seed with just under half of the regular season remaining.

Other News & Transactions

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:41 pm

2018 NBA All-Star Game

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:39 pm

(Forgot the results for the rest of the 2018 All-Star Weekend!)

2018 NBA All-Star Weekend Results

Note that NBA 2K14 PS4 doesn't actually include the Dunk Contest and Three-Point Shootout, so those results are purely simulated. After a couple of failed attempts, it finally gave me the win!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:47 am

Finals Rematch Ends in Double OT, As 76ers Outlast Pelicans 131-125

phpBB [video]

NEW ORLEANS, LA -- In a rematch of last year's NBA Finals, the defending champion Philadelphia 76ers were once again triumphant. However, a determined New Orleans Pelicans squad made them earn it.

Unintimidated by the team that swept them in last year's championship round, the Pelicans kept pace with the 76ers all game, and took a lead into the fourth quarter. It even appeared as though they might grab the win in regulation, before reigning MVP Andrew Begley made a layup as time expired to force the first overtime period. The Pelicans weren't about to go quietly into the night, though.

After falling behind in overtime, a furious rally allowed the Pelicans to tie the game at 112. Philadelphia looked to hold the ball for the final shot, but a careless pass by A-Train was intercepted by Bob Lowry, who raced down court to take a potential gamewinning shot. To the dismay of the New Orleans crowd, it bounced off the rim, sending the game into a second overtime.

It wouldn't be until the final minute of double OT that the 76ers were finally able to seal the win, when Michael Carter-Williams nailed a three pointer for a 127-120 lead. MCW finished with 13 points to go along with six rebounds and five assists. A-Train led all scorers with 41 points and added 14 assists and 11 rebounds, but uncharacteristically struggled to take care of the ball, committing 13 turnovers.

All-Star guard Jrue Holiday topped the Pelicans in scoring, tallying 39 points along with eight assists and five rebounds in the loss. He also matched A-Train with five steals, and played impressive defense on the league's leading scorer, making him earn every bucket while running him ragged at the other end.

"Jrue's always a tough matchup," A-Train said after the game. "There's no quit in him, or anyone on that team. They made us work extremely hard for this one. It might be our most satisfying win of the season, because they really had us on the ropes all game." A-Train played a career high 51 minutes in the victory.

The 76ers also benefited from a big night by Nerlens Noel, who was a point shy of his career high with 33 points, while setting a new personal best for minutes played with 48. Carmelo Anthony added 18 points in 49 minutes. Anthony Davis contributed 14 points and 13 rebounds for the Pelicans, but suffered a sprained ankle late in the game. He's currently listed as day-to-day.

With the victory, Philadelphia has improved to a league-best 53-1, and still have a chance to equal last year's incredible 81-1 record. New Orleans are 29-24, and currently hold the fourth seed in the West. The 76ers will take on the Hawks in Atlanta on Wednesday, while the Pelicans will be in Miami to face the Heat.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:28 am

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:25 am

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:23 pm

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:10 pm

February 2018 Recap

Key Events

• Went 13-0
  • Carmelo Anthony out 2-4 weeks with ankle sprain
  • Set new career high with 83 points
  • Averaged 54.5 ppg
  • Scored 50+ points 8 times
  • Made fifth All-Star appearance

Standings

Playoff Picture

League Leaders

Players of the Month

Rookie Report

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:16 pm

A-Train Sets Second-Highest Scoring Mark in 134-106 Victory

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- Twelve years ago last month, future Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant dazzled the basketball world when he scored 81 points. This evening, he was on the floor when that mark was bested.

Andrew Begley capped off an incredible month in which he averaged 54.5 points per game by erupting for 83 in the Philadelphia 76ers' 134-106 win over the Los Angeles Lakers. The fifth year guard shot 33-for-44 from the field including 10-for-11 from downtown, and was 7-for-8 from the foul line, as he also tallied ten assists, six rebounds, and eight steals in a magnificent performance.

"I'm still trying to get my head around it," said A-Train after the game. "Just one of those nights". The five-time All-Star has had many of those nights this year, doing it all as the defending champion 76ers vie for their fifth straight championship despite losing All-Star swingman Terry Hanson for the season with a torn MCL. The team is also currently without Carmelo Anthony, who is expected to miss up to a month with a severe ankle sprain.

Led by the duo of LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, the Lakers jumped out to a 27-20 lead after the first quarter. After a back and forth battle through the first three periods, the 76ers entered the fourth quarter with an 81-79 edge. Thanks in large part to A-Train's incredible scoring night, they put up 53 points in the final quarter to race ahead and secure the victory.

"He's on another level right now," Kobe said of A-Train, who is once again leading the league in all five major statistical categories. "He's a throwback with those wild numbers. They're winning too, and that's what matters." Bryant, who has announced he will retire at the end of the season, certainly knows a thing or two about winning, despite the Lakers' struggles this season. The Mamba finished the game with 25 points, four rebounds, and four assists. At the current rate, it doesn't appear that he will catch Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the all-time scoring record.

LeBron had a team high 30 points on a dominant 14-for-19 shooting, along with six rebounds and six assists. Nerlens Noel added 20 points and nine rebounds in a winning effort for Philadelphia. While the 76ers are poised to lock up the best record in the league, the Lakers are fighting for the eighth spot in the West. Los Angeles is currently 25-34, leaving them with plenty of ground to make up to catch the eighth-seeded Golden State Warriors who are sitting at 31-28.

As for A-Train, the question is whether he'll set his sights on breaking Wilt Chamberlain's seemingly immortal record of 100 points in a game. Although known for his passing and eye-popping assist numbers, A-Train has taken on more of the scoring load with Hanson sidelined, and a disgruntled Melo in and out of the lineup. Asked whether it's a goal, he shook his head and remarked "Aiming for stats is how you throw away games. It always has to be about the team. A lot of things would have to go right for me to do that, within the flow of the game. Winning is the most important thing, and we want to be back on the podium again come June."

A look at A-Train's 50-Point February, Game-by-Game

It was an historic month for Andrew Begley, as the four-time champion averaged a 50 piece for February. A-Train scored 50 or more on eight different occasions, including an 83-point outburst against the Los Angeles Lakers to finish the month. Here are the boxscores from the thirteen games of his 50-Point February!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:32 am

Begley Erupts For 112 Points, Earns Place in NBA History

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- Normally, Carmelo Anthony returning to action and coming off the bench for the first time in his NBA career might be the most significant story of the night. As it stands, it pales in comparison to what many are already calling the greatest regular season performance of all-time.

Less than a month removed from topping Kobe Bryant for the second-most points in a regular season game with 83, Andrew Begley has broken Wilt Chamberlain's record of 100 points, which has stood since 1962. A-Train finished with 112 points to go along with 11 assists, 15 rebounds, 13 steals, a block, and only a single turnover in the Philadelphia 76ers' 162-95 drubbing of the Chicago Bulls. Melo scored 13 in his return while Nerlens Noel was the only other 76er to score in double digits with 15 points to go along with eight rebounds.

The Bulls had a more balanced scoring attack with six players reaching double figures, led by Derrick Rose with 19. Like everything else about tonight's game however, their team effort was overshadowed by A-Train's incredible scoring outburst. His 46 made field goals also set a new record, as did his 60 attempts. Begley also shot 10-for-18 from three-point range, and 10-for-11 from the charity stripe.

Philadelphia raced out to an early lead, and outscored Chicago in every quarter on route to their 67-point win. After the game, A-Train - who last month said he wasn't aiming to top Wilt's incredible feat - displayed trademark humility, crediting his teammates for setting him up. The four-time champion appears to have locked up another scoring crown with around 14 games left in the season, as he's now averaging a career high of 44 points per game.

Despite their injury woes, the 76ers have won 47 games in a row. Their only loss this season came at the hands of the Detroit Pistons and A-Train's perennial rival, Jackson Ellis. It marked the second year in a row that the Pistons ensured the 76ers would not complete an undefeated regular season, though in terms of championships and personal accomplishments, the rivalry between A-Train and Ellis has become rather one-sided. The pair teamed up for the first time in this year's All-Star Game, leading the East to victory.

Carmelo Anthony had started all 1001 of his NBA games before coming off the bench against the Bulls tonight. He's expected to remain on a minutes restriction until the 76ers' medical staff are satisfied that he's fully recovered from the severe ankle sprain he suffered last month. Melo has continually indicated that he intends to explore free agency this offseason, with sources close to the ten-time All-Star suggesting that he'll be leaving the 76ers, regardless of whether or not they win a fifth consecutive championship come June.

Around The League

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:33 am

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:49 pm

March 2018 Recap

Key Events

• Went 16-0
  • Scored a new career-high and NBA record 112 points
  • Scored 50+ points 7 times
  • Carmelo Anthony returned, came off the bench for the first time

Standings

Playoff Picture

League Leaders

Players of the Month

Rookie Report

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Nerlens Noel's Big Night Overshadows Begley-Bryant Duel As 76ers Down Lakers 120-77

LOS ANGELES, CA -- Entering the game, the headline was the final clash between the past and the present; specifically, the matchup of reigning MVP Andrew Begley, and future Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant. However, it was Nerlens Noel who turned in the most impressive performance as the Philadelphia 76ers continued their winning ways with a 120-77 blowout of the hometown Los Angeles Lakers.

Noel scored a game high 36 points on a blistering 15-for-17 from the field, to go along with 14 rebounds. A-Train had an uncharacteristically off night, shooting just 8-for-21 to score 21 points, and didn't hit double digits in scoring until the fourth quarter. However, he did tally ten rebounds and 15 assists to register yet another triple-double. It was also far from the Mamba's best game, as Bryant scored just eight points on 4-for-15 shooting. LeBron James led the Lakers with 21 points, and also had six rebounds and seven assists.

Despite the struggles of their top player, the game was never really in doubt for the 76ers, who are aiming to complete their second straight 81-1 season. The Lakers meanwhile are on track to miss the Playoffs, barring a spirited run in their final ten games, and a complete collapse by the eighth-seeded Houston Rockets, not to mention the ninth and tenth-placed Phoenix Suns and Utah Jazz.

After what will likely be his final game against Kobe Bryant, A-Train was full of praise for the Laker Legend who has announced his retirement at the end of the season. "What can you say? He's one of the very best to do it. It's been an honour competing against him, and I'm glad I've had the chance to do that. Quite a few of the guys I grew up watching have been retiring these past couple of years, and it's always sad to see things come to an end. They've got nothing left to prove, though. It's our job to carry on the torch and do them proud."

For his part, Kobe appears to believe the game is in good hands. "What he's been doing since he entered the league is incredible," Bryant said of A-Train. "Sure, there's the stats. When he dropped 112 a couple of weeks ago...man! But it's more than that. It's the competitive fire, going out and playing to win every night. That's my mentality too, the Mamba Mentality. It's what I learned from MJ, all those greats. It's awesome to see a new generation carrying on that tradition."

As for the rumours that Kobe might play one more year, possibly with his hometown 76ers, the Mamba has laughed them off. "Nah, I'm done. Laker for life!" he insisted. Begley, on the other hand, apparently hasn't given up hope. "As much as I admire players who spend their entire careers with one team...I'd be all for that. No question. He's so close to the scoring record. If he stuck around one more year, I know he could get it. I'd be honoured to be on the floor at the same time as that happening, especially if I was a part of getting him that bucket!"

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:13 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator